| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Baby Shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I know we talked about baby shoes in the Playground Randomness thread a while back, but I was hoping for more ideas!

Sven is walking now and I wanted to buy him his first "real" shoes for outdoor/colder-weather wear, as opposed to soft-soled shoes. The other day I bought a pair of Stride Rites that the saleswoman told me were synthetic. I certainly can't tell real from fake leather anymore! Of course, when I got home, I noticed "genuine leather" written on the insole. So any ideas where to find a good-quality pair of shoes for new walkers? I'm looking for something similar to the Stride Rites or PediPeds that are lightweight with a flexible rubber sole. I can find vegan athletic-style shoes for toddlers from Merrell or New Balance, but nothing that goes down to 6.5. And there are vegan baby Pumas but only in whole sizes, so I don't know what size I'd order.

Also, can you reuse shoes for your next kid, or will that mess up the development of their feet if another child has already broken them in? These things are so expensive and I'd feel a little better if we could get more than a few months' use out of them!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Baby Shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I would go to a kiddy shoe store and get his feet sized so you at least have an idea of sizes and then look.

I know Ariann found good shoes for M that are vegan. I got a ton gifted to us as hand me downs and don't worry too much about the reuse issue as they aren't very worn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks! I had him sized at Nordstrom. Maybe I should go to a stand-alone shoe store? I know for sure the specialty kids' shoe store has no vegan shoes; I went there for his first sizing. They tried to make me feel better by saying that all the shoes used vegetable-dyed leather. Hah.

He's a 6.5. I wish he had measured a whole size! Then I at least would have known what to order in shoes that don't do half sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh sorry I missed that! I would go up a half-size, but find reviews/ask the sales person about how the shoes run. Leela is in a size 3 for Nikes, measures at 5.5, and we have her in other shoes where she is a 5. So sadly some brands don't run true size. I know Ariann has Pumas for Malka and they look supercute and Bogs so hopefully she'll weigh in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I would size up, or I would order from someplace like Zappos that has an easy return policy and order both sizes and return the one that didn't work (or if the smaller size worked, save the other shoes for later). I do find baby shoe sizing to be a bit mysterious. Malka measured bigger than the shoes she wears, she'd be swimming in the bigger sizes.

Malka has two pairs of shoes in rotation now - the Pumas, which she's just about outgrown (they were size 4), and the Bogs boots (http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/styles ... page0.html), size 5. So I can attest that those shoes come in smaller sizes anyway. The Bogs likewise don't come in half-sizes, but honestly, they're going to grow out of them so fast I wouldn't even bother trying to find half-sizes, I'd just size up and put on an extra pair of socks. They also don't walk like adults, I feel like Malka could wear buckets on her feet and walk with the same agility at this point - they are stompers, not rockers. It's not like there's carefully placed arch support that we're talking about.

I would very highly recommend the Pumas for a beginning walker - they are easy to put on and not that easy for a baby to take off, they have a very flexible, but protective sole (I'm totally comfortable with her wearing them to walk on the sidewalk or pebbly lawn), and they have full top of the foot coverage. If it's not really cold where you are, you can stop at the Pumas and look no further. The Bogs are much clunkier because they're boots and have a thick, not so flexible sole, but I don't feel like we have a choice considering our weather if we want to let the kid walk outside. There was definitely a learning curve for Malka with the boots, because they're heavier and she can't bend her ankle as far in them, but she was a relative beginner at walking when she got them. In the beginning we had her wear them out and then changed her to the Pumas when we wanted to let her run around somewhere, but now she's a pro. These are definitely shoes for the more adept walker, though, not for the beginner - you might be there in a couple of months.

ETA: I really want to say more strongly that I don't put any stock in the foot measurement thing. Malka also measured at 5+ when she was a size 4 in every pair of shoes we tried and I measure at a size 7 and am a size 8! It's meaningless, you have to just try stuff on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Inez has had several pairs of Native shoes (little slip on tennis shoe style ones and also some boots). They're nice and light and less clunky looking than Crocs (although the Crocs rainboots are awesome). The best shoes we had when she was first walking were these random ones my mom got new from a thrift store for a dollar. They were a Japanese brand called Miki House and when I went to try and get here a bigger pair I found out they are like over $100! Thrift score of the century.

New Balance, Puma and Adidas all make leather-free shoes in tiny sizes (we had a pair of NB that I think were a 6 or a 7). I've also had good luck at Target and H&M, although the quality is not anything amazing, obviously. I'm definitely planning to reuse shoes. Most of Inez's were only worn for a short time and are nowhere near worn out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

<<<still astounding that Sven is walking. Having so much of that "wait, isn't he a teeny tiny baby" feeling wrt PPK babies lately. :)

We too, are going to get some "real" shoes soon. We got some fab moccasins from a lady (a vegan!) on Etsy, but now that she's tearing across the playground on her own, I think we need something with real soles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Violet has a pair of Chooze, whose gimmick is that they don't match, and I would totally recommend those for early walkers who have graduated past "moccasin." They're marketed as vegan and are super-cute:

http://www.choozeshoes.com/Dance-in-Pur ... Od50KUsrOE

She also has a pair of sparkly purple Vans, which she wears these days (they're sized smaller, but are actually larger, go figure). The soles are a little bit thick so I wouldn't recommend them really early on, necessarily, but they look awesome and she loves them. I don't know if they're specifically labelled 'vegan' anywhere but they're canvas/fabric/rubber and as far as I can tell contain no animal products.

http://www.amazon.com/Vans-Classic-Todd ... er+glitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So many great suggestions! Thanks all! I love the Native shoes for warmer weather, they'll be perfect for the summer. The Chooze are super cute too. I think we'll try an athletic style first and then branch out. My husband came home and saw the baby Pumas up on the monitor and got pretty psyched about them. I also saw Vans in store and they were absolutely adorable, but I'm glad that my intuition was correct that they would be harder for a new walker.

