| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: Appetite for Reduction
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Finally made the marinara with blackeyed pea/tempeh bean balls and xgfx pasta. Super tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Made the Irish stew for dinner and it was very good. First time I cooked with beer, ha! Hard time believing the calories are so low (though it does kind of depend on the seitan used) since it's very hearty and filling, one portion is actually perfectly satisfying!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:17 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the potato brussel sprout hash this evening. It was great comfort food. Granted I ate about 3 servings on its own but it done the trick for my hormonal mood.

I've kidney beans soaking to make the mango BBQ beans tomorrow evening for dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:56 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Made the ginger soba noodles with bok choy, subbing GF brown rice spaghetti since that's what I had. I added adzuki beans too. SO GOOD.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finally made something from this book...sweet potato drop biscuits! They're wonderful, as promised. I'm going to be attempting the tamarind bbq sweet potatoes and tofu (instead of tempeh) later this week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Every few months I repost about the deliciousness of the Arabian Lentil Stew. That stuff is SOOOO good. I made a pot of it Tuesday and have had it to enjoy for lunch every day this week. I do leave out almost all the salt though - anybody else find it too salty? Maybe it is my broth (I use bullion cubes).

Also want to put a plug in for one of the salads. I cannot recall the name right now but it is oranges and beets with wild rice. It is so delicous! Try it. Report back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

annasrobbie wrote:
Every few months I repost about the deliciousness of the Arabian Lentil Stew. That stuff is SOOOO good. I made a pot of it Tuesday and have had it to enjoy for lunch every day this week. I do leave out almost all the salt though - anybody else find it too salty? Maybe it is my broth (I use bullion cubes).

Also want to put a plug in for one of the salads. I cannot recall the name right now but it is oranges and beets with wild rice. It is so delicous! Try it. Report back.

That soup is pretty much on weekly rotation since I got the book. I think it's my favorite lentil soup ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

beethecookie wrote:
I'm going to be attempting the tamarind bbq sweet potatoes and tofu (instead of tempeh) later this week.

When I made this (with tempeh), there wasn't enough sauce to coat everything, so I have a note in my book to double the sauce recipe next time I made it. Just FYI, I don't know if anyone else had this problem! It was still delicious, I just couldn't really taste the sauce flavors once it came out of the oven, which is a shame, because it tasted wonderful before I put it on everything!

As for that Arabian Lentil Soup, it is one of my favorite recipes! I once made it twice in one week, which for me is a huge deal, because I rarely make the same recipe twice.

This week I made the Sanctuary Dressing, which I had made before and not totally loved, but this time I loved it! I wonder what i did differently? It is so tasty slathered on a huge salad that also includes the basic baked tofu (with added basil and oregano). Also made the herbed breadcrumb cauliflower (that may not be the right name?) and even though I couldn't get the breadcrumbs to really stick, it was tasty (and easy) as well. If you eat the cauliflower with a spoon so you can get breadcrumbs in the same bite, it doesn't matter that they didn't stick!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Anyone know what is going on with the kindle version of this book? It seems like it has been "under review" for such a long time. I was really hoping to buy this on kindle, as my bookshelf dedicated to cookbooks is already overflowing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

annasrobbie wrote:

I haven't been in any type of cooking mood for what seems like months, but this one is so easy I make it every few weeks. Today I used barley instead of rice and threw in a handfull of kale at the end. I find no matter what type of rice it cooks until it is too soft for me. The barley make it a bit thicker but some still had some chew in the grains. I don't have a problem with it being too salty, but the broths I use aren't salty, and sometimes I only use a container (4 cups) with the rest water for the 6 cups in the recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Beanitarian wrote:
Anyone know what is going on with the kindle version of this book? It seems like it has been "under review" for such a long time. I was really hoping to buy this on kindle, as my bookshelf dedicated to cookbooks is already overflowing.

I have it on kindle. I bought it last year though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I pretty much never add salt when using bouillon cubes so that's probably it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't have any coconut milk, so I left it out of the Butternut & Coconut Rice - and then added lots of steamed veggies and a little more spice. It was awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:40 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the sweet potatoe chipotle brussel sprout-thing (don't remember the name!) last week and it was pretty good. The sweet potatoes didn't shine, so I would probably just use regular potatoes next time to save some money, but the combination with brussels and chipotle was awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the mango bbq beans last night with jerk asparagus. I enjoyed both but I doubt I would go out of my way for the asparagus again. The beans I would probably make again.

