| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Vegan Skin Care
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

couroupita wrote:
I know there's a sunscreen thread but since this thread seems to be geared toward face products I'll ask it here:

Do you guys know of a vegan sunscreen comparable to the Neutrogena ultra sheer stuff? My dr. told me I must use spf 50 or greater and this is the only thing I've found that is comfortable for me (i.e., non greasy, light, goes on well under makeup/over moisturizer, unscented, doesn't irritate my skin). Most natural brands can't seem to get the formulation right...or maybe I just haven't found the right one yet. This is my last non-vegan cosmetic so I'd really like to make the switch!

For reference, here's the Neutrogena stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003901LEW

Have you tried Josie Maran's SPF 40? It's the best that I've found:

http://m.sephora.com/product/productDet ... Id=P261006

I think the protection is comparable to a SPF 50 and it doesn't make me break out like most sunblocks do. It smells like apricot, not a perfumey smell.

For anti aging I have just about talked myself into shelling out the big money for 37 Extreme Actives. The price is crazy but I am comforting myself by thinking that I don't have to buy additional serums, eye creams, etc. I was looking at Suki but once you add it up it is just about as expensive and the active ingredients aren't as good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 am 
WRETCHED

I don't think there is anything anyone could say to me to spend $300 on a moisturizer. I'm not into anti-aging stuff though and the closest I've come was 'perfect world' from Origins which I thought was great stuff when I used it but I haven't bought Origins for a while and I know many here won't. Overall, I think moisturizing and using sun protection is the best anti-aging practices and other stuff may cause small improvements/protection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

]http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/how-to-make-handmade-handlotion-w-label-download/[/url] I always use a whisk and whip the lotion when it's almost cool to get a nice consistency.

i use this recipe, too! i use aloe juice in place of water, with rosehip & grapeseed oil:) i love mountain rose herbs! coastal scents has good sales on supplies sometimes, too. iherb.com has many oils & clays...i make my own primer powder, and also body scrub from this site: http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/b ... -body.html

Mychelle and Derma E make great stuff, and Arcona has many vegan products. at Sephora, REN and Boscia are vegan. Ren has 1 or 2 products containing milk but thats it. Dr. Dennis Gross, Jack Black and Josie Maran have vegan products listed. There's also Dermadoctor and Peter Thomas Roth...PTR uses silk and carmine in a few products.

Last edited by sharky on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

um, I thought anti aging cremes didnt actually work..?

I only use unrefined coconut oil on my skin..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I second stellamarie's rec for the Josie Maran SPF40 day cream. That's what I use, and it's the first SPF lotion I've used that I can put makeup over and not feel like I'm wearing a cakey mask on my face.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 am 
WRETCHED

VeganinBerlin wrote:

Well it depends what you mean by 'work'. Some plump the skin to make wrinkles less noticeable but it is a short term effect. Others whiten the skin to make discolorations less visible. Some supposedly protect the skin from damage (anti-oxidants).

Coconut oil and my skin didn't mesh very well. I can use it on my body but not on my face.

And I was thinking about my grandma, who is nearly 90, despite having fairly light skin, she doesn't really have that many wrinkles. She also worked outside doing farm work when she was younger (practically birth to her 20s). She just uses cheap moisturizers.

I'm just hoping good genes work in my favor :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:50 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well, prescription retinoids like Retin-A, Tazorac, etc., have been proven (as I understand it) to work effectively for anti aging as they actually make the skin thicker and fill in wrinkles over time. the problem is that any prescription medicines in the US are tested on animals so there's that.

Commercial products, like over the counter retinol products and antioxidants, oils, etc., may help but, personally I believe that sun protection is the most important thing you can do for your skin. I am a fan of basic oils for cleansing and moisturizing. As I get older my skin is getting drier and I can't even use soapy cleansers without getting dry patches.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I kindof did the same thing. I recently turned 30, and I made a sort of resolution to myself to start taking better care of myself. A big part of that is skin.

