| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
Leela never likes blankets on her while she sleeps. I will put them on surreptitiously, because its just so freaking cold, and she semi-wakes struggles to get them off, cries and needs to be nursed to sleep. She will tolerate 2 piece jammies but not the footed ones, esp not the fleecy footed ones.

When I was a kid I always thought the fleece feet felt gross. Now as an adult I still can't wear socks to bed. What about if she wore a hat to bed? My bald FIL does this.

On the other hand, maybe she just is totally warm enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Violet is like this too - kicks off blankets, though we are able to get away with footed sleepers - but doesn't seem to mind the Halo footed sleepsacks. http://www.amazon.com/SleepSack-Micro-F ... +sleepsack

In photos I always laughed at these before toddlerhood because they look ugly as sin in the pictures but they actually look pretty adorable on V. For some reason it makes her look like a little dancing dervish to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:31 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I bought a few of those sleep sack things, but we still swaddle Sierra (in one of those kinda expensive velcro blankets I got for free from someone) for nap and bedtime. I think it's weird because she is almost 8 months old, and I went so far as to ask the dr if it was ok, like not gonna stunt her development or whatever. But it seems to be the only thing that signals "time for bed" to her, because otherwise it's just another nursing session where she'll pop off every 2 minutes, look around, try to roll over etc. She usually breaks her arms free later on when she wakes up and sometimes I wonder if she'd be able to self-soothe herself better with her arms free but I'm just not willing to change something that works! Sometimes I feel like I'm cracking under the strain of constantly nursing allll night long and never sleeping more than 3 hours at a time, so it's very important to me to at least be able to get her off for the initial sleep quickly, even though she wakes up 2 to 3 hours later without fail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was going to recommend the footed sleep sack. We use the regular one, but I figured since Leela didn't take to it, maybe she would like the footed one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tofulish wrote:
Leela never likes blankets on her while she sleeps. I will put them on surreptitiously, because its just so freaking cold, and she semi-wakes struggles to get them off, cries and needs to be nursed to sleep. She will tolerate 2 piece jammies but not the footed ones, esp not the fleecy footed ones. She also won't tolerate a sleep sack and she moves so much at night it wouldn't be practical amyway. So I worry about her getting cold? Is this normal? I keep our house at 66F normally (feels cold to me) but now have it at 68F. We cosleep so she does get my warmth.

In Chinese medicine the thought it that you have to keep your kid warm or they won't grow (bc they are using their energy to keep warm).

Thanks for your thoughts!

I am, of course, not a parent, but it seems like Leela knows her needs and is communicating them pretty well. I imagine if she gets cold she'll let you know.

For what it's worth, I was always a very hot baby/child. Like, if I could get away with it would rip off my clothes and run around in the rain with steam coming off. I am now usually cold.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I bet she is plenty warm already. Our pediatrician said that 60-65 is appropriate temp for a baby's sleeping space (for adults, too) and if she's co-sleeping, I'm sure she's getting a lot of heat. Malka sleeps in a diaper only and always has and when she was in our bed, she'd scrunch herself up to the very head of the bed to get away from the covers and our body heat and when we tried to recover her, she'd thrash until the covers came off (and our room is <65 degrees). In her own room, away from our body heat, she hasn't tried to do much blanket escaping, but the comforter is much less heavy in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! Ariann, that is exactly what L does. Thank you all for the reassurance. Sadly L hates all manner of sleepsacks and footy pjs. I was feeling guilty about her being cold so I put her into cotton light footie pjs and she yelled and pulled at them and cried until we took them off. She is now running around in a t-shirt.

