| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby Registry
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LP, I don't know if you're willing to trek to Somerville, but Diaper Lab in Davis Square is an awesome resource for cloth diapering and baby wearing! They offer classes in both, I've never taken one but I can vouch for how awesome, friendly and knowledgable their staff is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow. so much helpful advice! :-) thanks everyone.

i totally told my husband while we were registering "yeah i can ask all the vegans about this online they will know" hahahaa i <3 ppk. it's so nice to have a network of people who are like me. the people at work who had babies recently are great and totally willing to answer questions but they live their life very differently from me.

ok so no formula on hand. cool. that answers a big question. i was nervous thinking about not being able to breastfeed and then having nothing to feed the kid. for some reason i thought you needed an Rx for the soy. people at work were talking about how expensive the Rx soy formula was and how they were convinced their baby was going to be deficient in something since the baby had a milk sensitivity. (i bit my tongue and didnt ask if she had given birth to a cow). i didnt realize we could just get some at the grocery store. ill have to check there today to see what they have for reference.
we signed up for a package of classes at the hospital we are giving birth at and one of them is a one night breastfeeding class so that will be good.
ill look at the size of the bottles we were looking at. knowing the 8 oz arent helpful is good to know.
i have to look at breast pumps too but one of the girls i work with who gave birth in April said our health insurance covers it (or at least a portion of it) and they just gave her one at the hospital to take home soooo i need to figure that one out cause im going to the same hospital.

i had my husband watch the youtube video on cloth diapers. he said he's still a bit confused but he seems like he is getting his head around it. seems like we need to decide if we need seperate pieces or an all-in-one type of thing. thanks for the specific things we should register for Tofulish that was helpful cause we're total clueless wonders! my husband loves the name "bum genius!" hahaha

im undecided on the tub. part of me just wants to use the sink. we have a very deep kitchen sink and the faucet comes off in your hand and turns into a sprayer. HOWEVER i am also on the "scared of the floppy newborn" side of things. so i dunno. i may just pick a tub and put it on the registry and if we get one we get one.

i have to start looking for mom's groups in my area. i definitely think that will be helpful. my biggest stumbling block is i have really severe social anxiety so walking into a group of people that i dont know is enough to give me a massive panic attack and send me running and screaming the other way.

i have a peanut shell wrap my mom bought me for Xmas. i was planning on registering for a second type of wrap i just hadnt made a decision yet. i scrolled through the baby sling thread but there doesnt seem to be a conscensus towards one thing. seems like different things work for different people.

one thing i forgot about in my first post is a changing pad. my friends with kids told me NOT to get a changing table that you just wont use it. but i was looking at just like the foldable portable changing pads. some friends seemed to think that was useless to and to just use the floor or a table to change the kid but i dont think i will be using the floor. i have crappy knees and 2 dogs that would be VERY interested in dirty diapers and dirty butts. a table is fine but like not to be gross but isnt it kind of nasty to change a dirty diaper on a table? are you able to keep everything contained? do you just use a towel? i dont think i just want to use my towels for that although it's certainly an option.

thanks everyone! im feeling better about this all! also i was stressing out about where to have my baby shower as i dont want it at my house because of the dogs and possible parking issues and i ASSUMED my mom would just offer up her house but she didnt seem to be doing that.
she just emailed me and said she thinks we need to have it at an "off site" location but not to worry because she and my aunt will take care of everything and ill basically just need to say yes or no. so that's good. i was thinking to myself "isnt someone supposed to do this FOR me??" lol!

thanks again ppk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

bap wrote:
LP, I don't know if you're willing to trek to Somerville, but Diaper Lab in Davis Square is an awesome resource for cloth diapering and baby wearing! They offer classes in both, I've never taken one but I can vouch for how awesome, friendly and knowledgable their staff is.

