| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: baby shower ideas that are not lame
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I like the idea of a blessing way where everyone brings a bead and the mom wears a necklace/bracelet during labor. For my shower, I wanted everyone to get a pice of ribbon and tie it around their wrists. We were supposed to make a circle with the ribbon and then everyone would wear their ribbon bracelet until the little one was born. That didn't happen though because I was in charge of bringing the ribbon (because I have tons) and I forgot it in my frenzy to get there. I'm sure if you Google it, you can find a more eloquently worded description. I haven't had coffee yet. lol...

My second favorite shower idea is a Library Theme. The invitations are little library tags and everyone is asked to bring a book to help build the baby's library. It's a great one because books can be really inexpensive and there's all types of fun ways that one can decorate with a book theme. And, yes, I'm one of those corny people who loves themed stuff and I frequently throw themed parties for my kids' birthdays.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

For my shower, my sister had people draw on little squares for a quilt like this: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Pro ... duct=15908

The theme was jungle animals and it is hanging in the baby's room. It's a cute memory. It is a cheap idea too, though it will probably only last a year or so. But that's plenty for a baby shower thing, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
I have to throw my sister a baby shower in a few weeks and she loves all the lame, cheesy stuff. And my brother's super cheesy fiance is helping me. I'm tempted to link to her pinterest to prove my point. This is going to be torture!

Haha. Their stuff shows up in my feed on the Pinterest app (not sure why - maybe it's a shared board or something?). You have my sympathies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

can i just say what a relief it is that since it's my second baby, no one will be holding a baby shower for me?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

littlebird wrote:
can i just say what a relief it is that since it's my second baby, no one will be holding a baby shower for me?

I was lucky that nobody would dare hold a real baby shower for me even the first time around - it's not something that is done in my family (eastern european jewish superstition thing) and most of my friends share that custom. I didn't think I would like the blessing circle, but it was actually really special and I wouldn't mind doing it again for another baby. My SIL who was due around the same time and whose family is Christian felt really badly for me that I didn't have a shower.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Pinko wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I have to throw my sister a baby shower in a few weeks and she loves all the lame, cheesy stuff. And my brother's super cheesy fiance is helping me. I'm tempted to link to her pinterest to prove my point. This is going to be torture!

Haha. Their stuff shows up in my feed on the Pinterest app (not sure why - maybe it's a shared board or something?). You have my sympathies.

Agh! Yep, a shared board. I hope people don't think that crepe is coming from me. I just can't even. I don't know. You should've seen the zebra print/hot pink stuff I vetoed right off the bat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My sister and I are hosting a shower for our SIL in a few weeks. It's going to be at a city park, so I don't think we'll decorate much. As for games, I think we'll do guess the cost of baby necessities and how many ??? will she open. My sister did those at my shower and they were a simple enough way to hand out some prizes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I reeeeally want to throw my sister a shower for her second baby, but she says people don't do showers after the first. Is that true? I've been to two showers that weren't for a firstborn. Little backstory: her first is a boy, and she wanted the shower's theme to be "Sports". So we had a football shaped cake, and she bought decorations with little balls all over (I don't know why she bought her own decorations, I guess she thought we wouldn't?) and we had sub sandwiches. Now she says she only wants a shower if it's a girl, which I can only imagine means she'll want a tea party or something crazy feminine. Actually a princess party doesn't sound too bad, but anyways.

I thought it would be super fun to have a "Reading Rainbow" theme, with rainbow decorations and cake and little bowls of skittles everywhere. And then for gifts everyone can bring a children's book, which are so so cheap, or chick lit for my sis to read while she's nursing. She has all the bottles and other baby stuff already. And for activity I thought I would write a little story on some cardstock and each person can illustrate a page, and then I'll bind them together and she'll have a homemade book! Oh and as favors I'd give everyone some "nerdy" glasses for photo ops. Having way too much fun with this idea....hope she goes for it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Abelskiver, that sounds great! Some people have showers for every baby, some just for the first, depends on the crowd I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, that sounds awesome! And books are great! I've always thought it was a bit sad not to have showers for all your kids. Bringing a new little human into the world is definitely worth celebrating!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I used to think people had showers for every baby. I have been to work showers for not-first-borns. My mom said you don't do showers for second (third, fourth, etc) babies. I dunno, I think a shower for them is better than none. Maybe they would get smaller gifts? I dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Abelskiver wrote:
So I reeeeally want to throw my sister a shower for her second baby, but she says people don't do showers after the first. Is that true? I've been to two showers that weren't for a firstborn. Little backstory: her first is a boy, and she wanted the shower's theme to be "Sports". So we had a football shaped cake, and she bought decorations with little balls all over (I don't know why she bought her own decorations, I guess she thought we wouldn't?) and we had sub sandwiches. Now she says she only wants a shower if it's a girl, which I can only imagine means she'll want a tea party or something crazy feminine. Actually a princess party doesn't sound too bad, but anyways.

