| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I just deactivated my Facebook
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm on FB a lot. I use it mostly for events, but also to keep in touch with friends old and new and communicate with people that I'm not quite sure if I want them to have my phone number. I have chat turned off, blocked a ton of friends from my feed, and have a few layers of people (few people can see everything I post, and I'll friend people I don't know but they can't really see anything at all).

Without it, I'm sure I would miss tons of fun events though! Or have to rely on other people to remind me about them, tell me about them, or search for them on the internets myself which would take way more time.

I'm not sure how long I spend on FB... no more than a few minutes at a time, but probably 15-20 minutes a day total. I'm usually on while waiting for the subway or while my lunch heats up or any of those few minutes of time between things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Also, it became such a time suck. I'd find myself just kicking around the house with a BIG list of interesting things I COULD be doing, and checking FB every 5 minutes wondering "what's happening NOW?"

I managed to quit Farmville 2 years ago with only minor withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully this will go okay.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 am 
Impressive boner

I use it mainly as it's a great networking and promotion tool for musicians, which Myspace used to fulfill before it turned into a clunky browser-crashing nightmare. Perhaps new Myspace will turn out to be a simple to use networking space.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:37 am 
WRETCHED

I check FB maybe once per day. I have other time wasters that FB is the least of my worries.

I did have a friend unfriend me though because she only wants friends on FB that like her posts or comment on them. She has a lot of time though. I'm cool with that, I'm not really one that spends much time on FB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am 
Dead by dawn

I've never thought about quitting facebook, but I don't spend a ton of time on it. I don't really get the "time suck" bit... it takes me a few minutes to peruse my feed and then there's nothing much to keep me there. I've blocked a couple people's posts from showing up so I don't have to deal with asshattery, I have a bunch of awesome PPKers aand it's mostly all good. I also mostly fiddle-fart around on it during time when I can't be doing much else of import (waiting for the bus or whatnot.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am 
Grandfathered In

alice1drland wrote:
I quit in Oct 2011, haven't looked back. I sometimes think about what old classmates are doing, and then remember that I don't care.

I have a page (is that how you say that?), but there's nothing there but my email address. I have no facebook friends. I have never posted anything. It's just not for me.

I also don't care what people I went to junior high with are doing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've never had a FB account. I won't accept terms of service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i have friends who do performance-type things about town, and they wouldn't stop whining about how they always had to remember to send me a separate e-mail because i was the only curmudgeonly luddite not on facebook. i finally caved and joined last summer. i don't regret it, because it's useful for that purpose, but i can't really be bothered with it for much else (well, maybe some light stalking). i would have no facebook friends if people hadn't come after me, and i would be fine with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I successfully quit 1.5 years ago. You can do it!

For me, it was a quality of life deal. I didn't like how passive and voyeuristic I was becoming with my relationships -- I'd read friends' posts about their daily activities, but spend less time in direct, one-on-one contact with them (because I "knew what they were up to"). Also, I had a bad habit of looking up exes and such that did nothing but make me feel bad... and yet I did it anyway.

I do not miss it. I still spend plenty of time interacting with people on the internet in forums guided by mutual interests (PPK and others), which I find I prefer to the identity-tautology of FB interactions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
alice1drland wrote:
I quit in Oct 2011, haven't looked back. I sometimes think about what old classmates are doing, and then remember that I don't care.

I have a page (is that how you say that?), but there's nothing there but my email address. I have no facebook friends. I have never posted anything. It's just not for me.

I also don't care what people I went to junior high with are doing.

Yeah, this is me, footie. I got nagged into getting a page, basically added my family and a few close friends and that's it for me. I consider it a pain in the butt and another nagging obligation that I, personally, could do without. I check it once a week and that's ten minutes of my life I always want back. But I do understand that other folks get much out of it and social media is a popular form of communication for the young'uns and becoming more and more embedded in their culture and way of life but I'm not too interested in any part of it, myself. I'm still of the old, crumbling guard of parchment scrolls, fountain pens and coconut phones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

fezza wrote:
jerusha wrote:
I really only use it to see the newest pics of my niece and nephews, and my colleagues and I use it for discussing work stuff/switching shifts etc. All my friends are boring on facebook, so, maybe that's the trick. Only befriend people who whate posting stuff.

You need to get some PPKers on your list!

I love facebook, I'm selective who I add and will cull every now and again to get rid of anyone who doesn't seem to be interested/gets on my nerves. I think taking control of your friends list is vital to keeping your sanity on there.

