| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Luckily Violet only gets like that about certain foods. She can spot a banana anywhere in a room, and heaven help you if it isn't ripe yet. Bagels, Pretzels, tortilla chips, and animal crackers also Will Be Shared. She's like the anti-Atkins. But she's not bothered if food's been on the floor a while or where it's been, so I am more worried about how carefully the gym instructors will police them than her stealing food.

I mean, I know I can't stop ALL the nonvegan food ingestion forever, but I'm not giving in as easily as just throwing her into an omnivore pizza party.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

this is verrry random so I guess I'll post it here - last night I had a real-life-mixed-with-PPK dream: I was traveling in the UK with Sierra and headed to either London or Bristol for some big punk show. Met up with a dear old friend and some of the Varukers but then we were waiting for refinnej to show up. And I spoke to her on the phone and was worried because I'd only brought 4 diapers for Sierra and refinnej was gonna bring me some of Freya's hahah.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, I'm so jealous of dream me! I've been feeling extra lonely here with Christmas and missing one of my friends in Chicago terribly, and my sister getting engaged, and my cool friend here emigrating home to Australia. Urgh. Good thing Freya is such a conversationalist. :)

The food at music class thing boggles my mind. I always took snacks with Baby G and Baby K, but it was just obvious that we ate them before/after. I mean, duh. Freya has her snack usually on the way there, then boobies/lunch afterward. Now that she's decided walking is *awesome*, I'm curious to see how much she gloms on to others with food.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We went to baby swimming for the first time today. We are in the last class of the day, but were supposed to be there half an hour early to hear the rules and get a mini-tour of the facility. One of the important rules is about how if anyone poos in the pool, you have to report it and they have to close for 24 hours to decontaminate.

After the 15 minute lecture/tour, we were sent off to the changing rooms to get ready. It's Danish winter, and I walked tiny wu over in the front-pack Snugli, so there were a lot of clothes to take off. Five minutes before our lesson is supposed to start; we're in swim gear--and the word comes in, "poo in the pool." So we got dressed and went home again. Great start!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:09 pm 

Urgh. That is so frustrating. This happened to us twice with Baby G. Once we tried swimming in the big pool, but it was freezing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm 

That's too bad about the swimming.

At babynut's swim class, they require you to wear two swim diapers. One under the suit, one over it. Isn't that weird? I can't see how that would help. Especially since her suit is one of those with sleeves and legs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

they ought to just make little waterproof astronaut suits for them. Public pools gross me out so much! i have to keep reminding myself that it's good for V and sign up anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:30 pm 

The snooty baby swim classes here make the kids wear two nappies too, one disposable (or resuable cloth), then a neoprene one over that. We haven't done the neoprene one yet...sounds uncomfortable but we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

Our snooty swim class in the fancy part of town makes all the babies wear two swim diapers, AND we have to sing a song halfway through class about checking diapers for poop. If your baby pooped, you have to exit the pool in shame.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I laughed so hard at that!

I love torque's story that she asked the lifeguards about pooping in the pool and it turned out it happened most often during senior citizen water aerobics :) We did our lessons at a friend's pool and its heated and saltwater, so I am now ruined for public pools. I never covet anything, but I find myself lusting after her pool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm 

mandycoot wrote:
Our snooty swim class in the fancy part of town makes all the babies wear two swim diapers, AND we have to sing a song halfway through class about checking diapers for poop. If your baby pooped, you have to exit the pool in shame.

Is the second one on top of the suit? That's the part I don't get. And our snooty place doesn't allow disposable ones, which is fine, we have the reusable ones anyway. I guess I just think all the different rules are funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This thread is making me feel like I need to find something snootier than the YMCA, but I don't even know where to begin. If there aren't bizarre, arcane rules and a dystopian shiitake smeared future, I just don't know why I'm bothering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

Butternut wrote:
mandycoot wrote:

Is the second one on top of the suit? That's the part I don't get. And our snooty place doesn't allow disposable ones, which is fine, we have the reusable ones anyway. I guess I just think all the different rules are funny.

Sven only wears the swim diapers, but the girls who wear full suits and the boys who wear trunks wear both diapers under the suit. I would be totally confused by wearing a diaper over the suit!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm 

annak wrote:
This thread is making me feel like I need to find something snootier than the YMCA, but I don't even know where to begin. If there aren't bizarre, arcane rules and a dystopian shiitake smeared future, I just don't know why I'm bothering.

Ha! We started off at the Y, but it was too cold for Babynut. We recently moved on to ultra-snooty heated pool accommodations. We live in such a pricey area for classes, as probably the same as San Diego area, it's hard to separate the truly awesome from the extremely overpriced.

