| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GuineaPig wrote:
Today was a banner day in eating! I thought I would be more sad that guineapiglet is weaning more and more but I'm so happy to see her growing and independent that a few loss nursing's in a day is no big deal.

Breakfast: steel-cut oatmeal and persimmons
Lunch: Sofrito baked tofu and cinnamon scented Japanese sweet potatoes (she ate so much the poor dog had no left over scraps to munch on, he looked so sad and dissapointed)
Snack: Oatmeal animal crackers and a persimmon
Dinner: a deconstructed taco made with soy curls and red chile/tomato taco sauce, avocado, and a whole wheat tortilla with lots and lots of papaya for dessert.

I have a little snack section of the pantry set aside for her and now she knows where it is so when she wants a snack she'll reach into the pantry, take out the snack she wants then hand it to me for me to open. She tickles me.

Can I come over to eat, too?!! That all sounds so good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thanks TheCrabbyCrafter!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Apple slices and almond butter
Quinoa, steamed veggies, black beans
Moroccan-spiced pumpkin soup, red lentils

I thought the soup was delicious (from quick fix vegan). Will smiled a funny smile with every bite, so I'm not sure of his exact verdict.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 am 
Semen Strong

Bumping! I love all the ideas I used to get on here!

Breakfast: We have been using the Rotation Rule for breakfast and it means that on alternating days she gets: oatmeal with dried fruit/tofu scramble with toast or corn tortillas / granola/cereal, frozen berries and yogurt and on Sundays we have waffles. Every now and again we'll have toast - either noochy toast, avocado toast or PB toast.

Soups: We have been eating a lot of soups. She has been loving the chickpea, cabbage and wild rice soup from the PPK recipe section (I use 4 cups stock, 2 cups water to cut down the salt and I toss a half cup of lentils in for extra protein while everything else cooks and it melts into the soup. Its stewy enough for her to eat handfuls of the cabbage, whole baby carrots and the garbanzos and slurps the clear soup off her spoon. Its been our go to flu fighter.

We also do white bean soup, that she loves and eats with noochy toast. And an African Peanut Stew over quinoa.

I'm thinking soups may be our thing this winter - you make a bunch really easily (very little prep time etc needed) and its very kid friendly.

Any good soupy suggestions?

ETA: GP I love the snack section idea!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made Isa's butternut squash alfredo last night, and Ezra loved it! He's definitely in a pro-eating stage right now, which I love. I can't stand it when it seems like he lives off crackers and coconut milk yogurt for weeks and weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I need to go back and read through this for some good baby foods for Sierra! she likes purees just fine but I'd like to do some more babyled weaning stuff...only has 2 teeth though so I'm not going to be offering her most of our foods just yet.

anyway I got to spend a good part of the day with D and she ate:
blueberry pancakes (I make the Vegan Diner whole grain mix and she LOVES it) + extra blueberries
about 1/3 of my bagel melt consisting of baby spinach, portobellos and Daiya
tofu scramble with more portobellos and some potatoes

after her nap (or I should say "confinement to her room so Papa can have a break") she'll eat:
porridge of lentils and brown rice + cubes of roasted kabocha squash
ETA (because how could I forget): a choc chip cookie from Vive Le Vegan plus hemp milk
probably a bunch of peanuts and raisins
saltado (saucy spicy seitan + oven fries!) and lacinato kale for dinner
an apple or clementine before bed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Inez requested (and ate half of) a raw carrot as part of her breakfast because she was pretending to be a horse. Now if only she would pretend to be someone who will eat oatmeal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Okay, if your kid likes mushrooms, I cannot recommend JENNA's Mushroom Cream Sauce highly enough. Leela was SO excited by our dinner (http://good-good-things.com/2013/01/mus ... ce-recipe/) that she was signing "more" before we even started eating and then started to dance. She finished her bowl, superquick and then came for ours. It was so good!

Today was:

Oatmeal with dried cranberries, a touch of maple syrup and almond milk (forgot the flax seeds I generally add)
Trader Joe's Gigantes (big white beans in a tomato sauce) on sprouted toast
Mushroom cream sauce with pasta and broccoli

I am not big on giving her food to snack on, because I feel like she eats plenty at the three meals and that stuff is way more nutritious. But maybe I need to revise that assumption and find quick and nutritious prepared snacks for her.

