| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine 2 Diet Success Stories on the PPK?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hey gang. I have been MIA forever, but I lurk every so often when I have a few minutes. I have convinced 4 of my co-workers to go on a "clean eating" program for 28 days. I bought the Engine 2 Diet as a basis for our program, but I was going to do some modifications to match the tastes of one of my co-workers (who is far from vegetarian and is most likely to fall off the wagon).

I was hoping that some of you awesome PPKers had done this program. I'd like to hear your success stories and feedback on what you thought was good and bad with the recipes and program.

I'm super excited to get started. We all have different goals. One friend and I have inflammation issues going on. Four of us want to lose weight. One of our group is very thin, but wants to clean up her eating and lower her cholesterol and improve her energy and concentration. One of my co-workers was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago and has some of the worst eating habits I have witnessed in person. He is very overweight. He constantly eats candy, sweets, sweetened drinks and his idea of a healthy meal is Lean Cuisine meals. I fear for his health the most. I want to do all I can to help him (and the rest of us) get on the road to better health.

I have offered to do most of the meal prep and all of the menu planning. For three of us, we are going to do Ani's 15 day Fat Blast for the first part of the challenge. For the others I was thinking Engine 2. I'm excited to hear what your experiences have been!

Post subject: Re: Engine 2 Diet Success Stories on the PPK?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:26 pm 
Crazy bat lady

That sugar detox is going to be nasty. I didn't even think I ate that much sugar, and I was a BEAR.

Anywho, the E2 recipes are pretty boring (at least in Rip's E2 book). You, as an accomplished cook, should just use the recipes as a template, if that. You definitely don't need a recipe for burritos. :) The Forks over Knives recipes are better. I've found that lost of vegan recipes are fairly easy to convert, especially as they just need oil-saute changed to water-saute (or veg broth, or wine). We like to have things like tacos (corn tortillas, cashew sour cream, & every good taco thing on top--clean out the fridge!), lentil soup/stew, lots of Asian/Indonesian/Middle eastern food. Appetite for Reduction recipes are easily converted to E2L guidelines.

With that said, the idea of cutting out added sugar, fat, and processed foods was good for my husband & I. He lost several pounds, I lost a few. One of our friends who did it with us lost 9 pounds the first week! Of course, as he said, 'it's mostly water weight', but he's kept it off & it is motivational to lose so quickly at first. He was even doing the "ease into it" version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Cool! I did get the Forks Over Knives cookbook too. I also have AFR. I think I will use a combo to keep things interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm 
WRETCHED

I think Engine 2 is a solid plan but from what I remember of the portions, they might be kind of big. You can obviously adjust.

I personally don't like eating raw for more than a couple days because I felt like crepe when I tried. I thought it was fun to try, especially in summer and since you are in a warmer climate, it may be easier to do this time of year. I don't know if I'd be willing to do it for 15 days though.

I think Isa's Appetite for Reduction is a good book to look at for lower calorie but filling foods. The foods are just plain delicious. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the lasagna but I've made most of the recipes in the book and they are good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

DG's dad has been doing this for almost two years, with great success. Not Engine 2 specifically, but the "whole food, plant based" thing promoted by Esselstyn, McDougall, Ornish, et al. He wasn't horribly out of shape to begin with, but he lost the excess 15 or so lbs of fat he used to carry around, and his blood work improved dramatically.

I just found out the other day that a friend of mine started doing this recently, but I haven't had a chance to ask her about how it's going.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

What does Engine 2 entail?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:43 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Nebraskalaska wrote:
What does Engine 2 entail?

It's pretty similar to Furhman, Barnard, Esselstyn, Ornish, etc. Vegan, no oil, whole grains, minimal sugar. Engine 2 allows nuts and doesn't restrict grains.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Gothcha, thanks.

I'm following the Eat to Live 6 week plan right now, which restricts whole grains and nuts to one serving a day, but you can eat all of the fruit and non-starchy vegetables you want. I've lost 5 pounds this week, which I know seems like a lot in a short period of time, but I feel great, am rarely hungry outside of meal times, and am making sure to meet my DRA's. I've even gone off the plan and had a few sweet treats this week, but I actually think it's good for your metabolism and will-power to mix things up.

