| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wanna buy some molecular gastronomy ingredients?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

For some reason, a few months ago I thought I'd get into molecular gastronomy stuff so I bought a bunch of gums and things from http://www.willpowder.net/
Now I realize that I'm really not very interested in actually doing this. Here's what I have

Iota Carrageenan (3oz)
Kappa Carrageenan (3oz) (the main thickener/gelling agent in Artisan Vegan Cheese recipes)
Sodium Alginate (3oz) (sodium alginate is an ingredient in Vegg, which I wanted to try making myself)
Calcium Chloride (3.5 oz) (used for spherification and you can apparently make egg shaped spheres with this stuff and vegg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpXdmJXddI)
VersaWhip (1.5 oz) (can be used to make vegan foams and marshmallows. Julie Hasson has a recipe for vegan whipped cream with it, which I experimented with trying to stabilize, but didn't have much luck. I didn't try marshmallows though!

the kappa carrageenan is half full. The iota has only had a teaspoon taken out of it. the versa whip has had a tablespoon taken out of it.

So, anyway, it'd be awesome if someone wanted to buy the lot! If you don't want the guar gum, the shipping will probably be less

It cost me around $45 total (without shipping), but you could have it all for $22 + shipping. the box is pretty small, so i'm guessing it won't be too expensive.

I could also throw in an 8oz bag of bob's red mill guar gum that's been opened, but maybe only a tsp has been used if you wanted it.

Basically, I've just realized I don't love to experiment with food, so if there's someone who is interested in trying out some wacky experiments, this could be fun!

Post subject: Re: wanna buy some molecular gastronomy ingredients?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 am 
ugh

I'm definitely interested! PMing you now.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: wanna buy some molecular gastronomy ingredients?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

cool! it's yours! I pmed you back