| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237 ... 1858  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 am 
Chard Martyr

ooh sorry torque that is annoying.
vijita! I'm sorry you're ill. Love you much. Perhaps you can wear a mask when visiting your friend, just in case? I wore one the other week when visiting mine, who has zero immune system at times, even though I think it was allergies I was experiencing.
I hope it's not the flu but a bad reaction to kombucha in the early morning. Hugs!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Entertained by someone I work with in a different company who likes to work on Saturdays because he emailed me referencing a department in his company that wasn't currently open. As if I would be at work.

A lot of people I work with are workaholics but I am making a sincere effort to not be a workaholic and enjoy life outside of work.

On another front, things with the crush are going very very well. (Being an adult and actually giving someone my number is a good thing)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 am 
Semen Strong

I felt like I had to respond to this, but want to preface by saying that I adore poopiebitch and paprikapapaya and don't mean to offend, but only to perhaps offer a perspective.

poopiebitch wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
I don't know whether it's a cultural thing that I'm just really ignorant of, or whether they're really struggling.

One of my friends works closely with individuals in the Indian population that move into the area to attend the local university. He said that it's really common for them to live with practically nothing (often many families in one apartment), saving every penny, so that when they have enough money they can buy a house and furnish it etc with cash. It's foreign to most of us, but it seems to be a cultural thing.

I don't think its culturally Indian (or South Asian) to live in cramped quarters with practically nothing. There are many South Asians who live in their own homes, not with extended family or others and many have very nice furnishings etc.

I do think that when you move to a foreign country like the US and Canada (I moved to the US when I was 16 and many of our family members moved to Canada in the 80s), everything seems really expensive to you and you don't have much saved up if you're coming from non-European countries. Also, you often don't yet have good credit to get credit cards and you also know that you don't have anyone to take you in if you lose your housing. And so you try and keep as much cash as you can for emergencies. At least in the US, it feels like a single healthcare emergency can bankrupt even a middle class family who doesn't have insurance. When we lived in the US for my Dad's post-doc, my mother became so overprotective because even a regular MD visit was a lot to pay for.

As an example of an immigrant, who is not South Asian, who had a similar experience, one of my friends moved here from Ghana and after being homeless for a few months (they went from JFK right to living in the public hallway near the apartment of people they knew so they could store their suitcase and use the bathroom), started living in the same type of cramped housing without furniture etc, because they were trying to get established.

And students (the population Poopie's friend works with) tend to be poorer and less rooted in the community than others, and often live in smaller spaces because they don't have much money and don't accumulate much because they are hoping to find work and are ready to move anywhere in the country on graduation.

Paprikapapaya, I am sorry that the baby is loud. Leela had a period of a few weeks (probably about 3 - 4 (but everything in that time is a haze to me)) where she cried a lot. It was because her gut wasn't yet mature and she had gas pain :( But it passed and she hasn't cried a lot since, so hopefully it will al pass quickly!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

pet peeve: people who post links on facebook or twitter to their amazon wish lists and say "hey it's almost my birthday, just saying!" and then also it's full of expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 am 
WRETCHED

Tofulish wrote:
I do think that when you move to a foreign country like the US and Canada (I moved to the US when I was 16 and many of our family members moved to Canada in the 80s), everything seems really expensive to you and you don't have much saved up if you're coming from non-European countries. Also, you often don't yet have good credit to get credit cards and you also know that you don't have anyone to take you in if you lose your housing. And so you try and keep as much cash as you can for emergencies. At least in the US, it feels like a single healthcare emergency can bankrupt even a middle class family who doesn't have insurance. When we lived in the US for my Dad's post-doc, my mother became so overprotective because even a regular MD visit was a lot to pay for.

Immigrants from Central/South America have similar experiences. Where I grew up (California), many actually would live in a van near a river or a shanty. Others would share a small apartment. Although, historically, smaller living quarters were accepted. My grandfather built a 3 bedroom house in California (fairly normal) and had 7 kids (again fairly normal for a Catholic family of the time). There was some creative living arrangements when all the kids were younger but it worked out.

It isn't just immigrants though, I used to live above a deaf woman who had around 8 or 9 kids. It would've been a 3 bedroom apartment so it often got loud because of the kids but it was louder because the deaf woman would scream as a normal voice level so whenever she talked, it was a scream (I don't know how her throat didn't hurt). I figured it was just kind of life as apartment living.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Thanks for the perspective, both poopie and Tofulish! I appreciate it.

One thing I always found interesting was the way these families use space that we (we meaning...me, I guess) consider "dead" space. And by that I mean, the mother of the crying baby and a few other young Indian moms sometimes walk the halls of the building - not to get from point A to point B, but just to get out of the cramped apartment and walk their babies. That's something that I've never thought to do, hang out in the hallway. But why not? Also, many of the boys played cricket in the side yard between my apartment building and the house next door. To me, it's always been this dead space; no one goes there except to let their dogs poop. Sure, the grass gets cut, but I've never thought of hanging out in it.

