| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 210  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
I liked the idea of the story and the premise sounded intriguing but the characters never clicked with me and I found myself not caring about them or what they were doing so reading further about them seemed pointless. And the remniscences and scenes the two lovers had together (Henry and Clare?) weren't poignant or touching to me. The literary name dropping in the book was driving me out of my mind. It was like when I read James Frey's A Million Little Pieces and what struck me when I read the book was not that it was about a man's recovery, as it was touted to be, but it's focus seemed to be on a man who was trying desparately to be a tough guy. Notice how he reported how many fistfights and tough guy scenes were in that book (if you read the book?). What's that got to do with recovery? Whoever wrote the TTTW wanted to impress me with her reading list, apparently. There was an ego-driven agenda going on with these authors, I thought, that was not about entertaining me or touching my heart or inspiring me or rousing me to some genuine emotion. No...just, no.

have you tried her other book, 'fearful symmetry'? the premise is a bit fantasy like TTTW story, but if you can just put that aside and go along with it, FS is a good story.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Update on my re-reading of the Bell Jar: First I should say the reason I related to the character the first time I read it was not because of her clinical depression but because of her being a young woman with an enviable life who still felt out-of-sorts and unformed and dissatisfied and also guilty for not enjoying herself. I still like that about the character. I'm not done with it, but a little over halfway through, and I am struck by how funny the first half is. She does seem pretty self aware, though she can't quite control her emotions. I also found her rejection of gender roles and her dating troubles in the first half really interesting because it was so specific to the time period. I do feel like there is a chunk in the middle of the book that seems like it is missing, the transition from the lighter mood of the first half to the loss of control of the second half is confusing, but then so is a big mood swing. I tried to write that in a non-spoileriffic way, hope I managed it.

Still like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I got absorbed in the story and finished in one day. She has quite a beautiful way of writing and inspired me to get on the trail more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lavawitch wrote:
geekywhitegirljoan wrote:
Son of Seitan wrote:
Life by Keith Richards

I really enjoyed this when I read it. Keith's a trip.

Did you ever see Mick Jagger's Keith Richards impersonation on SNL? Pure classic.

Yes indeed. Funny stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

PorshaJo wrote:

Now, I'm on to The Shadow of the Wind. Loving it so far.

I loved that book!

I'm still slogging through 20K Leagues Under the Sea. I'm a little disappointed because several people told me that it was the best of his books, and I'm just really not enjoying it as much as Journey to the Center of the Earth and Around the World in 80 Days. There isn't anything driving the characters forward like there was in those books, and I'm getting tired of the endless descriptions of...well...the things under the sea. In the other two, they were constantly coming across something new and exciting! And here it's all ocean this, salt water that, fish fish fish. Basically, I'm bored, but I'm afraid if I put it down for awhile that I'll never come back to it (and I borrowed it, so I don't want to keep it indefinitely).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bookwormbethie wrote:
parkerk wrote:
Just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and really enjoyed it.

really? i wanted to like this book so darn bad but i couldn't get into it :( did y'all like it right away or did it take some time to fall in love with the story?

I got sucked into the story pretty quick, wanting to see how the challenge was going to develop and all. I can see how it might not be engaging, though, if you don't like that kind of teasing, drawn-out exposition.

The world she creates is just so intriguing, mysterious and lovely. Very much like a fairy tale, which is the sort of thing I enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

bookwormbethie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I liked the idea of the story and the premise sounded intriguing but the characters never clicked with me and I found myself not caring about them or what they were doing so reading further about them seemed pointless. And the remniscences and scenes the two lovers had together (Henry and Clare?) weren't poignant or touching to me. The literary name dropping in the book was driving me out of my mind. It was like when I read James Frey's A Million Little Pieces and what struck me when I read the book was not that it was about a man's recovery, as it was touted to be, but it's focus seemed to be on a man who was trying desparately to be a tough guy. Notice how he reported how many fistfights and tough guy scenes were in that book (if you read the book?). What's that got to do with recovery? Whoever wrote the TTTW wanted to impress me with her reading list, apparently. There was an ego-driven agenda going on with these authors, I thought, that was not about entertaining me or touching my heart or inspiring me or rousing me to some genuine emotion. No...just, no.

have you tried her other book, 'fearful symmetry'? the premise is a bit fantasy like TTTW story, but if you can just put that aside and go along with it, FS is a good story.

I'm able to suspend my disbelief and all that, I love stories with fantastical twists, especially. A mix of the fantastical and everyday is like one of the best things ever in a story to me. But are the characters in FS more real? I think that was the main problem I had with ATTW was that I found characters trite and not deeply developed. I mean, I feel that she tried to paint the characters in her way as a writer but her methods didn't touch me, personally. I worry when I have that problem with a writer's work that it'll be the case in everything they write if I happen to be reading it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

kallista93 wrote:
Update on my re-reading of the Bell Jar: First I should say the reason I related to the character the first time I read it was not because of her clinical depression but because of her being a young woman with an enviable life who still felt out-of-sorts and unformed and dissatisfied and also guilty for not enjoying herself. I still like that about the character. I'm not done with it, but a little over halfway through, and I am struck by how funny the first half is. She does seem pretty self aware, though she can't quite control her emotions. I also found her rejection of gender roles and her dating troubles in the first half really interesting because it was so specific to the time period. I do feel like there is a chunk in the middle of the book that seems like it is missing, the transition from the lighter mood of the first half to the loss of control of the second half is confusing, but then so is a big mood swing. I tried to write that in a non-spoileriffic way, hope I managed it.

