| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty eats from Trader Joe's
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I am a huge fan of the Gigantes they have - jarred giant white beans in a yummy Greekish tomato sauce. I serve those on toast points and the kidlet loves them. She also INHALES the organic baked beans when I serve them on toast (Ezekial sprouted bread).

I think the vegan hummus I've bought has the shared equipment warning, but is still marked vegan. I wonder if there is natural flavoring that is animal derived. Also, mmm chunky speculoos.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:35 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Someone, either here or on another vegan board said that they wrote to TJ's asking about the sugar, and they wrote them back confirming that it was bone char. boo. I am trying to find the letter, but I can't.

Also, there is a vegan that works at the one near me, and they also told me about it...they said they knew because they were vegan themselves and checked it out

So boooo. That is too much info for me to eat it without feeling guilty (but that's just me. I aint no vegan police! do whatcha wanna!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:13 pm 
WRETCHED

Again, the way I read it was that the source could not be verified and it may even vary but honestly, that is like everything else with sugar that doesn't say vegan on it. You never know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm pretty sure the letter is somewhere in this thread. I don't remember the exact wording (whether or not it was "can't confirm it's not bone char" or "it is bone char") but I know they don't put the "v" on things that they can't verify are vegan but probably and potentially are vegan. Isn't that what happened with the chocolate chips? I'd still eat the cookie butter if that were the case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quote:
Web Customer Relations webRelations@traderjoes.com
5:54 PM (5 hours ago)

Allison,

Thank you for your email. This product is not considered vegan since it contains refined sugar that has been filtered through bone char.

Sincerely,
Amy
Trader Joe's
Customer Relations

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=278&start=1425

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, that is different than something else I read. You take the risk with sugar in general. I personally wouldn't have a problem eating it but its not something I'd buy anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

went to TJ's and made a beeline for the crunchy speculoos, almond bark (pretty sure i'll be tasting the two of these together, just because), and sweet potato tortilla chips. thank you, thread! i shall gorge myself later.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My sweet potato tots were seemingly never-crisping : (

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Sweet potato fries and tots never get crisp for me either. Actually, they always seem mushy. Yuck. I think sweet potato stuff needs to be deep fried, so I stick to regular for baked versions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

mushy here to...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:52 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I got some sweet potato tots from Whole Foods that came out nice and non-mushy. Maybe it's just bake time? I always accidentally bake things for too long at my bf's apartment because his timer is super quiet. I'll try the TJ's ones because the WF ones are EXPENSIVE so I never get them. Sadface.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

bluedawg wrote:
went to TJ's and made a beeline for the crunchy speculoos, almond bark (pretty sure i'll be tasting the two of these together, just because), and sweet potato tortilla chips. thank you, thread! i shall gorge myself later.

What the... the almond bark is vegan?? The stuff I looked at had dairy in it. Regional difference?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
They won't put the "V" label on it just because of the shared equipment? That's a bit much.

Actually, I really like that they're that anal about it. I eat things made on shared equipment all the time, but I appreciate knowing that their standards for the "V" label are quite high/serious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 pm 

jdfunks wrote:
My sweet potato tots were seemingly never-crisping : (

We had the same experience last night. I wish I would have checked this thread before I bought them. My husband was very sad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:19 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

softness is a common trait among almost all sweet potato tot/fry-type things; i don't think it's a tj's fail. the alexia ones are coated in rice flour, and that helps a bit, but they're still pretty floppy unless you come close to burning them (which i sort of recommend).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

These are all the reasons I've never tried the sweet potato tots at TJ's, I've never found a brand that isn't soft. I think it's more the nature of the type of potato, sweet ones aren't really that starchy/dry like a russett.

Now that I'm craving them they were out of the coconut strips today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really, really tried to overbake and even sprayed with oil....wouldn't get again. There's a Cuban cart in Portland with deep-fried sweet potato tots that I'll stick with for the next rare craving.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dandykins wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

What the... the almond bark is vegan?? The stuff I looked at had dairy in it. Regional difference?

i just checked again... it has the shared equipment/may contain traces disclaimer, but nothing on the ingredients list looks scary to me...?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am 

bluedawg wrote:
dandykins wrote:
bluedawg wrote:

i just checked again... it has the shared equipment/may contain traces disclaimer, but nothing on the ingredients list looks scary to me...?

If I just misread the label, that would be FABULOUS NEWS. I will check again - thank you for posting this!! To clarify, this is the almond bark in the baking section meant to be melted down for making almond-bark covered things, right? Not the almond bark thins?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I believe everyone's talking about the almond bark thins. I just bought some bark thins yesterday, after reading this thread. I read over the ingredients list, and yep, no scary ingredients. Does TJs sell melting bark? Not sure about its vegan-ness if they do.

So I have a TJs story, but it's more of a NON-tasty eats from Trader Joe's story. My hubby was out of town for 10 days and just got home on Friday, so I wanted to make a fancier dinner to welcome him back. I made this lovely lasagna, using Isa's puttanesca sauce from AFR, the madacamia ricotta recipe from Artisan Vegan Cheese, the spinach and mushroom filling portion from the lasagna recipe in V'con, and some almond parmesan from Hearty Vegan Meals. I was so excited and it smelled absolutely amazing while it baked. Then, for some reason, I thought to double check the box of Trader Joe's no-boil lasagna noodles I had used. Well, oops! They contain eggs! I guess I had bought those noodles back when I was vegetarian transitioning to vegan. Anyway, I felt totally stupid and ridiculous, but my saving grace is that my husband is omni, and he ate it and loved it. But no lasagna love for me!

So yeah. Just FYI, don't buy the TJ's no-boil lasagna noodles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dandykins wrote:
If I just misread the label, that would be FABULOUS NEWS. I will check again - thank you for posting this!! To clarify, this is the almond bark in the baking section meant to be melted down for making almond-bark covered things, right? Not the almond bark thins?

oooh, no, i'm sorry, i'm talking about the almond bark thins that mel c posted a picture of about a page ago. whoopsie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 pm 

Ahhhh, this explains a lot : ) Thank you for clarifying!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

What do you guys do with baby bok choy? I've been buying the boxes of it at TJ's (although I hate how much packaging is involved) because it's cheap and cooks up really quickly. The first time, we tried just following the garlic and ginger and oil directions on the back, but it was missing something. Tonight I added some soyaki sauce and that was good, but I still feel like there must be... something else. What do you guys do with baby bok choy?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Anytime I get bok choy of any sort, I seem to make the Ginger Bok Choy & Soba from AFR.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

DarthCupcake wrote:
What do you guys do with baby bok choy? I've been buying the boxes of it at TJ's (although I hate how much packaging is involved) because it's cheap and cooks up really quickly. The first time, we tried just following the garlic and ginger and oil directions on the back, but it was missing something. Tonight I added some soyaki sauce and that was good, but I still feel like there must be... something else. What do you guys do with baby bok choy?

i put baby bok choy in hot n sour soup. there is an awesome recipe in the 'venturesome vegetarian' cookbook

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 121  Next