| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 224  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm around page 150 of Time Traveler's Wife and I'm not feeling it. Should I go on? I know this is a popular book and everyone loves it but I feel like an anomaly. Does it get better? I don't even know if it's a question of getting better though because I'm not feeling the emotional depth and don't care about these characters...

Did you end up finishing this? I read it many years ago and thought it was awful. Kept expecting it to get better and it did not.

I read Columbine, The Casual Vacancy and Why Have Kids last week and enjoyed them all. I thought Columbine was bloody brilliant.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:52 am 
WELFARIST!

pandacookie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I'm around page 150 of Time Traveler's Wife and I'm not feeling it. Should I go on? I know this is a popular book and everyone loves it but I feel like an anomaly. Does it get better? I don't even know if it's a question of getting better though because I'm not feeling the emotional depth and don't care about these characters...

Did you end up finishing this? I read it many years ago and thought it was awful. Kept expecting it to get better and it did not.

I read Columbine, The Casual Vacancy and Why Have Kids last week and enjoyed them all. I thought Columbine was bloody brilliant.

Nope, I never did finish. Took it back to the library.

You guys make me want to read Columbine. I think I'll try and reserve it from the liberry!

Right now, I'm re-reading some of Lawrence Sanders book The Third Deadly Sin. He does such a great job depicting his female character in that book, I never get tired of reading whatever bits pertain to her.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 am 
Grandfathered In

I really "enjoyed" Columbine. And I felt weird realizing that everything I "knew" about it was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories: China From the Bottom Up by Liao Yiwu - although I'm reading a German translation that my (not)mother-in-law gave me for Christmas... reading a book that was translated from Chinese to English and then from English to German (I checked) feels rather strange, and I hope that not too much got lost or distorted. But I can really recommend these stories. They're all interviews with Chinese workers, some of whom have rather strange traditional jobs (like the corpse walker).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:

What did you think of The Casual Vacancy? I bought it for my mum for Christmas so I'll read it when she's finished it. I've heard pretty mixed reviews so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 am 
WELFARIST!

I just finished a rather difficult bit in 20K Leagues Under the Sea where they go ashore to hunt and the one dude is all like I MUST HAVE MEAT! MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT! for about 20 pages, which was mightily tiresome. I'm glad that bit is over and we're back under the sea (where they can continue to dredge up tons and tons of fishes to eat...there are a lot of gluttonous descriptions of all the animals they eat and how they taste in this book).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

jogirl wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

What did you think of The Casual Vacancy? I bought it for my mum for Christmas so I'll read it when she's finished it. I've heard pretty mixed reviews so far.

I liked it. I think Rowling is a good storyteller and I primarily read because I want a good story. I don't think she's an excellent wordsmith but I find that I always want to know what happens next in her books.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:
jogirl wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I liked it. I think Rowling is a good storyteller and I primarily read because I want a good story. I don't think she's an excellent wordsmith but I find that I always want to know what happens next in her books.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 am 
WRETCHED

I just finished When She Awoke and now I'm going to read The Hangman's daughter. It cracks me up how many 'The <fill in the blank> daughter' books seem to be on Amazon, by different author's. This one sounded interesting enough and is free to read so why not?

When She Awoke is described as a mix of the scarlet letter and the handmaid's tale. I haven't read the handmaid's tale so not sure about that. It was an interesting story about a somewhat dystopian future where criminals are colored skinwise based on their crimes and abortion earns you a red (murder) color.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

FootFace wrote:
I really "enjoyed" Columbine. And I felt weird realizing that everything I "knew" about it was wrong.

This. I got it for Christmas and just finished it last week. It was excellent. I also read some Flannery O'Connor over my holiday break. Now I'm reading Anna Karenina.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

flavabean wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I'm now on to Sloane Crosby's I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I'm walking a line between liking it and thinking that she's patting herself on the back a little too much. Like the writing is witty and she's just sitting back thinking, yeah, that was a good one.

That's how I felt when I read it. I liked it, but I felt very unfullfilled by the time I finished it. I think I just can't read comedy writing like that - there's never really a point that the writer gets to. I never really "get" stand-up comedians, and I feel like this is the same sort of thing.

This is a perfect description of the essay I'm currently reading "Christmas in July." She keeps meandering, and I'm like, THE POINT! GET TO THE POINT!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Snobbery and Violence and moved on to the next book in the series, Hasty Death. I think I'm getting in to this series. They're good but also quick reads (hence finishing in just over 2 days). I think I'm just gonna tear through this series before moving on to something else (probably Chocolate Wars, which I also bought thanks to this thread).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

linanil wrote:
I just finished When She Awoke and now I'm going to read The Hangman's daughter. It cracks me up how many 'The <fill in the blank> daughter' books seem to be on Amazon, by different author's. This one sounded interesting enough and is free to read so why not?

When She Awoke is described as a mix of the scarlet letter and the handmaid's tale. I haven't read the handmaid's tale so not sure about that. It was an interesting story about a somewhat dystopian future where criminals are colored skinwise based on their crimes and abortion earns you a red (murder) color.

I was pretty meh about The Hangman's Daughter. But you should really read The Handmaid's Tale! It's one of my all-time favorite books.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

semiautomatic wrote:
which i found at the "free library" down the street from my place (there is a birdhouse-like structure in someones front yard full of used books that people borrow/take/trade, it's awesome).

I love the sound of that!

