| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

We had the Bummis nb super snaps, and I would say 6-10lb was probably about right, although V is tall and skinny, so if you have a shorter baby the 10lb might be a stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep, it says 6-10lbs on the cover, and its just a folded Preemie PF under there... He's 80% height and weight. Chunky guy I guess... My 4yr old was very tall and skinny so the covers fit him better.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey everyone! I have six size one Thirsties Duo covers in super awesome condition* that I don't need anymore. I'd love to pass them on to a PPKer, so if any of you pregnant ladies are looking to start your CD stash, let me know!

(*Used 'sposies for the first couple weeks, then used the covers up until about 3 months and he didn't fit anymore!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:12 am 
Chip Strong

Thanks to whoever suggested the Bummis pull-on! We got a large and use it with 2 prefolds snappi'd on for overnight and it works so great. I was worried the leg holes would be tight on Scarlett's super chunky thighs, but they're perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

bodhi wrote:
Hey everyone! I have six size one Thirsties Duo covers in super awesome condition* that I don't need anymore. I'd love to pass them on to a PPKer, so if any of you pregnant ladies are looking to start your CD stash, let me know!

(*Used 'sposies for the first couple weeks, then used the covers up until about 3 months and he didn't fit anymore!)

I'm interested. How much do you want for them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

stuckunderhere wrote:
And we're officially in again! Yay! Elijah's here (born on Sunday) and I've started using cloth once we got home... I am loving the non-chemical smell

His NB Super Lite covers barely fit *sniff*... Is my kid really that big or do these run smaller than what the cover says? He is 8lbs7oz today (8lbs11oz at birth)

Lydia was 8lbs8oz at birth and fit into those covers for about 2 days! Fortunately i hadn't bought any new ones that size or I'd be really annoyed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 am 
Semen Strong

I am thankful that L has had such an easy time in cloth. She's never really minded a wet diap, so she sleeps through them (for the most part) and most of the night. We've never had any issues and do the laziest maintenance- just a regular wash with Rockin Green. She's never had a diaper rash or a poopsplosion or a UTI or any issues (knock on wood) healthwise so we'd have to switch to sposies. She's chunky so they've always fit well. I have just been so lucky and am so grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
bodhi wrote:

I'm passing on a good deed. They are yours. I'll PM you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

littlebird wrote:
stuckunderhere wrote:
And we're officially in again! Yay! Elijah's here (born on Sunday) and I've started using cloth once we got home... I am loving the non-chemical smell

His NB Super Lite covers barely fit *sniff*... Is my kid really that big or do these run smaller than what the cover says? He is 8lbs7oz today (8lbs11oz at birth)

Lydia was 8lbs8oz at birth and fit into those covers for about 2 days! Fortunately i hadn't bought any new ones that size or I'd be really annoyed.

Yep, definitely didn't fit in them for long (3-4 days at most). I'm glad I didn't buy them. They were given to me by my SIL and Bummis store employees (My SIL used to work there, and they know me very well too). We are in Smalls now at 10lbs.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bodhi wrote:
littlebird wrote:
bodhi wrote:

I'm passing on a good deed. They are yours. I'll PM you!

Poo, I missed this :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

@ Moo...do you like prefolds generally? I was just coming here to post about the Bummis pants. We got two of them from a shop here, but when they came, they were a bit small (the large size). They fit around her legs okay, I think, but they were small one the belly/butt (so that her but crack wasn't covered). So, our terry nappies that we use won't fit inside the pants. This is what we have: http://static.productreview.com.au/pr.p ... e_size.jpg

I have a few prefolds, but have been intimidated by them and only used them as burp cloths when F was smaller. Hoping to find some bigger pullons maybe, but using the prefolds would help me put the Bummis to use too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm 
Chip Strong

We use a diaper service because our apartment doesn't have laundry, so it's really the only way we can use cloth diapers. So, we've only ever used prefolds, and luckily, we like them! Since Scarlett's in the large at 5 months, it makes sense that they might be too small for Freya! Like I said, though, we use it for what we call her "nighttime mega-dipe" with two diapers inside and it does just barely fit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Has anyone washed CDs with a portable washing machine? We're moving Jan 1 (a topic for the vent thread) and we'll be going from use of our own washer/dryer that we need to go outside to get to, to a shared machines in the basement - and our new apt is on the 3rd floor. While going outside five times to get a load of dipes done sucked, at least we knew the machine would always be free and wouldn't have any detergent residue. So we're thinking about getting one of those portable washers just for dipes. Google seems to think it's a decent idea, but I was wondering if any ppkers had any first hand experience with this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

any updated detergent recommendations for a regular top loading non high efficiency washer? I figured might as well put some on my amazon registry in case somebody is looking to buy me some. Also do most people use the same detergent for the rest of the baby clothes as the cloth diapers?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm 
Semen Strong

What kind of water do you have? I'd join a local cloth diapering board and ask them what they use if you can or find a local store near you that sells diaps, bc they'll have the skinny on what works in your area.

