| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What's your morning routine?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Wake up 30-60 minutes before my alarm. Think "I should get up, I woke up naturally, I'll feel better." Go back to sleep. Wake up one minute before my alarm goes off feeling like absolute shiitake. Doze for 10 minutes until my second alarm goes off.

Get up, feed cat, put bread in toaster and turn kettle on.

Pee and poop if body is ready, usually not. Check email on smart phone while peeing.

Eat toast and drink tea while briefly catching up with the world via the internet.

Realize I've only given myself 15 minutes to get ready.

Get dressed, do my hair, make-up (about 40% of the time).

Put dishes in the dishwasher. Brush my teeth while getting lunch out of fridge and into bag.

Last minute things (coat, scarf, etc). Out the door between 835-840.

On the few days when I do get up when I wake up the first time (usually between 7 and 715) I just end up snuggling in bed and reading the internet until I'd be getting up normally so I have no more productive time in the morning.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

GraciaKai wrote:
You guys have time to fork around on the internet before going to work! Thats amazing to me. Im trying to change my routine as well cause I want to get up earlier and workout before I leave the house. Hasn't happened so far.

Well, I do while I'm eating breakfast. I know I shouldn't multitask while eating but I do anyway.
Also, forgot to mention: I start listening to music as soon as I get downstairs and keep it on until I leave. I keep it low so as to not disturb still-sleeping members of the household, but music is integral to my getting ready process.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

j-dub wrote:
Wake up 30-60 minutes before my alarm. Think "I should get up, I woke up naturally, I'll feel better." Go back to sleep. Wake up one minute before my alarm goes off feeling like absolute shiitake. Doze for 10 minutes until my second alarm goes off.

THIS! When will I figure out that if my body/brain are waking up naturally I should just get the hell out of bed. NEVER!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Chip Strong

The first thing I do is make coffee to put in a thermos for work. Then I shower, dress, make toast and leave for work, eating the toast while I walk to BART. I usually end up wasting at least some time on the internet, which I tell myself I'm just using to check the weather forecast, but it always turns into more than that. Soon it will be - get up, send out resumes, maybe exercise, waste time, hope I can still make rent, debate applying for a temp agency/ grad school/ a sugar daddy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

Get up, feed kitties, set up coffee maker, clean litters and sweep/take out accumulated garbage/recycling, etc. while coffee is brewing then get whatever writing piece I'm working on and work for about an hour , have breakfast, work for another hour to several hours (whatever time I can manage to put into it on any given day) and then usually have lunch and then start my paid work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My alarm goes off at 6.20, I get up, pee, put kettle on, take vitamins and make coffee. I take the coffee back to bed and listen to the news on the radio while I drink it. Then I wash, brush teeth, make breakfast, get lunchbox out of fridge and put in work bag with anything else I need for the day. I eat breakfast while I check the internet. I wake flatmate up at 7.20 (he drives me to work), brush my hair and put shoes/coat on, then we leave the house at 7.30.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I usually shower at night, so I get up at 7, wash face, get dressed, make tea, do some internet, then put on makeup and get my breakfast and lunch ready for work, then brush teeth last before leaving the house, before 8:15. I always eat my breakfast at work, usually oatmeal or leftovers heated up there in the microwave.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

GraciaKai wrote:
Or sometimes I read on the train but I get motion sickness so that is hit or miss.

lol..picturing you on the train as you're projectile vomiting at various targets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

On days I work, my alarm goes off at 8.20. I snooze once if I need to shower, thereby getting up at 8.30, otherwise I wait till 8.50 to get the rest done. Shower, do hair and make-up, brush teeth, get dressed. If my boyfriend's here, this is the point at which I wake him up (9.00) and go make breakfast and lunch if I have something. If I have a ride, we leave by 9.10, if I don't, I leave for the bus at 9.15. Get to work at 9.20, grab coffee across the street, have morning meeting at 9.30.
I've got it down to the minute. If I shower two minutes longer, I know I won't have time to make breakfast.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Jonny Guitar wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Or sometimes I read on the train but I get motion sickness so that is hit or miss.

lol..picturing you on the train as you're projectile vomiting at various targets.