Whenever we have playdates everyone brings stuff, and she loves it. She had lentil crisps and veggie sticks with JENNA yesterday and we now keep the dried blueberries from TJ's around because she loves them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thank for the mushroom sauce recommedation. If there's two things that Guineapiglet loves it's pasta and mushrooms! Then again, she's addicted to carbs so anything that involves a starch she's all over - brown rice, muffins, whole wheat bread, crackers, pasta she's never turned a carb down! I'm going through a muffin phase so we've been eating muffins for breakfast and snack a lot lately - bran muffins, blueberry muffins, pineapple muffins, sun butter muffins, i'm thinking of making some savory muffins this weekend to add to the mix. We usually eat 1/2 and then freeze 1/2 for later - endless sully of muffins!

Today:
Breakfast: Bran Muffin and Strawberries (sometimes I swear we eat like little old ladies in this house)
Snack: Homemade animal crackers and Plum Organics Red Cremes (made with rice milk, these things are so addictive. I ate a bag by myself)
Lunch: No clue - I didn't check the board at school but I'm sure it was something yummy
Snack: When I picked her up from school today it looked like they were munching on some type of pesto penne pasta primervera. I so want the school chef's recipe. She manages to make pesto without nuts and, of course, without dairy - I can't imagine a pesto without pine nuts but she makes it happen!
More Snacks: Mango and sun butter bites
Dinner: Black Bean Tamales and butternut squash

Tofulish it definitely couldn't hurt to add snacks to your LO's diet. 3 meals and 3 snacks a day are recommended for kids (3 meals, 2 snacks for adults). Snacks are what you make them. The best snacks are fruits and veggies or a whole grain snack or a combo of the three. This week I've done strawberries and mango a lot as morning snack and some type of nut butter on toast/english muffin/cracker or some bites of chopped steamed veggies for afternoon snack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I really like checking out this thread as a nanny, but my charge isn't vegan so I don't often have much to share. He loves everything I eat, and always sidles up to me when I sit down to a meal to make sure he's gets his share (even if he's just had his). Just wanted to share that this week, he asked for broccoli not one but TWO days in a row for lunch! And for one of those he was eating pasta and fresh tomatoes (a fave) and stopped in the middle to sign "more". I was confused because he still had plenty of both on his plate, but then he screamed "BROCCOLI!!!" (well he's two, sounds more like "brogggleee" but I knew what he meant). Then he waited patiently while I cooked it. He's the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 am 
Semen Strong

That is too cute abelskiver!

I was realizing that although she doesn't eat snacks, but she does BF through the day. So maybe those are her snacks. I really love BFing so I am loath to introduce anything to break her from the boobyhabit. My new goal is BFing till 2...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 am 
Inflexitarian

Don't worry! Even with the introduction of snacks your nursing relationship can still go strong! But you're right, nursing is a perfect snack more nutritious than anything else you could offer her.

I've resigned to the fact that my body isn't going to be my own for a very very long time. I'm imagining that gpiglet will be nursing far into her 3rd year and by then I'll be contemplating adding a sibling to the mix so I'll have to go through everything all over again . Right now my only goal is to not have to tandem nurse.

As for breakfast this morning - pineapple muffins, spinach crustless quiche, and strawberries
AM Snack - she raided the snack pantry and ended up with some O's, Little Cremes, and Carrot Rice Cakes
Now she's down for her nap, black bean tamales when she wakes up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:42 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Honestly, in my own experience with V, offering snacks means she eats less at meals, not that she nurses less.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, in mine too. I get frustrated when after a long playdate of eating muffins, Cheerios and other snacks, she doesn't eat much of her dinner.

Today:
breakfast: sunflower butter on toast with a side of noochy tofu
Lunch: chickenless nuggets in a mandarin sauce with broc (TJ's) over harvest grains (TJs). She likes it so much she is just chowing down silently :)
Dinner: Artichoke pesto over pasta

I sometimes feel bad about how much soy she eats, and then I remember that soy isn't bad for you ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:11 pm 
Chip Strong

Today Scarlett ate a few bites of steamed sweet potato and a few bites of applesauce. Haha, so far I'm just pretending to have a kid who eats solid food, but reading all the stuff your babies eat is getting me excited!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are going to be starting some solids soon too! I am gleaning ideas from this thread already. We are going to start with purees, but since he is 6 mo I think pretty soon some little soft fingerfoods will be on the menu. I was staunchly devoted to not starting solids for 6 months and it has been hard to wait because I want to see him experience all the new tastes and textures out there - we will make the mark in 1 week!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

After breakfast things took a turn around here and gpiglet didn't really want to eat much. So she nibbled on stuff for the rest of the day here and there and constantly (I mean CONSTANTLY asked for "leche") to the point that I finally reached into the freezer stash and gave her a bottle so I could sit and rest without a small person attached to me. But looking back on the day she did get a good mix of food. After her nap she had 1/4 of a small tamale, then we went to a birthday party where she ate a couple slices of orange, pita chips and hummus. When we got home she had some sun butter bites, ate the broccoli off my pizza and 1/2 fig.

