| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 201  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's really hard to make that decision to just put a book that you're not into down for good. I finally did it with Atlas Shrugged (during the million page long speech...I had had enough).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rachell37 wrote:
I gave up on Stranger Things Happen.
I think I'll move on to Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit. I've heard good about it (possibly from someone on here).

If you enjoy it (I did), I would recommend her autobiography/memoir Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?. I love Jeanette Winterson.

(edited for grammar)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 pm 
Dildo Queen

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

tons of helpful information about animal agriculture.
if you can call it agriculture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:35 pm 
Dildo Queen

also working on Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, which i found at the "free library" down the street from my place (there is a birdhouse-like structure in someones front yard full of used books that people borrow/take/trade, it's awesome).

then I'll be reading croissant by Inga Muscio, whcih i got for christmas!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:04 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

semiautomatic wrote:
also working on Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, which i found at the "free library" down the street from my place (there is a birdhouse-like structure in someones front yard full of used books that people borrow/take/trade, it's awesome).

Is it possible for you to share a photo of this "free library"?! I love hearing about individual libraries like that.

I am reading The Professor and The Madman and Kurt Vonnegut letters.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I love Simon Winchester! He can be a bit of a pompous windbag sometimes, but overall, I love his tangents and depth. The Map that Changed the World, and Krakatoa are my favorites.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

currently reading The Talented Miss Highsmith by Joan Schenkar that i got from my sweetie for the holiday. Also just finished the China Study (recommend it!).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

starrynight87 wrote:
I'm working on Quiet by Susan Cain.

Me too. I was really into it for a while, but it's not the best for reading before bed. Feels like [interesting] homework.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I love Simon Winchester! He can be a bit of a pompous windbag sometimes, but overall, I love his tangents and depth. The Map that Changed the World, and Krakatoa are my favorites.

i'd loved 'the professor and the madman'
one of my fave books on books

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, got it a few weeks ago at the library because the PPK seems to love it so much, and you haven't led me astray yet!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 am 
Shopped till she dropped

semiautomatic wrote:

I really liked that book when I read it years ago. It meant a lot to me at the time, but now I really can't remember much about it. It's about time for a reread.

Oh, when I first read your comment, semi, I thought it said Inigo Montoya, and wondered why in the world a fictional swordsman would have written a book titled Croissant, filtered or not.

I finally finished Storm of Swords after devouring the last 15% on the train home after Christmas and now I'm a couple chapters into the 4th Game of Thrones book, A Feast for Crows. I'm really enjoying this series, but I can't wait to finish it so I can move on to other things. I'm tempted to read through The Hobbit and Lard of the Rings, but I don't think I want to be committed to another sprawling pseudo-medieval fantasy series just yet.

/dork

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Is that the same book as The Surgeon of Crowthorne, the one about the Oxford English Dictionary? I loved that. I also really liked his Prison Diary, Argentina about when he was arrested on suspicion of spying during the Falklands War.

I am currently hugely enjoying Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George, whose books are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shy Mox wrote:
Reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, got it a few weeks ago at the library because the PPK seems to love it so much, and you haven't led me astray yet!

i mentioned a page or so back that ATGIB is my absolute favorite book of all time. i hope you adore it. i re-read it every year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jogirl wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Is that the same book as The Surgeon of Crowthorne, the one about the Oxford English Dictionary? I loved that. I also really liked his Prison Diary, Argentina about when he was arrested on suspicion of spying during the Falklands War.

I am currently hugely enjoying Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George, whose books are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

yes, it seems to be, a quick wiki search turns up that 'the surgeon of crothorne' was renamed when it was published in the USA......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Surgeon_of_Crowthorne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:25 am 
Nailed to the V

allularpunk wrote:
Right now I am reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Kind of obsessed with Jules Verne right now, having also read Journey to the Center of the Earth and Around the World in 80 Days within the past couple of months. He is so precise and hilarious, but also serious, but fun!

Yeaaah! I can't explain how come I have never read Jules Verne!
(...Just started Journey to the center of the earth)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

kara kara wrote:
I finally finished Storm of Swords after devouring the last 15% on the train home after Christmas and now I'm a couple chapters into the 4th Game of Thrones book, A Feast for Crows. I'm really enjoying this series, but I can't wait to finish it so I can move on to other things. I'm tempted to read through The Hobbit and Lard of the Rings, but I don't think I want to be committed to another sprawling pseudo-medieval fantasy series just yet.
/dork

I've been going through the same thing. I want to reread Lard of the Rings but don't know if I want to commit that much time when I have so many other books on my to-read list. And I adore the Song of Ice and Fire books and was dead to the world for a few months earlier this year as I devoured them.

Somehow I have never read a full Simon Winchester book. I have read lots of essays of his in various anthologies and have always enjoyed them but haven't gotten around to his books. Good to see so many recommendations.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm about halfway through 1Q84.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Oranges.... I quite liked it, but it left me wanting more. I might have to get her autobiography.

I'm now reading Snobbery with Violence by M C Beaton. It's the first in a series of Edwardian mysteries (I think they're meant to be murder mysteries, but I haven't run into a murder yet and I'm already 21% through it). I'm trying to get through this one quickly so I can determine whether or not I want to pay almost £5 for the 2nd book and get the last 2 for 99p each while they're still on sale.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I finished Live from New York (SNL anecdotes) and it was generally annoying. Kept me interested though for its gossip value.

Now what to read next! Imma pick something you guys have been reading because I didn't even have three books that I considered favorite enough to list in the three favorites thread. I think I'll re-read We Have Always Lived in the Castle for now because I didn't really feel I absorbed the story and characters in my first go through, I was focusing too much on style and authorly technique. In fact my reading list 2012 was so unmemorable, I don't even remember what I read. I guess I could scroll through this thread and refresh my memory, but meh. I read some great short stories this year though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I finished Monkey on a Stick. I don't know what to think about it. It was well-written, I think. Honestly I'm just distracted by how BAD people were. Lots of drugs and guns. My mom's response was that the 70's were a different time. Um? Content aside, I thought it was written in such a way that made me want to keep reading, which usually merits a 'good' rating from me.

I'm now on to Sloane Crosby's I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I'm walking a line between liking it and thinking that she's patting herself on the back a little too much. Like the writing is witty and she's just sitting back thinking, yeah, that was a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

fisticuffs wrote:
I'm about halfway through 1Q84.

This book gave me intense nightmares. Have you noticed the narration over-reminds the reader about parts that have obviously happened? Overall I loved it- it's wild to think about how it's translated. What do you think about it so far?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ndpittman wrote:
I'm now on to Sloane Crosby's I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I'm walking a line between liking it and thinking that she's patting herself on the back a little too much. Like the writing is witty and she's just sitting back thinking, yeah, that was a good one.

That's how I felt when I read it. I liked it, but I felt very unfullfilled by the time I finished it. I think I just can't read comedy writing like that - there's never really a point that the writer gets to. I never really "get" stand-up comedians, and I feel like this is the same sort of thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

I am reading Debt: The First 5000 Years. It is fascinating.

I also just started Angelmaker. Love the writing so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Arisaig wrote:
I am reading Debt: The First 5000 Years. It is fascinating.

Oh man. My ex read that and loved it (which is great!) but that meant that all I heard about for the next month was debt this, debt that (not great!).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just started "A Working Theory if Love" and I am really enjoying it. It's about a guy who's Dad killed himself and left behind tons of journals. Then they use the journals to attempt to give a computer artificial intelligence and now he's having convos with his Dad. Except it's not.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 5009 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 201  Next