| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Most digusting/worst food you've eaten?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

When I was a vegetarian, I was chargrilling some haloumi & it smelled exactly like sweaty pork skin. Urgh. My friend loved it, but I couldn't stomach it. I also once ordered a seaweed & carrot stew with rice & it was like someone with really bad bronchitis had coughed on the plate. Stringy & mucousy. Revolting! I'm afraid I can't eat tempeh - I wish I could - but to me, it smells & tastes like when garlic starts going off. I used to hate avocado & fresh coriander too. Avocado mainly because of its texture, & coriander tasted like metallic dust to me, but I love them both now. Pre-vegan, there were lots of things I found thoroughly gross. My mum used to cook these big, fat saveloy sausages that would split out of their skins. Utterly disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Branston pickle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Apart from the obvious - stuff that has gone bad, organ meats - I have to say the Cheezy Sauce from Veganomicon. That stuff was vile! Luckily I tasted it before I put it on our food.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 am 
Ninja Master

Oh god Natto. MessyVeggie loves that shiitake and I've been forced to try it in a restaurant before. Oh god the smell, the strings of goo... It's vile. And the strings stick to EVERYTHING! Ugh I'm shuddering just thinking of it.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

One time I ordered a taco salad and when I was eating the shell I bit down into one of the bubbles and it was full of shortening. Eeeeeewwwwww. That was like 20 years ago and I still stay away from those shell bowls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm craving natto now. :)

I used to hate avocado too (who is this person that I was?!), I think mainly because I didn't eat it growing up and its texture/taste/fruitness didn't compute for me. Now it is a huge staple in my diet.

Do you know what is DISGUSTING? The tomatoes they use at Subway. Barf. Sometimes I need to get Subway in a pinch and just looking at those pale limp tomatoes turns me off my (already shitty) food. I also hate mango chutney, unless the mango is fresh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 am 

recently, the most disgusting food I had was portobello sammich. The portobello was not marinated in anything, was rubbery and had no flavor. It was leaking out tons of mushroom juice so that when I picked up the bun it was brown and soggy with mushroom water and fell apart in my hands. The rubbery texture plus the wet bun makes me gag. I sent it back and got a fried faux chicken sandwich, but I really didn't want anything fried, which is why I had ordered the portobello. ew!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am 

GROSS. Bad portobello sandwiches/burgers are evil. That delicious mushroom takes so much abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am 
Ninja Master

ijustdiedinside wrote:
recently, the most disgusting food I had was portobello sammich. The portobello was not marinated in anything, was rubbery and had no flavor. It was leaking out tons of mushroom juice so that when I picked up the bun it was brown and soggy with mushroom water and fell apart in my hands. The rubbery texture plus the wet bun makes me gag. I sent it back and got a fried faux chicken sandwich, but I really didn't want anything fried, which is why I had ordered the portobello. ew!

oh gross. yeah rubbery mushrooms are the worst. I ate some when i had gallstones and because of that I couldn't eat mushrooms for about a year afterwards, just thinking of them made me gag. Thankfully I'm over it now.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

ashley wrote:
Is it it lame to say arugula? I hate, hate, hate arugula. It makes me my throat tingly and sort of makes me feel like I can't breathe.

Maybe I'm allergic.

That really sounds like an allergy. I love arugula so much it was my user name on the old boards and now it's in my avatar, but I think you should probably avoid eating it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The secret to getting rid of the fishy smell and taste on shirataki noodles is to boil them to death! It says right on the package to boil to remove the "authentic aroma". You can't over boil them, the texture will stay the same, so rinse and throw them in a huge pot of water and let them boil away for a good long time, then drain and rinse again. They aren't going to soak up any sauce, so you really need a sauce or dressing that will cling to them. Something with enough oil to help it cling or something thickened with a bit of cornstarch works well. I wouldn't just serve them up strait, they need to be one of many ingredients in a dish. They are great in spring rolls.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

lamegs wrote:
One of the first times I ate dinner with my In-laws, my husbands mother asked if I liked Sweetbreads....In my mind I am thinking cinnamon rolls, banana bread, or sweet dinner rolls....I was so wrong, and I had to eat it to be polite.

Also sea urchin sushi, which dissolves into a gelatinous disgusting mass as soon as it touches your tongue. I was never a fan of sushi to begin with but this made me vomit.

I adored sea urchins! They're so sweet and salty, and taste like licking the bottom of the ocean in the best way possible. But then again, I love smelly and pungent foods.

As to the worst, I can't think of anything at the moment that has made me wretch. More often, things are just bland or have hair in it. But as to something I consistently dislike, I pretty much despise anything saucy made with arrowroot. It always comes out like mucus.

Oh, wait! I had a juice made with beets the other day. It was sludgy and oddly sweet. Ick!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9