| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying at Marshalls
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Where I live it's hard to find some stuff to have a good vegan pantry, so I was excited to find that Marshalls is bringing great items for our pantry. Black salt, agave, organic stuff, pink salt, stuff like that. Cheap also. I sound like an ad lol I just wanted to share the info in case any of you didn't know and live at city like mine where good/rare items are hard to find. I dont have trader's Joe or any coops to go to. Just a market that sells some stuff but not a huge selection.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Buying at Marshalls
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Great suggestion! I think what's available at Marshalls varies from shop to shop, but I've definitely seen fancy condiments and oils and things at most of them. Things like fancy jam, jars of sundried tomatoes packed in oil etc. Same thing with TJ Maxx/TK Maxx (not sure if there are TJ Maxx stores in PR though?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Don't forget good vanilla! And smoked paprika. Our Marshall's went away, but we still have TJMaxx (same company, I think) and I always hit the kitchen area. They also have some good snacky things sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Marshall's/Homegoods/TJMaxx always have interesting foodstuffs. I'm usually on the lookout for an interesting mustard or pickle, but I think my best two finds so far have been Rick's Picks Windy City Wasabeans (pickled green beans) and Divi's porcini mushroom salt. SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm 

Limone wrote:
Great suggestion! I think what's available at Marshalls varies from shop to shop, but I've definitely seen fancy condiments and oils and things at most of them. Things like fancy jam, jars of sundried tomatoes packed in oil etc. Same thing with TJ Maxx/TK Maxx (not sure if there are TJ Maxx stores in PR though?)

yeah they're recent but yes we do. I like marshalls better though, but I've bought house cleaning products that are vegan on tj maxx

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

golden delicious wrote:
Marshall's/Homegoods/TJMaxx always have interesting foodstuffs. I'm usually on the lookout for an interesting mustard or pickle, but I think my best two finds so far have been Rick's Picks Windy City Wasabeans (pickled green beans) and Divi's porcini mushroom salt. SO GOOD.

One of my fave finds was Katie's Kitchen Coco Joe pumpkin seeds. I've never seen the ones you mention, but I'll be on the look out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wait, what? Marshalls and all those other places have food?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oooh, this is good to know!

On a related note, I just recently discovered you can get really good kitchen stuff at TJ Maxx (and probably Marshalls too) for cheap. I saw factory reject Le Creuset stuff for half off. I got a really nice kitchen aid enameled cast iron Dutch oven for $40 (originally $100) that I use all the time now. Maybe everyone already knows this and I'm new to the club but I was pretty excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

couroupita wrote:
Oooh, this is good to know!

On a related note, I just recently discovered you can get really good kitchen stuff at TJ Maxx (and probably Marshalls too) for cheap. I saw factory reject Le Creuset stuff for half off. I got a really nice kitchen aid enameled cast iron Dutch oven for $40 (originally $100) that I use all the time now. Maybe everyone already knows this and I'm new to the club but I was pretty excited.

I got all my Le Creuset at Winners, which is like Canadian TJ Maxx. Over 1/2 off in most cases, sometimes more. Such a good deal!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ariann wrote:
Wait, what? Marshalls and all those other places have food?

It's usually just one aisle, but it's all high end-type stuff. Dry pastas, teas, spices, oils, chocolates, cookies, etc. If I want to put together a nice fancy gift basket for someone, I definitely hit up these places to see what I can find.

