| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow, Vegan Nightmares is a *series* of books. That's so weird!

And the one-star review by some crasshole is not helping. I didn't like that kind of rhetoric about medical costs before, and since I started studying nursing I like it less and less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Softsoap liquid soap. It's everywhere. My mom's house, restaurant bathrooms, and the lunch room at work. I always used it in those places until I read the ingredients for the first time recently when the flavor was called something like Milk & Honey, leading me to wonder if it had those things in it. It did! So I started reading the ingredients on other flavors and there are ones that have GELATIN! What the fizzle. Now I wonder about liquid soap in unlabeled wall dispensers too. I'm not one to use hand sanitizer but I don't know what else to do other than carry around my own soap, which is clearly a pain in the asparagus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

Peeve of the day: the 1qt things of Silk coffee creamer, original soymilk, and nog look almost exactly the same from afar (red and white package). Or when squinting and grabbing at things in the morning.

And when you need coffee you don't want to accidentally pour nog in it (I know it sounds good, but I've tried it and it's not that good. Even regular soymilk makes my coffee a little less awesome than the creamer.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

missmuffcake wrote:

Ooo, it's part of a series.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 am 
Chard Martyr

Those punk rawk vegan cheeses cost $13.99 for a tiny pot. Come ON.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annak wrote:
Peeve of the day: the 1qt things of Silk coffee creamer, original soymilk, and nog look almost exactly the same from afar (red and white package). Or when squinting and grabbing at things in the morning.

And when you need coffee you don't want to accidentally pour nog in it (I know it sounds good, but I've tried it and it's not that good. Even regular soymilk makes my coffee a little less awesome than the creamer.)

I agree on not liking the nog in coffee. I know people get eggnog lattes, and I just do not get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Dave the Cat wrote:
Softsoap liquid soap. It's everywhere. My mom's house, restaurant bathrooms, and the lunch room at work. I always used it in those places until I read the ingredients for the first time recently when the flavor was called something like Milk & Honey, leading me to wonder if it had those things in it. It did! So I started reading the ingredients on other flavors and there are ones that have GELATIN! What the fizzle. Now I wonder about liquid soap in unlabeled wall dispensers too. I'm not one to use hand sanitizer but I don't know what else to do other than carry around my own soap, which is clearly a pain in the asparagus.

I...just use the public and likely not vegan soap. I work with kids so it's mandatory for me to wash my hands multiple times during my shift.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I feel like carrying around my own hand soap to use would be not very practical. So I don't worry about whether or not the hand soap in the public restroom is vegan. I'd rather wash my hands and not get e. coli or the flu.

Avoiding animal products as far as is practical and possible. You can drive yourself absolutely insane if you're not careful. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 am 

Yeah, I'm not worried to the point of not using the public soap, but I can't bring myself to use the one that I KNOW has gelatin. Why is that an ingredient in soap anyway? It doesn't seem like it would help with the cleaning process.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Dave the Cat wrote:
I always used it in those places until I read the ingredients for the first time recently when the flavor was called something like Milk & Honey, leading me to wonder if it had those things in it.

My peeve is when someone calls a scent a flavor, you do not eat hand soap/body wash/perfume...there is no taste. Sorry.

I carry around my own hand soap in a mini reusable bottle and hand sanitizer. My boyfriend also has has a small bottle of soap at work and a bottle of hand sanitizer. I do not know what is in the pink liquid goo in the bathroom dispensers so I will not put it on my hands.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Dave the Cat wrote:
Yeah, I'm not worried to the point of not using the public soap, but I can't bring myself to use the one that I KNOW has gelatin. Why is that an ingredient in soap anyway? It doesn't seem like it would help with the cleaning process.

i bought the chamomile ecover dish soap once because the store was out of the fragrance i usually buy (lemongrass something something), and halfway through the bottle i noticed that it contained milk (the other one doesn't). so bummed.

you could carry around a small piece of hard soap in a matchbox. i would squee inside if i saw someone with that in a public restroom.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

missmuffcake wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:
I always used it in those places until I read the ingredients for the first time recently when the flavor was called something like Milk & Honey, leading me to wonder if it had those things in it.

My peeve is when someone calls a scent a flavor, you do not eat hand soap/body wash/perfume...there is no taste. Sorry.

