| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 505  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7973
Location: Brasil
we had a brazilian friend in Japan whose job back in the country where he grew up was to slaughter cattle in a non-mechanized slaughterhouse. he told some horrifying stories with a completely blank face. i do really think that it did something to him, it hurt him inside. nobody should have to get hurt, mentally or physically, to provide food for my plate when there are better options. i don't get why that is such a revolutionary, shocking, complex idea.


Edited because i am apparently redundant.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10287
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Slightly Melishus wrote:
Jill wrote:
I think hospitals are slowly changing.


A vegan friend of mine was in hospital a couple of months ago and I when I went to visit I expected to have to do a food run for her. But, she had no problems with getting vegan hospital food. I found that a big surprise considering we live in the heart of Canadian cattle country.

I was in a hospital in total Canadian cattle country too and had a similar experience. The food was pretty gross, and extremely boring (clear vegetable soups, dry bread, steamed from frozen veggies, etc...) but occasionally I got some hummus and they always had soy milk. I was sick (hence, being in the hospital) so the bland food was agreeable. I remember eating a lot of bananas and soy milk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1556
Location: santa cruz!
rhelune wrote:
They changed the design a few years ago, so I like it now, too:
http://bruketa-zinic.com/wp/wp-content/ ... alubox.jpg

Amazon says Bajadera are milk chocolates. That's not true, they are dark chocolates with light vegan hazelnut-almond nougat.
http://www.kras.hr/en/catalog/category- ... 8-bajadera


Holy cow, this business is blowing my mind! I want to track these down and nom them!

I have to say, to my surprise, I ate pretty well in Croatia, especially on the coast. Inland, closer to Bosnia, and in Bosnia itself, was harder. FeweR veggies and more meat. But on the coast, I found loads of super tasty veggie dishes I really loved. Plus, there was delicious bread everywhere. And lots of good vegan cookie options in the supermarkets.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1556
Location: santa cruz!
rhelune wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
rhelune wrote:
Yes, Kraš makes Napolitanke, but some other manufacturers make Napolitanke, too. Some Napolitanke are not vegan (the chocolate covered ones, I think the sugar free ones aren't either). I like hazelnut Napolitanke.

While we're at Croatian products, you might like the condiment Vegeta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_%28food%29

Because almost everyone here puts it in everything, when I became a vegan, in 2004, I asked the manufacturer if sodium inosinate they use is of animal origin, and they responded that it is not.


oh yeah, i've seen some other brands of napolitanke that were not vegan and I was sad that the chocolate covered ones aren't vegan either, but they have 5 or 6 flavors of vegan napolitanke and my little grocery store, so I am happy! I like hazelnut, rum and nougat flavors.

We have Vegeta, too. Is it a bouillon powder? Or, how is it normally used?


I think Kraš coffee Napolitanke aren't vegan, but Podravka (the manufacturer of Vegeta) coffee Napolitanke are.


Coffee Napolitanke?!?!?! omg.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5297
Location: United States of New England
poopiebitch wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
then at my October birthday lunch at work the receptionist got me a vegan cake from WF (soooo nice of her but not what i wanted people think vegan food tastes like) and the CEO was like "so there's no flour or sugar in there?"

Haha! I made my cousin's wedding cake last spring, and over Thanksgiving my uncle was talking about how good it was and said "I never would have guessed there was applesauce in it!" Uhhhhhh.... what?



ha! i get the apple sauce thing all the time! i think people think apple sauce is the egg replacer. i just tell them usually that's an oil substitute for lo-fat and not really a vegan thing. but yeah i get the apple sauce thing alot it's kinda funny.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Los Angeles
Just made a vegan recipe (from a non-vegan site) and in the comments there is one very distraught omnivore asking how she can somehow add eggs or something to the recipe- just cause. She says that she gets all excited only to realize it's a vegan recipe and actually asks if the (RARE) vegan recipe can have an omnivore option.