I forgot to mention that I found some truffle oil one time! I love it because I can try stuff like this that I've never had before without too much $$ commitment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We find vegan cookies and muffins at our TJ Maxx from time to time. It's always been a go to for vegan chocolate too, now that that's easier to find in other places, I'm mostly after fancy salts and oils.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:08 am 
ugh

If you find a HomeGoods, which is basically the decor/kitchen/food section of TJ Maxx as its own store, there are more aisles of food! I've found cake sprinkles, fancy flavored olive oil, and a bajillion kinds of hot sauce. Last time I went I got jalepeno ketchup which was pretty tasty.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 pm 
WRETCHED

I salute those of you brave enough to go to Marshall's. Anytime I've been there or TJ Maxx or ROSS, it is a mad house with huge lines and things are everywhere. Sometimes I suck it up and try it though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:
I salute those of you brave enough to go to Marshall's. Anytime I've been there or TJ Maxx or ROSS, it is a mad house with huge lines and things are everywhere. Sometimes I suck it up and try it though.

I'm the same. The massive amount of disorganization in those stores makes me run screaming for the door.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:28 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The best thing I've found at T.J. Maxx are the Oskri Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars. They are dangerously good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm 

ScooterDiva wrote:
linanil wrote:

I'm the same. The massive amount of disorganization in those stores makes me run screaming for the door.

Lol most of the stores here are tidy, also I go early so it's even better.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:03 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Jilly wrote:
The best thing I've found at T.J. Maxx are the Oskri Dark Chocolate Coconut Bars. They are dangerously good.

Lucky you! I love the plain ones! I would flip for chocolate!

I have had no food luck, I look but find nothing!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ScooterDiva wrote:
linanil wrote:

I try to go at night about 45 min before they close. And I never ever go on weekends!

So for the food items, are they usually getting close to their sell-by date? I worry that I would buy a nice oil or condiment and not be able to use it up fast enough before things start to taste off.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

molasses jane wrote:
I got all my Le Creuset at Winners, which is like Canadian TJ Maxx. Over 1/2 off in most cases, sometimes more. Such a good deal!

Winners/Homesense in Canada also have great vegan food items too, like cookies, snacks, cooking and baking goods! I will have to check out Marshalls as well to see if they have a different selection! I've found some great goodies at Winners at prices that are a bit cheaper, too! Like quinoa cookies, coconut sugar, plantain chips, different types of vinegars, and lots of other things I can't think of at the moment!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jilly wrote:

This. My husband tends to buy up all of these (usually just 3 or so boxes) when he finds them along with the plain coconut ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:51 pm 

loolie wrote:
molasses jane wrote:

Winners/Homesense in Canada also have great vegan food items too, like cookies, snacks, cooking and baking goods! I will have to check out Marshalls as well to see if they have a different selection! I've found some great goodies at Winners at prices that are a bit cheaper, too! Like quinoa cookies, coconut sugar, plantain chips, different types of vinegars, and lots of other things I can't think of at the moment!

That's cool, we don't have those stores here though :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

couroupita wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:
linanil wrote:

I try to go at night about 45 min before they close. And I never ever go on weekends!

So for the food items, are they usually getting close to their sell-by date? I worry that I would buy a nice oil or condiment and not be able to use it up fast enough before things start to taste off.

I've seen some neat looking foodstuffs at Marshalls but had the same concern. I'll have to go back and check the dates! This is exciting!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Where I live, TJ Maxx is the best for homegoods stuff, but Marshalls is the BEST for shoes! It all depends on the store. Also the area. I live in a pretty nice suburb area, and the discount stores near me are all pretty organized and nice.

Man, I just love discount stores. I do the majority of my shopping at TJ Maxx and marshalls,for kitchen & housewears stuff. I find awesome food there too. I like zero calorie vitamin water, and I recently found some at TJ maxx for .50 each! And chips. For some reason, the TJ Maxx by me always has great vegan chips that I can't find anywhere else.

(for clothes, I love Marshalls, Nordstroms Rack, Off 5th ave. and Lohemanns. Ross great for cheap stuff like workout clothes and VEGAN SHOES)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

dakini wrote:
I've seen some neat looking foodstuffs at Marshalls but had the same concern. I'll have to go back and check the dates! This is exciting!

I had that worry too! But now I check dates and in sure o what I'm buying, mostly the things I've got are definitely not expired or near expiration.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]