Just finished This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers and now reading Legend by Marie Lu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished Hasty Death, now on to Sick of Shadows. I'll probably finish the series by the end of the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

You guys make me want to read Columbine. I think I'll try and reserve it from the liberry!

Right now, I'm re-reading some of Lawrence Sanders book The Third Deadly Sin. He does such a great job depicting his female character in that book, I never get tired of reading whatever bits pertain to her.

I really liked ATTW when I read the book, then again, I have not re-read it so my opinion may be different now. Although I generally still love books I re-read. The only exception being Jonathan Strange and Norrel. I really enjoyed that book when I first read it, but when I tried re-reading it a couple of years (or longer) later, I couldn't stand it. Weird.

I was incredibly disappointed with the movie of ATTW, I really felt they did not honor the book at all. I remember when Claire Danes (was she in that movie???) was on Letterman or some talk show talking about the movie, I was suprised at how many spoilers she gave away. Maybe she thought everyone had already read the book at that point.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am finally tackling the Dresden series.

Book three... "Grave Peril". In love!

I am alternating it with the Mary Russel series by Laurie King.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 am 
Nailed to the V

allularpunk wrote:
I just finished a rather difficult bit in 20K Leagues Under the Sea where they go ashore to hunt and the one dude is all like I MUST HAVE MEAT! MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT! for about 20 pages, which was mightily tiresome. I'm glad that bit is over and we're back under the sea (where they can continue to dredge up tons and tons of fishes to eat...there are a lot of gluttonous descriptions of all the animals they eat and how they taste in this book).

ew really?????

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aaaand I read Sick of Shadows last night. These are really easy and fast reads (obvs - I started it around 11pm and finished around 3.30am). One more left in the series - Our Lady of Pain - then I'm moving on to Chocolate Wars.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whoa. This Corpse-Walker book is really devastating at times. fork Maoism, seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:46 am 
WELFARIST!

Emilie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

ew really?????

Yes. It's weird. I understand that Verne was just trying to illustrate all the strange and wonderful animals that the characters come across (at the time it was written, probably most people had not heard of/seen many of them), but then...why's you gots to eat them all, dude?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Ham on Rye- Charles Bukowski.

Not enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

bookwormbethie wrote:
[I really liked ATTW when I read the book, then again, I have not re-read it so my opinion may be different now. Although I generally still love books I re-read. The only exception being Jonathan Strange and Norrel. I really enjoyed that book when I first read it, but when I tried re-reading it a couple of years (or longer) later, I couldn't stand it. Weird.

I liked the idea of the story and the premise sounded intriguing but the characters never clicked with me and I found myself not caring about them or what they were doing so reading further about them seemed pointless. And the remniscences and scenes the two lovers had together (Henry and Clare?) weren't poignant or touching to me. The literary name dropping in the book was driving me out of my mind. It was like when I read James Frey's A Million Little Pieces and what struck me when I read the book was not that it was about a man's recovery, as it was touted to be, but it's focus seemed to be on a man who was trying desparately to be a tough guy. Notice how he reported how many fistfights and tough guy scenes were in that book (if you read the book?). What's that got to do with recovery? Whoever wrote the TTTW wanted to impress me with her reading list, apparently. There was an ego-driven agenda going on with these authors, I thought, that was not about entertaining me or touching my heart or inspiring me or rousing me to some genuine emotion. No...just, no.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

Picked up some new books at the liberry while out earlier:

What Falls Away by Mia Farrow (I love celebrity bios!)

Speak, Memory (autobiographical) by Vladimir Nabokov - such a stunning writer. I've only read Lolita and only read it once so never delved into it or studied it or read any scholarly stuff on it, but VN's writing absolutely dazzled me but there's also something very cold about that book. I expected to be sympathetic to Lolita but I came out with no sympathy for anyone at all in the book at the end, not even for her. See what I mean? Cold. Not a drop of warmth there. That's a bit curious to me, the degree of detachment but it is Humbert's narrative which would explain the coldness, I suppose, because he's supposed to be some sort of sociopath.

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Modern Critical Views - edited by Harold Bloom - a collection of the scholarly essays of literary critics discussing major themes in the works of FSF. I'm the first to break the spine on this book, it's brand spanking new!

Major Literary Characters: Gatsby - edited by Harold Bloom. More Fitzgerald criticism from assorted scholars focused solely on Gatsby.

And we also have a room in our building where people can drop off their books for other residents to take and so I picked up:

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. Vijita's mother's college roomate, I think! (correct me if I'm wrong). I think MT has a wry humor that I will enjoy.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Mostly because from being at PPK over the years, this book brings forth so much hate I wanna know why. I read the introduction and it seemed to be, you know, really intellectual in tone. And written by AR herself so pretty self-congratulatory. Like, you know where you have to re-read sentences over and over to really grasp their meaning because they've been written in such a complicated (and maybe jargonish?) way and it doesn't seem necessary? That kind of intellectual writing. I dunno about this one, if I'll ever actually read it. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

julialegume wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
I'm about halfway through 1Q84.

This book gave me intense nightmares. Have you noticed the narration over-reminds the reader about parts that have obviously happened? Overall I loved it- it's wild to think about how it's translated. What do you think about it so far?

Yes! Especially in the third book. I liked book 1 & 2 a lot! But 3 is kinda boring me so far. I hope to finish today or some time next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 224  Next