I'm a big fan of Juice Beauty's stuff, all of which is vegan except for some of their lip stuff. I have the Alicia Silverstone chamomile stuff, which is great on my sensitive skin and I love the smell. It is a bit pricy, but if you get on their email list you can get some good deals. I got the facial cleanser and moisturizer for $36 total (normally, the moisturizer alone is $36) during one sale. Plus, you can do a search for coupon codes and get extra $ off. I also have the under-eye lotion and a mask.

Considering how little of each I need to use each time, I think it will be worth it. Plus, when I cleaned out my bathroom baskets, there were so many failed cleansers and moisturizers that either made me break out, didn't do the job, or that I just didn't like. I figure instead of paying $5-10 multiple times for stuff I end up not liking and won't keep using, I'll spend $36 a couple times a year on stuff I know I'll love.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

God. Changing my diet when I went vegan was pretty easy. So were the clothes. But I am having a bisque of a time finding good cosmetics and skin care.

Cosmetics and skin care products are some things that I will spend money on, although I am usually a cheapskate. I find cheap stuff really irritates my skin. I had terrible skin problems with acne when I hit puberty...at 8 years old. Multiple skin treatments have left me with sensitive skin.

Juice Beauty is another one I have heard great things about, and Alicia Silverstone's stuff as well. $36 for a cleaner and moisturizer sound ok to me. Especially if I only spend that 2X a year.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Let's keep em coming!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh! I forgot to mention Arbonne is a vegan, cruelty-free company too

https://www.arbonne.com/

They have skin care, and also supplements and protein powders and stuff.

I have heard good things, and also heard they are pricey, but the prices don't look that high to me, on-par with some of the other lines I am looking at right now. Like I said, I don't mind throwing down some $ on good quality stuff, as long is it is not out of this world expensive. Also, I have a friend that works there...discount maybe?

Does anyone have experiences with them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

So I wrote to philosophy on their FB page, and their response was that they are strictly against animal testing.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... nt&__req=j

I'd still use their stuff if that's the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Chicki wrote:
God. Changing my diet when I went vegan was pretty easy. So were the clothes. But I am having a bisque of a time finding good cosmetics and skin care.

This!!! So the story of my life the past 7 months.

I've been using Simple since going vegan but some people may not want to buy that since they are owned by unilever. I had opted for that because I was out of everything and newly vegan so researching was overwhelming, their products are easy to get where I live and I can actually afford them. I had tried Lavera facewash but my face got quite spotty on it. Since using all simple products the spots have decreased but they are still there and they tend to be big ugly boil like ones.

On the look-out for other options so will be keeping an eye on this thread!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm 
WRETCHED

paprikapapaya wrote:
So I wrote to philosophy on their FB page, and their response was that they are strictly against animal testing.

I think it is all about personal decision, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to buy Philosophy (or Origins or Aveda other brands that don't test but are owned by companies that do). I think we've had a lot of good discussions on this in the past and it can certainly be frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

missmuffcake wrote:
2 words: Clairsonic Mia! I <3 mine! I was doing the oil cleanse method for awhile, got bored with it. I am doing Lush's "Let the Good Times Roll" in the AM and the Whole Food's cetephil at night. My AM moisturizer is Murad and PM is strait up aragan oil after using the Alba sea toner. I use Acure eye cream usually but right now have eyelid eczema so it has switched...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking about buying a Clarisonic. Am I correct that you use the products you mentioned WITH the Mia? I don't wear makeup or get a lot of acne but I have either a) terrible blackheads or b) just really big yucky pores. I've found the Lush cleanser for oilier skin like Farmacy and Coalface work ok, but I'm a slacker and don't use moisturizer so winter weather gives me occasional dry patches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Audrey wrote:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm thinking about buying a Clarisonic. Am I correct that you use the products you mentioned WITH the Mia?