I'm trying hard to not use "othering" language, because it's not like that. But it's been a learning experience for me, seeing how newly-landed folks are adapting to this part of the world. Oh, also, I thought it was really cute that so many of the young Indian men were wearing parkas back in September on their way to work. I snickered to myself and thought, "Oh, you just wait..."

Anyway, I hope the baby is well. I think he's a bit older than newborn, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ijustdiedinside wrote:
pet peeve: people who post links on facebook or twitter to their amazon wish lists and say "hey it's almost my birthday, just saying!" and then also it's full of expensive stuff.

People do that?!
I only ever drop gift hints to family, and that's because they'll straight up ask me what I want/need if I don't.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am 
Nailed to the V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 am 
Nailed to the V

(...not that proud after all)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am 
And you never will.

Thanks for the perspective Tofulish! I certainly didn't mean to suggest all South Asians choose to live in cramped conditions, and reading back over my post I definitely didn't word it very well. I also do want to add that my friend expressed that those he had worked with who did choose to live that way (even after getting high paying jobs in the medical field) did so in order to live in nice houses with nice furnishing later, with no debt. I don't think that came through in my original post. That mentality - of saving and buying rather than going into debt so we can have things NOW - is what I meant when I said I thought it was cultural <3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am 

kilgore trout wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

People do that?!
I only ever drop gift hints to family, and that's because they'll straight up ask me what I want/need if I don't.

yeah, i've seen it a few times recently and it just strikes me as so tasteless!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
And you never will.

BTW: my birthday is coming up soon! Should I PM you the link to my wish list or just post it here?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

pandacookie wrote:
Fee wrote:
Okay so something happened on NYE that's been bothering me...

fork that. I think that sucks. That's one of those times where people should make themselves uncomfortable if it is something that is important to you. I'd talk to everyone involved when they are sober and just be real blunt about why it upset you.

I second Panda. (Although if it were me, I'd probably never talk to any of them again.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Emilie wrote:

Heh, I cut my hair over the sink just before Christmas. Didn't leave as much as that (my hair is very fine and not very abundant). I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the result, but it beats paying someone who will probably snark about the condition of my hair while they cut it and ignore my instructions.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:42 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

kilgore trout wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

People do that?!

I admit I do this sometimes, but always as a joke! I don't usually get birthday gifts from people so there's honestly no motive behind it. But if I post a link for some cool new thing I saw, I might be like "hey, check it out. it also happens to be close to my birthday"

Edit: oops! I just clicked submit and then noticed that people are linking to their wish lists! That's definitely tacky.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm 

yeah, if you were like "hey it's almost my birthday" and the linked to a new car or something, i'd just think it was a joke, obvs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hey guys it is only 324 days until my birthday http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17melrn ... iginal.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Roommate complaint ahead!

Our roommate's bathroom is also the shared bathroom for guests. We had friends over for the weekend while he was away, so I cleaned his toilet (which was a forking disgusting moldy mess) and tossed the four or five towels that were in the bathroom floor into his bedroom (which was covered in dirty laundry anyway). He waits until all of his towels are dirty to clean them, which is fine, but it's kind of gross leaving them in the bathroom floor for weeks at a time. There's a little cubby under the sink that would fit a laundry basket perfectly, and that's where he leaves them. Anyway, this was last weekend, and today, I noticed that he'd tossed those towels back into the bathroom. Does not compute.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

kilgore trout wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

People do that?!

Aw, I like it when people do that! If I'm going to get someone a gift, I want to get them someone they actually want. If I wasn't going to get them a gift anyway, I don't have to look at their wishlist...but it makes it easier to at least get an idea of what they might like if I do want to get them something. I dunno, maybe I'm weird but I think it's cool when people ask for what they want instead of just hoping someone will magically read their mind ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ripping up the carpeting in my room. Sooo not fun. I'm doing the sections that are not underneath furniture now, and dreading the point at which I have to start carting all the furniture around. I'll feel really accomplished when it's all done, though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Must... Not... Go... Crazy...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Biker boy's niece had her baby today so he's a great uncle now. Babies being born makes it a good day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just broke a hammer. I was trying to get up some carpet tack board and it was really stuck, so I put all my strength into it and the hammer just kind of bent in half. Either I am really strong or that was a really shitty hammer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:06 am 
WRETCHED

I'm somewhat annoyed at my (now ex) neighbors across the street from us. They were renters and they moved out this past weekend and apparently left every light on in the townhome including their porch light. I mean their porch light has been on since they moved in but to move out and just leave every light on? I don't understand.

I don't think I've ever met the owner, I've only seen the various renters over the years. Otherwise I'd let them know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I survived my first night in the new apartment! My friend came over last evening and helping me arrange most of my things, so it looks more like a real person lives here and less like a hoarder's den, thank goodness. I love the way my bedroom is set up... And this morning, when the sun rose, I could see it through the east-facing window, and then got to watch the sky change from pink to blue through my wall of south-facing windows.

I am in love with this place.

But I miss Rowdy.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1231, 1232, 1233, 1234, 1235, 1236, 1237 ... 1858  Next