Hot potato babies!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thankfully, Freya likes her footed pajamas okay. We tried the sleepsacks and she didn't like them at first, then we got a busted one (bad snap), so it was unsafe and yeah. Now, she wears cotton pj's under a set of heavy jammies. She hates blankets..she doesn't like when mine goes on her body at all. Well, she doesn't mind too much when she's awake, but during the night...oooh boy. I need some fleecy pajamas for myself. Soon, maybe I'll get to have a warm blanket and warm furry husband though. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I have a giant mound of duvets on the very edge of the bed and Leela sleeps in the middle like a ninja throwing star. It works for us her. ;)

She really is a very nakey baby. She brings me the potty and I get all excited, but really its just a sign that she wants her diaper off and then she runs around and poops somewhere near but not in the potty. Ah well.

I think its amazing how they make such leaps when they hang out together. Leela's speech got so much clearer after a playdate with her friend Lo. Lo is 14 months and recognized the spelled word cat and then went to find the cat. I guess that is the beginning of reading, but holy crepe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I have a giant mound of duvets on the very edge of the bed and Leela sleeps in the middle like a ninja throwing star. It works for us her. ;)

She really is a very nakey baby. She brings me the potty and I get all excited, but really its just a sign that she wants her diaper off and then she runs around and poops somewhere near but not in the potty. Ah well.

I think its amazing how they make such leaps when they hang out together. Leela's speech got so much clearer after a playdate with her friend Lo. Lo is 14 months and recognized the spelled word cat and then went to find the cat. I guess that is the beginning of reading, but holy crepe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tofulish, you have to take a picture of throwing-star Leela! That sounds too adorable for words.

At our house it was an ongoing battle of the blankets between us and Sven. As soon as you put them over him, he kicks them off in one immediate, swift motion. We also finally gave up and figured he'd let us know if he was cold. Sometimes I at least try to sneak them up over his feet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish - I think Lo is actually a 5 year old in a 1 year old's body, though. The kid is weirdly advanced with the language. I am finding it humorous now to compare Malka with my nephew - he's the talker, she's the coordinated mover. I figure someday she will also be the talker. Last night in our 45 minute reading spree, I read her this long Hebrew book that someone just gave us and it's not really a children's story and is super poetic and kind of old-fashioned so I was even tripping over the words and *that's* the book she was totally fascinated by, even though she can't have understood any of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Does anyone know if its ok to take EmergenC while you're pregnant? Or is the high dose of vitamins too much? Ada had a sore throat a couple of days ago but it never developed into anything. I swear she has an immune system of steel. I on the other hand got sick as soon as she was better and it just seems to be getting worse. My midwives weren't in when I called before (not sure if they are in today).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am 
Semen Strong

I've read you're not supposed to, but I don't know if its just not tested and they don't want you to take too much Vit C which is watersoluble so that isn't much of a risk. I love EmergenC when I'm sick but didn't take it while pregnant just in case, even though I really don't see the potential harm. My midwife suggested calling the company, but I couldn't muster enough effort to care. Googling seems to show that a lot of pregnant moms use it - because its just watersoluble vitamins (C and B) and sugar.

Basically a ton of the supplements etc have warnings saying not to take while pregnant in case you over-supplement. Like the Arbonne smoothie mix says "don't take while preg" but its just CYA because they assume you're already taking a prenatal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I never took it when I was pregnant with Ada, but I had more time to rest. I also love it when not pregnant. I just don't want to get worse. It's been a lot of tv and ipad time the last couple of days which I feel bad about. At least it's almost the weekend and I'll hopefully be able to sleep it off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:52 am 
Semen Strong

I have been eating a lot of the Chickpea, cabbage and rice soup, because cabbage is pretty high in vitamin C and Leela loves it too. I seriously can't think what the issue would be with it. I hope your midwife gives you some reassurance!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive never taken Emergen-C but i got sick with a cold twice so far during this pregnancy, one was just awful.
i tried drinking OJ but it made me ill because i have really bad acid reflux.
finally during the second, not so bad cold i bought just some vitamin C drops and i eat some of those every now and then. probably not more than 2-3 a day.
there's nothing on the bag that is a warning for anyone.

i have no idea if they are helping or if i am just finally over the whole cold thing but it was a way for me to get a bit more vit C when i couldnt drink OJ.

you could eat lots of sliced red bell peppers too, they are the food highest in vit C (i think)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Well, this question is probably really dumb, but I'm curious--when do you start using soap on your baby? The hospital told us not to when we first took her home, and now (3 months) we still haven't yet. But at some point people start using soap, right?

