| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the wonton soup. It took me a million hours to make the wontons but it was great. The broth is terrific.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I can finally join the fun! I got this cookbook for Christmas, and tonight I make the Pad See Ew with Savory Baked Tofu for dinner and the Rose Water Baklava for dessert (yes, I know these totally don't go together, but I didn't care!!!) and wow! So much deliciousness. I don't know if I can handle it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I did a Korean meal last night. I made the bulgogi, the bibimbop (without the tofu) and the kimchi pancakes from this book, along with a few dishes from the Korean chapter of Asian Vegan Kitchen. I adored the pancakes and the bulgogi. The bibimbop was very good but we ate a brilliant restaurant version just a few days ago. I think the rice in that one was more flavoured, so I might try cooking the rice in some kind of broth next time. A brilliant meal all together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:32 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Has anyone made the Flying Massamun Curry? It's so easy & crazy good. Plus, it makes a ton.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I got all the weird Thai soy sauces this weekend. I am excited to make Pad See Ew! It's one of my favorite things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We made the seitan, almond and sesame tagine last night. Holy moly, folks. That is one amazing dish.
My coriander seitan was really soft, though. I followed everything exactly right, but the dough was really wet. I divided into 4 cutlets and baked, and it did firm up some, but it was still a much softer seitan than I'm used to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:22 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I had to bake my coriander seitan 20 minutes longer than the recipe said and it was perfect, but not anywhere near done at the time in the recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

For New Years, i made the jamaican patties with a friend (along with a bunch of other stuff from other cookbooks) and they were so good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh man I made the Seitan Tibs last night and it was delicious. My bf made the coriander cutlets for it a couple days ago. He was kinda bummed at the softness of it and whined about "why did Terry have to change her seitan method?!?!" because he absolutely adores the Viva Vegan seitans. But you know what? when I cut up the cutlets I was skeptical about the softness too but something about a 20min simmer in that sauce made it yummy! I'm sure next time he'll just bake the cutlets longer, but I do sometimes find that simmering a firm seitan makes it rubbery.
Anyway, I didn't feel like making any form of injera, so I served the mild collards and mild gingery roasted vegetables from the Papa Tofu zine alongside and it was an amazing meal.

I think we're gonna make Greek lasagna on the weekend, and there are soooo many Asian dishes in this book that I can't wait to try. My only gripe though is the index - it's not very comprehensive and with a book this size, that drives me a little crazy. (Like, somewhere I saw the Cultured Cashew cheese mentioned so I went to look up "Cashew" in the index and, nope.) But I do love how the Table of Contents lists each individual recipe, so maybe it's a fair trade.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks, good to know it's not just me! I'll bake them longer next time. They were still really flavourful and yummy.
I made the preserved lemons for the tagine we made and that was definitely a worthy effort. They're so good, kind of like a lime pickle with Indian food. It really completed the flavour of the tagine to have the lemon preserves in it.

I'm definitely going to be making the jamaican patties soon, since now there's a few high praises in this thread for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I got this for Christmas too! We made the Punjabi black-eyed pea curry for New Year's (good luck, don't you know!) and the mango-avocado-cashew salad too. A big hit with my omni relatives, and I can't wait to cook more from this book!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Jealous! I wanted to make that black-eyed pea curry for New Year's but I just had so many good leftovers that I couldn't justify making yet another new dish. It's on my soon-to-make list, though, so I am glad to hear it was a hit!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Going to make the greek creamy lemon rice soup tonight. Is there really only 3 Tbsp of arborio in the whole recipe? Just checking!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

universal remonster wrote:
Going to make the greek creamy lemon rice soup tonight. Is there really only 3 Tbsp of arborio in the whole recipe? Just checking!

Yep. The rice does expand, but there is much more pasta than rice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Beanitarian wrote:
universal remonster wrote:

Yep. The rice does expand, but there is much more pasta than rice.

fantastic. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

Had the Ma Po Tofu tonight and loved it. So simple and yummy. Spouse thought it was a bit too salty (probably my fault)....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I *finally* ordered this. I'm excited to receive it. And of course look back through this thread to try to figure out what to try first!
FYI: bn.com has this title for 41% off, it's priced at $20.42

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the barbequed seitan strips and the fried rice today. Both were really really good even though I was missing half the authentic ingredients. That seitan is just the greatest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made the Island Rice and Peas. I accidentally defrosted adzuki instead of kidney beans (I also used black eyed peas), but it was great. Actually, I think it was better than it would have been with kidney beans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Black Bean Soup with Roasted Poblanos and Pickled Red Onion is yum. I made it in my crock pot; roasted all three poblanos the recipe called for, plus two sweet red peppers. Threw them in the slow cooker with the beans and the other ingredients and let it go for hours on low. I did puree it; I like my soups on the smooth side when there's beans involved, for some reason. I like the fact that the recipe can handle all the changes I made to it; it's hard to mess up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made the Like an Egyptian Lentil Soup this week, and it was really easy and delicious. I like how the caramelized red onions give the soup a hint of sweetness. Also made the Ginger Tomato Chickpeas, and despite the fact that I undercooked my chickpeas slightly, this has the most amazing flavor! It tastes identical to something I've had from our local Indian restaurant, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. I think it's the fenugreek that makes the magic happen.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:45 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

After going through a few pages of this thread, I decided on the Massaman curry as my first VEW recipe. The savory baked tofu was soooo amazing I was tempted to just eat it and forget about the curry. but I managed to wait for the curry. It was absolutely amazing. Definitely something that works for feeding omnis, potlucks/guests, and for weeknights even. I used frozen broccoli as a shortcut and it was perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yassa Tofu for tonight's dinner. So good. I will definitely make this again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

The BF loved the jackfruit tacos, and I am never buying tortillas again!! The homemade ones are so good and easy. Definitely make the pickled onions with these! they totally complement the dish and only take a couple minutes.

I also had problems with mushy seitan (I made the steamed kind). I steamed it almost twice as long as recommended, and it was still underdone. I ended up thinly slicing it and then baking before using in other recipes. The taste and texture were good after that step though.

I love this cookbook, but I have to make the caveat. WORST. INDEX. EVER. Seriously, it would almost be better not to have one. It is so useless!! I was looking for the Pho recipe today... was it under P for Pho? nope. Under soup? No. noodles? not there under P... but wait, there it is under "Tofu pho." (The recipe is called sizzling seitan pho, so what the fizzle?) Sorry if this sounds bisque-y, but this happens every time I look for a recipe, and it is driving me crazy. One of my huge pet peeves is when cookbooks have indices that reference recipes by their titles alphabetically. If you don't remember the exact name of the recipe, you'll never find it. If I want bibimbap, I should be able to look under B, not S for "sizzling rice with veggies"...

That rant aside, I have really enjoyed reading it cover to cover and am so excited to try lots of the recipes. I'm about to move across country in a few weeks, so it's taking all the restraint I have not to run out and buy all the specialty ingredients. I guess I should devote that energy to tabbing recipes and making notes in the index instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the coriander seitan recipe from this book and it was super dense, not mushy at all. I added slightly less liquid than the recipe called for and cooked it for about 5 minutes longer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 39  Next