| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Monthy Vegan snack box?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:15 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have seen several different sites that offer these. It pretty much a monthly subscription were they send you a box of vegan goodies. Anybody ever get these? How was the experience? Was it worth it?

I am looking at Vegan Cuts right now but have seen some others.

Post subject: Re: Monthy Vegan snack box?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I used to get Conscious Box. I would get the one before it was vegan and give away the non-vegan stuff. The first vegan box was just recycled stuff from previous boxes, so I was not impressed and cancelled.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I was looking around for vegan ones too (I actually wanted a vegan beauty type box, but couldn't find one) and found a review site just for subscription boxes:

http://www.subscriptionboxes.com/catego ... x-reviews/

I ordered this months vegan Conscious Box but haven't gotten it yet, and I got the Healthy Surprise one for my father-in-law for Christmas so obviously that's under the tree, but i've heard lots of good things about Healthy Surprise as far as variety and value goes. I know for Conscious Box they have a different 'famous' vegan pick the products every month, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

As you can see, the reviews for the Vegan Cuts box aren't great, the point of subscription boxes is supposed to be a high number of products for you to try and while i'm sure the value of their box is over $20, it's just not a lot of products.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 am 
Discovered unobtainium

It would be awesome if Pangea or Vegan Essentials did something like this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm 

I would love to know how to do a box thingie. I would love making up vegan beauty/fashion boxes!

I stopped doing boxes because the $20 point was not worth it. I rather go buy me some vegan chocolate a nail polish and a glitter pen and have my own box!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

missmuffcake wrote:
I would love to know how to do a box thingie. I would love making up vegan beauty/fashion boxes!

I stopped doing boxes because the $20 point was not worth it. I rather go buy me some vegan chocolate a nail polish and a glitter pen and have my own box!

My 3 favorite things!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:07 am 

MissMuffcake box: chocolate, glitter and nail polish...No seriously I would love to make boxes and get a company going that appeals to vegan fashion/beauty enthusiasts. I even googled on how to do it...No luck. :/

I would like a box full of stuff I would use not the stuff I would get in the past that had to be tossed due to not liking items or tiny samples that are worthless. I do not want to spend $20 on a pack of sea weed snacks and cheap tea....

Ohh and for the last 12 years I have had a friend and we send each other boxes each month of fun stuff, like cook books, hand made local stuff, vegan treats and gems! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for all the reply's, still on the fence about it. I think my biggest worry is I will get something not available locally and have to start ordering online.

The tiny sample is a worry also.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm 

Okay, I got my Conscious Box and I was pretty happy until I realized that the eyeliner they sent has beeswax in it. This is the one that was curated bt The Vegan Zombie, but i'm pretty sure Conscious Box just gives them a list of stuff they can pick from so it's CB's fault.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm 

One of the people I follow on youtube has done two unboxings for Healthy Surprise:

You'll noticed that it's all/mostly full sized products.

Back to CB: There was a silica packet in my zucchini chips sample and i'm pretty horrified since I ALMOST ATE IT. They're very crumbly so I started to upend the bag into my mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, I got my Conscious Box and I was pretty happy until I realized that the eyeliner they sent has beeswax in it. This is the one that was curated bt The Vegan Zombie, but i'm pretty sure Conscious Box just gives them a list of stuff they can pick from so it's CB's fault.

When I complained about the ammount of bee products/honey in the CB before having a vegan one they said 'their vegan staff likes honey so it is OK'...I unsubscribed. Then resubbed when they did the vegan box but the first box was pretty sucky, products left over from previous boxes so I cancelled right away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I tried to order both the vegan cuts and the vegan Conscious Box. Both were a bit more expensive then I would like with Canadian Shipping etc (but i'm use to that).
Conscious box just paypal refunded me yesterday and took a few days before someone got back to me with why, it seems they aren't shipping to Canada anymore :(.