If I had done this from the start, I would've been fine...but it's really difficult once the personal bleeds into the professional. Work friends on facebook weren't a problem, but I'd made many acquaintances who share in struggling through a competitive yet low-paying line of work. When I had to end a toxic friendship with someone who was friends with many of these people, I wasn't going to feed into any potential gossip by removing her. I also sure as hell wasn't going to keep her on my facebook. So, delete it is!

I just felt that mine had manifested into a form that allowed people to be far closer to my personal life than I was comfortable with.

But I miss you, fezza.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Hmmm..I like facebook. I have lots of friends that have moved, or live far away, or friends that are musicians. Lots of events to keep up with. My partner is a musician, and that is how we communicate to the world about his music and stuff. He has a private and a fan page, I help him admin the fan page. I also help other musicians I know promote their music. Events are VERY important!

That being said, I am very private on FB. All my friends I know. And they are pretty entertaining. If someone starts to say things that bother me, I hide thier posts, or I un-friend them.

I see a whole lot of people online right now (reddit, various forums I go on, etc) talking about how much they HATE facebook. Mostly women that are tired of seeing babies and weddings and stuff. (not exactly what you guys are saying in this thread)

I love looking at my friends babies, pets and wedding photos! Maybe I am the minority?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chicki wrote:
Hmmm..I like facebook. I have lots of friends that have moved, or live far away, or friends that are musicians. Lots of events to keep up with. My partner is a musician, and that is how we communicate to the world about his music and stuff. He has a private and a fan page, I help him admin the fan page. I also help other musicians I know promote their music. Events are VERY important!

That being said, I am very private on FB. All my friends I know. And they are pretty entertaining. If someone starts to say things that bother me, I hide thier posts, or I un-friend them.

I see a whole lot of people online right now (reddit, various forums I go on, etc) talking about how much they HATE facebook. Mostly women that are tired of seeing babies and weddings and stuff. (not exactly what you guys are saying in this thread)

I love looking at my friends babies, pets and wedding photos! Maybe I am the minority?

Certainly not! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i facebook alot. i am half and half with it. half of me likes i can share pics with other people and see what they're doing, etc and half of me wants to smash fb to oblivion becuase it's so annoying.

i feel like fb should be used for sharing pics and things and funny jokes/stories. the people who constantly bisque about everything via fb make me want to blow my brains out.

on the other end the people who do nothing but post inspirational quotes also make me wanna blow my brains out.

if my MIL keeps up the almost daily posting of sappy baby shiitake or "helpful parenting" tips on my wall my fb probably will get deleted.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't really understand the addiction to facebook. I've have several friends who told me they had to quit because it was consuming them. But really I think they were just constantly checking up on ex's.

Normally I check my feed a few times a day when I either have nothing else to do and I'm sitting on the couch watching tv or when I need a mental health break at work. I flip between PPK (like right now), facebook, pinterest, google reader, tumblr, and the news. Not all at one time, just randomly whatever I think will talk me down from the stress ledge I'm hanging onto. I also don't have a million friends or people I don't actually know in real life aside from PPKers on my facebook either. That keeps my newsfeed from getting cluttered up.

But I kind of think it's awesome for keeping in touch with family and friends that I don't have time to otherwise reach out to. And the companies, eateries, concert venues, and local stuff I like is good to have in my feed and always keeps me informed with stuff thats going on.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
i facebook alot. i am half and half with it. half of me likes i can share pics with other people and see what they're doing, etc and half of me wants to smash fb to oblivion becuase it's so annoying.

i feel like fb should be used for sharing pics and things and funny jokes/stories. the people who constantly bisque about everything via fb make me want to blow my brains out.

on the other end the people who do nothing but post inspirational quotes also make me wanna blow my brains out.

I'm with you on all that! I like to spam facebook with meaningless crepe. I get mixed reviews about what I post. People either log in to facebook to see what I have wrote or people HATE it so much that they delete me. Can't win with everyone. But for now I will keep posting meaningless crepe.

I did manage to delete my account for 3 months a year ago. I was nagged back on to it but what really got me back on was that I have friends and relations that live far away and facebook is great to keep up with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
I don't really understand the addiction to facebook. I've have several friends who told me they had to quit because it was consuming them. But really I think they were just constantly checking up on ex's.