We figure swimming is the one area we can't provide at home, so that's why we pay for that class.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mandycoot wrote:

This made me laugh so hard!

Another parent asked Mr. Rules Guy how often this happens, and he said only 3-4 times a year. So we shall see. But, the classes go on Saturday afternoons from oldest--5 years--to youngest, so just logically our class is the one most likely to be cancelled.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 pm 

Random: Last night I had a dream that annak moved into my neighbor's house. Violet was older, like 3, and annak had another daughter named Julia, who was a year old. Her husband was out to sea and she had to fly Vi to Edmonton (?) to have something done to her molars (??), so I was left in charge of Julia (who was super cute but also a real handful). I had to enlist my sister to help me because I was also overseeing an art opening and Inez and Julia were in cahoots, causing all kinds of trouble. Then annak made it back from Edmonton earlier than expected and told me about the great vegan food she'd found at the airport. PPK dreams always make me feel like such a creep!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, I do live everywhere and have scavenged all the airports for vegan food! (top finds: 2002, Uncle Eddie's vegan cookies at LAX, and 2008, nice wine bar with a few vegan tapas near gate C-4 at IAD. I didn't say it was a very encouraging list.)

Poor Violet, though, needing fancy Canadian dental work!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm 

Ooh, I thought (before the bean) about writing a book about vegan airport food. We usually have a stash with us, but the hunt is part of the fun for me, heh. K is duly impressed. I think I've fed him from the airport restaurants in about a dozen countries now.

I.miss.traveling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Just had to share.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:39 pm 

Hahaha. Oh my.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So, I'm curious what everyone here thinks. An acquaintance is talking on facebook about how she doesn't "allow" her children out of their rooms before a certain time, and they were awake at 5am and sneaked past her to get to the closet with their toys, so she ordered a lock on amazon (I assume to lock them in their rooms from the outside). This seems kinda dangerous if it's even legal to me - what if there's a fire or something? The kids are ~2 and ~4. I have no reason to think she's not a good parent, but we have very different philosophies in general - she is definitely more in the cry it out camp than in the attachment parent camp.

I don't know whether a) I'm finding fault where there is none, or b) whether this is a situation where speaking up is appropriate.

ETA: Maybe she meant a lock for the closet? But I didn't read it that way. Obviously, I would clarify that first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Did you read the UK article written by a guy who said that the best thing he did for his marriage was lock his son in his room? It was all over the AP boards I belong to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... riage.html

Quote:
But, despite telling Diana that locking him in would be for his own safety, she still insisted it was too cruel. Three months later, however, came the night when Diana and I broke down. It took me threatening to move out before she agreed to a trial period of locking his door for one week.

Removing the handle and drilling the holes in Sonny’s doorframe to fit the small sliding bolt I’d removed from our loo door was a dark moment. The noise it made as it clunked shut ran against every positive sense of nurturing. The first night was an utter nightmare. We put him to bed as usual, but as we hurried out and I bolted the door, his cry of ‘No, no!’ was followed by him thundering across the room and hammering his fists on the inside of the door.
We’d left a blanket and pillow just inside, as people had recommended. He was fed, watered, warm and had a fresh nappy. There was nothing more we could do; comforting him would only prolong the agony. Yet still we felt like prison wardens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think sometimes it is safer to have them confined to their rooms then roaming the house right? I would probably want to do it more baby gate style if possible, but couldn't it be really dangerous for a 2 or 3 year old to have free range in house with sleeping parents?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We're doing a baby gate blocking off the rest of the apartment so Malka has nowhere to go but our room if she gets out of bed in the night. I have heard of people telling their kids not to come out of the room until a certain time when kids are getting up at ungodly hours and could entertain themselves with toys in their rooms for a bit. The door locking seems unsafe and cruel, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I hadn't seen that article, Tlish; thanks. I guess it's not as clear cut as I thought. The article is sympathetic (sort of - what is this "evening relaxation time" of which he speaks?) though the acquaintance's locking is comin g about because the kids, who go to sleep at 7pm, woke up at 5 instead of the required 7am. She decided to go to sleep on the couch outside their rooms but the problem came I guess when they tried to crawl past her to get some toys out.. They're still taking naps during the day so it sounds to me like she might be expecting them to sleep more than they really need at their ages, but I guess that's her business. It sounds like her kids have always been great sleepers so I think maybe her expectations are a little different than mine.

ETA: I usually put V to sleep in her bed and shut the door (she can't really open it yet by herself) and put on a baby monitor and go get her if she's awake and crying and bring her into our bed at some point between 10pm (on a bad night) and 5am (on a good night). I don't know why the lock strikes me as crueler than shutting the door, but partly it's an age difference - I'm pretty sure that at 4 I could get out of my room and put on Mr. Rogers if I was up early.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 95  Next