| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need your best frugal ideas/recipes for a GF vegan!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Looking at my account balance as the new year begins I'm realizing I need to make some changes STAT! I don't live lavishly,my husband and I own a home and have 5 kitty children. It seems like I'm constantly transferring money around to pay bills and always worrying about our finances. Needless to say,between food and vet bills having 5 cats gets expensive.Plus one was dignosed with lymphoma last year and his treatments are crazy expensive! Thankfully his protocol is almost over and he's doing great. Sooo,we have a bunch of credit card debt(a lot from vet bills) and not so much money in savings. Tried to refinance our house but were denied because our debt to income ratio was too high.Oh,and my husband drives a concrete mixer and his work slows down this time of year.
So what I could really use is your best money saving tips and cheap recipes for a gluten free vegan(GF stuff is soo pricey!)Any ideas where to get GF snacks,pasta,etc cheaper would be great.I have a crockpot that I've never even used so I'm going to pull that out of hiding. Right now I eat a lot of hummus,beans,refried beans(all store bought)sometimes tofu and tempeh. I love to snack on Pure Bars and Nutro Bars. I also am a So Delicious ice cream addict and that's very expensive! I have an ice cream machine I'll have to start using as well.
Sorry for babbling so long. The stress of thinking about my situation as I write this has triggered an occular migrane so I will just say thanks again for any help!

Post subject: Re: Need your best frugal ideas/recipes for a GF vegan!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm not sure where you live, kittylover, but Grocery Outlets carry a lot of GF stuff for far, far less than other places. (I think they are mostly out west). It's kind of like a Big Lots for food, in the fact that a product will be there for awhile, but when it's gone, it's gone. When I find good buys on things that I like, I stock up!

I know there are quite a few GF folks on here, so I'm sure you'll get some great responses. I, too, am feeling the financial strain. I received "Vegan on the Cheap" for Christmas, and am very motivated to live more frugally this year. Good luck!

edited for this- PS- I stocked up on a ton of $1.99 Soy Delicious Vanilla with Almonds for the holidays at my local GO. Score! But I have my eye on a few of the vegan ice cream cookbooks out there, as well...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm 
Nooch of Earl

They're not specifically GF, but I would look at Robin Robertson's "Vegan on the Cheap" (there's a crockpot section too!), the "Vegan Stoner" blog, "Supermarket Vegan," and my latest cookbook acquisition, "Conveniently Vegan." Plus Isa just posted ideas for easy, inexpensive GF swaps on facebook.

I would avoid the convenience foods to the extent you can, but take a look at the "grocery spending issues" thread (in Kitchen->Food, I think?) for ideas. That GF&vegan convenience stuff isn't cheap. Around here Costco has GF bread and crackers, but I don't know whether they're a good deal or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:55 pm 
WRETCHED

Do you have a place to buy beans and grains in bulk? That might help. Are you celiac GF or GF by choice? Oatmeal is pretty cheap but if you are celiac, I know there is some worry about some possible cross contamination.

Indian/Asian markets are great places to buy stuff cheap, especially spices. Asian markets may even have freshly made tofu which is usually insanely cheap.

Another book that might help is called "More with Less". It isn't a vegan book but is vegan friendly, you could see if your library has it.

Instead of pasta, I'd look into making your own polenta. You could also utilize spaghetti squash.

You might want to look into seeing if you can make your own bars if possible. If not with oatmeal, possibly another grain?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 pm 
WRETCHED

And here are some snack ideas I found:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/05/ch ... balls.html
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/06/ba ... balls.html (has oats)
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/01/da ... lices.html
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/gl ... ckers.html

Roasted chickpeas would be another choice, something similar to:
http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.com/ ... kpeas.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you can buy cheap chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour, gram flour, besan, it goes by many names) in an ethnic store, farinata is a great tasty gluten-free protein-rich bread substitute: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... ipe=766845

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 pm 

Thanks for the ideas! I'm in Braintree,MA,a town south of Boston. Sadly no Grocery Outlets here. I do go to Ocean State Job Lot for good prices on Bob's Red Mill stuff and sometimes they have GF cereal. I was tested for celiac around 5 years ago and was negative. I was desperate to feel better and tried going GF. Sure enough,it did the trick! A year later my brother was diagnosed celiac and a niece has just discovered she has issues with it. Trust me,I'd love to eat a big plate of gluteny goodness!Those snack recipes and book recommendations sound great and I just printed some recipes from Vegan Stoner.
I have also have made a few other changes 1)Stopped going to our(expensive!) hairdresser and a family friend is doing our hair 2) Sold some books on http://www.mybookbuyer.com/index.php (highly recommend this!) 3) a niece has a low flow showerhead she likes.Waiting to hear back from her what brand it is so I can get one and 4) stopped buying our kitty's fluids(our lymphoma kitty also has kidney disease) at the vets and got them online. Still wracking my brain trying to think of more. Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

To cut back on money I would go the route of baking bread at home. I haven't made gluten free bread since going vegan but I am sure other people around here have and would be able to direct you to good recipes. I used to find homemade was a lot tastier than shop bought.