I love Rockin' Green and it works so well for our old non HE washer (top loader) but a friend in a nearby town has crazy hard water and the RnG caused rashes because it wasn't working with their water (they also have a HE). In the winter, I throw in a bit of Bio-Kleen (oxygen bleach) to bleach out stains ever 3 washes or so. In the summer sun is our best friend. I would say, go for a good brand of detergent and good quality diaps and you should be good to go. A friend of ours made her own detergent and it killed the elastic in all her covers, so her kid was just leaking everywhere, and she had to throw out a good $50 worth of covers. Also, a detergent made for CDing will protect the PUL on your covers etc. A little goes a long way, so even though it seems pricey to get RnG, it really isn't too bad.

I just toss L's baby clothes in with the diaps and its all good.

http://rockingreensoap.com/

http://biokleenhome.com/products/household/laundry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Crunchy clean!!!
http://www.crunchyclean.com/category_21 ... oducts.htm (closed til the 6th though)

Monkey farts smells awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:10 pm 
And you never will.

stuckunderhere wrote:
Crunchy clean!!!
http://www.crunchyclean.com/category_21 ... oducts.htm (closed til the 6th though)

Monkey farts smells awesome!

I know the owner of Crunchy Clean! She lives in a suburb of Memphis around the corner from where I used to live - she and her family are so sweet! And yes, Crunchy Clean is great detergent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm 

Thanks! I think my water is a bit hard. At least it always looks and feels better when I leave the Chicago area. I believe it has a lot of iron in it since my shower always has a reddish tint to it. I'll check out those detergents and ask around too. The closest store that sells cloth diapers is about 20-30 minutes south so I assume their water would be about the same as mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ohh i remember a map somewhere of what water people have around the US by area. gotta look for it

http://www.raynewater.com/images/hard-water-map.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

chiveggie wrote:
Thanks! I think my water is a bit hard. At least it always looks and feels better when I leave the Chicago area. I believe it has a lot of iron in it since my shower always has a reddish tint to it. I'll check out those detergents and ask around too. The closest store that sells cloth diapers is about 20-30 minutes south so I assume their water would be about the same as mine.

Hah - I'm from Palos and we had well water growing up.. My sister's red hair turned blonde when she went off to college!! At my parents' house now, the city water is a vast improvement over what we used to have. I mean, it even had texture! This is hard to explain to people who grew up with normal water but it was kind of, um, slimy. It was...slippery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm 
Semen Strong

chiveggie wrote:
The closest store that sells cloth diapers is about 20-30 minutes south so I assume their water would be about the same as mine.

I would check with them, because they probably get all the complaints, and hear all the solutions etc. I wouldn't assume they have the same water though. My friend who has the really insanely hard water lives about 20 minutes from me and our water is so very different - I have no problem with RnG and she can't use it.

I do love the idea of Crunchyclean being a family and eco business. I'll do some research and see if we could switch to that, esp if Poopie thinks the owners are really nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
I do love the idea of Crunchyclean being a family and eco business. I'll do some research and see if we could switch to that, esp if Poopie thinks the owners are really nice.

I love my CC! I will not order from anywhere else and I've tried a ton before (even Rockin Green, which I did not like...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

about CC:

Monkey farts smells awesome! (Banana, grapefruit, kiwi, bubble gum, strawberries and vanilla!)

And right now I'm using Mango Papaya, and I really like it too. I like fruity smells! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I use Rockin' green for the moment but I'm not a big fan. But I think European washing machines are totally different than the ones in the US, so maybe that's the reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 am 

I've been using prefolds all this week and it's going really well.
We did have one poosplosion that ran across on my husband's pillow [was feeding her on it at the time] and ended up with a pool of poop on my lap, but to be fair, I don't think anything could have contained that amount, cloth or not.

I've noticed the prefolds are usually still quite yellow-stained out of the washing machine, but whiten up on the washing line which is fine, but some of the covers are still yellow around the elastic edges after washing and drying in the sun. I've been rinsing as much poop as possible off everything after changing her, and soaking the covers in just plain water and the prefolds in this 'oxygenated whitener' stuff before washing with my normal plant-based detergent. Should I be soaking the covers in something stronger? I think it's not recommended because of the plastic? But it would be nice to get them properly clean...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next