Davis square is a bit of a trek for us. we live in Marlboro but it might be worth it to take a trip on a weekend since we are so totally clueless.
thanks for the tip! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

On changing pads: Two different things - if you're talking about home use and you have a dresser that's changing-table height, you can get a form change pad and a couple covers (so if one gets dirty, you can change it and wait for the other one to go through the laundry) and you're set. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Con ... 581&sr=1-1 A foldable changing pad is more useful for going out, when you have to change the kid on surfaces that might not be very clean (like the changing tables in bathrooms, especially), or if you have to change the kid on a surface you want to protect from your kid's poo (like someone else's couch or dining room table). If you're just changing the kid on your own bed, a receiving blanket (you will wind up with 100 of these) is usually sufficient and easy to throw in the laundry if it gets messy. ETA: We used our foldable changing pad constantly, it is really well worth it, and if it's a kind with a handle and a couple compartments inside, you can totally leave the house with nothing but that and tuck a diaper/wipes/wet bag (if you're cloth diapering) and go. Mr. A used to walk around town with Malka wrapped up in the Moby, the changing pad clipped to a belt loop or the hip of the Moby, a couple diapers and bottles tucked into the changing pad, totally arms-free. Ours was a little simpler than this one, but basically: http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Jonathan ... anging+pad

On tubs: I have no idea how people bathe babies in the sink with no other gear. We got a big tub package that had a tub with a weird sprayer thing that was supposed to pull up water from the bottom of the tub (this didn't really work, but might have been fun if it did), and it also had a hammock thing for resting the baby on in the tub. The hammock was AWESOME. If you can find just the hammock thing, it would be great to use in a big sink, because the baby is comfy in it, doesn't move around, doesn't slip off, etc. It's also great to use with the baby in your real tub because you can rest the hammock on your legs or put the hammock on the bottom of the tub and just not fill up the tub more than a few inches. We used this all the time. We've never bathed Malka anywhere but the real tub, until recently we were always in the tub with her. Ah, it's called a "bath sling": http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Fol ... s=baby+tub We also got one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Com ... s=baby+tub which we never used, but it might be good for use in the bottom of your big tub (not good if you can't kneel next to the tub) or if you have a big utility sink.

Last edited by Ariann on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, and if you feel compelled to register for bath toys (which you wouldn't use for a long time anyway), DON'T get any that have any holes in them (anything that squirts). Eventually they will be filled with black mold. Seriously. Don't do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Sorry doublepost.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Just fyi, Summer Infant has recalled at least one of its bath slings. Apparently there was a risk of it collapsing and causing head injuries. We have almost no experience bathing babies bc L hated the bath so we just spongebathed her. And we had no bad experiences with the squirt toys, but now I'm going to be vigilant, thanks A!

For changing pads, I have a portable changing pad that is about the size of a wallet and my fancy Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag had one built in. I have never used either. I hate changing her in restaurant bathrooms, so I'd just change her on my lap in the car when she was a wee baby and put a receiving blanket on me sometimes.

For cloth diapering, seeing makes a huge difference. Its really easy once you see it in action :). I feel like its even easier than disposables because there are no sticky tabs to get stuck on everything. But then I haven't used a disposable in a year so who knows :). Jenna showed me her stash before I had L and it made me feel more confident. But that list on Green Mountain is so helpful :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That one was not exactly the one we got - ours didn't fold down. If you get one that just is solid and doesn't fold, you're good. Couldn't find a link to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I like having a baby bath. In fact, we still use it because Violet refused to bathe in the regular tub when we filled it with water, so inside it the baby tub sits. It's cheaper and easier to fill anyway, so I guess if she's happy, why not? We'll probably get one of those rubber seat things that sits inside a bath at some point (like somebody posted a while back, but it was a British product or something that may not be available here). We have the kind of baby tub that has a reclining side (for ~1-6 months), a sitting up side (6months-toddling), and a removable sling for newborns. My mom has one at her house that she got on sale for $5 and figured she might as well just get it for us, so they're not that much.. and I'm sure you can get one at a garage sale and then ditch it guilt-free when babypunk outgrows it. But if you find that you don't need it, by all means don't get one - I think this just underscores how individual a lot of stuff is.

