| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 2013 Resolution: Eat more bowls! Share your combos
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm not setting new year's resolutions, but if I were this would be on my list: eat more bowls!

I've had Appetite for Reduction for a while now, but never really got into the bowls even though I know they are delicious and healthy and easy AND make great lunches for reheating. What is there not to like?

I tend to over-think the bowls or have trouble coming up with ideas for them that appeal to my tastes in the moment. So I'd like to gather a thread of bowl combo ideas. Does this already exist? I tried searching, but came up with nothing. I really loved the sausage recipe thread because it gave lots of ideas for variations on steamed sausages. Let's make one for bowls.

Tonight I'm going to make a bowl similar to Isa's recent black eyed pea bowl on her blog: http://www.theppk.com/2012/12/hoppin-jo ... ot-tahini/

I've got kale, but I may have to sub another bean for the black eyed peas. I'm also using a different grain. Probably quinoa. And I'll probably add more veggies to it, like some steamed carrots.

Another bowl I have planned for this week: quinoa, kidney beans, steamed veggies and greens, and a spicy peanut sauce.

What are your favorite bowl combos?

Post subject: Re: 2013 Resolution: Eat more bowls! Share your combos
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Great idea for a thread!

Yesterday and today I'm having AFR hottie black-eyed peas with savoy cabbage and borlotti beans instead of collards and black eyed peas. For dinner, I served it with instant mashed potatoes, some seitan sausage from the freezer and a dollop of French mustard (I'm on a mustard kick). I had it again for lunch today only without the mash.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for the idea, Cornelie! I just realized I have one lonely seitan sausage sitting in the freezer. I think he's going to make it into a bowl this week, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

i love bowls, but my problem with them is usually the sauce. I am no big fan of tahini, so any gravy idea is very welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:59 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I tend to do some variation of the Dragon Bowl from Fresh Restaurants in Toronto: marinated tofu and veggies cooked on a grill pan in the oven, over noodles (I have a weak spot for noodles/pasta and tend to use them more than rice or quinoa), topped with their Miso gravy.

I've recently made pizza using kittee's cheese sauce recipe and I could see this sauce becoming a favorite bowl topping. Soooooooo easy and I could have eaten the whole pan's worth with a spoon.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jerusha wrote:
i love bowls, but my problem with them is usually the sauce. I am no big fan of tahini, so any gravy idea is very welcome!

Depending on the bowl, I like salsa or a peanut-sauce-type thing (like PB + tamari/ soy sauce + Sriracha + hot water)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 pm 
Crazy bat lady

lilyyw wrote:
jerusha wrote:

Depending on the bowl, I like salsa or a peanut-sauce-type thing (like PB + tamari/ soy sauce + Sriracha + hot water)

You could also do a hoisin sauce, maybe mixed with a little fresh ginger depending on your taste, and also sprinkle tamari over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I like doing what I call "warm salads" which are essentially a bowl with or without a grain. Bed of lettuce or spinach. Then do a quick sauté of onions, broccoli, zucchini (in the warmer months), carrots, whatever else is on hand, tofu or chickpeas. Quinoa if you want. Then a lovely maple-tahini sauce over everything. Really easy, comforting and healthy.

I'm also a very big fan of Esme's special sauce over broccoli, onions, tofu, brown rice and spinach.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
I like doing what I call "warm salads" which are essentially a bowl with or without a grain. Bed of lettuce or spinach. Then do a quick sauté of onions, broccoli, zucchini (in the warmer months), carrots, whatever else is on hand, tofu or chickpeas. Quinoa if you want. Then a lovely maple-tahini sauce over everything. Really easy, comforting and healthy.

I'm also a very big fan of Esme's special sauce over broccoli, onions, tofu, brown rice and spinach.
I'm thinking something like this is exactly what I want for dinner tonight. Can you tell me more about this maple-tahini sauce???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

What makes something a bowl? The fact that I'm eating it in a bowl?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm 
And you never will.

Fee wrote:
What makes something a bowl? The fact that I'm eating it in a bowl?

Yes. Unless you're making a Bowl In A Jar, in which case it's still a bowl. In a jar. Because, JAR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love the Green Goddess Dressing from AFR over quinoa, broccoli, and chickpeas or tofu. Any leafy green also works.

Tofu, quinoa, mandarin oranges, broccoli, and a sweet cumin lime cinnamon vinaigrette (I use the dressing from one of Dreena Burton's book - can't remember which at the moment) - The Orange Mojo Tofu from Viva Vegan is great for this.

Broccoli slaw, protein, red peppers, brown rice, peanut sauce

The lentils and rice from V'con --add kale, raisins, and cover in lemony tahini sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I had the BEST bowl at Native Foods recently - it was quinoa, tofu, roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and I think maybe red bell pepers?), and the most delicious "Moroccan" sauce. I don't know what was in that sauce, but it was so delicious. It might have been peanut based. And it was orangey-red in color. And I wish I could eat it everyday.

Has anyone else had this? I wish I could remember it better so I could try to replicate it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:52 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I'm thinking something like this is exactly what I want for dinner tonight. Can you tell me more about this maple-tahini sauce???