I think this rubs me the wrong way on a whole 'nother level though, because, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to un-veganize something? Or maybe I've just been substituting my flax eggs instead of regular for too long to remember.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 729
Location: Indiana
Nimmy wrote:
Just made a vegan recipe (from a non-vegan site) and in the comments there is one very distraught omnivore asking how she can somehow add eggs or something to the recipe- just cause. She says that she gets all excited only to realize it's a vegan recipe and actually asks if the (RARE) vegan recipe can have an omnivore option.

I think this rubs me the wrong way on a whole 'nother level though, because, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to un-veganize something? Or maybe I've just been substituting my flax eggs instead of regular for too long to remember.


Because ZOMG I just can't eat a meal without animals! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6689
Location: Norristown, PA
Tofulish wrote:

Yup. My tofu breastfeeds my daughter.


Now that's just tofulish!

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19014
Location: Cliffbar NJ
::mad love to CQ::

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 870
Location: Montreal
rhelune wrote:

Also - dihydrogen monoxide.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

hahaha!!

_________________
~SARAH~

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 am
Posts: 652
Location: Southern Maryland
karichelle wrote:
Nimmy wrote:
Just made a vegan recipe (from a non-vegan site) and in the comments there is one very distraught omnivore asking how she can somehow add eggs or something to the recipe- just cause. She says that she gets all excited only to realize it's a vegan recipe and actually asks if the (RARE) vegan recipe can have an omnivore option.

I think this rubs me the wrong way on a whole 'nother level though, because, isn't it the easiest thing in the world to un-veganize something? Or maybe I've just been substituting my flax eggs instead of regular for too long to remember.


Because ZOMG I just can't eat a meal without animals! :P


at work there are several internal blog posts that include fitness/health advice; sometimes they post recipes. Out of the 150 or so recipe posts that had been made, all of a sudden they posted one that was accidentally vegan. Responders were up in arms over the lack of meat/dairy and the inclusion of "exotic ingredients" like quinoa and soy milk/yogurt..."I could never get my kids to eat that, they barely want to eat their fried chicken and ice cream"

If there's ever been a time I didn't mind fitting that "you vegans don't care about people" stereotype...

_________________
Imma let you finish, but the Paranthropus Boisei were the greatest vegans ever.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5488
Location: A New England
choirqueer wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Yup. My tofu breastfeeds my daughter.


Now that's just tofulish!
I think you mean tofulicious. (Not to mention tofutritious!)

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19014
Location: Cliffbar NJ
torque wrote:
we had a brazilian friend in Japan whose job back in the country where he grew up was to slaughter cattle in a non-mechanized slaughterhouse. he told some horrifying stories with a completely blank face. i do really think that it did something to him, it hurt him inside. nobody should have to get hurt, mentally or physically, to provide food for my plate when there are better options. i don't get why that is such a revolutionary, shocking, complex idea.


I think its because with a certain level of privilege, we assume that others taking a job are doing so because they want the job, not because they have no other options. I remember reading Fast Food Nation, and it talks about the illegal immigrants doing the work really having no other options for work or earning money. The slaughterhouse jobs (even in mechanized abbatoirs) are incredibly dangerous and so many people are injured every year doing that kind of work (with no insurance benefits for the most part).

But yes, vegans are the ones who don't care about people.

Its like the guy who told me that if we stopped buying phones and electronics with conflict metals, the people in the DRC would be hurt because they wouldn't have jobs to put a roof over their heads and food in their children's mouths. So by protesting conflict metals, I was really victimizing the people of the DRC. He obviously had no interest in knowing about the slavery, the atrocities, the use of forced child labor, the fact that the money goes not to the workers but the soldiers forcing them to mine. But that would have perhaps interfered with his enjoyment of his new phone.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3924
Location: Edinburgh
Ugh, that's like when one of my "friends" tried to convince me that I was the bad guy for refusing to buy wool because if I really cared about sheep, I'd be supporting the businesses that are good to their animals. Her logic was so convoluted that I just stopped engaging (and defriended her - that was kinda the last straw after a series of incidents that made me realise that she wasn't actually a friend).