I asked the home health visitor today, especially since she pointed out that tiny wu has pretty dry skin, and she said no soap, just put oil in the water. Really? That seems weird, and slippery-dangerous. I was thinking more like coconut oil after a bath? What do you guys do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I wouldn't use soap if tw has dry skin. We don't use soap on L - and I put coconut oil or shea butter on her whenever her skin gets dry.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

D has really dry skin so we only wash her hair with soap and lotion her up after each bath. When we used soap her skin got so dry it started cracking no matter how much lotion I used. Now she has baby soft skin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ditto to no soap. We waited a realllly long time (7 months, maybe?). Now, we use some shea butter stuff that seems okay. I too think that oil in the bath sounds silly. Grease her up afterward and then put on her clothes...will lock in the moisture. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Leela never likes blankets on her while she sleeps. I will put them on surreptitiously, because its just so freaking cold, and she semi-wakes struggles to get them off, cries and needs to be nursed to sleep. She will tolerate 2 piece jammies but not the footed ones, esp not the fleecy footed ones. She also won't tolerate a sleep sack and she moves so much at night it wouldn't be practical amyway. So I worry about her getting cold? Is this normal? I keep our house at 66F normally (feels cold to me) but now have it at 68F. We cosleep so she does get my warmth.

In Chinese medicine the thought it that you have to keep your kid warm or they won't grow (bc they are using their energy to keep warm).

I just read this, grey also hates blankets, but he does wear footed pjs. We keep the house at 70, but he is usually warm. Is leela cool to the touch? Grey definitely runs hot, all the other kids around here wear so many more layers than he does and he is always warm. If she feels cool or is waking cause she is cold then I would worry about it. Grey also sleeps on his own in just a footed jammy. He is 90th percentile for height, so no worries about growth!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I would wait to use soap until she's either dirty enough that you really need it or she's over her dry skin. Oil up afterwards.

Sashi - if it makes you feel better, Vitamin C hasn't been shown to reduce the length of colds. But zinc gluconate has! Can you get zinc lozenges? And if you want to use Emergen-C, I can't even fathom how that would be a problem, it's just water soluble vitamins and coloring/flavoring, right? Have you tried Breathe Easy or Throat Coat tea? Sorry you're sick! Do you think it's just a cold or something else?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

littlebear wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I just read this, grey also hates blankets, but he does wear footed pjs. We keep the house at 70, but he is usually warm. Is leela cool to the touch? Grey definitely runs hot, all the other kids around here wear so many more layers than he does and he is always warm. If she feels cool or is waking cause she is cold then I would worry about it. Grey also sleeps on his own in just a footed jammy. He is 90th percentile for height, so no worries about growth!

Obviously, I am not a parent and don't know anything about Chinese medicine either, but that claim sounds awfully exaggerrated to me. I mean, yes, when you're cold enough to shiver you are expending a fair amount of energy trying to warm up. But if your house is 68F and you're cosleeping it just doesn't seem like she'd be anywhere near that territory. My ex-husband actually had his growth stunted (based on the height of his brothers and that projection they make when they measure a kid at two or three or whatever) by an extended illness that involved several months in the hospital, high fevers, significant weight loss, etc... but that's such a fantastically extreme case of the body using all available energy to do something other than grow...

What about socks with her jammies?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebear wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Thanks! And woohoo for being in the 90%!

Last night we turned the heat up and she slept through the night, so we're going to try that again, in case the latest bouts of sleepless nights and midnight nursings are bc she is cold....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 88  Next