| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tea party food! Need some crowd pleasing recipe suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am throwing a small, fairly low-key birthday tea party for my youngest daughter. She is turning two and eats anything, so I am mainly concerned with what to serve my omni guests.

Any tried and true recipe suggestions? I am thinking a platter of tea sandwiches--chickpea salad and cucumber and cream cheese or hummus sandwiches, and a crustless quiche from the FatFree Vegan website, and some cupcakes. I am a bit hesitant to make the cucumber cream cheese sandwiches because I dislike the taste of Tofutti--any recipes that mask the strange taste of vegan cream cheese?

I would love to hear any and all recipe suggestions you may have--sandwiches, desserts, etc. I have a few guests that are staunchly anti-vegan, so I definitely need some omni-friendly, crowd pleasing ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: Tea party food! Need some crowd pleasing recipe suggest
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am 
WRETCHED

how about instead of cucumber and cream cheese, cucumber and dill hummus? or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I came here to say cucumber and hummus sandwiches too. I threw a tea party once and we had those, cute mini-cupcakes with sprinkles, scones, and little jam thumbprint cookies. If you wanted to do a second tea sandwich there are lots of options, even something as simple as sundried tomatoes and pesto would be good. I was lacto-ovo veg when I had my tea party so I don't have specific recipes to share, but I'm sure someone else can jump in and suggest some. I think those things are the types of fare that anyone would expect to see at tea party and don't scream out "VEGAN VEGAN VEGAN!!!" so your less enlightened omni friends would be glad to gobble them up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

If you have time make your own cream cheese from Miyoko's Vegan Artisan Cheeses or the recipe in VegsNews. They are almost the same. That cream cheese is to die for. Omni hubby steals it from me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tea party? Obviously freedom fries, AMERICAN cheese and Chick-Fil-A. Kidding. But as per usual, I'd go with something stuffed or rolled. Spring rolls, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed squash etc. Have you ever tried making stuffed grape leaves? It's actually pretty easy to do if you have someone to help you roll. And a jar of grape leaves makes a TON of food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thank you! Love these ideas. I think I'm spending the day taste testing various recipes so it looks as tonight's will be a bit of a tea party as well:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm very fond of cucumber sandwiches with just cucumbers, Earth Balance, and salt and pepper.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

i've toasted some walnuts, chopped them pretty fine, and then mixed them with tofutti cream cheese and it's quite nice. i think that would do well to compliment/hide any flavor you don't like, but still feel like it's cream cheese. sometime i toss some dates in there, too, so it's a date walnut spread. but just walnut cream cheese with cucumber sounds really good to me. just a thought.

avocado slices also make a great, simple tea sandwich. roasted veggies, thinly sliced, also.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

scones always go over well..I usually make two varieties..a "cheese" and onion one, and a fruit and nut one... always a hit.