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9570
Location: Seattle
Yes, that argument—people who care about animals have a moral obligation to support institutions that exploit or harm animals—is head-explodey.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 am
Posts: 1533
When I was in my church's youth group the leader told me that I should be glad for the animals used for meat, because "at least they got to have a life." Because being bred and living a miserable existence is preferable to never having existed at all...?

It's actually kind of amazing how few annoying comments I get now that I'm non-religious. It was always at church or in other Christian communities that people felt the need to interrogate me about my dietary choices.

_________________
"One time I meant to send a potential employer a resume, but I accidentally sent them a bucket of puke!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7973
Location: Brasil
i got the nasty look today for not wanting to eat potatoes that were cooked with meat. In a kitchen that was full of the smell of pork, which for me is one of the worst smells in the world to begin with [even pre-vegan]. "But I left the potatoes big so you could pick them out!" "thanks but no thanks, they'll taste like pig." "no, no, this is beef!" well that changes it all, eh. ;-P

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1049
Location: Minnesota
torque wrote:
i got the nasty look today for not wanting to eat potatoes that were cooked with meat. In a kitchen that was full of the smell of pork, which for me is one of the worst smells in the world to begin with [even pre-vegan]. "But I left the potatoes big so you could pick them out!" "thanks but no thanks, they'll taste like pig." "no, no, this is beef!" well that changes it all, eh. ;-P

I hate when people have that mentality. I got that at work when someone was saying a salad was ok because they picked the chicken off a section for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 870
Location: Montreal
Oh yes, my family does that when we go over for dinner... "yes but i took just the veggies out of the casserole for you!" No no, mom, I dont want that crepe touching my food! It wont even taste like potatoes and carrots now because it's drenched in meat/sauce. Eww!

_________________
~SARAH~

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7860
Location: Seattle
I tell those people to think of it like an allergy. If I was deathly allergic to ______ you'd understand that you couldn't cook my food in it, right?

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 pm 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 7973
Location: Brasil
oh monkey you're too good. next time i will give the "if it were cooked with turds would you just pick it out", because i'm a crasshole. also, i don't think these turkeys would cook my food separately if i were deathly allergic either.

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5297
Location: United States of New England
part of the problem is some people dont mind picking stuff out of a meat dish. at one of our office lunches once there was a chicken/broccoli/pasta dish and the vegetarian in the office was picking out the pasta and broccoli to eat and she looked at me and was like "you're not one of those people who wont eat something that has touched meat are you?" and i was like "yes, yes i am one of THOSE people" gross. it's cooked in chicken goo. blech.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2355
I am so sad that the Tapito Doritos are not vegan. Apparently, the are superawseomepants. Or so my partner tells me, often.

We had a funny argument* over them last night. We were sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating snacks. He had Tapito Doritos. I had some not very good rice cake thingies that were on sale. He was telling me how AWESOME his chips were, and was trying to get me to eat them.

"look, its only milk POWDER. You can eat that!"
"ew no"
"but its POWWWWDER"
"If they had POOP POWDER, would you eat THAT"
"Yes, if they had tapito in them"

*Fake argument. And it was hilarious. We went on and on about powdered foods, and what we would eat. He does not really try to get me to eat non-vegan things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7860
Location: Seattle
The Tapatio Ruffles look like they're possibly vegan.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline
Sick of Cupcakes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 6795
Location: Modesto, CA
Jigglypuff wrote:

It's actually kind of amazing how few annoying comments I get now that I'm non-religious. It was always at church or in other Christian communities that people felt the need to interrogate me about my dietary choices.



I was homeless at 18, living with my aunt and cousins. My cousin asked why I did not eat meat, she was like 7 years old, my aunt just cut me off and was like "Jesus ate meat - you need to eat meat too!!!" to her...Did Mary drink 40s all night and party while pregnant? If so my aunt was living by the bible during my horrible month stay....

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 505  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer