| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's your morning routine?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

How do you start your day on weekdays/workdays/schooldays? My resolution for 2013 is to get better at avoiding the trap of getting out of bed, then laying on the couch/pissing time away on the internet and being late for work. By the way, that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

Post subject: Re: What's your morning routine?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:30 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I know that it takes me 1 hour from getting out of bed to getting to work, so depending on when I need to be in, either "early" (i.e. before 9am) or "no matter" (i.e. usually by 9:30am), I set the alarm and then snooze it or get out of bed immediately.
I go on autopilot to the kitchen where I put the water to boil and take my vitamins, go to the bathroom and pee/wash/contacts, pour the tea water, get dressed, put on makeup, and have breakfast. As I'm done with it, brush teeth, and go out of the door.
I don't even think of turning on the computer because otherwise I'll never be done, and I also never read at the breakfast table (while I read at dinner). So, it's all about keeping the options for distraction as limited as possible, or in my case, non-existant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:47 am 
Nailed to the V

paprikapapaya wrote:
How do you start your day on weekdays/workdays/schooldays? My resolution for 2013 is to get better at avoiding the trap of getting out of bed, then laying on the couch/pissing time away on the internet and being late for work. By the way, that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

ahahahahahah! :D

Well I also tend to be late; the problem is that my routine is so huge that it takes ages:

1/accept the fact that night is over, that I have to pee and get out of bed and drink something rather than pretend that "5 more minutes" would make my day much easier (or 10, or 15)
2/write down my dreams asap before I forgot them completely
3/have a shower before I'd be completely awake and eventually realise how cold it is

I still haven't figured out the best priority order between 2/ and 3/

I also noticed that any task involving the use of internet is to be avoided at all costs...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Uh, you caught me. Pissing away time until I have to frantically run around getting ready. I'm just really good at knowing exactly how much time I can peas away without being late, so it isn't the worst, I guess? I'm not really sure how my (life dependent) morning coffee would work without internet though. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Get up at 6, do bathroom stuff and shower, get dressed/hair/make-up/whatever. Make and eat breakfast/tea/coffee while dicking around on the Internet for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, depending on how quickly I did all that other stuff. Realize what time it is and scramble to get my lunch together, get Toby inside if I'm taking him with me, and gtfo. Sometimes I also have to warm up my car, because frost and cold and stuff. But yeah, I try to leave by 7:20 - 7:30 to be at work by 7:45 - 8:00, so I have time to get organized or sit around and do nothing before my appointments start showing up (8 to 9ish).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Kelly wrote:
Uh, you caught me. Pissing away time until I have to frantically run around getting ready. I'm just really good at knowing exactly how much time I can peas away without being late, so it isn't the worst, I guess? I'm not really sure how my (life dependent) morning coffee would work without internet though. Hmmm.

this is me exactly- how does breakfast/caffeine work without internet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

1) Get up.
2) Poop.
3) Go online. Check e-mail, FB, PPK, a few other regular spots on the interwebz.
4) Poop.
5) Put kettle on for tea. Do dishes until water boils. Pour water.
6) Go back to couch and surf some more while tea steeps.
7) Get up, get tea and some breakfast. Go back to couch and surf some more.
8) Realize you have to leave house in half hour. Get sucked into thread on PPK.
9) Realize another ten minutes has passed and you REALLY have to get moving.
10) Poop.
11) Shower, dress, put on makeup, rush around putting together stuff needed for the day.
12) Run out the door with wet hair and hope you make the tram that will get you to work exactly on time.
13) See tram leaving ten seconds before you get to stop. Wait for next tram knowing you're going to be late.

Luckily, I have a job that starts at 10 am at the earliest. I usually work shifts that start at 11 am or noon, which is even better. I'm trying to shift steps 8-12 forward by 15 minutes so that I can avoid step 13. I'll obviously have to change this routine if I get a 9-5 (or even earlier) job. Although I still need the time for the natural procession of steps 2,4, and 10.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm such a lazy bum right now. It's awesome.

NORMALLY I jump out of bed before sunrise, sip tea, do yoga and Sanskrit things, sip more tea, consider a bike ride or the internet, eat breakfast and start working before 9. However, since I am recovering from a year of crazy travel and complicated oral surgery, I wake up after 8, lounge in bed for an hour, sip tea, do yoga and Sanskrit things, sip more tea, PPK, tea, skip breakfast (because I can't eat), and kinda sorta mostly work.

