| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a job.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:10 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have my EIGHTH or maybe 9th interview for this job today. My god. It's not like it is some super high paying job or anything. It's just decent. Low, I thinks, but adequete for the state of our economy and the job market right now.

They keep saying they are going to get me an offer (written, already gotten verbal) and then they have me do another interview with someone else in the company. Phone intereviews, but I have also done FIVE in person interviews. All in one day at least.

But geez. I'm starting to be worried now. If the interview process is like this, what is the job going to be like? pulled in 9039043094 directions at once? ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I interviewed at a place at the end of November. They weren't in hiring mode quite yet, but brought me in because I sent them my resume. I felt the meeting went really well, but they told me they would not be contacting me until early January (the owners were leaving town for two weeks + all the holidays). Anyway, it's basically my dream job and I don't want to screw anything up by being overly eager, or under ambitious. So, when should I follow up?

WWPPKD?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I interviewed at a place at the end of November. They weren't in hiring mode quite yet, but brought me in because I sent them my resume. I felt the meeting went really well, but they told me they would not be contacting me until early January (the owners were leaving town for two weeks + all the holidays). Anyway, it's basically my dream job and I don't want to screw anything up by being overly eager, or under ambitious. So, when should I follow up?

WWPPKD?

Now. (well, Monday, I guess.) They should be back. It's early January.

Chicki, what kind of job is this? That sounds . . . unreasonable, really. I guess unless you were interviewing for a government position.

I feel so weird applying for "real" (real = in my field) jobs. I don't feel like a real music therapist. I feel like a student pretending to be a music therapist.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Nebraska, I'm thinking January 10th. It's 1/3 of the way through the month, so it's still sort of early January, but you've also given them time to settle in after the holiday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Hmmm, yeah I think the 10th is reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I would follow up now. I don't think there is anything wrong with being overly eager when they in fact said they'd be in contact in early January. The worst that can happen is that they haven't had a chance to make a final decision, but sometimes you need to put the pressure on, in as diplomatic a way as possible. I would probably write an email saying how thankful you are for the interview, how you've been thinking about it over the holidays, and how positive you've been feeling about being a great addition to the team. That'll put the bug in their minds without being overly needy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Good point! I definitely want them to know I'm still interested, but I know that they're not much in a hurry, so maybe a little pressure would benefit everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You go get 'em!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm looking for a summer job as a nurse assistant (undersköterska for those of you who know Swedish). I would prefer to be in hospital, since I've worked in geriatric care before - I need to fill out my CV. I've started the process at the three nearest hospitals (only one of them is actually near enough to be convenient).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got a response to one of my resumes asking about my work availability. That's a good sign, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:11 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Wee! The place wound up emailing me this morning for a second interview!

And Starrynight, that sounds positive to me!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

starrynight87 wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

WWPPKD?

Now. (well, Monday, I guess.) They should be back. It's early January.

Chicki, what kind of job is this? That sounds . . . unreasonable, really. I guess unless you were interviewing for a government position.

I feel so weird applying for "real" (real = in my field) jobs. I don't feel like a real music therapist. I feel like a student pretending to be a music therapist.

starrynight87 follow up NOW! Email, or phone call.

Nebraskalaska, mine is an event marketing job. The thing is, the person that would be my manager (the marketing director) is out on medical leave for a couple of months. So she could not interview me, so instead, she is having a LOT of the other marketing management and sales management team interview me. Cool, I get that. They all loved me in fact.

Then, they made a verbal offer, which I accepted. BUT for any written offers, the CEO has to sign off on it. And THAT guy is on an entire month vacation!

So...i give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, I would have blown this company off. If there were not extenuating circumstances like this, it would raise way to many red flags.

I have interviewed places that were super flakey with the interviews...blowing me off, canceling multiple times. Know what I did? told them I was not interested anymore due to their unprofessional behavior.

(FYI I come on this forum to relax, but IRL I am quite professional, and interview very well. I have actually coached friends for interviews and have written resumes for them as well)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Nebraskalaska, YAY! You'll knock 'em dead!

And Chicki, congrats on the verbal offer; that's great!