With cloth diapering, the way I made sense of it finally was to recognize that you needed something to absorb the pee and a waterproof layer to keep it from soaking the rest of the clothes, and then figuring out whether each product was one, the other, or both. But there's tons of information on what brands I like on the CD thread so if you're really interested you can see it, and I won't bother reproducing that here except to say that if you want easy, BumGenius Freetime AIOs are about as easy as it gets, though they're not cheap. Regardless of what you end up using, though, you can register for peripheral CDing stuff like:
- Changing pad covers, nice to have an extra or two
- cloth wipes (try Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/search?q=cloth%20wi ... ship_to=US or we have some of these: http://www.amazon.com/BabyKicks-Natural ... 831&sr=8-4 and we also just use a ton of these because they're so inexpensive that you can get tons and never run out of wipes: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-6-Count-Wa ... 871&sr=1-3 )
- wet bags of different sizes
- diaper pail and reusable diaper pail liner, unless you're just going to use zippable wet bags
- diaper rash cream and diaper liners (I like the disposable ones better than the fleece ones because I'm lazy and hate doing the separate wash, honestly)
- wipes warmer - it's definitely optional, but we like having it to have wet wipes at the ready
- wipes solution - another optional thing, we don't use it
- diaper bag

Keep in mind that with pumps you can rent a hospital grade pump while getting BFing established, and it might be covered by insurance depending on your situation. The hospital will have a little kit you can get for $50 or so which will have the user-specific parts for the hospital grade pump and a couple bottles. So I wouldn't say you need any pumping stuff on hand initially. I recommend you find a good IBCLC who does home visits before you give birth or hook up with LLL, and call them *immediately* if nursing is not going well.

We found Amazon Prime really, really helpful in the first couple weeks of having a baby. There's so much contradictory advice and we simply did not know what we'd need until she was born.. And we had a lot of stuff we didn't use for months. Not that there's anything wrong with registering for stuff you won't need for a while, but keep in mind that whatever you do you won't be prepared for everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think if you have bad knees, you might want to consider the changing table more strongly. I love having a changing table, much more than changing my son on the bed, especially for back comfort. I have a full changing table, which I like because I have a place to store cloth diapering stuff as well. If you have a small space, you can get a changing pad that goes on a dresser or something like that. Those are big, thick, and contoured. The one on my table is flatter, but still cushioned.

Sometimes changing pads (not thick ones that you use with a changing table at home, but smaller ones you take on-the-go) come with a diaper bag, so if you are getting one of those, you might check. I don't use the one that came with the diaper bag though, because it doesn't fold up very small. I like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Kushies-Deluxe-Fl ... 845&sr=1-6 It is quite thin (not a "pad" really), but soft on one side and vinyl on another and a pretty good size, so I can change him at the mall or airport or wherever. I also use these when I nurse him in bed, I put it under him so if he pees it doesn't get on the bed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We got a dresser from someone on craigslist and put a changing pad on top of it, like Ariann described. It's so much easier on our backs than the bed or floor. We had an Amazon registry where you could add things from any website, and I put a changing pad/wet bag from etsy on it. We use them all the time, and it's really cute (you can choose any fabric). It's from this shop: http://www.etsy.com/listing/85186154/di ... h_type=all

If we had a regular bathtub, I would totally have just taken baths with her. Someone gave us one of those silly baby bucket tubs, and we actually really loved it for the first six months! It held her upright before she could hold her head up herself, and it uses so little water and keeps it warm for a while. Plus it's ridiculously cute. Now that she can sit up herself, we got the really simple baby bath tub at Ikea that seems like you can use it until your kid's like 2 years old, and it cost like $6.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the tip about diaper bags coming with changing pads sometimes.
apparently the diaper bag i registered for includes one and i didnt even realize it. HAHAA.