As far as I know all is still well with my vegan cuts box, but I haven't seen it yet. I blame holiday shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Healthy Surprise had 50% off the first month on their FB page. So I ordered. Will update when I get my box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am 

What size did you get? I got my father-in-law the small one, I think there were about ten items in it? He got kale chips, a sugar-free fruit drink, brownie crisps, a apple mango bar, some spirulina chip things...he thought it was pretty neat. He can be pretty picky and if he doesn't like something, declares it the worst thing on earth. So it's a pretty good gift for him because if he hates something in there, there's only one of them so he isn't stuck with a whole box of a giant bag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am 
ugh

mrsbadmouth wrote:
As you can see, the reviews for the Vegan Cuts box aren't great, the point of subscription boxes is supposed to be a high number of products for you to try and while i'm sure the value of their box is over $20, it's just not a lot of products.

My fiance has gotten a few of their boxes and I agree with this assessment. He did email them once about cost and they broke it down for him, and the cost does reflect the cost of the individual products, though I'm not sure all of those products are worth what they cost.

Also, I understand the reason for a bajillion health foody products, but I want more treats and less raw bars and that sort of thing. Where's my vegan junk food box subscription?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I went with the smallest box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm 

b.vicious wrote:

Also, I understand the reason for a bajillion health foody products, but I want more treats and less raw bars and that sort of thing. Where's my vegan junk food box subscription?

I did get a positive response from Vegan Essentials when I emailed them asking about the possibility of them doing a box, so we might get one! I think the biggest problem we face is that when you put in all full-size products, it adds up really fast. So for a $20 box we might not get much. I am fine with sample sizes because to me it's about variety and getting to try new things, if I really like something i'll be buying a full size anyway. But i'm not sure how many vegan companies do sample/mini sizes. I'm thinking of FFL queso, Go Max Go bars, Dandies/Sweet and Sara...stuff like that. Getting a squeezy packet of queso and snack sized candy bars would be tits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vegan companies should get on the sample wagon. It's hard to pay $6 for a small jar of queso, but if you get hooked on it without paying out $6, it's a different story. Sweet and Sara S'mores are worth whatever they charge once you taste them, but I'd never had tried them if my mom hadn't bought me one in a birthday box.

I want shelf stable packets of Vegenaise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
I want shelf stable packets of Vegenaise.

Yes, a million times yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Stay away from the Vegan Cuts box, it was very skimpy and there was laundry soap....in a SNACK box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:53 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

mrsbadmouth wrote:

What? That's pretty lame. Did CB have an explanation for it? I wonder if that was in everyone's vegan box...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 am 

They basically blew me off and never posted a correction like they said they would. Then they sent me an email survey to rate the box! I gave my monitor the finger as I unsubscribed. They didn't seem to care much, which means it's bound to happen again. It's a shame because they have a good mix of types of products.

Vegan Cuts should probably drop the 'snack' part of the title if they're going to include non-food things.

Isa, tell John to try Healthy Surprise! If you go to their site: https://healthysurprise.com and click on 'the box' you'll see a checklist of what they put in the box. The stuff is always vegan (they specifically mention no honey allowed), gluten free and soy free, and they avoid corn too, and there are some nuts but not a ton. They're really trying to cover their bases as far as being allergy friendly. So yeah, that results in some hippyish snacks, but they're still snacks and pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yah, the box was super tiny.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:28 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I didn't like my Healthy Surprise box. I got it for a few months and cancelled. There was definitely different snacks each month which was cool, but I had one box arrive with already-moldy raw nut falafel balls. Customer service was good though, and refunded me some money. But some of the other snacks I got were, in my opinion, inedible. Like, gross. One thing that comes to mind was this raw hippie carrot cake bar, which was I'm pretty sure sugar-free and tasted like carrot peels. Blech.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

IsaChandra wrote:
Stay away from the Vegan Cuts box, it was very skimpy and there was laundry soap....in a SNACK box.

Did you taste it? Maybe it was really delicious laundry soap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next