I thought it would be super fun to have a "Reading Rainbow" theme, with rainbow decorations and cake and little bowls of skittles everywhere. And then for gifts everyone can bring a children's book, which are so so cheap, or chick lit for my sis to read while she's nursing. She has all the bottles and other baby stuff already. And for activity I thought I would write a little story on some cardstock and each person can illustrate a page, and then I'll bind them together and she'll have a homemade book! Oh and as favors I'd give everyone some "nerdy" glasses for photo ops. Having way too much fun with this idea....hope she goes for it!

Some people get really heated up about it, but it just depends on your family and friends. I had showers for all three of my kids, but there was a gap (6 years between 1st and 2nd, and 6 years between 2nd and 3rd) and my first was a boy. There are people who went to all three of my showers.... eek! BUT, even if I had said no, my friends/family still would have purchased gifts and still would have wanted to find a way to celebrate.

If she's not on board, you could always do a "meet the baby" party after she's born where gifts are optional.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

huh. i haven't really heard of doing showers for second babies. i don't think i belong to a really big shower crowd anyway though. my shower for tzipi was pretty lame, haha (it totally wasn't, but it was really small and casual and we didn't end up having it until after she was born), we certainly didn't get much in the way of baby gifts.

i will probably organize a "meet the baby" party for our local friends sometime after new bb is born. if people want to bring us something, that's cool, but i really don't need anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that the common reasoning I've heard behind the idea that only the first time mom gets the shower is the idea is that a first time mom "needs" starter stuff, but a second, third etc shower is just a gift-grab. And I think that it is really easy to avoid, in that you make it about celebrating the mom and baby - even if you make gifts optional or have a smaller registry, because you already have so much.

I think women who manage to be pregnant with other kids to run after are rockstars and we should all celebrate them :) Man, I slept so much while pregnant, no way I could do that now.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My sister and I are also planning to set out various baby pictures and the guests will try to pick the mom and dad. It's been fun going through pictures to find neutral baby pics, and it won't be an "okay, it's time to play a game"-game... we can just let guests play as they wish.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Such a good idea for a game! At my stepsister's wedding they did a "learn more about your fellow guests" quiz, which was superfun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

when my best friend's twin sister was pregnant with her second baby my friend threw her a "sprinkle"
i think they still needed some stuff but i think they also recognized that usually you only do a shower for the first baby. but my friend really still wanted to do one so she did.

i think if people would get all up in arms that someone had a second shower then they just shouldnt go! if you really want to do it then i say go for it :-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ugh. So apparently it’s time for me to think about my own baby shower. My mom and my aunt are planning it and im really scared about the whole thing. I kind of get the feeling it doesn’t really matter what I say or want at this point. No one expected me to have kids and im the only daughter in my family so I think my mom has gone a little insane with the idea she actually gets to plan a baby shower.
Every shower type event ive ever been to (wedding or baby) has mainly been at someone’s house. There are some snacky foods and it’s very laid back. I have been to 1-2 at a rented hall type place like a Knights of Columbus or church parish type place.
Apparently my mom wants to have my shower at some like function place like you would have a wedding reception. So the couple ideas she’s had included the place I actually had my wedding (a very nice New England country inn where we got married in the garden), a similar place where people get married, and a COUNTRY CLUB. I know no one on ppk knows me in real life but the idea of me at a country club is highly laughable. I told my mom I felt really uncomfortable having people go some place where they have to PAY for their meal and then also bring presents and my mom says she is going to pay for the whole thing. They do a charge per plate and she will pay for it. she said something like $10/plate but looking at the couple places she suggested it seems more like $20/plate. We do not come from money. We are not poor either but we are not $20/plate function type people. We are potluck everyone brings something and share type people.
Has anyone had their shower at a place like this? was it weird? Im just weirded out by the idea! It feels way more fancy than I am. Maybe I am over thinking it.
I feel like my mom is all like “ermagherd my daughter is having a baby let’s have a big fancy party! AHHH” and im all like “omg where is a rock I can hide under?!?!”