I found meal planning for 2 weeks at a time and then doing the shopping from that list helped cut expenses a lot. When picking out recipes to make I would try concentrate on dishes that used what I had already. I stopped buying spices in the supermarket unless it was an emergency. I get them instead in the asian market. Usually a lot cheaper because I could buy a decent sized bag instead of a tiny jar.

AFR is a great book and has lots of gluten free options. It's been my God send since I've started watching the pennies. Most of the recipes have easy to get ingredients and plenty of selection.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm 
WRETCHED

The cheapest vegetables tend to be cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions. If possible, try to focus on meals that use those. I find millet to be the cheapest grain I can find and it is gluten free. I like making 3/4 millet and 1/4 amaranth just to mix things up. It can also be a hot cereal as well. Chia seeds aren't the cheapest thing out there but you can buy them in bulk to make them fairly affordable and make a pumpkin pudding with them. I've had that for breakfast many mornings.

Lentils are also very cheap. Split pea soup is a good inexpensive soup as well.

As well as other/non food related cost savings, I'd say turn your thermostat down and bundle up. Get rid of cable tv if you have it. If you have a cell phone and a home phone line, I'd look at either getting rid of your home phone or getting a metered phone line. Don't flush your toilet every use. Shorten your showers. Turn down your water heater. Use reusable pads/diva cup or similar for your period. Some people use reusable cloth wipes instead of toilet paper but I haven't personally done it. Drink water and iced tea made from inexpensive bulk tea bags. Look into making your own household cleaners, laundry soap, etc. These things can often be made very cheaply and work just as well or better than commercial items. There are also many health/beauty products that you can make at home as well. Unplug electrical items that are not in use.

Lastly, before you throw anything out, think if you can reuse it in some way. Like we found that bread bags and other hole-free bags are great to pick up dog poop. Old shirts can be used as rags. Citrus peels are good for keeping your garbage disposal smelling fresh. Before you buy anything, consider whether you really need it or if there is some alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

along these ^^ lines, there are some good threads on the things we do to save money.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

kittylover wrote:
Thanks for the ideas! I'm in Braintree,MA,a town south of Boston. Sadly no Grocery Outlets here. I do go to Ocean State Job Lot for good prices on Bob's Red Mill stuff and sometimes they have GF cereal. I was tested for celiac around 5 years ago and was negative. I was desperate to feel better and tried going GF. Sure enough,it did the trick! A year later my brother was diagnosed celiac and a niece has just discovered she has issues with it. Trust me,I'd love to eat a big plate of gluteny goodness!Those snack recipes and book recommendations sound great and I just printed some recipes from Vegan Stoner.
I have also have made a few other changes 1)Stopped going to our(expensive!) hairdresser and a family friend is doing our hair 2) Sold some books on http://www.mybookbuyer.com/index.php (highly recommend this!) 3) a niece has a low flow showerhead she likes.Waiting to hear back from her what brand it is so I can get one and 4) stopped buying our kitty's fluids(our lymphoma kitty also has kidney disease) at the vets and got them online. Still wracking my brain trying to think of more. Thanks again for the help!

Kittylover, if you are looking at seriously changing your spending style, I've got some beloved books to recommend to you. My favorite, favorite book in the world is "The Complete Tightwad Gazette", by Amy Dacyczyn. It's a compilation of 6 years of newsletters. Though she does offer lots of specific tips to save money, her whole gist is to think differently about how you spend (because what works frugally for her in Maine might not work for you...wait, you're in Maine! Maybe it will work). Anyhow, she's pretty awesomely radical and bills herself alternately as "The Frugal Zealot" and a "black-belt tightwad". I'm really not a fan of most other "here's-some-tips-to-save-money" books, but hers is amazing. Check it out if you can first and see if you agree, but seriously, this book changed my life. (Just get the "complete" one, as there are a few others out there that are maybe the first few years of her newsletters, but not all of them together). Advice... if you read this book, flip to the very back and start with a few of the letters from readers. They will convince you that you CAN change your spending habits and your life, because so many of her readers did just that.

Also, along the same lines are "How to Survive Without a Salary" by Charles Long, and "Your Money or Your Life" by Vicki Robbins and Joe Dominguez. (Indeed, Dacyzyn quotes Robbins/Dominguez in her book, and vice versa). "Your Money or Your Life" does have some dated investment advice (treasury bonds don't have the return they did in the 80's) but the bulk of the book is SUPER valuable for re-examining your relationship with money- how you spend it, why you spend it. No judgments, just a way to figure out what is really worth your hard earned money/energy. I was amazed when I started analyzing where my money went. This was another life-changer for me; and I'm not even remotely exaggerating when I say that of any of these books. These three tomes are the trifecta for getting the most out of the money you earn and re-examining your relationship with the green stuff.

