| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: De Vegetarische Slager - het kookboek, Jaap Korteweg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just ordered this one from bol.com. I've never been able to go to the deli because it opened after I moved out of the Netherlands, but I thought I'd create a thread for the cookbook.

Anyone have it?

Post subject: Re: De Vegetarische Slager - het kookboek, Jaap Korteweg
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I didn't know he'd brought a book out. Just checked it out on bol and it looks like it's a book of recipes for how to incorporate their products into various dishes. I like their stuff well enough to buy it on occasion, but I'm not sure I'd want a whole cookbook with suggestions. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those cookbooks that has traditional recipes and just calls for their "chicken" in the place of chicken, or their "tuna" (which sadly is not vegan) in the place of tuna. I'm just basing this on the description, though, since there's no "look inside" function, so I could be wrong.

I'll be curious what you think when you get it, annak.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, I guess I should've paid more attention then, since in California I can't get any of their products obviously. I can sub other mock meats but I guess I was hoping that it was more a cookbook to make them than use them. I was so excited to see some Dutch veggie books* that I may have ordered too hastily!

I'll report back on it, I'm hoping there's something I can use at least.

* as opposed to just translated American/British ones, which is about all I could ever find when I lived there

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I briefly flipped through this one and decided it's not very useful for vegans, but maybe i'm wrong.
What are you hoping to find in Dutch books? I think our cuisine isn't that spectacular ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I checked the book out when I saw it in a shop in Amsterdam and really wanted a vegan/vegetarian cookbook but they all seemed so boring. And this didnt seem very vegan friendly, either.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, I should've actually, um, read the entire description before buying it! I have a few nonveg Dutch cookbooks (De Hollandse Keuken, Koekje, Het Bijlmer Kookboek because this cracked me up too much not to buy it) and an Indonesian one (Lonny's Rijsttafel), and one vegan one (De Veganistische Keuken)...but I guess I was kind of looking forward to seeing what Dutch food, veganized would be like - one of the great things about travelling is exploring different countries' veg restaurants.. I have found that in Europe there are tons of great traditional European flavored dishes, veganized, available in restaurants.. but American veg cookbooks tend to focus on either traditional American stuff (burgers, pizza, pasta, salads, etc) or else Asian/Indian/African/Latin flavors. There is really not much out there, and especially not with a generally passed-over cuisine like Dutch or Belgian.. I guess I was envisioning broodjes, vega-haring-sammich (I bought the unfishalicious book so maybe that'll have some good Dutch faux fish things!), lots of potato and kale dishes (I miss those potato krieltjes that just needed to be microwaved or baked! and of course stamppots and hutspots), traditional sourdough breads, pates, split pea soups, bitterballen, kroket, I don't know.. All these I can (and mostly have) veganized but partly I like reading/collecting cookbooks and learning new things!!

ETA that de Veganistische Keuken has a few Dutch things in it, but mostly it's your typical basic Western vegan fare.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I got a really cheap non-veg Dutch cookbook but it only has a few recipes I actually recognize as traditional dutch food. Okay, hutspot isnt so difficult to figure out. But like a vegan recipe for vla that actually tastes like vla? I'd love that. Maybe I just need to figure it out myself...

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I was thinking about this more as I was in the shower. I mean, it's de vegetarische *slager*, right? So how about vegan ossenhaas? And the giant gehaktballen. And I'm sure there are local types of sausage and charcuterie that would be interesting to veganize. Vegaspek! Vissoep! PALING! Where is the recipe for vegan eel?! (No I've never had it, so how do I even know what I'm missing??)

And like VeganinBerlin, I have a traditional Dutch cookbook (Hollandse Keuken), but it is more traditional like early 20th century kind of stuff rather than what actual modern Dutch people actually eat.

ETA: Basically, I want the kind of cookbook I could use to start up my own VEBO. I never claimed I was sane or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Maybe you guys would like 'Wat de pot schaft' by Lisette Kreisscher (who also wrote the nonfishalicious book)? I'm not a big fan of Kreisscher myself, she's a bit too hip for my taste, but she does seem to have done a decent job veganizing some Dutch recipes (and international recipes that are popular in the NL) in this book.

Some youtube videos about recipes from the book (links copied from the Dutch vegan forum): tempeh spekjes, pindakaas en pindasaus, aankleding van courgettesoep, andijviestamppot en reuzel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Cornelie wrote:
Maybe you guys would like 'Wat de pot schaft' by Lisette Kreisscher (who also wrote the nonfishalicious book)? I'm not a big fan of Kreisscher myself, she's a bit too hip for my taste, but she does seem to have done a decent job veganizing some Dutch recipes (and international recipes that are popular in the NL) in this book.

Some youtube videos about recipes from the book (links copied from the Dutch vegan forum): tempeh spekjes, pindakaas en pindasaus, aankleding van courgettesoep, andijviestamppot en reuzel.

