| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

This weekend I cooked nonstop from AFR, this is by far my favorite cookbook of all time. I highly recommend the Pad Thai salad, I tried it for the first time this weekend and it is amazing! I made some additions to bulk it up, added a small handful of soba noodles and red thai tofu as recommended and it was just magical. Every time I make something from this book I wind up impressed that the dish is not only healthy but filling and complex.

Every recipe I have made from this book has become a staple.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:18 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

pearTree wrote:
This weekend I cooked nonstop from AFR, this is by far my favorite cookbook of all time. I highly recommend the Pad Thai salad, I tried it for the first time this weekend and it is amazing! I made some additions to bulk it up, added a small handful of soba noodles and red thai tofu as recommended and it was just magical. Every time I make something from this book I wind up impressed that the dish is not only healthy but filling and complex.

Every recipe I have made from this book has become a staple.

I agree, such a great book. Every weekend I grab a couple of cookbooks to flip through and plan menus for the week, and I usually end up with AFR. I can't believe how many great recipes are in this book--and so many I have yet to try (like the Pad Thai Salad). Last week I made the Cajun Beanballs for the first time, with the marinara and pasta-really good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think I need to stop buying other cookbooks because this one is so heavily used. Everything is just amazing.

Made the curried chickpeas and greens this evening. Nice and simple. Quite quick to make too. Fairly bloody delicious aswell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I haven't seen my copy of AFR in ages. It's been making the rounds in several omni kitchens. They can't stop raving over it. I figure it's a small price to pay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

LisaPunk wrote:
anyone have any secret tricks for the scallion potato pancakes?
i know the note on the recipe says they are fragile but i couldnt flatten them in the bread crumbs and then successfully flip them. i even tried gently using a spatula.
if i did anything other than roll the potato as a ball in the breading it would all fall apart. i had to roll them then flatten them on the cookie sheet.
if i added more oil would that help or would that make them fall apart more? more bread crumbs?

they came out super tasty i just had issues flattening them. i dont think they had gotten enough bread crumbs on them to make them nice and crisp.

i did what the suggestion at the beginning of the recipe said and made the mustard hoisin tofu and orange scented broccoli to go with it. what a yummy dinner. my husband and i devoured all of it which sadly meant no leftovers :-( (we do have some leftover pancakes but nothing else)

Yeah, I had problems too. I reserved some of the starchy potato water (cooled down) and added that and it helped them stick.

I did like these a lot. I thought they were kinda bland actually, but then I made them again with cumin and corriander I think, and they were tasty (and same amount of calories)

Need to make these again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love this book so much. Last week I made the Chickpea Piccata with the caulipots. It was so good even my mom loved it. She ended up taking my leftovers for lunch one day. I also made the marinara and the beanballs, which was also very good. You'd never know it was healthy. And tonight I'm making the Eggplant Lentil Chili Mole with the cornbread. Smells so good in my house right now. I added mushrooms to the chili because I had some that needed to be used, I can't wait to see how it comes out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We cant get Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce here... Maybe I will try ordering some at an USA speciality shop but does anyone know a replacement for it?

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

VeganinBerlin wrote:
We cant get Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce here... Maybe I will try ordering some at an USA speciality shop but does anyone know a replacement for it?

Well, I would advise ordering them, since they are awesome. I always have some around, one of my favorite ingredients eva! But if you can't, make sure you add some heat, and maybe some smoked paprika. That way you will get the smokey flavor of the peppers.

Speaking of which, I made the Purple Potato and corn salad last night, for the first time. Forgot the actual name, but it had purple potatoes, corn, pinto beans and chipotle peppers.

Man, it was GOOD. Like really good. And I am super picky about my potato salads. The steaming the fresh corn and shucking it seemed like kind of an unecessary step. In the summer yes, but if corn is not cheap and really fresh, I will use frozen defrosted corn instead. But definitly a winner. Even a potluck contender. And it is hearty, so it worked as a wintertime meal for sure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Oh yeah, the purple potato and corn salad is def a potluck contender. Besides, being tasty, it's really beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks Chicki, I just ordered some from a Mexian speciality shop. I also bought 3 kg of Jalapenos because my boyfriend said he'd take half of them. They were on sale so it's 1.5 kg of jalapenos for 5 euros which is an awesome price... but how do I eat so many jalapenos?!? And I only got a super tiny fridge...

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:43 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Thanks Chicki, I just ordered some from a Mexian speciality shop. I also bought 3 kg of Jalapenos because my boyfriend said he'd take half of them. They were on sale so it's 1.5 kg of jalapenos for 5 euros which is an awesome price... but how do I eat so many jalapenos?!? And I only got a super tiny fridge...

Make a ton of salsa. It should keep in the fridge for awhile. I like to roast jalepenos and tomatillos and make a green salsa. Or you can do the same with regular tomatoes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

I just bought this as my first ever vegan cookbook and I've already read it cover to cover. It's not many cookbooks that you can read like a novel! Can't wait to get going on some of the recipes. They look so amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Made veggie potpie stew and sweet potato biscuits (each for the second time) and I'm in love with the combination. I served it with a simple tossed salad with strawberry balsamic vinegar - such a yummy (and healthy) dinner to compliment my day of sugary treats!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 am 
ugh

My mom made the Smoky Split Pea Soup for our Christmas meal. She has made the kind with big hunks of ham in the past but was totally sold on this version! Smoked paprika is awesome and magical.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was going to make that soup as a starter but then realised I would not be able to manage that much food at all.

I made garlic shaved brussels sprouts, cranberry and cashew biryani and chickpea gravy from Christmas dinner. It was delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the moroccan chickpeas this evening. Nice and easy to make and quite enjoyable. I subbed normal carrots cut lengthways instead of baby carrots since I had an abundance of them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 am 
Saggy Butt

Made a double batch of the root veggie dal on Christmas. Omnis enjoyed it too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the garlicky mushrooms and kale this evening. I was too hungry to make something else so ended up just having mash potatoes and linda sausages with it. It was fairly tasty. I followed the recommendation to add thyme and it was really good. I should have made this for Christmas dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Is the amount of flour called for in the potpie stew a misprint? I followed the recipe as written (except for omitting the mushrooms) and the whole thing just seized up immediately when I added the flour/water slurry. I had to add 4 more cups of water to get it back to stew consistency. Besides under-cooking the split peas, it was still good!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm 
And you never will.

How much does it say in the book? (I'm so lazy I don't want to get up to go check mine). My original tester recipe calls for 1/4 cup, and I remember it turned out well when I made it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow. I win the idiot prize tonight. I transposed the measurements for the flour and the peas and put in 3/4 cup flour, but it does actually say 1/4 cup. So that explains it!

In my defense I was cooking with a toddler "helping" me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got this from the library almost two weeks ago, and so far I haven't made anything from it. I don't know what my problem is; for some reason I'm daunted by all the good reviews, and by the sheer magnitude of recipes. Plus, hubby's out of town and my kids are mad picky, so not only does whatever I make need to be easy to throw together, but it either needs to be kid pleasing or good enough that I'll want to eat the whole batch myself. Help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Make the arabian lentil and rice soup!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I just made the PotPie Stew and Sweet Potato Biscuits because I've read so much about them in this thread lately. OH MY GOD, they are both so amazingly good. My goal is to fill up my freezer with good stuff before school starts back up again at the end of the month and I resume my 3.5 hour commutes to the other end of the state... I don't know if this is going to make it to next week, let alone next month.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 pm 
ugh

I made the braised cabbage & seitan and it was way better than I expected for something so simple. I sometimes forget how tasty cabbage can be!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 122  Next