I MADE STAGE THREE. I have a one hour in-depth phone interview coming up next, and I am FREAKING OUT. So scared. But so excited! If I pass this, then there's a group interview day, and then... decision time! Oh my god. OH MY GOD. This is the most daunting and terrifying and exciting thing. I feel like I might actually have a chance at something that I want so badly and that is... boggling. I'm just so worried that the group interview day would be the thing to screw me up. OH GOD. I hope I at least make it that far! I can't believe I passed the case study in stage two. Oh my god!

Okay. Breathing. Breathing.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:

Nebraskalaska follow up NOW! Email, or phone call.

In other news, I have been offered the interview. I'm hoping to hear from the other place though. I had to mail a hard copy of my resume to them because their email was down, so it will take longer to hear back. That location is more convenient.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

DarthCupcake & starrynight87 that's great for both of you! :)

I did FINALLY get the written offer last night, submitted my resignation as well. Since it is an event job, they want me to start on Monday (only one week). I wrote a very nice resignation letter, and asked my current employer if one week was sufficient notice. Explained that I am only asking because it is an event job, and that if they need me to stay 2 weeks to fulfill my responsibilities and leave on good terms, I am ok with that. Checked with the new employer, and they are ok with either start in one week or 2. Honestly though, current job is SO BORING and I literally have no projects to work on, I hope they will let me leave early.

Unfortunately, insurance benefits for the new job do not kick in for 60 days, first month after that. So I will be UNINSURED until April 1. And I will be travelling. With no insurance. Cobra is $430/month.

Now, when I was out of work last year, I bought insurance for myself, since I am very scared to be uninsured. My partner went to the hospital once w/o insurance, and it put us in $50K debt. I signed up for the cheapest I could find (basically 'emergency' insurance) but when they checked my medical history, apparently an old RX for anxiety medication, and an old knee injury are considered a pre-existing condition. So the insurance was about $300/month. I believe this still stands. I will call the insurance companies tonight and see what I can get, but I am not hopeful. I might just go uninsured and PRAY that I don’t get hurt or sick.

But daaaaamn that sucks. I have NEVER EVER worked a job where insurance does not kick in for so long! Past jobs I just have to wait until the beginning of the month. I guess this is semi-common though. Meh. Stupid US insurance. I hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Chicki wrote:
But daaaaamn that sucks. I have NEVER EVER worked a job where insurance does not kick in for so long! Past jobs I just have to wait until the beginning of the month. I guess this is semi-common though. Meh. Stupid US insurance. I hate it.

Interesting. The benefits for my last terrible job didn't kick in for 90 days, so I thought that was pretty standard. Good to know for the future!

So, anyone have any second interview tips? For jobs I have been hired for I have rarely had second interviews.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Interesting. The benefits for my last terrible job didn't kick in for 90 days, so I thought that was pretty standard. Good to know for the future!

So, anyone have any second interview tips? For jobs I have been hired for I have rarely had second interviews.

Yeah, well guess I have been lucky with the insurance thing. Pray that my clumsy asparagus doesn't break anything in the next few months.

As for second interviews: If you have samples of your work, bring them. That is when they want to see stuff. Also, this will be the time where both you and the employer get to dig deeper for more information. So be prepared with details, and at the same time, it looks very good to have some detailed questions for them:

"What kind of team will I be working with?" "What is the work enviornment like?"
"What is your managment style?"

I always ask the last one...and ususally follow it up with something about how great that is because that is what I work best with! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

How long should I wait before following up on the second resume I mailed?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

starrynight87 wrote:
How long should I wait before following up on the second resume I mailed?

I would give them a day after you are certain that they got it. Really, with most potential employers, following up quickly is a good thing. Don't stalk them, but timely follow up is important.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yay, good job everyone!

Darth, remember that you deserve this job! Don't think of it as luck...it is the way it should be. :) I know how crazy stressful interviewing is and I wish you all the luck in the world!

I had lunch with someone who hired me for a previous job today, and we were discussing how interviews are a really difficult thing to gage someone's competency for the job. In my current job, I feel like I made a couple of really bad hires based on strong interviews. I told my former boss that I thought I interviewed horribly for that past position, and asked why she decided to hire me in the end. It was because she was sensitive to my fumbling due to nervousness, and that my work spoke for itself. It made me realize that I need to be less harsh on people who aren't strong in interviews, because that could be a sign about just how badly they want the job, but they are so intent on it that they fork up. So basically, confidence isn't ALWAYS an indicator of a strong hire.

