| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mourning for the dairy I don't even want to eat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 am 
Tofu Pup

So I'm currently in the throws of transitioning to be vegan and I'm up to about 3/4 dairy and egg free days a week with no dairy being kept in my house.

I've suddenly realised that I'm very lactose intolerant and have been putting up with alot without even thinking it could be the dairy. All of a sudden on my dairy free days I don't have cramps that I thought were due to a med I'm on, I also have more energy and am able to eat breakfast because the morning nausea is gone.

I know it's completely insane because I had decided to give up dairy anyway but I'm actually really sad! It's like when it was my choice I was cool with it but now I have another really convenient reason to do it too it's like I'm mourning all the cheese and milkshakes that could have been. It also makes me think that I might have been planning to cheat all along even though I've felt completely committed and it hasn't even occurred to me that I wouldn't be Vegan for life.

Basically I'm completely insane - I should be stoked that there's this amazing fringe benefit to eating in line with my ethics but instead I'm moping...

Any comiserations? Anyone think I'm a moron?

Post subject: Re: Mourning for the dairy I don't even want to eat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:15 am 
Tofu Pup

Really sorry guys I meant to put this in food - didn't realise I was on the wrong board.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Try to think positive thoughts and focus on all the amazing foods you CAN eat! Another thing that helped me (even if I've never been a fan of dairy) was to look at documentary films about the dairy industry. By knowing you're saving lives and suffering of innocent, thinking and feeling creatures it may be easier. IMO going lacto-ovo doesn't get you all the way, dairy and eggs are a huge deal sufferingwise (sorry if i misspelled that).
You're doing a terrific thing by going vegan! <3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:57 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

It happens! When I went vegan about 13 years ago I think I mourned, wait for it, Dunkin Donuts blueberry mufffins! Of all things it was those intensely rich super fatty verging on greasy muffins. I actually went vegan and then lost my v to those muffins, and it was a process for me. Maybe 3 months before I could give them up! In the interim I made sure everything else in my life was vegan, however. I found something similar in richness lately - Duncan Hines Carrot cake mix made with apple butter to replace the eggs! I have such a 'fat' tooth, not a sweet tooth.

Anyways I'm hoping by sharing this you can find some solace that it's a process for many and wasn't just a black and white delineation where one day you're an omni and the next you're vegan! If you keep at it and don't fall apart when you slip up and it's something you really want, you'll be vegan soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Quote:
It happens! When I went vegan about 13 years ago I think I mourned, wait for it, Dunkin Donuts blueberry mufffins! Of all things it was those intensely rich super fatty verging on greasy muffins. I actually went vegan and then lost my v to those muffins, and it was a process for me. Maybe 3 months before I could give them up! In the interim I made sure everything else in my life was vegan, however. I found something similar in richness lately - Duncan Hines Carrot cake mix made with apple butter to replace the eggs! I have such a 'fat' tooth, not a sweet tooth.

Anyways I'm hoping by sharing this you can find some solace that it's a process for many and wasn't just a black and white delineation where one day you're an omni and the next you're vegan! If you keep at it and don't fall apart when you slip up and it's something you really want, you'll be vegan soon enough.

That's so true! It's really a process and you'll notice that you will start reevaluate your opinions and values (I have given up things now that I never thought of when I first got vegan).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

speth wrote:

I've suddenly realised that I'm very lactose intolerant and have been putting up with alot without even thinking it could be the dairy. All of a sudden on my dairy free days I don't have cramps that I thought were due to a med I'm on, I also have more energy and am able to eat breakfast because the morning nausea is gone.

honestly this is what helped me go vegan in the end.

i was veg for 15+ years and then randomly around age 27ish my body was like "nope no more dairy" but i would still eat it in moderation and jsut suffer the cramps and tummy aches.
when i finally went vegan it was so much easier to ditch the dairy products. like i never look at a bowl of ice cream and go "oooh i want that" cause i look at it and go "man that would make me so sick"

i do miss pizza still though even though that would have the same effect as the ice cream.

word to the wise though. once you stop eating dairy for a time period if you accidently slip up or you just cave in once it will probably make you more ill than it ever did previously.
i mean everyone's body is totally different but previously i was "mildly" lactose intolerant. at the beginning of my vegan adventures about a couple months in it was summer and i REALLY wanted an ice coffee on my way to one of my dog's training classes. i said "fork it" and got an iced coffee with cream and sugar (no places around here carry soy) and i was actually fine that day and then i was violently ill for like 3 days after. i had migraines for some reason.