I'm planning on making the brussels sprout potato hash again later to use up the last of the brussels sprouts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the cauliflower pesto soup (with pine nuts) and it was pretty good, but came out way too thin since my cauliflower was a little too small. Next time I'll get a larger one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Made the buffalo tempeh, but with cholula (and less than recipe called for, because that ain't cheap) - very good, will make again! We made it with the mac and easy breezy cheezy sauce, which neither of us liked at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just made the black beans in red velvet mole, and at them with some leftover turnip greens on arepas from Viva Vegan. Really good. (The turnip greens were leftover from last night, and really overcooked, so I figured I wouldn't notice the sogginess if they were mixed in with some other stuff.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Quote:
allularpunk wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
I'm going to be attempting the tamarind bbq sweet potatoes and tofu (instead of tempeh) later this week.

When I made this (with tempeh), there wasn't enough sauce to coat everything, so I have a note in my book to double the sauce recipe next time I made it. Just FYI, I don't know if anyone else had this problem! It was still delicious, I just couldn't really taste the sauce flavors once it came out of the oven, which is a shame, because it tasted wonderful before I put it on everything!

As for that Arabian Lentil Soup, it is one of my favorite recipes! I once made it twice in one week, which for me is a huge deal, because I rarely make the same recipe twice.

This week I made the Sanctuary Dressing, which I had made before and not totally loved, but this time I loved it! I wonder what i did differently? It is so tasty slathered on a huge salad that also includes the basic baked tofu (with added basil and oregano). Also made the herbed breadcrumb cauliflower (that may not be the right name?) and even though I couldn't get the breadcrumbs to really stick, it was tasty (and easy) as well. If you eat the cauliflower with a spoon so you can get breadcrumbs in the same bite, it doesn't matter that they didn't stick!

So I ended up making the tamarind tofu/sweet potatoes with adjusted amounts of both the tofu and the potatoes, and I didn't end up doubling the sauce. It turned out to be the right amount for how much food I had, though. It was super delish! It actually thickens up overnight in the fridge and makes stellar leftovers.

Everyone keeps saying make the Arabian Lentil Soup, so I think it's a sign. I still have some leftover Black Bean Soup from Vegan Eats World in my fridge, but as soon as that's gone I'm making the lentil one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love this book so much! I just went grocery shopping and got the ingredients for Lotsa Veggies Lentil Soup and the Potato and Spinach Curry, having a hard time deciding which recipe to make first!

One question-at the Indian market I went to they only had black mustard seeds, and the Potato and Spinach Curry calls for yellow. Does it make much of a difference? I'm sure it'll be delicious either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Regarding black or yellow mustard seeds, I always use whatever I have on hand. I really don't think it matters much. I've made that curry with both, it tastes good either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Tonight I made the butternut coconut rice with blackened tofu. The rice was pure deliciousness, but the tofu wasn't too hot. It never blackened correctly, and the spices just felt gritty in your mouth. I would definitely eat the rice with some other kind of tofu, maybe dry fried.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm 
Chip Strong

Tonight I made the eggplant chickpea curry and the cashew cranberry biryani that is recommended to go with it. Now generally I would put a curry over my rice... but these 2 things, while delicious on their own, just had too much going on when eaten in any sort of combination. I felt I couldn't appreciate either when they were together. And they were both so yummy! So, I will definitely make them both again, on their own, but I am going to make some plain basmati to put under the leftovers of eggplant curry. Maybe I am boring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just made a big pot of Chipotle Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts, or as I like to call it: The Greatest Chili in the History of the World. Aside from the salad dressings, I'm sure I have made this more than other recipe in AFR (2nd Ave Vegetable Korma must run a close second). It gets me through the winter!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Okay, I finally made the Arabian Lentil Soup I've heard so much about. I am happy to report that it does, in fact, live up to its reputation! So easy, so comforting, so delicious, so filling! My house smells so amazing right now, even several hours after it cooked. I think I'm in love!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 119  Next