It's weird too...because most of the people I'm hiring are working with the public, and their interview skills are not necessarily equivalent to their people skills. I know that I can choke and become so inarticulate in interviews, but I can rock the customer service and surprise myself in doing so. I think I really want to form a better interviewing operating procedure for our business, even though that is such a nerdy thing that a younger me would scoff at it. My cover letter (sent by email) sent me to the top of the list for my current job, even though I was bumbling idiot in my interview. I'm a little bit older than the text/email-only generation, but as an introvert I totally relate to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:59 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Chicki wrote:
So be prepared with details, and at the same time, it looks very good to have some detailed questions for them:

"What kind of team will I be working with?" "What is the work enviornment like?"

I always ask the last one...and ususally follow it up with something about how great that is because that is what I work best with! ;)

Oh gosh, this is brilliant. I ALWAYS try to have a list of questions ready for interviews, but I struggle so much with coming up with them. I think I should start a file that I can always reference with some nice "base" questions that I can then build up and/or modify to specific positions.

vijita wrote:
Yay, good job everyone!

Darth, remember that you deserve this job! Don't think of it as luck...it is the way it should be. :) I know how crazy stressful interviewing is and I wish you all the luck in the world!

Thanks! I just know I want to leave my current job at the end of the year, and leaving for a fellowship, as opposed to just quitting, would be so much better... as well as it would mean I was leaving with a guaranteed job, and something that would be BRILLIANT for my career. I'm an anxious person by nature, so I'm getting myself entirely too worked up about this. But I have two weeks to prepare myself, and I plan to be cool, calm, collected, and as prepared as humanly possible to answer questions like a freaking boss!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Chicki wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Yeah, well guess I have been lucky with the insurance thing. Pray that my clumsy asparagus doesn't break anything in the next few months.

As for second interviews: If you have samples of your work, bring them. That is when they want to see stuff. Also, this will be the time where both you and the employer get to dig deeper for more information. So be prepared with details, and at the same time, it looks very good to have some detailed questions for them:

Haha, we already went over all this stuff in the first interview! I'll try to think of more questions though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Aw yisss. The company I interviewed with Thursday called to give me the green light yesterday, and sent a written proposal (mission and contract) just this morning. Interesting stuff, good pay, permanent position and they are very eager to have me start really soon. Huzzah!

Germany is typically heavy on procedures, and apparently the standard time between agreeing to hire someone and having them start is around 6 weeks, but they want to speed things up as much as possible as the project starts... Monday. Hah!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I had my first job interview ever, just for an internship but I do get money (600 a month), now I just need to get it..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:44 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

vijita wrote:
Yay, good job everyone!

I had lunch with someone who hired me for a previous job today, and we were discussing how interviews are a really difficult thing to gage someone's competency for the job. In my current job, I feel like I made a couple of really bad hires based on strong interviews. I told my former boss that I thought I interviewed horribly for that past position, and asked why she decided to hire me in the end. It was because she was sensitive to my fumbling due to nervousness, and that my work spoke for itself. It made me realize that I need to be less harsh on people who aren't strong in interviews, because that could be a sign about just how badly they want the job, but they are so intent on it that they fork up. So basically, confidence isn't ALWAYS an indicator of a strong hire.

It's weird too...because most of the people I'm hiring are working with the public, and their interview skills are not necessarily equivalent to their people skills. I know that I can choke and become so inarticulate in interviews, but I can rock the customer service and surprise myself in doing so. I think I really want to form a better interviewing operating procedure for our business, even though that is such a nerdy thing that a younger me would scoff at it. My cover letter (sent by email) sent me to the top of the list for my current job, even though I was bumbling idiot in my interview. I'm a little bit older than the text/email-only generation, but as an introvert I totally relate to it.

Interesting...I know I interview very well. Hell, I have made it to 2nd, 3rd interviews (even job offers) for jobs that I was nowhere near qualified for! Kind of the opposite of what you just described.

I didn't end up taking the job though. Sounded like a bad decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 879 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next