That's one hell of a morning commute! I purposely hit the people who annoy me by hogging a seat, talking on their phones loudly, snoring/coughing, or listening to loud music on crappy headphones so I can hear every word of that horrid Lady Antebellum song.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive NEVER been a morning person. my morning routine is sooo sad.

here is mine:

6am: husband's alarm goes off, he hits snooze
6:15am: alarm goes off again, he turns on his light, i suppress the urge to stab him for turning on the light. instead i throw a blanket over my head and make grumpy noises about how i cant go with him to walk the dogs cause im too tired and my back is broken (this has only been since ive been pregnant, before i would get up begrundgingly and go, im probably milking this pregnancy thing a bit much)
7:15am: my husband starts to remind me that i do infact work for a living
7:30am: i realize, oh shiitake, i am still in bed but i need to leave for work in 10 mins.
i get up, brush toofs, pee, shower, and dress
7:45ish: jam food into a bag and hope it's enough for lunch and snacks.
7:47am: refill piggie hay and apologize to them that i dont have time to scoop their poops
7:50am: say goodbye to husband and dogs and tell dogs to be good boys and not destroy the house
7:50-7:55am: finally get my asparagus on the rode realizing that AGAIN i will be super late for work. since my hair is still sopping wet from my shower i jack up the heat in my car and use that to "blow dry" my hair
8am: decide i dont really care im going to be late for work.......again......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I get up about an hour (often hitting snooze a few times) before I have to leave the house. I usually get right into the shower and then sit on my bed on the internet or playing games on my phone in my towel until it's about 20 minutes before I have to go. Then I get dressed quickly, grab something for lunch, and run out the door.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My alarm goes off at 6:30 then I press snooze and get up around 6:50. I start boiling water for coffee and feed the cats. While my french press sits I brush my teeth and try to make my hair stick up less. I drink coffee while I get dressed, get my stuff together, sometimes go on the internet for a few minutes, and leave by 7:15.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm really bad about my morning routine so I'm also improving on mine this year. Here's what I'm trying:
7:00 - wake up, take time-sensitive pill and have a glass of water
7:05 - start water to brew coffee (in a bodum) and tea for my partner, start breakfast for everyone,
7:15 - eat
7:30 - dress/hair/etc (shower at night, usually)
(unless partner's lunch isn't packed, in which case that's done right before he leaves at whatever time he's working that day, and it trumps pretty much everything else on the list)
7:45 - do laundry/dishes, etc until Zephyr needs his first nap (about 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Before heading off to work I go to the gym so I wake up early (6am) and get everything done really quickly so I can run off to workout: brush teeth, pee, drink a big glass of water with vitamins, dress for work (night before packed gym clothes and clean underwear), put lunch in backpack, and eat a banana so I don't pass out at spin class.

Luckily my gym has really nice showers and they provide towels so I shower before leaving for work. I eat a more substantial breakfast at work with my morning coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm super regimented in my morning routine and have things timed to the minute (it's the German in me!), and I give myself heaps of time to deal with the inevitable dog-related messes or crisis that will arise. I also really hate being late (German!) so I try to manage the risk. So:

- First alarm at 5:30, snooze/sleepily check emails on my phone, get up when second alarm goes off at 5:40.
- Take dogs out to pee.
- Pee and shower (not at the same time!).
- Dry hair, take vitamins, brush teeth and check Facebook on my phone (sometimes all at once!).
- Make up. During this time I usually have to stop a few times to separate the dogs, who are total morning people and think that 6:15am is the perfect time for loud wrestling and knocking things over.
- Wrangle hair into something passable for the day.
- Get dressed/flail around the place in a general state of 'WHY DO I HAVE A MILLION ARTICLES OF CLOTHING BUT NONE OF THEM ARE RIGHT' distress. Attempt to make enough noise that Boyfriend gets out of bed.
- Pack gym clothes and other stuff for the day.
- Feed dogs.
- Make tofu scramble.
- Eat said tofu scramble, usually while PPK-ing.
- Wash dishes and head out the door at 7:45.

I also read or fork around on Instagram during my ten minute bus ride, then make coffee and read the news once I get to work. Most days there won't be any major issues for me to deal with first thing in the morning at work so I can take my time looking over the news and the media clips to see who's complaining about my Department today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

First alarm goes off at 6.10. I keep hitting the snooze button until about 6.45am. Thanks to meds I'm on it takes me a long time to wake up. First up is I pee. Then off downstairs, open door to leave the dog out, pop the kettle on, make pancakes, eat breakfast.
Then I head back upstairs, throw on a tracksuit and head out to walk the dog for 30mins. I'm usually back in home about 7.30 to 7.45 depending on what time I got out of bed.
Then I hop into the shower for a quick wash, do my facial skincare and get dressed. Next I fix my hair and put on my makeup.
Back down the stairs, put lunch in my bag. Usually the cat has appeared by this stage so I put food out for him and set the dog up with food and water outside. If I am organised at a reasonable time I do the washing up from breakfast and maybe wash a floor or tidy up. I leave at around 8.30.
It takes me about 15/20 mins to get to work so I have 10 mins to spare that I can pop into the supermarket to pick something up for dinner if there is an ingredient I need.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:15 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