I know I get a wee bit exited about this topic, but these books together really opened my eyes and changed how I live. Taken together I think they are powerful tools for most of us that are not already black-belt tightwads. And frugal doesn't mean cheap...really there is a difference! After getting into some debt for school (totally worth it, but still debt) I am digging all these books back out and on my way back to where I need to be financially.

Off soapbox now. Except to add I often buy these books when I find them used, so I can give them to friends when the topic of being more frugal comes up- that's how much they've helped me. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm 
Cranky

Market Basket is a good resource for cheap produce and occasionally for things like grains. I got a bag of chia seeds for $3 at one point (cheaper than Trader Joe's!), and they often have other random deals you wouldn't expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 am 
Saggy Butt

if you PM me your address, i have a coupon for buy one get one free Glutino or Gluten-Free pantry products and another coupon for a dollar off one item of the same brand. i would be happy to mail them to you. the dollar off isn't much, but the BOGO is GF gold! i've been hanging on to them for a while (they expire end of march) and since i'm not avoiding gluten i probably won't use them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am 

I'm in the same position as kittylover, except, without the cats, and with adult sons who still live at home - which means their father and I are still in our large family home, as opposed to downsizing to a smaller, more affordable home in preparation for retirement. We have a grocery budget at about $40 a week for the two of us. No, I do not feed my adult sons. They need to take care of themselves!

I too am medically required to be gluten free. But, rather than spend a whole lot of money on gluten-free substitutes for everything (and vegan substitutes for everything,) I buy only the bare basics: Beans, brown rice, potatoes, fruits, vegetables, almond milk, that's about it, really! I save money by doing the work myself, instead of paying for convenience foods. I buy dry beans and cook them myself. I bake my own bread, pizza crust, and make my own granola. I make large pots of bean soup, with whatever beans, and universal vegetables such as carrot, celery, onion, and potato. It's nourishing and inexpensive to live like this. They only requirement is time. If you are working, spend one of your days off prep'ing your food for the week. Then all you have to do when you get home at night is warm something up. This works extremely well for the two of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Norelle wrote:
if you PM me your address, i have a coupon for buy one get one free Glutino or Gluten-Free pantry products and another coupon for a dollar off one item of the same brand. i would be happy to mail them to you. the dollar off isn't much, but the BOGO is GF gold! i've been hanging on to them for a while (they expire end of march) and since i'm not avoiding gluten i probably won't use them.

and then you can stack it with the $1/1 coupon on coupons.com

and as linanil said, lentils. the answer is always lentils.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm 

Thanks,you guys are great! I'll look into all the resources that were suggested. I may not be able to implement everything as much as I would like due to my husband.I'd have no problem getting rid of cable,or at least keeping just basic cable,but he wouldn't go for that. And he's not veggie so a lot of food money goes to meat,milk,deli meat,etc. Does anyone else have a significant other who's in a bit of denial about the finances? I handle the bills,but he knows we've been running up the credit cards with vet bills and that he's been getting less work right now. Yet he continues spending as usual,spending 2000.00 on a motorcycle he didn't need last year,(and he was unemployed for a couple of months last year)picking up take out often,etc. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle sometimes!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:33 pm 
WRETCHED

This is a bigger issue and you may need to rethink how you and your husband do finances.

You might even need to split expenses such that each of you gets an allowance, own savings account, etc so that each of you has a pool of money that you can spend however you like and if you want something bigger, you save for it. I'd even be inclined to say things such as cable should come out of the allowance as well as some food expenses. That way your shared pool pays for regular expenses (mortgage, heat, water, etc) and also a shared savings account (to save for future as well as pay for larger expenses such as broken appliances, car repairs, vet bills, etc).

And I think the key is to sit down with your husband, show him your income and your expenses and whatever debt you have. That way he can understand that there is an issue and expenses need to be cut.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if you have a smartphone, i highly suggest getting EEBA to keep track of your budget. (and even if you don't, you can use the website just as effectively.) https://www.eebacanhelp.com/ (but you have to both remember to record your purchases, or else it's useless.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oooh, another idea-
if you're in braintree you should be able to get Brazilian groceries [even without going to somerville; i know some of the S&Ss in the area have Brazilian stuff, albeit at higher prices]; you can try manioc/cassava flour, which makes a great sub for breadcrumbs. [farinha de mandioca- i'd suggest the roasted ones to sub for breadcrumbs, which will say "torrada" on it somewhere]; also they usually have tapioca starch [polvilho doce] much cheaper; there is another tapioca starch [polvilho azedo] which has a strangely cheezy flavor that can be really good if you're making things. For example, if you make the chickpea cutlets from VWAV, you can sub the breadcrumbs for the manioc flour and the starch for the tapioca flour, and it's GF and works just as well.