I haven't made it in a long time due to my fat restrictions up until recently, but as memory serves it would be a good sized dollop of tahini, a little maple (start small then build, nothing's worse than too sweet!), a squeeze of Bragg's, freshly grated ginger, maybe grated garlic, a touch of lemon to lighten it up, sambal olek if you want heat, and enough hot water to let it mix smoothly. Sorry I can't be more precise! I used to make it a good couple times a week and just knew it by feel.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I haven't made it in a long time due to my fat restrictions up until recently, but as memory serves it would be a good sized dollop of tahini, a little maple (start small then build, nothing's worse than too sweet!), a squeeze of Bragg's, freshly grated ginger, maybe grated garlic, a touch of lemon to lighten it up, sambal olek if you want heat, and enough hot water to let it mix smoothly. Sorry I can't be more precise! I used to make it a good couple times a week and just knew it by feel.
Thanks, that gives me enough to be going on with. I'll give it a shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love to squeeze some fresh lemon and drizzle some olive oil over mine.
But on the other hand, I'm a simple gal!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ashley wrote:
I had the BEST bowl at Native Foods recently - it was quinoa, tofu, roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and I think maybe red bell pepers?), and the most delicious "Moroccan" sauce. I don't know what was in that sauce, but it was so delicious. It might have been peanut based. And it was orangey-red in color. And I wish I could eat it everyday.

Has anyone else had this? I wish I could remember it better so I could try to replicate it!

I just googled it, could it be their "Slather It On Sauce"? It has red pepper and paprika, so it would be red. They post the recipe on the website.

ETA: Ok I lied - it's not on their website, it's on someone else's website talking about them. It sounds delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I know its not a "meal" bowl but its the perfect snack, purple açai bowl with bananas, homemade granola, coconut oil and of course açai, I also eat it with peanut butter from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My not-resolution is a little modified: eat a wider variety of bowls. My go-to is chickpeas, kale or broccoli, brown rice and tahini sauce, and while I have not yet got sick of tahini, it might be time to mix things up a little! Right now I'm eating sauteed collards and kale, leftover filling from the collard-black eyed pea rolls, brown rice, and a huge amount of homemade barbecue sauce. Nom.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Thanks, that gives me enough to be going on with. I'll give it a shot!

Let me know how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just had rice, red lentils sauteed brussel sprouts (cooked in a bit of toasted sesame oil) and a peanut/soy sauce/sriracha/agave sauce.

I've been loving bowls as late.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

Oh goodie! I'm so happy about this thread because I *love* bowls! I'm trying to be much more carb-conscious these days. Not too extreme, but I find bowls address the grain ratio in a good way - just a couple of little spoonfuls in the bottom.

I made Isa's Hoppin' John bowl on New Year's Day & had it again the next day too! I did make a few adjustments... I used the Hoppin' John recipe from The Ethnic Vegetarian, which is nice & spicy. I used a brown rice & quinoa mix. No kale, so subbed some raw baby spinach & added some cucumber to the tomato salad. As for the tahini sauce - total genius! I made it to the recipe but found it just lacked a little something. Perhaps it's due to the brand of hot sauce I used? Anyway, I added lemon juice & a little sugar & it was perfect.

One of the bowls I make most often is brown rice & quinoa, topped with tofu sauteed with kecap manis (maybe some mushrooms), then shredded raw cabbage, carrot & spring onions, topped with a nice spicy peanut sauce.

I like the mix of raw & cooked, hot & cold ingredients in a bowl. I think I need to break out of always using the same grains. Any suggestions? Anyone do a good combo using pasta or noodles?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

some of my favorite bowls:

- roasted paprika-cumin chickpeas + garlicky kale + brown rice + lemony tahini sauce
- fresh tomatoes + avocado + parsley + green onions + quinoa + lime juice (mint is also yummy in this one!)
- lentils sauteed with onions 'n garlic + kimchee + basmati rice
- roasted asparagus + avocado + toasted sesame seeds + sticky rice + siracha-vegenaise-dressing (miso-tamari glazed tofu is also rock'n in this bowl)
- roasted beets + fresh spinach + toasted walnuts + quinoa + agave-apple cider vinegar-olive oil dressing (shredded carrots are lovely in this bowl)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:29 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I love bowls! I'm not very creative, though, so my standard bowl is pretty simple: quinoa, steamed kale, and kidney beans with some EVOO + Bragg's. Garlic and ginger really compliment the flavor.
This thread will be great for bowl inspiration! I have the most problem with sauces. I just don't know what to mix together. Hopefully I'll get better in 2013!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I like a Yumm-type sauce on bowls with brown rice, black beans, avocado, salsa, and greens... Yumm sauce inspired by Cafe Yumm. Not sure where-all those exist, but we have them in PDX.

Here's a recipe I found online somewhere and modified to my own liking... I've used some chipotle in here before too...Just zip it all up in the blender. Delish!

Original Yumm Sauce:
2 T canola oil
1/2 cup soaked cashews
2 T nooch
1/2 cup chickpeas
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp curry powder

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next