| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: acupuncture and pregnancy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Can someone explain to me why some pregnant women go to an acupuncturist to get treated “for pregnancy?”
I have an acupuncturist that I love (2 actually!) and I used to go frequently for back pain and anxiety. I stopped when I got pregnant due to finances. It costs me $64 each treatment and that adds up fast.
Is it mainly for relaxation and to encourage blood flow?
I know people who are like imminently due go to help “move things along” but im at 23 weeks so I don’t need that. ;-)
Im just trying to figure out what exactly people go for as im thinking of maybe going once a month during the last trimester as people speak positively of it for pregnancy.

Tofulish? I think you may have been one of the people who saw an acupuncturist?

Post subject: Re: acupuncture and pregnancy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 am 
Semen Strong

My acu was amazing. At 8 weeks I started to spot, and I heard from my MD (reproductive endocrinologist) that there was nothing they could do to stop a threatened miscarriage. My acu treated me with a bunch of moxibustion and acu and the bleeding stopped. Can't be sure that that was the cause of course. I also got acu to stop morning sickness and I didn't have much nausea at all.

And then through the pregnancy, it was for relaxing, bloodflow and general health. My acu says that in Chinese medicine anything the mother has too much of goes into the baby - so anxiety will give you an anxious baby etc. And Leela has turned out to be an incredibly easy baby. Again, I haven't repeated the experiment (yet!) so I can't say if the two are related. My acu is also a nurse in the fertility space, so she'd feel the baby every time I went to see her and tell me how she was doing, which was great.

I will say that I had to trek into NYC from NJ (1.5 hours in so 3hrs RT), so the last month, I just couldn't do it. But I loved getting the treatments!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:22 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

awesome thanks.
i think i may go once a month for the first 2 months of the last trimester and maybe a few times the very last month depending on how things go.

i have anxiety problems so it certainly cant hurt to go have a relaxtion treatment and just good blood flow.

:-)
thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I see an acupuncturist whose specialty is women's health and fertility issues (which I don't have, but I liked that she was very knowledgeable about pregnancy). I started going when we wanted to conceive, went every week in my first trimester, infrequently in my second (on my acu's recommendation), and every two weeks in my third trimester until 37 weeks, when I went weekly. After 40 weeks I did treatments every couple of days to try to get me to go into labor.

I know I look like an acupuncture addict, and I probably am, honestly! But it was so incredibly helpful for me for so many different reasons. In addition to treating my seasonal allergies and anxiety, she treated my nausea, pregnancy-related sinus issues, pregnancy-related digestion issues and heartburn, pregnancy-related headaches, back and sciatic pain, the whole gamut. And she was such a calm and compassionate voice during my pregnancy with wonderful advice about herbs, diet, and gentle exercises for pregnancy. I don't think I would have made it though in one piece without her. And Sven is a calm baby too, so maybe that had something to do with it!

Also, I had a really good labor and it was fast! (six hours) I can't say for sure that acupuncture helped, but I'm willing to guess that it played a part. I also went back 5 days after delivery and I really feel like it helped regulate my emotions and even out the hormonal roller coaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it's so great to hear such positive experiences!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I went weekly until I hit 2nd trimester, then my acupuncturist told me I was good to go unless I had anything that started bothering me. I had zero morning sickness so who knows if it helped or not. I went in again around 20 weeks, and she told me to come back around 25-30 if I wanted to just for a check-in. She also mentioned she can teach mr. chiveggie acupressure points to help with labor pains, do treatments to help flip a breach baby, and do treatments to help prep me to end pregnancy starting around 36 weeks or so if I'm interested.

I never thought about post-partum acupuncture. That makes sense though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh so interesting mandycoot! I had a great labor- 8hours which was just enough time to have things not tear and have it not feel as much of a crazy emergency but a lot shorter than anyone else in my family has ever had. Easy and uneventful. Wonder if acu had anything to do with that?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Man, you guys are making me wish I weren't priced out of acupuncture -- I totally get why it's expensive and am not cross at them at all for charging that much, though. Is it worth going in for just one session? I noticed all the ones around Glasgow (another reason I can't get it -- too far away!) charge more for the first session.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

usually the first appt here is more expensive too. i think mine was around $90-$100 for my first appt and then $64 each time after. i guess that's not even the full price i get some sort of discount because of the type of health insurance i have even though i dont think she's ever asked to even see my insurance card.

they usually do a "full intake" on that first appt so they ask you 100 questions about your health and history and other things they want to know. they look at your tongue cause for some reason that is important in Chinese medicine and it's generally a longer appt cause after the 100 questions you also get a treatment.