I use my own products because the Clairsonic cleanser sucks...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

paprikapapaya wrote:

This is good to know :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got a bath and body works spf 30 vitamin c moisturizer for Christmas that I like so far. I can't seem to find any other high spf vegan daily moisturizers. I've been using the witch hazel rose water toner and my pores definitely look smaller. At night I use the BWC maximum moisturizer and it is woooonderful.

Ugh my skin is just the worst. combination, splotchy coloring, dull.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

crowderpea wrote:
I kindof did the same thing. I recently turned 30, and I made a sort of resolution to myself to start taking better care of myself. A big part of that is skin.

This is neither here nor there, but I didn't realize we are the same age-ish! We should have a meet-up sometime.

I've been trying to be better about moisturizing lately. My skin used to be a lot oilier, but not so much these days. I guess it's more combination now. I'm using up some of the Trader Joe's face lotion now...the stuff that looks like an Oil of Olay bottle. I think I want to try something else when I'm done with this, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 am 
Baking In The Flavor

For those with acne issues (depending on how you feel about Aveda) their botanical kinetics exfoliant is excellent. It really clears out your pores without irritation. It is much more effective than an ordinary toner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the sunscreen rec! I'm going to head over to Sephora tomorrow to check out Josie Maran.

Chicki wrote:
Oh! I forgot to mention Arbonne is a vegan, cruelty-free company too

https://www.arbonne.com/

They have skin care, and also supplements and protein powders and stuff.

I have heard good things, and also heard they are pricey, but the prices don't look that high to me, on-par with some of the other lines I am looking at right now. Like I said, I don't mind throwing down some $ on good quality stuff, as long is it is not out of this world expensive. Also, I have a friend that works there...discount maybe?

Does anyone have experiences with them?

I looked into Arbonne a few years ago and got a ton of samples. I liked the body creams and the hair care stuff but I didn't love them. I was really looking for sunscreen but theirs are only SPF 20. I also tried their hydrating eye cream because I lay on my face weird at night and have deep creases in the AM, but it made my skin burn! I don't know what the deal was with that. My mom really liked their RE9 eye cream; I think that's supposed to be anti-aging though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tzippy wrote:
crowderpea wrote:

This is neither here nor there, but I didn't realize we are the same age-ish! We should have a meet-up sometime.

Yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen each other around at some point...

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I got a Clairsonic Mia 2 today with some Christmas money that I hadn't spent yet. I've only used it once, but I do feel like it did an exceptional job making my face feel clean and smooth, and my moisturizer soaked right in. First impressions are definitely very positive!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Well it depends what you mean by 'work'. Some plump the skin to make wrinkles less noticeable but it is a short term effect. Others whiten the skin to make discolorations less visible. Some supposedly protect the skin from damage (anti-oxidants).

Coconut oil and my skin didn't mesh very well. I can use it on my body but not on my face.

And I was thinking about my grandma, who is nearly 90, despite having fairly light skin, she doesn't really have that many wrinkles. She also worked outside doing farm work when she was younger (practically birth to her 20s). She just uses cheap moisturizers.

I'm just hoping good genes work in my favor :)

Bah, my genes arent that great. I have super light skin, freckles, everything. :/
yeah, i once read a study that the best thing you can do is use a good water/oil moisterizer that your skin can deal with. nothing fancy..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Nicole wrote:
I got a Clairsonic Mia 2 today with some Christmas money that I hadn't spent yet. I've only used it once, but I do feel like it did an exceptional job making my face feel clean and smooth, and my moisturizer soaked right in. First impressions are definitely very positive!

It is addicting!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am starting to think too that as long as you moisturize and clean it doesn't really matter what kind of skincare products you use, granted your skin has no issues with any products. I have easy skin, although dry. I have bought, and still do sometimes, expensive skincare products but have lately resorted to plain jojoba or calendula oil on face in the AM, then dab on some day cream, then liquid foundation. Makes my foundation go on very smoothly and I love the dewy rehydrated look and feel. Of course if your skin is oily this would be too much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next