i might just also register for one of the cushier table top pads for home. we need to get a dresser somewhere (the one that matches the crib we picked out is $500 at BRU!!! NO THANK YOU!) and we can use the top of that as a changing area. our house is a split level house so it's literally right down the hall (some of our friend's who said not to get a changing table said it's because you're never near the nursery but they have 2 level houses).

i will have to pick out a tub. i think that will make me feel safer. our sink is very deep but not enormously wide. it's more of a square. my best friend is due about a month and a half before me so ill jsut look at her registry and see what she did :-P

speaking of diaper bags my husband hates the one i want. i LOVE Snoopy and my favorite color is baby blue so i LOVE this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Snoopy-Large-Diaper-Changing-Plastic/dp/B00129F0AS/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=12LXCC0IMDINF&coliid=IOSANE12O8RZA

only problem? we're having a girl. i say who the F cares. i dont think my husband has a problem with the blue but he was like IT HAS TRUCKS ON IT! and i was like ERMAGHERD A BABY DOESNT KNOW WHAT A TRUCK IS! plus who says a baby girl cant play with trucks?

so so silly. :-P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You can tell him my daughter's favorite toys are trucks and cars. When we eventually got a diaper bag (oh...when the baby was six months or so! a little after we got a stroller), we picked one that looked kind of manly and understated, so we would both be comfortable carrying it and so it would go with our fairly manly looking stroller as well. (I actually picked it out, but generally my husband makes those decisions because he's the primary caregiver and has to deal with whatever it is all the time).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah this is from the guy who loves cars and is not AT ALL like "girls cant play with trucks"
it was weird i think he may have just been trying to get me all riled up (an easy thing to do on the subject of pink and what girls can and cant do :-P )

he's already picked out some engineering type block toys (he's an engineer) that are made to be marketed to little girls since engineering isnt really a big interest to little girls, called GoldiBlocks.

he's so silly.

people are gonna be so confused when they see my registry if they know it's a girl. i absolutely abhor the color pink and ruffly stuff so it's all yellows and greens which is fine but there is a good amount of blues and browns. hahahaha. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX RELATIVES! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
He's already picked out some engineering type block toys (he's an engineer) that are made to be marketed to little girls since engineering isn't really a big interest to little girls, called GoldiBlocks.

Now veering dangerously off-topic!

Goldiblocks actually looks like a really good toy (for girls or boys), but it'll be three or four years before you will be able to put it to use! Just plain old trucks are super fun, though. Malka has re-engineered her megablocks dump truck to be a rocking toy (put back the dumping part, sit in the space in the middle, rock hard until you fall off).

But in general, I highly recommend that you just buy "regular" building/science/engineering toys for girls. Gendered toys almost always enforce rather than confront gendered stereotypes and expectations and the "girl" versions of science toys almost universally have less pliability (your imagination is not the limit, the toy tells you how to play with it from go - a major problem when applied to building toys, the goldilocks toy actually does this, too) and functionality (doesn't do as many things to begin with - this seems to be a particular problem with toy electronics) as the "boy" versions. I say this as one science geek to another. Let your daughter know she can play with the real stuff and it doesn't need to be pinkified (i.e. dumbed down) for her benefit.

/off-topic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So much of this comes down to personal preference, but the trouble is that you don't know some things til after she's born, eh? I had a Moby and a Baba Sling all fired up before Freya came along and she basically hated them both. That said, I'd try the Moby again with a little one as she liked it the best and it was very calming for her sometimes. The Baba Sling was ridiculously uncomfortable imo too. Love love loved our borrowed Mei Tai. I'd recommend finding a baby wearing group near you and paying them a visit before lo comes along. You can at least see what's comfortable to you so you don't waste your time/money. They may also have slings you can borrow right around the time of the birth so that you can try them out with baby before making a commitment.

