| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok, so my new year's resolution this year is to take better care of my skin. I am in my 30's and besides some moisturizer I slap on when I remember to, I am pretty terrible about taking care of my skin. Lucky for me, I think I have ok skin....well, I look pretty young anyway!

I am pretty ignorant about skin care lines, and cruelty-free lines in particular. Can we start up a conversation on what we can recommend for each other? I prefer stuff that I can buy at Sephora personally, but this thread should be inclusive for everyone. Any brands, particular products etc. Where to buy would be very helpful to include.

(I specifically need anti-aging stuff, if anyone can recommend some good vegan stuff, that would be great!)

Ok go!

*I didn't find a good all-encompassing thread on skincare, but if I missed one in my seach, lemme know

Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:49 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I am in the same boat! I'd really like to find some good anti-aging stuff but have no ideas.

I think I like Alba moisturizer the best out of what I've tried (BWC, etc) but haven't tried more of the pricier items. Has anyone tried their other products?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Since going vegan I've been trying all kinds of vegan cleansers and moisturizers for my face and they ALL clog my pores :( Currently I'm using Juice Beauty Chamomile cleanser and its gentle but does not do a good job of removing makeup. I do like the vitmain C serum from Exuberance is Beauty, but its expensive and no SPF. I've tried Trader Joes tea tree cleanser (too harsh on my dry skin), and their face cream (which isn't too bad except for the pore clogging thing).

I'm still on the hunt, I really wish Philosophy was vegan because that is the only line that made my skin look nice :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

2 words: Clairsonic Mia! I <3 mine! I was doing the oil cleanse method for awhile, got bored with it. I am doing Lush's "Let the Good Times Roll" in the AM and the Whole Food's cetephil at night. My AM moisturizer is Murad and PM is strait up aragan oil after using the Alba sea toner. I use Acure eye cream usually but right now have eyelid eczema so it has switched...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm in my late 30s and I've been using Lush stuff recently. Their celestial cream is pretty nice and you only need a dab of it to do your entire face. I also currently use Angels on Bare Skin as my cleanser.

I know many people shy away from Origins due to them being owned by Estee Lauder, but I also think some of their skincare stuff is pretty good such as Checks and Balances cleanser.

And its different for my mom as she has a darker olive skin tone but for the first 50 years of her life, she swore by ponds face cleanser. She thought it wasn't really important what you used but as long as you moisturized. I know now she uses anti-aging stuff since she is in her 60s but her skin really looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:09 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
I'm still on the hunt, I really wish Philosophy was vegan because that is the only line that made my skin look nice :(

i know! i'm using up some philosophy hope in a bottle right now, and i'm afraid that my face is going to freak the fork out when i switch to something else. i have kp on top of being acne prone, and it's so hard to find a salicylic acid moisturizer that helps without turning me into a flaky mess. the philosophy stuff was perfect! i didn't think my face would ever be normal, but it is right now. :( stupid awesome companies selling out to stupid sucky companies. i'll probably switch to alba moisturizers when my current stash is exhausted. i use lush cleansers, which are fine, and i use an apricot scrub a few times a week, but i think i could wash with almost anything. a good moisturizer is so much more important for me, and so much trickier.

i loved philosophy's acid exfoliators and vitamin c microdermabrasion formula, too. i just bought the jack black multi-acid wipes, but i haven't tried them yet. we'll see. i know their stuff is marketed primarily toward men as shaving care or whatever, but some of it looks similar to philosophy's anti-aging line. i don't care about my face smelling manly, as long as it isn't a mess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I also liked Philosophy a lot, pre-vegan. I do use some Clinique, but I know they are owned by Estee lauder. I am trying to find a line that agrees with my skin, but is vegan AND not owned by a naughty company. (that being said, if I cannot find something, I might go back to Clinique, or try Origins). I have heard great things about Origins! Clinique does not seem to make me break out at ALL, which is very good of course.

Pre-vegan (well right now, still using up the GIANT amount I have) I used Oil of Olay's anti-aging night cream believe it or not, and it works very well. But they are naughty company and I wanna get rid of it ASAP.

Lush I will check out. There are a couple in the county I live it, but semi far away. Honestly, I went in a Lush store once in another city, and had to walk out immediatly because it smelled so strongly! I had a sneezing fit from all the aromas of their stuff.

Everyone's skin is different...some stuff can break someone out, and work amazing for another. I hope to get some ideas from this thread, then go to sephora or something and try to get samples or at least some smaller sizes of stuff.

L'Occitane is a line that is sold at Sephora, and from what I can tell is vegan and a cruelty free company. Seems pretty pricy though. Anyone have any experiences with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I could never find vegan products that were affordable and/or that worked with my skin all the time. It seemed like I'd find something I liked and then a few weeks later, I was looking for something else because my skin looked like crepe again or because the product didn't work well enough to justify the cost. Now I make all my own skin and hair care products, except for sunscreen. It's great for a girl on a budget and takes far less time than I thought.

