| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the Iced Apple Squares and they are SO good!! I cut the oil to 3/4 c and added 1/4 water. I know others have said they're sweet enough without the icing but I went for it. I will be making these again and soon!

I also made the Mongolian BBQ and was surprised at how much I liked it. They're not my typical flavors at all, but I am trying to expand my food choices. I was sad that the color of mine didn't look like the picture in the book, but I will assume it's the brand of hoisin sauce (I used 365).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

So far I've made the Fettuccine Alfredo, Moo Shu Vegetables, and Tempeh Piccata. All were delicious. For the moo shu vegetables, I broiled the tofu with the soy sauce and oil for about twenty minutes instead of cooking it on the stove.

The cashew cream sauce from the fettuccine recipe is also good in a lasagna. I made one with zucchini, bell peppers and spinach, then sprinkled some hemp seeds on top.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 am 
WRETCHED

I hate you all. I'm trying not to buy cookbooks then someone goes and posts a picture of the Mongolian BBQ seitan. My husband is starting to say something about my cookbook collection but I'll just have to make a bunch of stuff and hope he quiets down :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

masuphl wrote:
I made the Iced Apple Squares and they are SO good!! I cut the oil to 3/4 c and added 1/4 water. I know others have said they're sweet enough without the icing but I went for it. I will be making these again and soon!

Ohhh...and I just realized a couple of apples in my crisper might not be crisp enough for a straight up snack and I thought to myself...."I think Chloe has an apple cake recipe..." Good to know someone's tried it and liked it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It arrived yesterday and is waiting in the post office for me. I didn't get home in time today to pick it up. Roll on tomorrow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive yet to find a "bad" recipe in this book. everything is so tasty!! it's very quickly become my 2nd favorite vegan cookbook (AFR is #1).

in addition to the things ive already mentioned i made the scalloped potatoes, the saag aloo, the wasabi noodle veggie salad thing (cant remember what it's called), and the avocado toast.

the saag aloo (aloo saag?) was super easy. i did end up putting soy sauce on it (i know weird) but overall it was very good. the only thing i would do differently next time is not turn the pan up so high and then put the veggies in first BEFORE i pour in the cashew cream. last night i just dumped the cashew cream in a super hot pan and while it didnt exactly burn it started to look like semi burnt egg whites! for some reason i was able to salvage it though.

the avocado toast is *ok* its not like a big blockbuster OMG appetizer but i had an avocado that was going to go rotten if we didnt do something and all we had was wheat bread so we made it wtih that. it was good but not stupendous.

i love the wasabi veggie noodle salad. have made it twice now. the second time i just made the noodles and dressing and threw a bunch of random vegs in rather than following the recipe.
so good!

i hear she has a dessert book coming out next. not sure if i will get it. i probably dont need any more dessert books or to be eating more desserts ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

seitanicverses wrote:
masuphl wrote:

Ohhh...and I just realized a couple of apples in my crisper might not be crisp enough for a straight up snack and I thought to myself...."I think Chloe has an apple cake recipe..." Good to know someone's tried it and liked it!

Uh oh - I have 3 apples in my crisper right now. Dare I make it again so soon?? I was thinking of trying it in mini muffin form because the edges of the cake were the best part

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
i hear she has a dessert book coming out next. not sure if i will get it. i probably dont need any more dessert books or to be eating more desserts ;-)

I don't know if I'll be able to resist. I've loved all of her recipes so much so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

masuphl wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
masuphl wrote:

Uh oh - I have 3 apples in my crisper right now. Dare I make it again so soon?? I was thinking of trying it in mini muffin form because the edges of the cake were the best part

I haven't made it yet, but it's in the weekend plan!

I don't think I'm interested in a solely dessert book but I'd love to look at it, of course, and try a few recipes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

masuphl wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I don't know if I'll be able to resist. I've loved all of her recipes so much so far.