I have a very strong sense of smell, so when I smell something like scented hand soap I can taste it as well. I think it's funny to call scents flavours - no difference in my world :-)

I went into Lush a few days ago and instead of my usual mad dash to grab some henna and get the hell out of there, I stopped to look at some of the products. I was there for about ten minutes total and for the rest of the day I could taste the perfumes (probably attached to my clothes).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
WRETCHED

I just go with it in terms of public restrooms. But that is me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 pm 

Quote:

I am smiling at this because when I was typing my original peeve I didn't think "flavor" was exactly right but I couldn't think of the right word. Thanks for helping me out!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
I just go with it in terms of public restrooms. But that is me.

this is how i feel about it. ive never thought about the veganness of public soap.

actually i never thought of the veganness of my hand soap at home now that i think about it.
i know my dish soap, dishwasher soap, and laundry soap is all cruelty free and i *think* vegan (7th generation?) but my hand soap comes from a giant bottle i got ages ago. maybe i should wash my hands more.

id rather use potentially non-vegan public soap than carry around hand sanitizer. i have a pet peeve with hand sanitizer. not only am i allergic to it (this becomes a problem on a cruise ship which luckily isnt an every day problem, nor i guess a "real" problem) but i'm not on the "everything must be anti-bacterial" bandwagon. give me some soap and water and im good with basic hygiene. maybe im a dirty skank i dunno.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Most hand sanitizer gels won't kill certain pathogens like norovirus anyway. Handwashing with soap is a better way to make sure you don't walk around with that stuff on your hands infecting others (not just yourself). My skin seems to hate most soap found in public, but I use it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't worry about soap in public restrooms. At work we have whatever the building provides in the bathrooms and Method and Seventh Gen stuff in the kitchen. I ride the bus so I always wash my hands in the kitchen when I first get to work (I'm not generally a germophobe, but public transportation is like an incubator for that stuff!) But if I have to use the restroom, I just use whatever's there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, I also use the soap in public restrooms and at work. I deal with the general public and handle cash all day long, and washing my hands regularly has become routine. I carry hand sanitizer with me but I only use that when I don't have access to regular soap and water (like in the train, or in a park).

It only recently occurred to me that the hand sanitizer itself might not be vegan. I have the store brand of a local drug store (Etos) which I know doesn't test, but I have no idea if all the ingredients (e.g. glycerin) are vegan.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have two that have been annoying me.

The first is an ex-vegan who talks about how expensive being vegan is, not to mention that they find it to be inconvenient and boring. They went on to compare oatmeal to eggs which doesn't make any sense to me. The example they gave was that the amount of oatmeal it took to properly fill them up was outrageously expensive compared to eating two eggs and toast which left them satisfied until lunch. Hmm, maybe you needed more protein in your diet? Then they bragged about eating kraft mac n' cheese for dinner every night because it's good and sooooooo cheap! This is a person who was an ethical vegan for over 15 years!

The second pet peeve is going to a vegan dessert place that doesn't label anything as vegan with an ex-vegetarian who said that because they don't label everything as vegan it is false advertising. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Dave the Cat wrote:
Now I wonder about liquid soap in unlabeled wall dispensers too. I'm not one to use hand sanitizer but I don't know what else to do other than carry around my own soap, which is clearly a pain in the asparagus.

It may still be vegan. In my last job I was the person who ordered the supplies, including the bathroom supplies. Before re-ordering the massive jug of hand soap, I contacted the company that manufactured it and asked about the ingredients. I was shocked, but it didn't contain animal by-products. I was expecting it to at least contain glycerine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I do not understand how some vegan restaurants have non-vegan soap and cleaning supplies in the bathroom...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

tenderoni wrote:
The first is an ex-vegan who talks about how expensive being vegan is, not to mention that they find it to be inconvenient and boring. They went on to compare oatmeal to eggs which doesn't make any sense to me. The example they gave was that the amount of oatmeal it took to properly fill them up was outrageously expensive compared to eating two eggs and toast which left them satisfied until lunch. Hmm, maybe you needed more protein in your diet? Then they bragged about eating kraft mac n' cheese for dinner every night because it's good and sooooooo cheap! This is a person who was an ethical vegan for over 15 years!

This just baffles me. How can you go from being an ethical vegan for 15 years and then just stop giving a shiitake? Did they decide that they just don’t care about animals after all?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Maggie Muggins wrote:
This just baffles me. How can you go from being an ethical vegan for 15 years and then just stop giving a shiitake? Did they decide that they just don’t care about animals after all?

I know! I didn't ask questions because I find this person to be somewhat annoying and ultimately it is their choice that they have to justify when they are fully aware of the consequences. Ironically this person was a stereotypical preachy vegan that turned many people off including myself for some time to the joys of veganism. I personally see it as a fad for them that has gone out of style and using the excuse of expense and nutrition is an easy out. (By the way this person has a lot of resources available to them so I'm not just being a judgmental prick when I use the term excuse.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I found these gems in my French textbook today:

Est-ce que vous êtes végétarien(ne)? C’est très bon pour la santé, mais n’oubliez pas de manger des protéines!
Translation: Are you vegetarian? It is very good for your health, but don't forget to eat protein!

Les végétariens mangent des oranges, des carottes et de la salade. Ils mangent peut-être du poisson, mais ils ne mangent jamais de boeuf.
Translation: Vegetarians eat oranges, carrots and salad. Perhaps they eat fish, but they never eat beef.

Way to perpetuate stereotypes, silly textbook.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:21 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Non, mais franchement! *rolls eyes*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

Reply to topic  [ 10584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 424  Next