Good luck to all those starting solids soon! It's such an adventure. I remember anticipating gpiglet's first bite! Food is such an expression of who were are and it's so fun passing that on to the next generation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm 
Semen Strong

GuineaPig wrote:
Food is such an expression of who were are and it's so fun passing that on to the next generation.

I love this.

Good luck to all <3 Its so much fun.

I ended up with a zucchini that was going off, so I made Harvest Grains in a pesto with broccoli and zucchini and she ate a good amount. And a yogurt pop for teething. She has her 4th molar coming through. Artichoke pasta will have to wait for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:00 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Oh my poor kid today. He had a AB&J (with flax and blackstrap molasses) for breakfast. A banana after the gym. Lunch was pretzels with hummus, strawberries, and grape leaves (he just eats the rice). Offered him some of the molasses bars from 500 vegan recipes, but he wasn't into it today, and then we had pasta with a spicy "sausage" sauce (aka leftovers), and roasted asparagus. At least he ate some pasta.

I think he is getting his 2 year molars, or he is getting sick, or both. He really hasn't been eating much lately.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:14 pm 

I've been doing a lot more baking lately, making breads and muffins and such. My copy of vegan lunchbox has been getting a lot of play. I have made the broccoli tofu calzones twice and they are well received. The recipe calls for eight calzones, but I made 16 to make mini calzones that babynut can pickup easily. Whole grain muffins have been a good breakfast and snack food that doesn't take me very long to make. I've also made fake Ethiopian bread which is quick and yummy. Baked falafel is still a favorite, with hummus and pita.

Last night we had baked beans with seitan over rice and she loved that. I am so happy whenever she gets excited to eat beans.

Tonight I made mini pizzas with seitan pepperoni and daiya. She liked it okay, but was shoveling the steamed broccoli in by the fistful. You never know from meal to meal how opinions will fall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Butternut we've had the identical experience with pizza and broccoli in this house. Made homemade pizza dough, sauce, bought some seitan pepperoni from a local vendor and topped it with daiya and broccoli and after all my hard work all she has wanted is the broccoli on top for the last two days. Sigh...Vegan kiddos I tell you, shun all the fake stuff to go straight for the greens :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

Last few days have been OK.

Breakfast: blueberry pancakes. Blueberries were picked out.
Second breakfast: cinnamon applesauce in her beaba squeeze thing, a few peanut butter pretzels
Lunch: leftover mac & teese, watermelon pieces, mary's gone crackers
Dinner: nooch'n'panko-breaded tofu sticks with marinara, animal crackers for dessert

Breakfast: oatmeal
Second breakfast: pear squeeze fruit
Lunch: Candle frozen seitan piccata & spinach rice, cornmeal-breaded fried okra
Dinner: asian noodles and vegetables

Breakfast: O's, banana-PB-soymilk smoothie
Second breakfast: banana-peach-somethingorother squeeze fruit
Lunch: BBQ tofu and cucumber-avocado maki
Dinner: barley veg soup, ritz crackers. Spoonfuls of peanut butter because she got impatient waiting for dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Oh god, I feel terrible when I read about all the great stuff you are all making for your babies! I really should try to make more exciting food for my daughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm 

What do you guys like from Appetite for Reduction (I think several folks here have it, yeah?). I just picked it up after Christmas and there is so much awesome looking stuff in there! My "new year" is just around the corner and I've decided a few days ago that it's time to find the old me that gotten eaten up by the fat girl. Freya's slightly finicky though, so would love to hear what your babies like from there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

Audrey wrote:
blueberry pancakes (I make the Vegan Diner whole grain mix and she LOVES it)

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I had totally overlooked that recipe and I tried it this morning and it was a hit. I love that it's a mix you can just keep on hand, too.

Breakfast was blueberry pancakes. She had a few raisins and peanuts as a snack. Lunch was soba noodles with broccoli, peas, carrots and peanut sauce, some cold chickpeas (her favorite) and chocolate soy milk. Dinner will be... something.

refinnej, my daughter loves the 40 cloves of garlic thing (chickpeas and broccoli) and she really liked the tempeh helper, too. I don't cook out of AFR a ton lately, but she's like pretty much everything I've offered her from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next