The internet is dangerous and should be avoided at all costs -- except to check the weather report before I head out on a bike ride or to work. But that takes 2 secs with an app on my phone. If I have to open my laptop before I get to work, all hope is lost.

Also, I don't believe in alarms. Luckily, I pretty much never have to be anywhere at a certain time, so it works. But since I'd almost always rather be awake a few hours before sunrise, it means I have to be good at getting to bed early the night before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wake up early, cuddle with the kitties for a little bit (like 10 min), jump out of bed, feed said kitties, throw on my gym clothes, and then go to the gym (which is a 5 min walk from my house).
After my workout I go back home, flip on the coffee maker, have a shower, get dressed, etc., listen to the news on the radio while I get ready, have a cup of coffee and then go.

I have a ton of energy in the morning, but almost none in the evening. So I just go with it and front-load my day.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

1. (Sometimes) Wake up before alarm goes off. Desperately try and go back to sleep
2. Alarm goes off.
3. Roll out of bed
4. Bathroom things-brush teeth, pee, etc
5. Grab food for the day.
6. Make sure change of clothes are in my pannier.
7. Get out of my apartment and go to my workout (MWF)

If it's tuesday thursday, food isn't already in containers but is put in that morning. Sometimes I waste time on the internet between 2 & 3 and 4 has a shower added in. On mondays, wednesdays and fridays, I shower in the building next to my work that has a public-ish shower after my workout. I'm getting up at 5:10 am on workout days and 6:15 on non-workout days. It takes me ~an hour to leave on non workout days and 20 minutes on workout days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Officially:
Wake up at six, come downstairs, make coffee and breakfast, internet a little bit, get dressed, go to work for the morning shift (which is only an hour and a half, I work at a before and after school program), then either go to school or go for a run and then get working on chores, planning, homework, etc.
Really:
I slept till 6:20 this morning, had enough time for a cup of tea and some peanut butter toast before I had to leave. Glamorous. Considering taking a nap since I've got a ton of errands to do today and I'm exhausted.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am 
A Bad Person

My first alarm goes off at 6am. That one gets promptly dismissed, and I go back to sleep. The second alarm goes off at 6:15. At that point, I get to decide if I want to goof off before getting dressed, or if I'm too tired/comfortable to wake up just yet. If I decide not to get up, I set my third alarm, which is 6:40. 6:40 is my no shiitake, get up and get dressed time. That gives me 10 minutes to get dressed, and 10 minutes to warm up the car or motorcycle before I leave at 7. And then I have a 50 minute commute to work.

I can't wait to move. When I move, I'll be able to cut out almost the whole commute. Then I'll have another hour for sleep!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Up until a month ago, this was my routine: Hit snooze as many times as possible on both alarms (I'm not a morning person and can sleep through all alarms) or hit snooze and check email/fb on my phone from bed. Get up, pee, brush teeth, wash face. Put on clothes. Brush my hair if I remember (otherwise brush it when I get to work). Leave. All told it takes about 10 minutes. If I had important meetings I'd get up 10 minutes early so I would for sure brush my hair and put on mascara. I always kept tea and food at work for breakfast. On the off chance that I eat/drink anything before I leave I have to eat right when I get up so that I can poo right before I leave, otherwise I poo at work after breakfast. I showered at night.

Now I'm not working so I have no routine. I'm trying to make one though... get up, shower, make coffee/tea+breakfast, work on Spanish for an hour. Today failed since I woke up starving so I made breakfast first and got thrown off, no shower or coffee yet and now I have to pry myself off the PPK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

brian wrote:

I can't wait to move. When I move, I'll be able to cut out almost the whole commute. Then I'll have another hour to set off alarm after alarm that wakes my wife up!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

get up at 7:30, bathroom, feed cat, get boyfriend his breakfast, check email, get boyfriend out the door, eat breakfast while watching the news for 15 minutes while brushing the cat and then working out...every day m - f except holidays!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 am 
Impressive boner

Alarm goes off at 7 but I usually hit snooze every ten minutes until at least 7.30. Then I get up and take a shower, dress and feed the guinea pigs, check I've switched my hair dryer and straightening irons off at the plug and leave for the bus as close to 8am as I can manage, depending on guinea pig demands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh god, you guys, my routine is a mess comparatively. I get up, pee, make a crummy bowl of cereal, pet the cats for too long, PPK for too long, have no time to get ready or make a lunch and still manage to be late for work. Resolutions! Gettin' movin'! Bein' productive!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Alarm goes off at 8. I hit snooze but I don't snooze (not usually anyway). Instead I go downstairs and put the water heating on for a shower, since I'm too feeble to work out how to set the timer (yeah, I've only lived here 12 years, with the same boiler system. I swear I knew how to set it once).