another time i was really lax and ate a dessert that sounded like maybe it could be vegan but probably wasnt and ended up in the bathroom violently ill for the rest of the evening.

i think it's totally normal to crave foods you've given up at the beginning so dont beat yourself up. hell you may still want somethings long down the line. i still miss pizza and ive been a vegan almost exactly 2 years.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:04 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Also, milkshakes are totally easy to make vegan! Nommmmm.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't know if the allergy should change your position. If you were really wanting to, you know you could try lactaid (or whatever it's called), or just put up with not feeling very well, so it still is your choice to give up!

I don't think you're a moron for feeling that way though.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's all part of the process. My lactose intolerance is one of the things that got me considering being a vegan since I was already a vegetarian. Mine was severe enough to be the cause of my asthma and I was having daily asthma attacks as well as my asparagus having a very close relationship with my toilet seat.
The feeling good physically is what kept me going through the first few months when I got cravings even though at the start I was only trying the whole vegan thing out for size as a diet not a lifestyle. Now I couldn't imagine myself going back. I did have a lax night where out of sheer hunger I had a bit of pudding. I spent 3 days with nausea, wheezing and cramps galore. I now fear lactose to the extent that I can't even tolerate the smell of dairy near me.

Since then, I've discovered way nicer alternatives. It's all about experimenting and finding what you like best. So don't be afraid to try new things and keep an open mind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have sort of the opposite problem; I have an iron stomach, and those infrequent times I've ingested meat/dairy, either because I didn't realize or some asshat lied to me, I've had no side effects whatsoever. I actually feel like slightly less of a vegan because of it. Like, if I was *really* vegan, my body would reject non-vegan stuff.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm trying to give myself a bit of a break on it all. Today I had a rebellious iced coffee and tonight I'm sick again so I guess my diet will be veganized sooner than I thought! I think later I'll see it as a positive it's just at the moment it feels like the whole thing isn't as much my choice as before but as some of you have so kindly pointed out it is really.

Veganising milkshakes - this will be a world I'll have to explore! I'm still getting used to soy though. Is soy icecream good? It's summer here so I've been hitting the sorbet pretty hard and it's delicious.

Oh and Squeak - it's so funny that you and I have ended up frustrated for opposite reasons! If I were in your shoes I think I would have felt that it reinforced that it was a choice for me. It's not that you can't eat non-vegan things it's that you choose not to and that's awesome.

You guys are so ridiculously nice and supportive. I have been seeking out help online because alot of my offline people are a bit mystified by the whole thing - and members of my family are downright angry. I went to a couple of other vegan forums before this one and instead of helping me they were all like "Oh so you've been ovo-lacto for two years? Why didn't you just kill the baby calves yourselves?" (May not be an actual quote)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you can try soy milk or if you're interested you can try any sort of non dairy milk like almond, hemp, coconut, etc.

i use almond milk for baking and cooking. i dont remember if i had a specific reason for switching from soy to almond.

i love Tofutti Cuties which are little ice cream sammiches which since they are made by tofutti i assume they are soy.
coconut ice cream is good too i think i prefer that to regular soy ice cream

to be honest i guess i dont do ice cream very often but when i do think of it i either do the tofutti cuties or coconut ice cream.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I used to get swedish glace and then a bit of what ever milk I fancied, some agave nectar and a cookie or a bit of fruit or even a bit of cocoa powder or peanut butter then blend it.

Lately, I've been too broke so I use a frozen banana instead of the swedish glace. Blended it gives a texture like soft ice-cream.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Bananas are awesome! I love to add some cinnamon to it.

Personally I hate soy milk but everyone's taste buds work different. Almond is my favorite!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just take it one day at a time, don't tell yourself "never again will I taste X." You'd be amazed at how many new and awesome vegan products and restaurants have popped up since I went vegan 12 years ago.

One thing that helps me is to recognize that I'm not necessarily craving a food, but rather a combination of properties of that food: the flavor, the saltiness or sweetness, the texture, the temperature, the holiday or tradition or time of year associated with it, or just memories of sharing food with friends and family. And these things can be had other ways.

Veganism is pretty new in the grand scheme of things. Our culinary traditions aren't as set as meat-based ones. But this also means that things are changing quickly, and there's always something new and exciting in the world of vegan food.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]