| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doom and gloom in the world of books
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

strawberryrock wrote:
I get so sad when people say there are no independent bookstores in their towns. I can't imagine living without them at all.

Me too. Indie book shops are my reprieve from a sometimes alienating world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 am 
A Bad Person

linanil wrote:
Normally, I'm the one yelling and screaming about technology but I'd say both are different but there are definitely certain aspects about ebooks on a kindle (or an eink reader in general) that I like. Beyond the things I've mentioned, I'll never lose my place. I'll never misplace my book (as long as I know where my kindle is at). I can easy stop reading one book, go read another book, then start reading my book at the exact same place I stopped. I can make my font as big or as small as I want (this is less an issue for me but I think a lot of older people buy them for this feature).

I know why we would mourn the diminishment of the paper book but I'm here to say viva el ebook!

I also find ebooks much better for reference materials than paper books. I don't mark up textbooks because I have no intentions on keeping 95% of them, so if I need to find something, I'm stuck flipping back and forth and re-reading a lot to find the specific passage I want. Simple search on an ebook eliminates that.

(Nevermind that I never buy textbooks as ebooks because they're largely a scam. If I pirate an e-textbook, it's super useful. Someday textbook publishers will figure out a system that doesn't actively promote e-textbook piracy.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I know! Buy the textbook for $130, and sell it later for $70-80, or RENT the ebook (with loads of device and print restrictions) for one semester for $60? Yeah, I'll pass on that.