I've been making my own stuff for about 6 months now and while my hair has always been really thick and healthy, my skin is better than it's been in a very, very long time. I know it's kind of vain, but I was always self conscious about my skin and was never comfortable leaving the house without at least wearing heavy foundation and powder and I would always hide behind my hair (which I'm sure didn't help my skin). Now, I cleanse, moisturize, do a 5 second application of mineral powder as sunscreen, put my hair up and off I go. It's a little ridiculous how liberating that is. I've also realized that when I have to talk to someone in close proximity, I'm not constantly putting my hands in front of my face to try and hide the most recent poorly timed breakout or cover up the spots where I applied concealer or extra foundation and now it's turned orange and cakey and is like a spotlight on the things I was trying to camouflage. Plus, I like knowing exactly what is in my products and I can source ingredients from companies who have social and environmental policies that are in line with my own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chicki wrote:
L'Occitane is a line that is sold at Sephora, and from what I can tell is vegan and a cruelty free company. Seems pretty pricy though. Anyone have any experiences with it?

I think they are selling in China now. They don't have the leaping bunny logo anymore becuse of that. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:13 pm 
WRETCHED

I've never actually been in Lush store, I order all my stuff online. There is at least one Lush store near me and I've walked near it (but guess not near enough to smell). I'm pretty sensitive to smells, I can't go into Sephora or Bath & Body Works. I know that is a bit of a risk but I am willing to order stuff to try it.

I used to like L'Occitane's Lavender line but I thought Origins was better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

couroupita wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I think they are selling in China now. They don't have the leaping bunny logo anymore becuse of that. :(

yeah, they're on peta's do-test list now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know there's a sunscreen thread but since this thread seems to be geared toward face products I'll ask it here:

Do you guys know of a vegan sunscreen comparable to the Neutrogena ultra sheer stuff? My dr. told me I must use spf 50 or greater and this is the only thing I've found that is comfortable for me (i.e., non greasy, light, goes on well under makeup/over moisturizer, unscented, doesn't irritate my skin). Most natural brands can't seem to get the formulation right...or maybe I just haven't found the right one yet. This is my last non-vegan cosmetic so I'd really like to make the switch!

For reference, here's the Neutrogena stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003901LEW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm looking through PETA's cruelty-free (companies that don't test on animals) list and I noticed Lather on there. It also looks like some of their products are vegan but if Sephora carries them, then that could be another option. I've had good experience with their products in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

njak wrote:
I could never find vegan products that were affordable and/or that worked with my skin all the time. It seemed like I'd find something I liked and then a few weeks later, I was looking for something else because my skin looked like crepe again or because the product didn't work well enough to justify the cost. Now I make all my own skin and hair care products, except for sunscreen. It's great for a girl on a budget and takes far less time than I thought.

I've been making my own stuff for about 6 months now and while my hair has always been really thick and healthy, my skin is better than it's been in a very, very long time. I know it's kind of vain, but I was always self conscious about my skin and was never comfortable leaving the house without at least wearing heavy foundation and powder and I would always hide behind my hair (which I'm sure didn't help my skin). Now, I cleanse, moisturize, do a 5 second application of mineral powder as sunscreen, put my hair up and off I go. It's a little ridiculous how liberating that is. I've also realized that when I have to talk to someone in close proximity, I'm not constantly putting my hands in front of my face to try and hide the most recent poorly timed breakout or cover up the spots where I applied concealer or extra foundation and now it's turned orange and cakey and is like a spotlight on the things I was trying to camouflage. Plus, I like knowing exactly what is in my products and I can source ingredients from companies who have social and environmental policies that are in line with my own.

What kind of stuff do you use for your own skin care? Like natural oils? Lemon? stuff like that? I have no idea how to even start doing that (obviously). I don't know if I want to do that, it seems kind of a lot of work for me, I already have 9304307530945 projects going, but I am curious. When I was looking online for vegan and cruelty free skincare and makeup, I found a LOT of ladies that do what you do...just make thier own!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:33 pm 

Chicki wrote:
What kind of stuff do you use for your own skin care? Like natural oils? Lemon? stuff like that? I have no idea how to even start doing that (obviously). I don't know if I want to do that, it seems kind of a lot of work for me, I already have 9304307530945 projects going, but I am curious. When I was looking online for vegan and cruelty free skincare and makeup, I found a LOT of ladies that do what you do...just make thier own!

Yeah, I use organic oils (my most frequently used are grapeseed, rose hip seed, argan, jojoba and extra virgin coconut) and essential oils. I use essential oils for everything! You can use vegetable emulsifiers to make really rich, thick body lotion and lighter blends for your face. It's nice to be able to adjust my products as my skin's needs change seasonally (and sometimes monthly), too. Then for lip balm, for example, I usually use things like cocoa butter, candelilla wax and sweet almond oil, plus maybe peppermint essential oil. For soaps and shampoo (and dish and laundry soap, but that's another topic), I use castile soap as a base.

