| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just deactivated my Facebook
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

...about 30 minutes ago and I think I'm having a panic-attack. Has anyone else successfully quit? (Contacts to 12-step programs are appreciated.)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

Post subject: Re: I just deactivated my Facebook
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have not quit but I am envious and impressed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i quit! and successfully. yay! about a year ago. it was such an awesome decision for me to make.

i never spent a lot of time on facespace, about 10-15 minutes a day. but that = about 2+ hours a month, and i was thinking, "i could do a lot more fun stuff with my time for 2+ hours a month." and so it was deactivated.

facespace wasn't serving me any longer. it wasn't a positive in my life, so i let it go. and truthfully, i don't regret it one bit.

so awesome on your deactivation, AlwaysHungry. wooooohooooo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I quit for a year once...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I haven't quit but I have never signed up! You can do it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm considering ditching it. I use it primarily to keep in touch with my family (who don't do email, and we are bad at the phone) and my local friends (who do use email). Beyond that, it seems to exist primarily to make me feel annoyed at people who I like but who need to be vocal online about their beliefs/politics/life choices etc in an unpleasant way.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I really, REALLY don't like that it's recently started telling you when people read PMs. 90% of the time I will read something before I have a chance to thoughtfully respond to it, and I don't want people to think I'm ignoring them but don't want to feel pressured to respond when I have a toddler climbing over me, screaming in my ear. Apparently the only workaround is a browser plugin that blocks this*, and this is making me reconsider using it. It's a shame because I like to see in a general sense what people are up to and it's such a convenient way to share photos and videos, but between this new development and the ubiquitous political stuff.. even when I agree with the general point I can't stand the general level of wingnut rhetoric and factual inaccuracy.

* The alert that something's been read; if there were a browser plugin to keep the toddler from screaming in my ear while climbing on me I would be on that like a fly on shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

You can mark it as unread after you read it. Sneaky!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 am 

It seems to be dissolving into way too many repeatedly shared stupid ecards/pictures/jokes and increased advertising. I think it's on its way out... I still have mine though... for now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 am 
Mediocre Tart

What's everyone doing on facebook that sucks so much bloody time? It really takes me but 2 minutes a day to bisque about people. And then I log off and endure the rest of my working horror. You're doing it wrong, somehow.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 am 

I cant stop checking it. It's like driving by an accident scene. And what if I deactivate and I Miss Something??!! What then!? /mostly in jest but a little tiny bit true

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 am 

The worst part about having deleted my facebook page a few weeks ago is that now I have less bang?! in my life.

I really am sad about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I really only use it to see the newest pics of my niece and nephews, and my colleagues and I use it for discussing work stuff/switching shifts etc. All my friends are boring on facebook, so, maybe that's the trick. Only befriend people who whate posting stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jojo wrote:
I haven't quit but I have never signed up! You can do it!

Ditto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:23 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I haven't really logged in for a month or two (once to try and work out where my family was on Christmas - I'm abroad), and haven't really missed it. still too much twitter/instagram though :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 am 
Huffs Nooch

I checked facebook for the first time in ages today, and totally regretted it. I'm seriously considering deleting my account for good, except sometimes it's kinda useful to look people up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was considering shutting it for a while but the PPKers on it are my sanity lifeline, so i think i'll leave it.
i do have it set to no chat, which seems to be critical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

jerusha wrote:
I really only use it to see the newest pics of my niece and nephews, and my colleagues and I use it for discussing work stuff/switching shifts etc. All my friends are boring on facebook, so, maybe that's the trick. Only befriend people who whate posting stuff.

You need to get some PPKers on your list!

I love facebook, I'm selective who I add and will cull every now and again to get rid of anyone who doesn't seem to be interested/gets on my nerves. I think taking control of your friends list is vital to keeping your sanity on there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

fezza wrote:
jerusha wrote:

You need to get some PPKers on your list!

I love facebook, I'm selective who I add and will cull every now and again to get rid of anyone who doesn't seem to be interested/gets on my nerves. I think taking control of your friends list is vital to keeping your sanity on there.