Or spending too much time getting into political arguments and not leaving well enough alone...what, me? never.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Congrats on de-activating! I have done the same many times, but do keep a primary account active because I maintain several groups' pages throughout the year and like to answer questions in the Vida Vegan Con facebook group. I have a 'Closed for the Season' profile photo with a caption for folks to PLEASE EMAIL ME if they need to get in touch, and have the same on my profile about page, and can't even remember the last time I made a personal update. I rarely, rarely interact on it and one day, would like to delete this account and make a new one with zero friends to work on pages and whatnot, but I don't know if I care that much about ignoring the primary one. boring story even more boring, not interacting and reading facebook saves me so much time and when I do browse, it's a headache. It's really a shock how many people send me messages through there. I wish I could auto-reply...when I do manage to catch up to those that are relevant (and there have been many that are business related, which is crazy) I write back from my email account or give them my email information.
Regarding events, I receive SO MANY stupid event invites that I gave up and don't weed out the dumb ones from the few relevant ones, I'm sorry.
boring story even more boring, I remain relieved to be a non-frequent user.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

GraciaKai wrote:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Facebook doesn't have a negative impact on my life because I don't use it for anything negative? I don't spend a lot of time on it. I make silly Facebook statuses sometimes and I talk to one of my friends on Facebook chat a lot because she lives in Mexico so we can't really text and we don't always want to Skype and Google chat never works for her. Also I know when my friends are having parties. But I can't imagine spending a huge amount of time on it or it consuming me in any way. There's not that much going on in there. Most people's statuses are pretty boring and stuff. Like if it consumes your time are you just reading your newsfeed all the time?

Mostly I'm glad that it's easy to keep in touch with people I probably wouldn't have otherwise--I've moved so much and changed my number a lot but with Facebook it's easy to know when people are in town and hang out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:54 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Facebook is no more time consuming for me than having a phone or email account. It's my primary form of communication with a lot of my not-best-but-still-good friends. and I like posting pictures and seeing others' pictures. I hide anyone that posts lots of links, games, and conservative crepe, and also anyone who I'm not very close to and don't have much in common with so my feed is mostly just filled with good friends and PPKers. It's a magical land of unicorns and queers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I deactivated my account for five months, the only reason I fired it back up is because my BFF from Tennessee finally signed up and I do want to keep up with him.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

oh, FB has pretty much replaced (personal) email for me too. For instance, last year I planned a bachelorette party for a friend, and it was easier to just create an event on FB and do it all though there. Or if my fiancé is playing at a club or concert, or has a radio show or podcast, we create an event to invite friends and stuff. Or birthday parties etc. I can't even remember the last time I emailed someone on personal business....

Jeez, I am pointing out what I like about FB, which is kind of the opposite of what this thread was originally about.

Still, if you don't enjoy Facebook, by all means, deactivate! Why bother using it if you don't like it? Its supposed to be FUN after all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Chicki wrote:
oh, FB has pretty much replaced (personal) email for me too. For instance, last year I planned a bachelorette party for a friend, and it was easier to just create an event on FB and do it all though there. Or if my fiancé is playing at a club or concert, or has a radio show or podcast, we create an event to invite friends and stuff. Or birthday parties etc. I can't even remember the last time I emailed someone on personal business....

Yeah, aside from the fam's nagging, this is one reason I decided to open a FB account. I felt bad that my friends had to go to the trouble of e-mailing me pictures or information when they were all sharing it on FB and I was the only hold out. So that's really what I use it for. But as far as personal messaging goes, I still prefer e-mail because I just don't check my FB account enough to keep on top of any messages but most know to e-mail me if something's important but then I have that sense of guilt that if I just checked FB I'd be privy to stuff already. I'm terrible about responding to texts, too because I hardly ever check my texty phone. I just have enough stuff to check, already, I guess and FB is one more outlet for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I did quit last year, because it was eating my life. I wouldn't do my homework. I had to deactivate my netflix account too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm 

Chicki wrote:
Still, if you don't enjoy Facebook, by all means, deactivate! Why bother using it if you don't like it? Its supposed to be FUN after all.

My god, you would be completely floored by the amount of people who have talked to me like it's some kind of horrible drug that's impossible to quit. Countless times I am told, "Aaaah I wish I could do that!" or, "Oh, I would, but I should really have it for work." Really? You HAVE to have it for work? I'm in the entertainment industry and my world has not yet collapsed around me. In fact, since I left, I don't recall even within the past year ANY industry contacts chatting about friending one another on Facebook. They're called business cards. Or LinkedIn.

Anyway, it seems like most of the people who say they hate it and would love to quit can't seem to give up the stalking aspect of the whole thing or the 'missing out' feeling. I get it, because that's how I was with Facebook, too. That's most of the reason WHY I quit, since I didn't want to give myself to look down my nose at people I didn't think highly of anymore. And I hated spending a couple hours catching up on newsfeed posts of minutiae after being away from the Internet for a day or two. I still have Twitter and Instagram, which I look at every couple days or so.

You guys also realize you don't have to lose all your posted data if you decide to hard-quit (not just deactivate), right? I downloaded a zip of all my wall posts, messages and photos before I left for good.

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next