I liked having a bathtub, but I have a fear of babies in the big bathtub, slipping/falling, etc. so it was a nice cozy place for her. F is still using it now (eek), but only because she loves it so much. Just tonight though, I offered it to someone we know who's pg. Having a small top and tail bowl was nice, something you can carry into the bedroom/nursery or wherever.

Ditto to not getting formula in the house...you can get soy formula everywhere, so if you have a 24 hour CVS etc nearby, you're set in case of some sort of emergency anyway. Also would second the idea of holding off on the bottles. We supplemented with pumped milk and I'm convinced that this is where some of our troubles started (which led to formula supplementation and several months of sheer, utter hell...but I digress).

Also, I can't agree more with Tofulish about contact La Leche League. The group in our area has just started offering prenatal classes even. The leaders (and others) I've met there, along with the support from PPK and a doula friend are the only reasons Freya and I are still nursing. I could go on in more detail, but suffice it to say they are amazing!

We rarely used burp cloths, but liked using prefolds too. They are very thick and so often save your shoulders :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my friend who had a baby a year ago posted a link on my fb wall to a local baby place that has classes and stuff about breast feeding and baby wearing so i think i may go check them out. she said she had a lot of breast feeding questions and they were really helpful. they also have a drop in breast feeding group. i dont think it's too far from me either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

love all this advice. We've made several trips to BBB and have an amazon registry going. I can only handle those big stores for short periods of time each trip. We did the big items, and now I'm moving on to the smaller stuff. Mainly what I'm doing is searching and reading reviews on amazon and if BBB carries it, I add it to that registry, if they don't have it, it stays on amazon. BBB will price match any deals from other stores and from amazon too.

I'm also a bit overwhelmed on cloth diapers. The you-tube videos are great to learn about the different types, but it seems everyone likes something different, seems to be that way for all baby stuff. I think I'm going to register for a few different types and see what works best for us.

Tubs: we keep going back and forth about that too. My sister just used those little sponge things in the regular bath tub. like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Comfy-Bath-Sponge/dp/B000H953Y2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357608549&sr=8-2&keywords=baby+bath+sponge+cushion Our kitchen sink isn't that big, so I think we might go that route, instead of having to store a bigger tub. As for bath toys, I saw on pinterest to plug the holes with a hot glue gun, not sure if that works or not.

Oh and for bath stuff. Baby wash clothes seem to be such bad quality and expensive. Any recommendations for something else to use?

For those that used the changing pad on top of a dresser, do they slide around? Is there an easy way to attach it to the wall or the dresser that won't be permanent? Probably not a big deal at first, but once the little one is wiggly I could see it being a bit dangerous.

I hate that so much baby stuff I won't know if it will work for us until the baby is here, but I want to register for practical stuff, and not have to buy it all later.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Quote:
I'm also a bit overwhelmed on cloth diapers. The you-tube videos are great to learn about the different types, but it seems everyone likes something different, seems to be that way for all baby stuff. I think I'm going to register for a few different types and see what works best for us.

this x1000!!!
i bet once you have the baby and figure out what you like it's super easy but trying to figure it out ahead of time is SO CONFUSING!

ugh, now i have stroller questions and i thought we had figured that out!

is a stroller an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE right after the baby is born?
originally we had picked out a travel system we really liked and registered for it and i thought all was good. then today my husband is having second thoughts. the travel system is big, and it's really expensive. my husband wonders what we would actually use it for. we need to get a "new" car because my husband has an old two door Lexus that gets shitty gas mileage. i have a prius which is great but we also have 2 medium sized dogs one of which is a nut job and will need to be seperated from the baby because if we are driving and he sees another dog he goes apeshit ballistic. i cant fit 2 medium sized dogs, a baby, and baby "stuff" in my prius safely. so we are going to get an SUV. ugh. i dont want one but we kind of have to. the travel system takes up a lot of room even when folded down and would need to somehow share the back of the car with the bigger dog so logistically im not sure how that would work.
my husband thinks that as an infant we should just carry le bebe or use the car seat. then later on when it gets big enough for a lightweight stroller and we know better what we need/like/want to get a lightweight, smaller stroller. i have a peanut shell wrap and am planning on registering for maybe a Moby wrap so we will have other ways of transporting the baby other than just arms. i guess im not sure where we would use a stroller. the probably main place i would have used it was to walk the dogs everyday but i think for that baby wearing would work out fine. i know with the crazy dog there's no way in hell i would use a stroller with him. if i have to walk him by myself i will be baby wearing so not only will it be safer but ill have more ability to use my hands and arms. (he's not that crazy he just cant be within eyesite of another dog)