This! I'm pretty selective when it comes to friending. I add people that I know I want to keep in touch with/get back in touch with. When I get a friend request, I ask myself two questions: Am I interested in what this person has to say, and am I comfortable having them reading what I have to say?

Oh, and hiding shiitake from your feed is also a sanity saver! I have friends that I want to keep in touch with but who post soooooooooooooooooooo many links and photos per day that they push everyone else out of my feed. I still want to know what's going on with them but I don't need to see every picture they think is cool, so I hide links/picture posts from them.

And PPKers are awesome FB friends to have! Their posts are always interesting/funny/brilliant!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i am a total facebook hors d'oeuvre. i love that shiitake. where else can i procrastinate from school work while i check out if my exes are less successful than me at making their lives look rad? where else can i keep in touch with my best friends all day long? there is nowhere else to share blogs with them all, or share cat pictures, or make events such as a clothes swap, an evening of wine and movies, and it is without question the easiest place to stay in the know of what parties, demonstrations, concerts, club openings, masquerades, burlesque parties etc. are going on and where and when, and then it's easy peasy to invite whoever I want. and i am a part of several groups - my workgroup at the cultural ministry are basically doing all communication in there, and usually my classes make a facebook group to share notes, ask what you're supposed to read if you are sick etc. and it is the best place to keep in touch with new friends by inviting them to things you think they will be interested in! and it's great for sharing pictures of my nieces, and to stay in touch with my mom without calling her very often (we're both really busy), and it's really amazing for discussing politics (i just delete asshats and never added anyone racist or pro-life or anyone like that in the first place, i'm totally picky about my friends in there). and i love that i can stay in touch with ppk'ers without being on the ppk as much as i used to (because for me, the ppk is a much more serious time suck than facebook ever was!).
and i love that i can stay in touch with my favorite galleries, restaurants, museums etc. and ask them questions and tell them what i think etc. and when i travel and meet new people, or someone i know back here wants me to meet someone in berlin or paris, then i can just add them on Facebook!

but i use it as a tool to keep in touch with my entire network and to me it's the perfect platform. i am not the kind of person who separates my personal and my professional life, as my personal life sort of is the reason i have a professional life. maybe that will change someday, but then i'll take down the 5 inappropriate pictures and be done with it.

that being said, i know a lot of people who don't use it the same way as i do, and i think if it was just a way of staying in touch with my friends, i'd make a blog and stick to the phone!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 am 
Nailed to the V

smoothie wrote:
i am a total facebook hors d'oeuvre. i love that shiitake. where else can i procrastinate from school work while i check out if my exes are less successful than me at making their lives look rad?

haha!
I admit I'm addicted too. I waste tons of time but I still don't hate fb. It always helped me stay connected whenever I was far from my friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Every now and then I'll deactivate it for a day or a few to get other shiitake done, but that mostly happened when I was unemployed and would Facebook all day instead of cleaning the house or doing other productive things. I always had to remove the link from my bookmarks bar, or I'd sit back down at the computer and click on it automatically.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am 

I quit in Oct 2011, haven't looked back. I sometimes think about what old classmates are doing, and then remember that I don't care.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

To be honest I'm not not on facebook because it takes up time (why would i be on this forum then?) but because I don't want to support a shitty company like this. And whenever I mention this I get a "but you're just one person, lol" response. Yeah, if I lived by that motto I'd not be a vegan and environment-conscious etc etc at all

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am 
Not NOT A Furry

coldandsleepy wrote:
...I use it primarily to keep in touch with my family (who don't do email, and we are bad at the phone) and my local friends (who do use email). Beyond that, it seems to exist primarily to make me feel annoyed at people who I like but who need to be vocal online about their beliefs/politics/life choices etc in an unpleasant way.

THIS. And I feel awful to have less contact with my already far-away relatives, but I've resolved to just start calling them more.

I just need to get away from it. I'm gonna go postal if I read one more "Post this in your status for one hour in support of party-clowns suffering with ingrown toenails... I know who won't, and I hope you sociopaths burn in hell for it" or another "Keep calm and collect belly-button lint" meme.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu