| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sweet dreams (advice/questions about kid sleep)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh yes, well I was really fond of The Snail and The Whale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Haha, so true!

Tofulish, do you ever start her naps in bed? Grey doesn't transition well either, if he falls asleep in the car I usually have to drive out on the country roads (can't stop, he will wake up) until he wakes up. I am really good now at making sure we are home for nap time so he can sleep in his bed. I also think this has made going to bed much, much better. Of course, you don't have the same sleep issues we have!

I don't know how long leela naps now, but grey usually naps for 1.5-2 hours or more, there is no ay I could carry him that long in a carrier. Again, if I stop walking he would wake up anyway and he is nearly 30 pounds...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I try so hard to get a nap started in bed, but she nurses, giggles and then jumps off the bed and runs away. Its hilarious and the opposite of sleep-inducing. I got her down 2x in the carrier for an hour a time (10 am and 4 pm). She woke up at 7 am, so its sort of in line with the 2-3-4 rule Ariann talked about. I think we're going to have dinner and aim to have her down again by 8pm.

Yesterday she had one 30 minute nap and fell asleep at 7 in our NYE chickpea cutlets. She stayed asleep until 6 am and then nursed for an hour before waking up at 7:30, so that was quite nice.

If I regularly have her go down for naps, then perhaps the bed will become an option. I really do feel bad for how insanely tired she gets. Go to sleep baby!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I was sad when I read that book thread. I haven't read any books all the way through this year except for kiddie books and the other books I read parts of were for work. I think I actually read nothing for pleasure at all this year.

So now I am stuck in the car for the second time today taken hostage by a nap. God dammit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my God, getting Malka to sleep in her own room is The Worst.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I will definitely say that Grey used to be so much more adaptable, he would sleep in the carrier or the car so much easier, now he fights it and only gets a good nap in bed. That is the main reason I push it so hard with him.

It's really amazing that he likes going to bed now. He likes the routine and we leave the room while he is still awake and he just goes to sleep. It is really nice for me and for Nate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

she's asleep!!!!!!!!

So many tears.

So looking forward to directly touching my husband during sleep and now just with my feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Heh. I look forward to this sort of reunion too. Not that baby feet kicking Mr in the chest isn't nice and all....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This new room training experience is really not going very well. This kid is determined not to stay in that bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck! It took us until 10pm to get L down, so maybe there is something in the stars that is turning toddlers stroppier than usual.

I tried working on her nap so hard. She was exhausted at 10 am so I closed the blinds, put her in bed, nursed her, read to her - nada. Put her in a carry and she drifted off, transitioned and she woke up. Tried getting her down again at 11 and nothing, so finally I just put her in my KP and took her for an hour long dogwalk. She napped the minute I put her in. And then she had a car nap from 5 to 6. The holy grail of bed naps are not happening for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Something about the stars, definitely! My little one (6 mo) is having the absolute worst time going to sleep. I absolutely cannot get him to bed without giving him the boob, and it takes at least three tries - and after the mess of Christmas week, with so many visits and excitement, it's now taking like three hours to get him to sleep. He's so tired, but just cries without the boob. It's awful! It snuck right up on us - he used to nurse, then he'd be done, and after that he would go to sleep. Now it's boob to sleep. Ugh! He also hates naps. I have No Cry Sleep Solution waiting for me at the library, and the Nap one I already own, so I'm going to do some reading, I guess. When he's sleeping... at like midnight. It seriously sucks. He is crying right now. :( Poor babies. I wish they could all sleep happily for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine is having success with this: http://holisticbabysleepsystem.com/

"The program consists of 12 acupressure points that are stimulated using a noninvasive technique over a 24-hour period. What makes this program unique is that it is not a behavioral modification method. This program works to balance the physiological sleep response by stimulating points that "set the body clock". And, once the method has improved sleep habits, the points can then be used in different combinations to address common childhood illnesses. It is a system that can be used over and over during your child’s life for a variety of purposes!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I hear that tonight's adventures in sleeping ended well enough, but playing with her bedroom door has become a major distraction at bedtime. When we put her down we leave the door slightly ajar - tonight she came to the door, pushed it shut, stood behind it giggling, my husband opened it, and they repeated the game for awhile. Still, she was asleep by 10:15. So, definite improvement. We're down to 45 minutes getting her to sleep after the bedtime routine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Handling bedtime alone. I may kill her. I give up. fork it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh! I am so sorry! Do you think its the dreaded 18 month sleep regression? Or just that life is too much fun?

We had a long and awesome playdate and L was tuckered out. My friend and I talked about life and ate and drank coffee and our children just went wild. I really need her to get that tired every day....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

She just won't settle, lots of tears. I put her back in bed like a hundred times and I was just getting really, really angry and stopped trusting myself. I am now allowing her to run wild like a drunk toddler. I am still kind of angry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh I am sorry. We don't have a nice winddown routine any more - just let her run until she wants to go to bed. Yay parenting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I just googled the 18 month thing!! Never heard of that before. I thought it was interesting because we already went through that bit of teething, where there was definitely all-night nursing for a while, and now we are getting the defiance stuff separately.

*hugs* Ariann, I hope things improve for you. We have one of those nights every week or so and they're so tough. Everything is tougher with my husband gone right now but I'm ever so slightly relieved that it's much easier to stay on "our schedule" and avoid having her nap skipped entirely, or her getting really wound up in the evening when he comes home. It's so tough because when Vi gets enough sleep she is the sweetest kid ever, but when she's tired it's like wrestling a bear. The same thing happens with food, she'll get to a point where she has a hunger meltdown after not communicating that she wants food and then she just flails and throws things everywhere. Had both combine and come to a head today when I tried to get her out for our morning stroller walk->nap and ended up with zucchini-banana mush squeezed out all over BOB. When I finally wrestled her into the seat after cleaning her, me, and BOB off, she screamed halfway down the block and was asleep in <5 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Spent an hour ignoring her mayhem, my husband just got home and is wrestling her now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
When I finally wrestled her into the seat after cleaning her, me, and BOB off, she screamed halfway down the block and was asleep in <5 minutes.