I find that it really doesn't take much time to make the products and the results and cost savings are well worth the time it does take. I would estimate I spend probably 2-3 hours a month making all my lotions, cleansers, shampoo, lip balm, etc, plus house cleaning supplies. I've tried to eliminate chemicals from my home and I feel like humans and dogs are benefiting from that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

What's not vegan about Philosophy? I emailed them once and they confirmed they are animal-testing free, and everything (except one body wash...I forget which one) is animal-free. I use Hope in a Jar, and Purity Made Simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I slather jojoba oil on my face followed by a cheaper other cream (currently TJ's whatever the Spa one is). My skin is really dry though, so for an oilier skin type that may be too heavy. I also make my own household cleaners. Vinegar is my bff!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

paprikapapaya wrote:
What's not vegan about Philosophy? I emailed them once and they confirmed they are animal-testing free, and everything (except one body wash...I forget which one) is animal-free. I use Hope in a Jar, and Purity Made Simple.

they're owned by coty now (i think since 2010), who i believe do test on animals, at least in compliance with china's regulations. philosophy itself doesn't conduct any animal testing that i know of. and i think there are more items than that body wash that contain animal ingredients, although it's still only a small handful, and the non-vegan ingredient is usually beeswax.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 pm 
WRETCHED

I always thought that Philosophy stuff smelled like something crawled in it and died. So thus wasn't a line I care for personally.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

njak wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Yeah, I use organic oils (my most frequently used are grapeseed, rose hip seed, argan, jojoba and extra virgin coconut) and essential oils. I use essential oils for everything! You can use vegetable emulsifiers to make really rich, thick body lotion and lighter blends for your face. It's nice to be able to adjust my products as my skin's needs change seasonally (and sometimes monthly), too. Then for lip balm, for example, I usually use things like cocoa butter, candelilla wax and sweet almond oil, plus maybe peppermint essential oil. For soaps and shampoo (and dish and laundry soap, but that's another topic), I use castile soap as a base.

I find that it really doesn't take much time to make the products and the results and cost savings are well worth the time it does take. I would estimate I spend probably 2-3 hours a month making all my lotions, cleansers, shampoo, lip balm, etc, plus house cleaning supplies. I've tried to eliminate chemicals from my home and I feel like humans and dogs are benefiting from that.

Do you have links/etc so that I could look at that online? I'm really curious, as I'm on a budget as well!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Fresh's soy face cleanser is also something I use at times and it is gentle enough to use on the eye area!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

WHAT! They are owned by Coty? That's super annoying. I didn't realize that. Their products do wonders for my skin!
ETA: That seriously peas me off. Looks like I'm back on the market for products. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

acr wrote:
couroupita wrote:
Chicki wrote:

yeah, they're on peta's do-test list now.

Yeah, it's a bummer because the products really are great, especially the anti-aging skincare. The only animal ingredients used in L's products are beeswax and honey, and that's pretty much only in the hand cream and lip balm. I hope things change in China soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

More than particular products, taking care of your skin is about being consistent with moisturizing and exfoliating. Chasing down the perfect anti-aging cream is an expensive task, so I just stick with this checklist for moisturizers:

Does it break me out?
Does the smell make me want to rip my face off and throw it far away from my nose?

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have the money to spend on a $50+ jar of moisturizer that may or may not keep me from getting wrinkles. My price point for a daytime moisturizer (I use jojoba oil at night) is around $20, and that will last me for two months. But I also don't have very sensitive skin, so I don't need to hunt around for a product that doesn't make my skin freak out minus making me break out.

I actually have three moisturizers right now because I kept finding them on clearance, but i'm not nuts about any of them so when they're going i'm going back to the Avalon Organics vitamin C cream. It's really thick but it absorbs well and doesn't just sit on your face and feel icky. And it has a nice, light orangey smell.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 pm 

lillianp wrote:
njak wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Do you have links/etc so that I could look at that online? I'm really curious, as I'm on a budget as well!

Sure. Here are a couple of sites that I found to be a good starting point. Now it's fun to experiment a little more.

This was the first lotion I ever made, although I didn't use olive oil. I think I used sweet almond instead. It's super easy and inexpensive http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/how-to-make-handmade-handlotion-w-label-download/ I always use a whisk and whip the lotion when it's almost cool to get a nice consistency.

This is another site that has been a useful resource http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/index.html

This is a good place to buy supplies. I've been 100% satisfied. http://mountainroseherbs.com/

I've been happy with the quality of oils from this company http://planttherapy.com/ and their prices are much more budget-friendly than many others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next