do we have a good idea (ie no stroller til later) or will we need a stroller right away?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

For the stroller, I love the "chicco keyfit caddy stroller frame" that fits my chicco carseat. Just pop the car seat in and out of the caddy and back into the car. It is cheaper than the travel systems and folds to fit in my trunk. I think I got it for $70 on sale at BRU.

When leaving the hospital with it, I kept thinking how much I loved it because the carseat is heavy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had the same thing as Kimba. It was so awesome! I'd register for a car seat frame stroller and then a fancy regular stroller (like a BOB, if you can get some people to go in on it together) that you can use through toddlerhood. Everyone I know hated their travel system from their registry and had to spring for a better stroller with their own money later on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I have a BOB Ironman, which I don't really recommend unless you'll be running - the BOBs are very sturdy, but if I'd do it again knowing how little I've actually run with it I would get a Revolution, because being able to turn is nice. We got the infant adaptor and it makes it possible to plunk your infant seat right into it like you would a travel system. The whole thing will be kind of bulky and not fit that well into a car, though - it takes up all the trunk space even in our GMC.

We also have a cheapo umbrella stroller - http://www.amazon.com/DK-Innovations-In ... le+handles - and it would cost half that without the adjustable handles. It's the lightest weight thing possible and this is what I keep in the car. You can't really use it until the baby is ~9 months or so, though, but after that it's so nice having something lightweight.

Anyway if I were doing it all again I would pay more attention to how lightweight and portable a stroller is. I bought the BOB to take running thinking I'd use the ergo most of the time, but I didn't count on the baby needing to go for a walk every morning to fall asleep for her nap. So, I take that dang BOB out every day on urban sidewalks, and while it does what it's designed to do well, it's impossible to turn without lifting the front of it up, and I swear I have BOB-related carpal tunnel syndrome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We didn't use our stroller for the first two or three months, we just used carriers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oh, yeah, I shouldn't have recommended the BOB not knowing what kind of environment you live in! I love it but we live in a suburb-style neighborhood. We have the Revolution because the wheel has an optional lock for running, and it's great on the trails. Though it is indeed large, and obnoxious to fold and unfold.

I also have Baby Jogger City Mini (from my registry), which is what we leave in the car because it folds up very flat. It was great when Sven was smaller but once he hit 20 pounds it became really obnoxious to use -- it overcompensates on turns with a heavier kid in it, and I don't really trust the strength of the bar that the brake is affixed to. If we still lived in Chicago it would probably be an awesome stroller, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 pm 
Semen Strong

I bought the City Mini and its nice and light and folds easily into my Toyota Corolla's trunk. But I never use it. I just wear Leela everywhere. Its so easy to walk the dog with her on my back (at 25lbs I can't front carry anylonger). Its so easy to pop in and out of stores, navigate crowds etc, and I almost wish I hadn't bought a stroller. I would definitely not get a travelsystem because they are heavy, expensive and bulky. I do really like the universal frame Kimba talks about. I got one as a hand me down from someone who got it for $5 at a garage sale. Oh and I didn't buy a stroller until way after she was born. But she was a November baby.

I used a Moby for the first 4 to 5 months, then an Ergo and now my awesome Kinderpack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next