Good luck, VIT!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I am kinda following something like this because while I am trying to keep weight on, my husband needs to drop like 50lbs and hasn't been able to with exercise and eating "what we thought to be" healthy. I like this diet because my kids and I can easily add fat and calories by increasing nuts and seeds, while my husband can stay low fat at the same time. We haven't restricted whole grains though because my husband has given me his blessing to make and have only available plant-based foods, and I don't want to press my luck with saying we can't have grains either.

Anyways, I didn't find dropping sugar to be all that hard. As long as I don't eat anything with too much sugar I don't crave it. The second I cheat and have something, my brain wants more and more and more and more of it. I can actually sit on the couch and tell my husband the craziness that is going on in my head, like how my brain is craving a chocolate milkshake and will do anything to get one. All because earlier in the day I found some holiday goodies and at a bunch. On normal days and even in the beginning, my brain never even thinks of the sugary stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thought I would post a follow up. I ended up doing Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast for the first 15 days. After that we stayed raw at least 1/2 the time. I made lots of stuff out of AFR and a couple of things out of Forks Over Knives. Oddly, I don't think I made much if anything from Engine 2.

We finished the 28 day challenge yesterday. I lost 9 pounds. I felt really energetic on the raw diet, but oddly enough, I have not felt that great the last couple of weeks. I've had a lot of muscle soreness and fatigue. The inflammation in my finger really didn't improve much either, which was my big hope. But I know eating whole foods is the way I want to keep going. I did have chips and salsa yesterday and some fried stuff today and while the tasted good, I didn't like the way I felt after. I think I am going to do "high raw", eating lots of raw and some cooked for a while and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

If this diet or any other works for you then great, but really I question the motives of the people behind them. These branded diet plans are essentially just money making schemes and in the present day post-Atkins obesity-aware era the diet industry has cottoned onto the marketing power of plant-based nutrition as some kind of panacea. At the milder end of the scale you have the sort of stuff being discussed in this thread, but you then also have the crazy 'raw enzymes cure cancer' shiitake too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I tend to agree with you JimXVX. I don't usually jump on board with fad diets. My motivation was trying to get buy-in from other people who were not so familiar with eating vegan/whole/healthy foods. It seemed like it would be easier to say, Hey, here is a book try this. After the first week of our challenge. I ended up formulating menus from lots of sources for them that were healthy, but also things I thought they would like.

I wanted to try raw to see if I felt more energetic and to see if it would help with my inflammation issues. I did feel more energetic for sure. I also felt less bloated. I think a healthy balance of non-processed whole foods, exercise, adequate sleep and good stress management is key. I really need to work on the last two. I'm fortunate to have had a lot of great guidance from my friends here at the PPK on how to prepare all kinds of interesting and tasty whole foods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

JimXVX wrote:
If this diet or any other works for you then great, but really I question the motives of the people behind them. These branded diet plans are essentially just money making schemes and in the present day post-Atkins obesity-aware era the diet industry has cottoned onto the marketing power of plant-based nutrition as some kind of panacea. At the milder end of the scale you have the sort of stuff being discussed in this thread, but you then also have the crazy 'raw enzymes cure cancer' shiitake too.

While I have some issues with the way the Engine 2 diet and Co. present their info sometimes, I also know a lot of the people behind the scenes and they really do see themselves as advocates for health and (for some of them) animals. I know a ton of people who have completely turned around their health through these oil-free vegan diets, and it understandably becomes a cause for them. There's definitely some ish when it comes to branded foods and vitamins, but there's also a passion behind it all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:41 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

There is an Engine 2 support message board on Spark People
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/grou ... ?gid=33730

There is also a PPK message board on Spark People
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/grou ... ?gid=12283

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mollyjade wrote:
JimXVX wrote:

While I have some issues with the way the Engine 2 diet and Co. present their info sometimes, I also know a lot of the people behind the scenes and they really do see themselves as advocates for health and (for some of them) animals. I know a ton of people who have completely turned around their health through these oil-free vegan diets, and it understandably becomes a cause for them. There's definitely some ish when it comes to branded foods and vitamins, but there's also a passion behind it all.

I would agree with that.

I've had conversations with Esselstyn (senior) and Campel a few times and seen them in lectures ( in rinky dink venues that someone out only to make money wouldn't bother with ). They are true believers.

Whether or not people agree with their conclusions, what the "preach" is based on scientific evidence. I don't think it is fair to lump them in with the raw food "enzyme" zealots.