| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New vanilla spice latte at starbucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fee wrote:
I think they're just catering to tastes. I know a bunch of omnis who love soymilk, but only if it's that very vanilla stuff. So that's how they think soymilk tastes. Don't blame it, I hate the shiitake, but yeah..people like sweet stuff.

This is spot on. Starbucks has to cater to a really sweet taste. The peppermint mocha? If you get a grande, it has 2 ounces of syrups. GROSS. So 2 oz syrup, 2 oz espresso, room for about 2 oz whipped cream (in the standard beverage), so only 10 oz of milk to balance all the sugar and flavour. I can't even fathom drinking that, because it's SOOOO sweet, but as a barista, I had tons of customers who thought it was fantastic. Or asked for extra syrup. To each their own, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got one of these vanilla spice lattes this morning.
i thought it was just ok. in all fairness im not sure im a latte person. i could definitely taste the cardamom. if i got it again i might just do a regular vanilla latte. usually i just stick to the peppermint mocha. they had a dark cherry mocha for one summer once that was amazing and then they never had it again. that was pre-gan so i dont know if it was vegan but i want it back!!!

i did not watch to see what kind of soymilk they used because i was too busy trying to bore holes into the back of the lady in front of me's head with my laser eyes since she was wearing a dead animal on her head, but i am probably one of those people who they cater to with the sweet stuff. i have a wicked sweet tooth :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk wrote:
but i am probably one of those people who they cater to with the sweet stuff. i have a wicked sweet tooth :-)

Yeah, this. . . I wanna try the latte, with the typical amount of syrup added, made with vanilla soymilk. Shoot me.

Does it taste kinda like a dirty chai (chai latte + espresso shot)? Seems like they would be pretty similar in flavor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I finally had time to get one and I'm drinking it now. Meh...

It's not too sweet for me, but the spice part is a little overpowering. I wish it was more subtle. Probably won't ever get this drink again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Damnit, I can't even decide if this sounds good to me, but I'm curious so I think I have to try it.

I don't usually find the drinks too sweet (I wish I did) except for things like the peppermint mocha, where they double up on syrups. Ack! I have gotten one but have to ask for just 1/2 the amount of each.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks to whoever here suggested having the vanilla spice with a shot of mocha (I did look but can't find the post now). I had a grande one of these yesterday, it was very nice.
Today I had a vanilla spice without the mocha shot and found it had a slightly unpleasant aftertaste to it which the mocha must have offset yesterday - unless size makes some difference? Today I had a tall.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Where do you guys get the vegan mocha? The baristas always tell me that it is a sauce that has milk powder in it. Is it regional, or do stores have leeway in how they make it up?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 pm 
And you never will.

lw - the mocha should never have milk in it (the white mocha does, though). They should all be using the same stuff everywhere. They mix it from a powder in store (mixed with water), so ask them to check the bag if they try to tell you that again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'll ask again in the morning. This barista is always super good though, so it's weird. I would love a raspberry mocha. I only get 1-2 pumps of syrup ever in a venti; so sweet otherwise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
I'll ask again in the morning. This barista is always super good though, so it's weird. I would love a raspberry mocha. I only get 1-2 pumps of syrup ever in a venti; so sweet otherwise

Yeah, the mocha is made from cocoa powder, sugar, and maybe vanillin? I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's definitely vegan. The mocha is awesome with raspberry - it's pretty dark and not very sweet so it balances super well. I think I might get one tomorrow... Iced with a pump of each. Mmm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For those who find the lattes too sweet, you can ask for your latte "half-sweet" so they'll use only 2 pumps of syrup instead of the typical 4 pumps (for a grande). That's how I order my drinks here (in Canada...so it is regular soy milk, not vanilla soy milk, but I think it might be sweetened a little bit). Except for the time that I asked for it half-sweet and the barista wrote "2x" on the cup....and I think they added twice as much syrup...it was sooooo gross haha!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i ordered a vanilla roibos venti, with 1/2 cup steamed soy milk and 1 pump of the vanilla spice syrup...yummy! i also tried today the same drink with a chai spiced tea bag instead...the first is better!