It's fascinating reading abut everybody's morning routine - partly because I think I just take too damn long in the mornings! Mine usually goes as follows:

5.30 - 6 - my first alarm goes off, turn it off without even waking
6 - my other alarm goes off (I have to set one for every 15 mins or I'll turn it off instead of pressing snooze) and I finally get out of bed, turn my heater on and check emails on my phone
6.00-6.15 - brush my teeth, wash my face, pee, make a cup of tea (I shower and blow dry my hair at night otherwise I'd have no chance of leaving on time)
6.15-6.50 - do my makeup, drink tea, try to find a pair of tights that isn't all holey, iron my outfit, get dressed, and pack my bag (all done whilst listening to the world service on the radio)
6.50 - 7.00 - poop
7 - 7.15 - pack lunch, if I can be bothered (this step and the one above are usually sacrificed so I can spend more time in bed)
7.15 - walk to the train station

I really want to fit in time to eat breakfast and do yoga into that routine, but that'd probably mean waking up at 5ish, which sounds hideous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm 
Chard Martyr

I wake up stupidly early and peas around on the internet and cuddle my cat and sometimes my boyfriend if he isn't grumpy because it's like 4:30. Then I get exhausted around 6 and fall asleep dangerously because I don't always wake up in time (7:30) to get ready and get to work.

So don't do what I do. But the kitty snuggles are kind of worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

To make workday mornings go faster I eat breakfast at work while checking the news online there. My school's parking lot doesn't have enough spaces for all the staff, so if you get there late it is a pain to find street parking.

1. wake up when my alarm goes off at 6, sit in bed while listening to a song or two
2. shower
3. dry hair while watching the news on closed captioning
4. dress and leave for work by 7 so I can get a parking spot
5. eat breakfast and check email at work before doing actual work stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I set three alarms starting at 6:00. Eventually get out of bed around 6:20. Shower, get dressed, eat breakfast. Out the door at 7:25 to be at work by 8:00.

If I get my shiitake together enough to go running in the morning (doing C25K right now), I get up at 5:00 and do that straight out of bed. Then proceed with the rest of the routine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't have an alarm and it only takes me about 15 minutes to get ready for work, so there's not much of a routine. I just wake up, put the dogs outside, grab some clean clothes and go into the bathroom to pee, change clothes, and brush my teeth and hair. Then I let the dogs back in, grab my coat and go. I have a bagel every day for breakfast and I eat it at work. I always shower after I get home from work, so I never have to bother in the morning. Pretty boring routine, but there's no big hassle, so I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Luckily the earliest I ever have to be at work is 10:30 A.M, and that's pretty rare, so my mornings are usually pretty relaxed. Wake up, lie in bed anywhere from five to thirtyish minutes before actually getting up, then. . . pee; feed cat; chug a glass of water and take multivitamin; make coffee; drink coffee while watching the news or stuff on Netflix; make breakfast (almost always oatmeal); eat breakfast while watching news or stuff on Netflix. . . then get on with whatever my day consists of.

If I have to be at work at 10:30, I usually drink the coffee at work (even though it sucks) and pack a Clif bar or granola bar or something to eat for breakfast at work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i do a lot in the morning, but i'm a total morning person.
- hit snooze once
- scoop kitteh boxes, feed kittehs, refresh their water
- wake up the sleepybeepy dog & take her out for an early morning walk
- feed the uber adorable dog mentioned above and play with her for a bit
- take a shower
- make breakfast & eat whilst internet'n
- start laundry/fold clothes/vacuum the house/dust/put away dishwashed dishes/do some other small household chore if i have time before work
- make my hair look half decent, get dressed (i usually take julie for a walk in my bathrobe. it's too early for the neighbors to actually be awake. trust me.), brush teefs, etc.
- head out to work (if i am not working out/practicing yoga i get up 3 hours before i have to be at work. if i am yoga-ing or working out i get up about 4-5 hours before work)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My schedule is really simple -- get up, turn on kettle, wash face/brush teeth, throw on clothes, put on a little makeup (which now takes about 5 min because I'm lazy), brush hair. Then I get my tea steeping and while it goes I take the dog out for a quick walk around the block. Then I dog-proof the house (which usually involves making sure there's no chocolate around at doggie-level), grab fruit or a muffin or make a quick smoothie, grab my tea and I'm out the door. I like to eat breakfast and drink my tea in the car since I'm always stuck in 30-60 min of commuter traffic anyways. I'd say it takes me about 30-40 min from the time I get up till the time I'm out the door.

I don't have a set hour to get in by so I shouldn't really be in a rush but I always am! It never occurred to me to make time to read or play on the computer before I have to go in. I like to do that at night and sleep in to the last possible minute in the morning.