| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: eyeshadow primer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

baps wrote:
sharky wrote:
i'm loving the laura mercier eye canvas...it's in a pot so it goes on smoothly--i use my ring finger to apply. they have several shades, too. i got the lightest one, it is a very pale neutral beige. about the same or slightly lighter than elf sheer, and lighter than mac painterly.

this is good to hear. I might try some out next time I'm in a dept store.

yeah definitely getting this. I'm fed up with my ELF primer to be honest. It's too thin and doesn't seem to do much.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chicki wrote:
I use BareMinerals (formerly Bare Essencials) for the foundation powder, and the primer. As far as I can see, they are both vegan and they do not test on animals (not all of their products are vegan though, if that is a problem for you).

BareMinerals is owned by Shiseido, who definitely tests on animals. Just letting you know, in case parent companies matter to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I didn't know that, but that makes the fact that they always win the VegNews awards for 'best makeup' even more hilarious.

I have the 'magic one' in the tube and the pot one in 'buff'. But i've been having problems lately with my eyelids being super super oily and nothing is helping my poor eyeshadows. I wish there was an oil zapper that was safe to put that close to my eyeballs.

http://theallnaturalface.com/eyes-and-b ... tives.html

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am 

I'm wondering if any of OCC's creme colour concentrates would work as an eye shadow primer?. There are only a couple of colors but they're new...so maybe there will be more in the future? OCC says their skin primer can double as an eye primer. Using their mixing medium with loose shadow might be an alternative to needing primer?

I've not tried either but I've been doing a bunch of makeup research for my wedding (because it's different in photos...you don't want to look washed out...blah blah...my younger, punkier self is weeping). I've only come across a few vegan eye primers that aren't owned by parent companies who test, and they're pretty pricey, unfortunately. OCC seems pretty middle-of-the-road in price. The CoverFx primer is vegan but $42 (maybe someone can find a sale or a sample?). Blinc also makes a primer for $25.

Cream shadows will also work as a primer. MBM has mentioned pumpkin and poppy before. She has a fair amount of cream shadows on her page.

If I find more, I'll report back.

Edit: MBM--I didn't know you were typing at the same time I was. And I just mentioned you in the third person as though you weren't here.:) (yes, I hear the words in my head).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

tinglepants! wrote:
Chicki wrote:
I use BareMinerals (formerly Bare Essencials) for the foundation powder, and the primer. As far as I can see, they are both vegan and they do not test on animals (not all of their products are vegan though, if that is a problem for you).

BareMinerals is owned by Shiseido, who definitely tests on animals. Just letting you know, in case parent companies matter to you.

Oh sweet Jebus. Another one. Yes it matters to me. More so than having non-vegan products.

Years ago I had a friend that worked for them, and they were SO PROUD of being privately owned. Guess they got bought since I stopped talking to that friend.

Seriously, my head is about to explode from all the problems I am having trying to find cruelty free cosmetics and skin care. (I am still transitioning to this end of the vegan spectrum)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am 

Chicki wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Oh sweet Jebus. Another one. Yes it matters to me. More so than having non-vegan products.

Years ago I had a friend that worked for them, and they were SO PROUD of being privately owned. Guess they got bought since I stopped talking to that friend.

Seriously, my head is about to explode from all the problems I am having trying to find cruelty free cosmetics and skin care. (I am still transitioning to this end of the vegan spectrum)

I know, it's ridiculous just how many hands are in different pots, so to speak.

If you want to buy from companies who have no affiliations with animal testing, beware of brands owned by LVMH (Luis Vuitton Moet Hennessy). They own a crap-ton of brands, including Benefit and Sephora (I admit, though, I shop at the latter from time to time).

Have you tried Alima Pure or Everyday Minerals? You can get foundation and blush samples of the former at whiterabbitbeauty.com. Samples are usually $1.50 each, maybe $2. Zuzu luxe is a fantastic mineral makeup, as well, though they don't make any primers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

tinglepants! wrote:
Have you tried Alima Pure or Everyday Minerals? You can get foundation and blush samples of the former at whiterabbitbeauty.com. Samples are usually $1.50 each, maybe $2. Zuzu luxe is a fantastic mineral makeup, as well, though they don't make any primers.