Still like it.

It's interesting you say that. I've read the book and done background reading on it and the novel was actually rejected by several (American) editors before Plath's death because they liked the first half of the book and felt it accessible to the reader, but there was something about the second half that made her experience remain a "private one," (to paraphrase, one rejection letter from an editor said something like that) and how it remains a "case history" rather than a novel. So, they essentially felt the subsequent/later events in the novel weren't really justified by what came before them, sort of thing. Plath never really tapped into the emotional reservoir in that book, she was holding back somehow and editors sensed it. However, that emotional reticence changed dramatically when Plath wrote Ariel where she let it all come howling out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

bookwormbethie wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Tzippy wrote:

I'm reading this one now!

This is one of my favorites!

really? i wanted to like this book so darn bad but i couldn't get into it :( did y'all like it right away or did it take some time to fall in love with the story?

I loved it from page one. It's delicious. I kept shutting it just to stroke it, it's so beautiful. One of my favourite books ever.
Try again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So the final Wheel of Time book came out yesterday but the late author's wife has decided to delay release of the e-book until April (it was originally going to be a year delay!!). I guess she thought that if sales were split between hard copy and ebook that it might not make the NYT best sellers list?? Just a minor annoyance, but I don't want to have to lug around a 1000 page book so I guess I'll be waiting till April. Lame!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mia's book is kinda getting boring. Someone's spiritual journey is always incredibly boring to me, but I think I just have to get through the sixties and seventies with her and then things'll get juicy again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

seitanicverses wrote:
Mia's book is kinda getting boring. Someone's spiritual journey is always incredibly boring to me, but I think I just have to get through the sixties and seventies with her and then things'll get juicy again.

Guess you weren't a fan of Eat, Pray, Love? (I never made it through "Love.")

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got a belated Christmas gift, The Last Unicorn graphic novel!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bookwormbethie wrote:

annek wrote:
I loved it from page one. It's delicious. I kept shutting it just to stroke it, it's so beautiful. One of my favourite books ever.
Try again!

maybe i will try again ;) this is a beautiful book that i would love to pet too ;) it is a 2 part series so there is another book too.
http://www.amazon.com/Orphans-Tales-Nig ... 0553384031

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanicverses wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

I'm able to suspend my disbelief and all that, I love stories with fantastical twists, especially. A mix of the fantastical and everyday is like one of the best things ever in a story to me. But are the characters in FS more real? I think that was the main problem I had with ATTW was that I found characters trite and not deeply developed. I mean, I feel that she tried to paint the characters in her way as a writer but her methods didn't touch me, personally. I worry when I have that problem with a writer's work that it'll be the case in everything they write if I happen to be reading it.

i think we have similar tastes in books :)
I don't know if the characters in FS are more real. I remember reading it, and being aware that I had to suspend disbelief, and usually that thought never ever crosses my mind when I'm reading a story. I just get naturally drawn in to the story. if you could find FS as a bargain book or for under $10, I would say go ahead and give it a try.

i know how you feel though, about worrying if you don't like one work of another author's you might not like another. i don't recall if "accidental tourist" was the first anne tyler book i read or not, but it was the only one of hers that i enjoyed. i tried a couple of others and did not like them at all. "accidental tourist" is a great story though, i still love it even though i haven't liked the couple of other books she wrote. but it's has turned me off from trying anything else of hers.

http://www.amazon.com/Accidental-Touris ... 0345452003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anek wrote:

...After all these boxes and boxes of enthusiastic quoted posts (okay, most of them) I scrolled up to find this was about The Night Circus?!
OMG, I just got this from a friend as a belated birthday present, and already the cover is gorgeous.
When people who don't read a lot say they loved it so much that they devoured it... well, all I'm saying is I'm REALLY looking forward to reading it now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Both my sisters wanted me to read this book but I just know it'll bore me because I just don't like that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just finished A Tall Man in a Low Land: Some Time among the Belgians by Harry Pearson. I really wanted to like it, but it was just "meh".

I've just started China in Ten Words by Yu Hua.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finished "life, a user's manual" by georges perec. epic. awesome. swoon. i bought one of his collections of essays and also a book on the oulipo movement.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
WRETCHED

lepelaar wrote:
I've just started China in Ten Words by Yu Hua.

Sound like a short book... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

seitanicverses wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Both my sisters wanted me to read this book but I just know it'll bore me because I just don't like that sort of thing.

I liked the "eat" section when she was in Italy because it was all reading the newspaper with coffee and chocolate croissants, daily gelato, pizza, and I like picturing myself on a sunny terrace with coffee and croissants and the newspaper. Otherwise I found it meh, and like I said, never finished it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Chocolate Wars. I really liked it. It makes me want to invest in vegan chocolate companies!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm listening to the final book in the Tomorrow When the War Began series, The Other Side of Dawn - so glad this will be over soon, my heart can't take any more, these books are so intense and action-packed.

Plus a werewolf YA book that I'm only reading because I got the sequel for review. It's pretty predictable and nothing exciting or new :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm reading Some Girls: My Life in a Harem by Jillian Lauren and it is fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm enjoying Among Others, by Jo Walton it's about a girl at an English boarding school and there is magic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 210  Next