Usually go back to bed while water is heating, might read a bit of a book. Shower once water not cold. Get dressed. Maybe check PPK/FB/email if time. Scrabble around for lunch if I need to take lunch and didn't make the night before. Aim to leave house for 8.50 as my work is around 10 minutes walk away. Usually forget something and arrive at work a few minutes late though.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am guilty of the morning internet/TV dicking around too. I will say this though... I feel tremendously better if the first thing I do in the morning is drink a tall, cold glass of water from the fridge. First thing, usually even before I pee. The coldness wakes me up a bit, and also keeps me from getting a headache when I start to ingest ridiculous amounts of caffeine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wake at 5, sleep-in till 5:15, feed cats, shower, dress, pack breakfast/lunch/dinner, make a tea to go, check email, feed cats again, leave for work at 6:45.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 am 
Dead by dawn

Snooze 3 or 4 times, sometimes actually sleeping, other times taking the dog out to pee then crawling back in bed to check email/facebook/PPK on my phone. Then pee/shower/contacts. Go downstairs, feed animals, feed myself, watch local news for weather/get sucked into the PPK for too long. Go back upstairs, makeup/hair/dress/brush teeth. Take dog out, scramble around getting my shiitake together because I spent too long PPKing, leave for bus, miss the one I meant to catch, arrive at work late.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am trying to change mine. Previously, I have been known to set two or three alarms, then ignore all of them until I have ten minutes to get ready and get to work and/or bus stop. I go back to school Wednesday, and I'll have to get up around 6:30 every week day. I'm trying to get used to doing a 20-minute workout before I shower in the mornings. So far, I really like having exercise out of the way early in the day, but it remains to be seen whether that will happen on school days... One thing I really need to work on is eating breakfast.

recent routine:
fight with alarms for about an hour
if I get up in time, watch some stuff on Netflix
play around on internet
realize I only have twenty minutes to get ready and get to work
continue watching Netflix
speed shower/brush teeth/clothe myself
run out the door!

routine for 2 days so far, hopefully to be continued:
wake up after hitting snooze on first alarm just two or three times
curse myself as I put on work-out clothes
work out
shower triumphantly
dress, etc.
get to work a few minutes early

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My schedule is kind of fucky in that sometimes I work at 7 am and sometimes not until 2 or 3 pm. I do the same things, just stretch them out when I don't have to be anywhere to later. Every weekend it's - sit straight up in bed and think 'where am I and who's this person next to me?!' Just kidding.

-alice1drland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

-Brew Coffee
-Put Steel Cut on to reheat
-Neti Pot and morning bathroom ablutions
-Drink Coffee, Eat Oatmeal while wearing an Icepack on my knee and checking the internet for 20 minutes......this is what I am doing right now.
-Wind pocket watch
-Dress and go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You guys have time to fork around on the internet before going to work! Thats amazing to me. Im trying to change my routine as well cause I want to get up earlier and workout before I leave the house. Hasn't happened so far.

Wake up between 6:30 and 7:30 depending on how exhausted I am and if I need to shower or not. But pretty much I get up, go to the bathroom and do all the stuff in there. Get dressed, fix my hair, and then grab my lunch that was pre-made the night before and go. This gets me in the office at 9am, I have an hour commute one way. I drive to the train station and then take the train into the city.

I always make lunches at night for the following day as well as making sure all of the dishes are done and the coffee maker is prepped and auto set to run at 5:30am for my husband cause he leaves the house at 6am.

Ideally I would like to get out of bed at 6 when my husband leaves. Workout/Shower/Dress/Do my hair/Gather my things/Make a smoothie to drink on my car ride to the train/And be out the door by 7:30 or 8:00am. If I could get to work by 8:30 instead of 9 that would be great too!

I check my email from my phone while I'm on the train. Work and personal and I PPK from my phone too. Or sometimes I read on the train but I get motion sickness so that is hit or miss.