Yeah I was thinking about that book as well. I don't have any of her books but they are pretty popular here, and I think currently she is the only Dutch vegan cookbook author.
Annak, you can read Dutch, right? Whenever I want to make something like stamppot, I just look for a recipe online, for instance on the website of Albert Heijn, and then I veganize it myself. Instead of 'spek' I add smoked tofu or tempeh to the stamppot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Not exactly a book, but you should check out Cornelie's blog (in her sig)! That's where I go for Dutch inspired veg fare!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Aww thanks lepelaar :-) you're sweet. I guess we do have some typical Dutch stuff on the blog.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:19 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yes, it sounds like this book might be more what I'm looking for, although a general make-your-own-mock-meats book of any nationality would find a place on my cookbook shelf. (besides a few recipes here and there in various books, the only ones I can think of that come close to this are 'Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet' and 'The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook')

Unfortunately I only place a bol.com order once a year or so, so it'll probably be a while.. Oops! I wish it were possible to add things to your order before they send it out, the €17 shipping means I only place an order once I have enough of a wish list to justify the shipping costs. Cornelie, your blog looks good as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Bryanna Clark Grogan's Chinese cookbook contains a lot of recipes for home-made mock meats.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hehe, it's funny to read these posts in English interspersed with Dutch words!
Dutch quisine isn't that sophisticated ;), though I do like traditional dishes like stamppot and pea soup. I haven't had much luck veganizing the puree for stamppots though, my mum makes it with milk and butter, and it doesn't taste as good without those :s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My favorites for aardappelpuree (mashed potatoes) are margarine, butter flavored rapeseed oil, olive oil, Alpro cuisine creamer or a combination of those. Some nutbutter or unsweetened nutmilk also make nice mashed potatoes, they do give the mash a mild nutty flavor, but that's not a bad thing. I love almondy potato mash on top of my sauerkraut casserole.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I prefer not to use too much soy, but nut butter sounds good as a substitute for the milk + butter combo!
By the way, VeganinBerlin, vegan vla exists! Alpro has both vanilla and chocolate varieties. I've tried the vanilla one and it does taste a bit different from dairy vla, but not that much, and it's quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was in Amsterdam this year and I didnt see Vegan Vla. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. Blegh, it will take some time until I go to Holland again though, so a recipe to make it myself would still be lovely.

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am 
So Totally Yiffy

misshendrie wrote:
Hehe, it's funny to read these posts in English interspersed with Dutch words!
Dutch quisine isn't that sophisticated ;), though I do like traditional dishes like stamppot and pea soup. I haven't had much luck veganizing the puree for stamppots though, my mum makes it with milk and butter, and it doesn't taste as good without those :s.

I always use the recipe for mashed potatoes from VwaV, it's really nice, especially the garlicky one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I was in Amsterdam this year and I didnt see Vegan Vla. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. Blegh, it will take some time until I go to Holland again though, so a recipe to make it myself would still be lovely.

The vegan vla is in the shelf stable dairy section of the stores, with the shelf stable soy milks. It comes in a 1/2 liter tetrapacks and is available in the flavours vanilla, chocolate and caramel.

Can you get custard powder where you are? It's basically cornstarch with vanilla and some other ingredients. The powder looks white but turns yellow when you add water. If you cook it with plant milk (a little more milk than you would use for pudding) and some sugar it makes a very decent vanilla vla substitute. For chocolate vla, just cook plant milk with cornstarch/tapioca, sugar and cocoa powder. There are several Dutch recipes on this site, most of them easy to veganize: http://www.zelfmaakrecepten.nl/vanille-vla-zelf-maken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That just sounds like making pudding? But in my experience pudding (the German type Im used to) does not taste the same as vla...

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The difference between pudding and vla is mostly in the consistency. If you use less cornstarch the pudding will be runny and be more like vla.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

It somehow tasted "heavier" though. Maybe I need to make it heavier and add cream?

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That might work. The fat content of full fat dairy milk is higher than that of plant milks anyway, so adding a little fat would make it more authentic. The Alpro vegan vla is a bit more pudding-like than dairy vla too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

So this came in the mail the other day!! Good thing I was home because postal dude made me sign for it, like anyone really wanted to steal my Dutch veggie cookbooks and Nijntje stories, right?

Anyway, this book isn't as useless as I was fearing. I haven't made anything yet, but it looks like most of it can be made with pretty much any fake meat, and since we like fake meat around here, that's fine. There are some stupid recipes (chicken nuggets - take fake chicken pieces, roll in egg and coconut/cornflake mixture, fry) but there are some more interesting ones as well. There is a vegan vla recipe! But it's avocado and mango puree I think. A coconut pannacotta recipe as well! On the whole it seems fairly vegan-friendly.