Already pre-ordered :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
I hate you all. I'm trying not to buy cookbooks then someone goes and posts a picture of the Mongolian BBQ seitan.

this book sucks. i totally hate it. everything is gross. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone made the Buckeyes? I don't remember seeing any comments about them in this thread. I started making them from her recipe but I could tell that the consistency wasn't right, so I changed it over to a different recipe. I had never made them before, but with her recipe there was no way they would form into balls. The only mistake I could've made is not letting the pb be at room temp. It's such a ridiculously simple recipe, how could it go wrong?? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 am 
WRETCHED

There seems to be a lot of pasta recipes but I'm not the biggest pasta fan. I'm going to attempt the lasagna, second time in my life I've made lasagna. First time was testing for AFR and I wasn't a fan of that lasagna recipe. My husband likes it though, it's his birthday this week and he told me that growing up, lasagna was his birthday meal. I couldn't find no boil noodles though so I'll be pre cooking, hopefully I don't screw it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:10 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

masuphl wrote:
Has anyone made the Buckeyes? I don't remember seeing any comments about them in this thread. I started making them from her recipe but I could tell that the consistency wasn't right, so I changed it over to a different recipe. I had never made them before, but with her recipe there was no way they would form into balls. The only mistake I could've made is not letting the pb be at room temp. It's such a ridiculously simple recipe, how could it go wrong?? :)

Maybe it's to do with natural vs other PBs. I know I used a PB that was 90% peanuts once when a recipe called for natural and it didn't work because of the vegetable oil that is added to regular PB.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:29 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

linanil wrote:
I hate you all. I'm trying not to buy cookbooks then someone goes and posts a picture of the Mongolian BBQ seitan. My husband is starting to say something about my cookbook collection but I'll just have to make a bunch of stuff and hope he quiets down :)

Get a Kindle (or another e-reader) and download your cookbooks books. Saves trees, paper, space in your home, costs less and is private. Only you and the bookstore know of your purchase....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Veglicious wrote:
masuphl wrote:

Maybe it's to do with natural vs other PBs. I know I used a PB that was 90% peanuts once when a recipe called for natural and it didn't work because of the vegetable oil that is added to regular PB.

What??? Wow. The only peanut butter I ever buy is 100% peanuts. I didn't have any idea that it came any other way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 am 
WRETCHED

In the US, standard peanut butter comes with added sugar and oil. Although I've had consistency differences even among 'natural' peanut butters. For instance, Trader Joe's regular natural peanut butter is extremely fluid while their organic natural peanut butter is a lot thicker. I have no idea, same ingredients, not sure why the difference in consistency.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have made them using 100% peanut butter and they came out nice. Not as pretty as the pictures but they worked. My local store has a peanut grinder that will make peanut butter fresh and in whatever quantity you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the sweet and sour sauce for a stirfry. I put a tad too much ketchup in, but it was really delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:50 pm 
WRETCHED

Has anyone made the lasagna? I made her marinara and it seems like it isn't a lot of sauce. I'm a bit concerned but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

linanil wrote:
Has anyone made the lasagna? I made her marinara and it seems like it isn't a lot of sauce. I'm a bit concerned but we'll see.

YES! and on multiple occasions. Everytime came out perfect :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:59 pm 
WRETCHED

bree wrote:
linanil wrote:

YES! and on multiple occasions. Everytime came out perfect :)

Did the sauce seem skimpy and it was still ok? That is my primary concern.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I thought it was fine, but my husband did say he would want more- I guess he's saucier than I, so maybe you should do 1 1/2 batch just in case?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the straw and hay pasta last night with just plain linguine since my grocery store didnt have any spinach and with white button mushrooms since the only shiitake mushrooms they had were dried and $4.99 for .5 oz (the recipe calls for 6 oz).
despite these subs it was still really tasty and we ate all of it. i think asparagus would taste really good in it too.

tonight i made the coconut rice with caribbean veggies and plantains. it was really involved to make so im glad i made it on a weekend. it needed 4 pots and the food processor. it was really good though and we ate all of it between the two of it. i liked it with a little bit of red hot sprinkled over it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Just ordered this! I've been avoiding it for so long, I sooo don't need another cookbook! But I needed something else in my Amazon order. Excited!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next