So glad I can reuse these things too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh man, I'm in love with my own Bogs boots and I'm definitely going to request those baby Bogs from Scarlett's grandparents next winter!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Can I threadjack and talk about baby foot pong?

Violet is 110% adorable from head to toe, but she does get kinda stinky feet. I know part of the problem is that I don't always put her in socks, especially during the summer, mostly because she just takes them off anyway and we had a hot summer here so they weren't necessary around the house. (We used to use sock-ons but I don't think they even make them for 18mo+ sizes) When nursing she shoves her feet into my nose and that's awesome.. but I'm more wanting to make sure that I'm not doing anything nasty/horrible/bacteria-laden to her feet by putting her in shoes with no socks. I also want to keep her feet warm with something she can't take off! Any suggestions, either for toddler foot destinking or for nonremovable socks?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The Chooze are *awesome*

No suggestions about stinky feet, we haven't run into that yet. We go totally barefoot in the house year-round (no shoes for anyone because dirt/lead, no socks for babies because of slipperiness), so Malka may not be in shoes often enough to cause a stink. I found the Pumas design to be ideal for keeping socks on, because if you can't get your shoes off, you can't get your socks off. Now, of course, Malka can also get the shoes off, so no help there. Really I just don't put the kid in shoes unless she's likely to be walking around somewhere out of the house, because she won't take off her shoes when walking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

attipas! i don't have any for z, cos it's summer here and we live in the countryside and it's all soft green grass and flowers, but i was thinking about getting some because they are specifically designed for toddlers, with their funny way of walking with their toes and stuff, and their vegan. they look funny in the pictures, but they look cuter when you see them in pictures with an actual toddler foot in them ;) http://www.attipas.com.au/shop/baby-shoes/#.UOljK7-5LJx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Can you show me which baby pumas you are talking about? It was very hard to find baby shoes that are vegan and suitable for my daughter. She has tiny feet and was walking with 11,5 months, and most of the shoes in her size were not suitable for walking. I bought some shoes at H&M but the soles are pretty thick, so other shoes are very welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

These are the Pumas:
http://www.amazon.com/Puma-Drift-Crib-I ... sbs_shoe_1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

https://www.stonzwear.com/velkommen.htm?PriceCat=6 Look great! Littlemap isnt walking yet, but we figured we would get these.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

http://www.zappos.com/puma-kids-whirlwi ... steel-grey

I just got these Pumas from Zappos today!! I love that they have a removable insert with the outline of a foot that you can hold up to your baby's foot to see if they're the right size or not. The shoes are totally adorable, but Sven hates them so far. It's like putting a harness on a cat. He has forgotten how to walk and just slithers on the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

That's such a good idea - the foot insert, I mean, not forgetting how to walk and slithering on the ground. ;)

I want to take V to a children's shoe store to get properly sized, but I only know of Stride Rite, and I don't super love their brands.. feh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Do the Chooze shoes have a fairly flexible sole? They look like it from the photos, but I've never seen them in person. They're so cute!! I have the hardest time finding good vegan toddler shoes that are also good for foot development.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

They're thick but pretty flexible, it's a very soft rubber. Actually I think most of the thickness might be padding. I mean, they're not like the leather-soled ones or anything but they're...bendy. I thought they were really good as her first shoes after Isabooties, since I couldn't find any thicker soled nonleather moccasin type shoes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

How long did it take your kids to adjust to shoes? We are still a no go here. I just try to have him wear them a little every day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

A long time, keep trying!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am 
Nooch of Earl

Does adjusting mean not taking them off randomly? Because if so we're still not adjusted. Violet actually LOVES putting her shoes on though because she associated it with going outside - same with her coat I just bought like a week ago. She already knows that putting it on means fun and she'll actually bring her shoes over, I think in the hopes that putting her shoes on is what actually causes leaving the house rather than the other way around.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks! Right now he has a pair of vegan tiny TOMS that my brother got him for birthday.

For anyone in cold climates, Stonz booties are great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

thanks for this thread, lots of good ideas here. E is still in his soft soled shoes because he doesn't play much outside apart from when he was at daycare. We do have bogs that are super cute for when he plays in the cold/wet/ or snow. But I know we have to get some hard soled shoes soon for him very soon.

Our soft soled shoes I love love love. They are called little pitter pat and she is on etsy. She has tons of fabrics and makes them to order so you can get pretty much anything you could want. They came super quick too! O h and the best thing about them is I got them when he was 7/8 months and he is 14m now and they still have room to grow.