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I dunno, free party? Free gifts? Why not. But yeah, that's crazy fancy and I've never been to a shower at somewhere that fancy. Hope it all works out okay for you!

I got roped into helping with my brothers fiance's baby shower. She's really picky and has crazy social anxiety and is being a pain about the whole thing. She's also been shopping for baby stuff for a year before she even got pregnant so she doesn't even need anything. But she wants a shower, but it has to be only this food, this place, this game only, blah blah blah. I can't even hande it. I decided I'd make cupcakes (which she won't eat due to no eggs in them) and Ill help decorate and clean up and that's that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

$10 or $20 a plate for a catered event doesn't sound crazy to me. I planned a friend's shower at a restaurant and it basically meant paying restaurant prices (so, like $10-ish for entrees, it was BYOB and we did brunch with mimosas and bloody marys that we passed around in pitchers), but the nice thing about genuine catered events is that restaurants tend to be more set up to stagger the food so things can be very sloooooow for a large party.

Some in between places to look at might be tea houses or private restaurant rooms.. My bridal shower was at a tea house and it was awesome. A private room that was just the right size for ~20 people, finger food, and tea for drinks (my sister also brought mimosas, Chicago is great about places being BYOB because it's so hard to get a liquor license). I don't know how much it cost them, but it's the kind of thing you could probably scale well. I think she brought in a cake from a vegan baker - don't remember which one though, it's been so long.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im just really getting the feeling it doesnt matter what i want and im going to be subjected to whatever they decide is the "right" thing to do.
part of me doesnt care because like you said free food, free presents, who am i to complain?? but since it's for me id rather not be completely miserable the entire time.

i also have to wonder what i will eat. i know my mom will tell them i am vegan but im pretty sure im going to end up with pasta primavera which i absolutely hate. i think i need to discuss the pasta primavera thing with her. im sure i will get no dessert.

the whole thing is just lame. i hate to sound like a whiny cow who doesnt appreciate someone throwing them a fancy party but im just so tired of people trying to cram me into this box of what i am supposed to be like, act like, feel like. it's been like that my whole life but has gotten 100000x worse since ive been pregnant.

it's highly possible im just the grumpiest/crankiest pregnant lady and i just need to chill the fork out. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Lisa is there a restaurant you like that has a private room? Depending how many people are coming, that may be an option. I've never been to a catered baby shower myself but have been to a couple where they were put in a private area of a restaurant.

I'm a very casual type as well, my wedding reception was even at a local Italian restaurant, no private party or room or anything. It was great though. I think you might want to check out your own options though before its too late (or maybe it is already too late).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

She better make sure you eat well and have dessert! That's non negotiable. If it's for you, that should be priority!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

there are no vegan or really any vegan-friendly restaurants around me that would interest me enough to have a party there. i think my mom is looking for places kind of around the area where they live which is where most of my relatives live and im fairly certain there is nothing around there.

i totally agree that i should be well fed! the meal is a deal breaker for me. im NOT eating pasta primavera. it is like the lamest copout veg dish. the last time i had a pasta primavera that i was assured was vegan (work xmas party last month) after eating it for awhile im pretty sure it had butter on it.

i think dessert however will have to be a compromise unless we bring our own. i dont think there are any bakeries around here that will make vegan stuff so it will probably be up to me to make it. my mom would make it for me no problem but no offense to her she is neither a baker nor a chef. if i want something yummy i will have to make it myself ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my mom sent me an email last night assuring me her biggest question for wherever we have it is the food. both her and my aunt who is helping her plan went vegetarian about a yearish ago so i think they have a better understanding of what it's like to have to look for food while you are "out" (though i think vegetarian eating out is way easier!)

i think i was being really grumpy because she sent me a cranky email over reacting to something i said (she had knee surgery recently and then had kidney stones so she's cranky!)

i told her i think the whole fancy function hall thing was not necessary and overly fancy but if that's what she wanted then that was cool and she says she knows it's fancy but she really wants to do something nice for this and claims it will be fun in the end.

so yesterday i may have been just being cranky (as usual) :-P
i still think it's way overly fancy for the likes of me but whatever......
id be happy wearing jeans and a t-shirt at a whole in the wall place eating a tofu burrito.....

the place we had our wedding at served me an amazing vegetarian dinner for the wedding. i swear i thought the chef there was a vegan chef but im not sure how much sense that makes since he also was cooking up chicken and steak, etc and does all their meals there. of course that was 7.5 years ago soooooo no idea if that dude is still there.

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next