Thanks I will check those out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really like the 100% Pure primer for my face, haven't really tried it on my eyelids though.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I quite like the NYX HD eyeshadow base: http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-33-hd-eye ... esb04.aspx

According to this list of NYX products spreadsheet, it does not contain animal-derived ingredients: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... LR0E#gid=0

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 am 
Ninja Master

joyfulvegan wrote:
I quite like the NYX HD eyeshadow base: http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-33-hd-eye ... esb04.aspx

According to this list of NYX products spreadsheet, it does not contain animal-derived ingredients: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... LR0E#gid=0

Thank you so much for posting this. I love NYX!!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

joyfulvegan wrote:

does this contain beeswax? the ulta ingredients list has beeswax it but i wasn't sure if it's been reformulated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i will be watching this thread closely... i threw out what was left of my UDPP because it got too hard to squeeze out of the tube, and i'm obvs not buying any more. in the meantime i bought one from an etsy shop (sobe botanicals) after seeing an extremely positive review online, and it works pretty well -- feels very smooth going on -- but it doesn't last nearly as long or as well as UDPP. and in any case, it doesn't seem like she's making it anymore, harumph. the elf stuff didn't work for me at all, sad face.

so i'm really interested in trying the laura mercier eye canvas if you guys are giving it a thumbs up... also curious about the OCC primer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

so this nyx list may be dangerous....to my wallet!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:31 am 
Ninja Master

missmuffcake wrote:
so this nyx list may be dangerous....to my wallet!

I know. I have a pro discount with them and I still always end up spending a fortune when I put an order in.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I didn't get on with the ELF primer either, it seemed to slide off my eyelids taking my make-up with it quicker than if I'd used nothing!

When was the NYX spreadsheet from joyfulvegan? Is it up to date? Huffs post suggests things may have been reformulated. I haven't managed to track any down yet to check the ingredients myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I contacted NYX in February 2012, and it's the same list that I linked to. My tube of the NYX primer lists "beeswax" as an ingredient, but I remember reading somewhere that all the beeswax NYX uses is synthetic and the only animal-derived ingredients used in their products are lanolin and carmine. Thing is, I've been Googling and can't find where I read that, so I will be contacting NYX again to inquire about the beeswax.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I went to check on the NYX stuff...everything I wanted has beeswax. The jumbo eye pencils, lip products and eyelid primer. Also I think the list says what products contain bees wax...so they must use it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:35 am 
Baking In The Flavor

bummer:( another update on the laura mercier... i started patting it on as opposed to swiping since i apply it over concealer & powder and it goes on much more smoothly that way. still loving it, my my makeup looks pretty much the same at the end of the night-maybe slightly faded shadow but no creasing-and my lids are way oily. it's $26 but you get the same amount as a mac paint pot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

So the folks at Sephora said that they will not get the whole OCC line in store for awhile. I wanted to see other stuff besides the tars in person...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've used and love various shadows from Fyrinnae (http://www.fyrinnae.com/), and their primer is really good. I have the pixie primer and my sparkly powder shadow stays on all day. Love all of the colors and the fact that it says right there on the home page that everything is vegan! They also have sample sizes of all the shadows, which can last quite a while if you aren't using them all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I heard back from NYX.

I wrote:
"Dear NYX,
I have contacted you in the past for a list of vegan-friendly cosmetics, and you kindly responded with a spreadsheet of your products with animal-derived ingredients. Your list includes products that contain carmine and lanolin, two animal-derived ingredients vegans tend to avoid. However, upon reading the labels of some of your products (the HD Eye Shadow base, for example), I see beeswax listed as an ingredient. Beeswax is an animal-derived product. Does NYX use real beeswax or synthetic beeswax? If it is synthetic, why is not labeled as such on the label? If you use real beeswax, would you consider updating your vegan list to include products containing beeswax as not vegan? Thank you for your time. Sincerely, [joyfulvegan]"

NYX responded,
"Hi,
Unfortunately the list you have is out dated. We no longer send out a list because we update our vendors and ingredients for products quite often. Since we do not certify our products as vegan we cannot say that beeswax within the product is synthetic or not. Therefore if there is a concern we suggest that you refrain from using products with these known animal derived ingredients and to always read the labels carefully as our formulas do get updated regularly. We will most certainly note your feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to write us.
Best,
NYX Cosmetics"

Boooooooooooooooooooo. Time to find ANOTHER eyeshadow primer, I started using the NYX after the UDPP "oh oops it has a lanolin derivative in it, guess it's not vegan, sorry!" fiasco. I have the e.l.f. mineral primer and it's okay, but not fabulous. Rawr.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I figured it was to good to be true. If something does not say 'synthetic beeswax' I do not trust it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hourglass primer is vegan. Spendy, but it may work well on eyelids. My friend swears by it. She does some modeling and says it works great for photo shoots.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:57 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Looks like drugstore brand Wet 'n Wild has a new eyeshadow primer, part of their new Fergie line. G. from Nouveau Cheap, one of my favorite beauty blogs, reviewed it, and she includes a photo of the ingredients list. Looks vegan to me, and she gave it a really good review. I will definitely have to check this out! Has anyone else tried it?

Link: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... n-day.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:58 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Oh cool! Wet 'n Wild has some great stuff nowadays! I will for sure get that.

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next