| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I just deactivated my Facebook
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's not that I didn't enjoy FB, but I was checking it at every available moment out of boredom... further facilitated by my iPhone.

And I promise I wasn't checking on ex's. I don't have any ex's. And my husband's ex GF is happily married and a friend of mine now, so...

I have been meaning to deactivate for years, and friends have persuaded me to stay active (apparently I'm delightfully clever and people look forward to my status updates declaring my desire to seek revenge on that bisque of a leg-curl machine after every face-off at the gym... whatever).

I guess I just feel it pulling me away from real-time interactions with people. Or maybe it's a symptom. I dunno. Anyway, I'm trying to break away from it to become more present as a friend.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Upside: I'm already more active on the PPK this week than I have been in years!

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I believe in you! You can do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I guess I just feel it pulling me away from real-time interactions with people.

I prefer this! I have no time for real life interactions. There are a few friends I spend time with when we can actually schedule it. But other than that I never see anyone, I never call anyone, I never email anyone. If I didn't have facebook they would think I'm dead. And I don't even post status updates EVER! Just the fact that they know I'm there is good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

AlwaysHungry wrote:
It's not that I didn't enjoy FB, but I was checking it at every available moment out of boredom... further facilitated by my iPhone.

And I promise I wasn't checking on ex's. I don't have any ex's. And my husband's ex GF is happily married and a friend of mine now, so...

I have been meaning to deactivate for years, and friends have persuaded me to stay active (apparently I'm delightfully clever and people look forward to my status updates declaring my desire to seek revenge on that bisque of a leg-curl machine after every face-off at the gym... whatever).

I guess I just feel it pulling me away from real-time interactions with people. Or maybe it's a symptom. I dunno. Anyway, I'm trying to break away from it to become more present as a friend.

This is exactly how I feel. I dont ever feel like tv rots my brain, but ever since I got a smart phone I feel like facebook sucks away my life. i like keeping in touch with people through it and i'd miss out on parties/events if i canceled it, but it really takes away from me doing other things like reading.

This thread is inspiring me to pick a crochet project for myself since I know I need something to keep my hands busy when I watch tv, and I'd much rather it be a crochet project than looking at my phone.

good on you for getting rid of facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ijustdiedinside wrote:
This is exactly how I feel. I dont ever feel like tv rots my brain, but ever since I got a smart phone I feel like facebook sucks away my life.

i have noticed lately that the few local friends of mine who have gotten iphones recently (they don't have full functionality in Brazil yet) are, contrary to what the smart phone is supposed to allow, unable to respond to things on time, can never find emails or documents sent to them, can't seem to find the notes that they laboriously pecked into their phones during meetings and have to be rebriefed, and generally take a whole lot more maintenance for almost everything from organizing parties to working together.
These are people who used to be pretty much together, so I wonder if it is just distraction? sheer coincidence? i tell you, they mock me for not using (or wanting) and iphone, and for using a paper calendar, but i show up to things on time and never, never, ever "don't get the email".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 am 

not to totally derail the thread, but I find that since i've had a smart phone, i check my email as soon as I get one, but if it requires a long response or attachments or something, i wait till i can be on the computerto respond, which sometimes leads to forgetting to respond because the email is no longer new. i really try to star all the emails that i need to reply to, but sometimes i fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ijustdiedinside wrote:
not to totally derail the thread, but I find that since i've had a smart phone, i check my email as soon as I get one, but if it requires a long response or attachments or something, i wait till i can be on the computerto respond, which sometimes leads to forgetting to respond because the email is no longer new. i really try to star all the emails that i need to reply to, but sometimes i fail.

Yup and yup. Which is why my typical reply to an email is "I'm at work, so I can't reply right now. If you don't hear from my by tomorrow, call my cell." Which is never on and doesn't have voicemail. *sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

VeganinBerlin wrote:
jojo wrote:
I haven't quit but I have never signed up! You can do it!

Ditto

i signed up and then deleted my account all within an hour a few years ago so ditto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

When I actually think about it, I am much more addicted to this forum and reddit than I am FB. I guess strangers are more interesting than the people I know IRL

That will probably change when I start my new job soon. I will actually have work to do. Bout time!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My soon to be ex-MIL just started a fb account. If there was ever a sign from the heavens to tell me to get of fb...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, just wanted to throw in that not having a facebook app on my smartphone = the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jdfunks wrote:
Oh, just wanted to throw in that not having a facebook app on my smartphone = the best.

I was wondering if you can just delete the app from your phone or not. I know my droid came with it pre-installed and that was fine for me. But there's no rule that says you have to set it up or use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 pm 
WRETCHED

what is wrong with the app? I have one on my phone. I don't really use it much (maybe once a week, maybe).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:
what is wrong with the app? I have one on my phone. I don't really use it much (maybe once a week, maybe).

Nothing, except people were saying that having a smartphone and the app is addictive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm 

yeah, you can delete the app. i've tried it, but then i get bored on the bus or something and re-download it. it's existence is problematic for me, especially since I've been out of work. It just melts my brain. I'm on PPK more than facebook, but I feel like I'm having actual social interaction here and participating in some meaningful (and a lot of non meaningful but at least entertaining) discussions. Facebook is just like...brainless drivel!

as you can see, I have a serious love/hate relationship with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I'm on PPK more than facebook, but I feel like I'm having actual social interaction here and participating in some meaningful (and a lot of non meaningful but at least entertaining) discussions.

seriously, PPKers are the only reason i'm still on FB! you people keep me sane.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, if anyone told me I'd have to deactivate the PPK, now that would be a whole different story. I love youse guys!!!! Not that I don't love the folks on my FB, but like someone said upthread, I seem to have more in common with PPKers than FB folks or I just got engaged here more readily and get whatever FB type interaction I need in my life, I get from this place, so there's really no place for FB in my life, other than sparing some loved ones the trouble of e-mailing me pictures 'n stuff. The only reason I don't like FB is because I never engaged in it, never gave it a chance, but if I engaged in it, I'd probably like it because I could trend it towards my interests. But why do I need to do that when I have this place? PPK came first. You guys complete me. Internetally.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

[also, if i deactivated facebook how would all my creepy exes and crushes and weird old roomates with crushes find me??]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I find forums much more engaging than FB. FB is fun for pics and events and stuff.

Hell, I met my partner of 10 years on a messageboard. When young 'ens ask me where we met (think teenagers) we tell them "An online messageboard" blank stare "A forum?" Blank stare. "Like facebook, but more talking" Light bulb.

(I never suggest reddit to teenagers. Parents would kill me)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am going several months strong!

It was just a time suck. I actually talk to my sister MORE now and I hate their business practices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

torque wrote:
[also, if i deactivated facebook how would all my creepy exes and crushes and weird old roomates with crushes find me??]

Torque, I always loved you! I know I appeared to totally ignore you at times and others to completely ridicule you in public, but I loved you! (This happened to me. He even said, "let me know if you aren't married anymore.")

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

i love fb as, to me, it's just an extension of the ppk. I wouldn't bother about it otherwise, but I can get up to all sorts of shenanigans fun times!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Sra. Nooch wrote:
torque wrote:

Torque, I always loved you! I know I appeared to totally ignore you at times and others to completely ridicule you in public, but I loved you! (This happened to me. He even said, "let me know if you aren't married anymore.")

I swear to Boba Fett, I got a message yesterday that said "I keep getting these promotions from Starbucks featuring Vanilla Blonde coffee, and all i could think of was if you still wear vanilla perfume." i shiitake you not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think we're ripe for a group hug... FEEL THE LOOOOOOOVE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next