i had to do the "first appt" twice. the first time i went initially and she was treating me for several back pain and my back was actually spasming. in the end my back was so messed up because my sleep apnea was so severe that my whole body was falling apart. i ended up having major surgery on my jaw in 2010 and took a hiatus for quite some time from acupuncture and then at some point earlier this year i emailed her asking if she treated people for anxiety/depression so when i went for that it was a new intake so i had to do the full appt again which i totally understood.

that's interesting Chiveggie, about flipping a breech baby, i hadnt thought of that. obviously it's not a concern right now but i am kinda worried in the back of my mind about that cause i feel like it's one of those things you dont have control over and then you HAVE to get a c-section. good to know i have a little secret in my back pocket if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 am 
Semen Strong

TCC, look around locally :) Prices can vary a lot.

We have acus near us that do sliding scale and people get treatments for around $30 which is so reasonable. The first session I did was about 2 hours long and cost $175 with every subsequent session being $90, but its so worth it for me. I think my acu is amazing and I have a lot of friends who have had similarly amazing experiences with her. The ones near me that are reasonable are really good too - I know one of the owners where I could get treatments for about $35. I just really love Youngja.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive also heard of "acupuncture clinics" here in the US where it's either sliding scale or i think some are like $15 per treatment but you get treated in a big room with other people in it.
not sure if they have those in other countries.

what week do you start your 3rd trimester? 28? i think i will wait til then to start going back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
TCC, look around locally :) Prices can vary a lot.

We have acus near us that do sliding scale and people get treatments for around $30 which is so reasonable. The first session I did was about 2 hours long and cost $175 with every subsequent session being $90, but its so worth it for me. I think my acu is amazing and I have a lot of friends who have had similarly amazing experiences with her. The ones near me that are reasonable are really good too - I know one of the owners where I could get treatments for about $35. I just really love Youngja.

Well, they all seem to be in Glasgow and cost £45+ for the first visit and £40 for subsequent visits, except for one place that costs £35. I'm not surprised there aren't any nearby because we are in a wee country village in the middle of nowhere (for real -- there are sheep and cows behind our neighbour's house and we are right on a big sea loch with a lovely view). Realistically, it's something I could totally afford once (is it worth it just for a one-off? I'll try it someday, at any rate), just not regularly. (Which is fine, please don't anybody think I'm all boo-hoo, pity me -- I'm not, I swear!) :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

We have an acupuncture clinic here that operates on a sliding scale. I've been a few times and it was nice, but you don't get the full experience -- you're clothed and in a LaZBoy, so you only get needles in your arms, legs/feet and head. You do get to sleep as long as you want though, which is great.

I don't know if acupuncture would be that effective as a one-off thing. Maybe? But honestly, if I had one appointment to do I'd probably get a massage or go to the chiropractor instead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 pm 
Semen Strong

The sleeping is the best part! There are two points where, when Youngja puts needles in, I just fall asleep almost immediately. Its hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm 

I know! Sometimes I think I'm just paying $60 for a nap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm 
Semen Strong

They are the best naps though! During my pregnancy, I was so tired, and I'd have a session and feel so much energy.

She also did wonders for my knees. Hmmm I guess I need to go see her again soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive never even come close to sleeping at an acupuncture appt :-(

my brain is wound so tightly i cant. :-(

i do feel good after though. i had cupping done a few times OHMANWASTHATGREAT. i dont think they probably want to do that on pregnant ladies though cause it kind felt like getting the tar beaten out of me.

im also not sure if acupuncture once would be worth it. especially if you have specific issues you want to treat. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
im also not sure if acupuncture once would be worth it. especially if you have specific issues you want to treat. :-/

I don't actually have anything I need to treat -- I just wanted to see what it was like!

mandycoot wrote:
I don't know if acupuncture would be that effective as a one-off thing. Maybe? But honestly, if I had one appointment to do I'd probably get a massage or go to the chiropractor instead.

Well, I guess acupuncture isn't for me, then. I was never sure if it was something you needed to do regularly or just now and then, so thanks for clearing that up. :D I'm not really a massage/chiro kind of girl -- nothing against it at all, just not my thing. (I have a friend who is a DO in the US and I get her to check me out when she comes to visit anyway -- she says my lower back is fabulous!)

I think Mr. Crabby would also be super crabby if he had to watch the kids for 6 hours while I paid £50 to go to Glasgow and take a nap! XD He is bad enough about me paying £20-ish for a haircut 3x a year (although it's only 3-hours round-trip)!