Oh annak, I know that feeling! Yesterday as mothergroup was ending, I knew it was time for a nap, but it was all too exciting for tiny wu. Tucked her into the wrap shrieking, while paranoidly imagining all the other mothers thinking, "geez, why doesn't she just use a pram like everyone else?" Made it to the bottom of the stairs and silence. End of the block and she was out cold.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had to put both the kids to bed myself last night -- usually Mr. Crabby gets B to sleep for me (or at least prepped for sleep), while I boob R (who only does "boobie sleep" these days and still sleeps with me), but Mr. Crabby was out hiking, so I decided to be crazy and lie down with one kid on either side of me. B would not stop talking at first (the endless 'I love you's are darling, but not quite as much after the 1000th time they rouse R) and B finally agreed to whisper in exchange for some boob after R fell asleep.
Finally, R falls asleep and B wants boob (he's nursed maybe twice since he turned 4) and is just hanging out with my nipple in his mouth (I guess he's forgotten how to nurse). "There isn't any milk!" He is shocked. So I squirt a little in his mouth, "that's delicious!" and then he finally starts to settle down and fall asleep. Except upstairs guy paces all around the room above us ("the man upstairs is walking all around!!!" says B) before using his new elliptical, which is apparently placed RIGHT OVER OUR HEADS. B was convinced it was the sound of rain until I explained the upstairs guy was exercising. It took probably close to an hour in total, but I managed to not fall asleep (lying next to warm, sleeping kids in the dark of winter is dangerous if you are trying to stay awake!) and had a little while to myself before Mr. Crabby came home.

I am not the greatest at sleeping (except when I'm pregnant and could sleep 10+ hours straight every night) and life is exciting and fun, so I understand why neither of my kids want to go to sleep, but I wish it were easier. My SIL can just put at least one of her kids in his room and he will read himself a story and turn out the light and go to sleep until 7am!!

At least now we are at the point where both of the kids usually stay asleep once they're out. (R still wakes up maybe once if he is in the living room and the lights are on (that is where we usually sleep in the winter because it's the warmest room; thank goodness for Japanese futons, I can put them anywhere), but you could throw a party in the same room as B once he is out and he usually won't notice.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow. So, uh, how do you not get angry at toddlers who are pushing your buttons when you're exhausted and won't just forking lay down and go to sleep after three hours of trying? Because I was at my wits' end last night and then when she woke up this morning and came to find me in the shower (instead of going to her father who was still asleep) and tried to get me to get out of the shower and tend to her, I was still kind of irritated with her. I made myself give her extra hugs on the couch before I had to go to work, but there was still a lingering grudge going on. How can I chill out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
Wow. So, uh, how do you not get angry at toddlers who are pushing your buttons when you're exhausted and won't just forking lay down and go to sleep after three hours of trying? Because I was at my wits' end last night and then when she woke up this morning and came to find me in the shower (instead of going to her father who was still asleep) and tried to get me to get out of the shower and tend to her, I was still kind of irritated with her. I made myself give her extra hugs on the couch before I had to go to work, but there was still a lingering grudge going on. How can I chill out?

Girl, I have totally been there! A few weeks ago, Raygold would not fall asleep for hours (he fell asleep on the bus home, which means boobie sleep has no power over him) and I just crawled into bed with him and fell asleep and ignored him (he was still in bed with me, not running around -- we are on Japanese futons, so no chance of him falling) because I was at my wit's end. I was all, "Okay, Raygold, I give up. I'm going to sleep. You just lie down when you're ready to join me." Not sure when he did fall asleep, but my husband was in the room at the time and said R was fiddling around in bed for ages.

It is tough sometimes! My kids always go to me, rather than Mr. Crabby, for just about everything (it makes sense -- I'm cuter, nicer, and I have boobs). The only way I have ever been able to chill out is to do yoga (even if it's challenging yoga and not relaxing yoga), but that means my husband has to watch the kids or they have to be asleep. ;p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I sometimes do um, inappropriate, lyrics to the lullabies when we're singing (thought I'm going to have to cut that out now, I think, as she's older).

Thankfully, though Freya cannot seem to stay asleep well at all, she's generally willing to try and go to sleep.

Is Malka tired and just wound up when she won't sleep?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hard to say if she's tired usually. I mean, she'll rub her eyes occasionally, but it's harder now to tell between her general wackiness and the overtired drunk behavior, because she has become pretty wacky in general - just way high energy, constant running and silly play.

This time, though, I do think she was tired, because I picked her up from my husband at the gym (she was in the childcare area and was already being completely crazy - she just completely flipped out when I made her stop climbing on all the baby stuff and go) and she fell asleep on the car ride home. I read books and sang for about 45 minutes as a prelude to the total breakdown and I couldn't get her to sit with me in bed except for maybe 5 minutes of it (actually she wanted to sit on my head, because no other position was close enough to the book, I guess) - she wanted to explore everything in the room, play with the random toys that were out, rock the glider, etc. Giving her a bed she can get out of was maybe a mistake, but I don't think there's any going back at this point. She's way too old to start in a crib for the first time and she can climb off of pretty much anything.

And I didn't know about that 18 month sleep regression. That is cruel and wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next