| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
i know this is a bit off topic, but do you experience discomfort when you eat peanuts? you couldn't make me eat peanuts for a million dollars. i felt soooo awful when i did, definitely not full anapholatic shock, but so much chest pressure and my throat would tighten up :( i could still breathe, but i felt awful.

I show up as allergic on allergy tests, and I haven't tested this theory fully, but I think this awful rash I get on my thighs and stomach is related to eating peanuts. I definitely don't have an oral allergy. They might make me gassy too? More so than usual anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the rash could be. food allergies can manifest them in unusual ways.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I didn't make the baked tofu for the Massaman curry, I just dry-fried some tofu in a non-stick pan with cooking spray and added some soy sauce at the end. Then I tossed that in. I thought it was EXCELLENT. I don't even think I will bother with baking the tofu for this next time.

And yes, I though the broccoli and the tomatoes sounded weird, so I left them out! only green beans, extra potatoes and I added in some frozen peas at the end (not sure how authentic that is, but I love peas and often add them at the end of curry recipes like this)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

quark wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
quark wrote:
Man, now I feel bad for thinking the massaman was just okay. What is wrong with me?

so you didnt have a religious experience???? ;-)

No!

Among other things, I was so confused by the instruction to throw in the cherry tomatoes at the end... am I the only person who thinks adding raw cherry tomatoes to a curry is incredibly odd and unappetizing?

But I'm glad other people are having orgasmic experiences with it! I just wanted to have one too... oh well, the yassa tofu really did it for me:o)

i didnt do the cherry tomatoes because my husband HATES tomatoes and when ive bought takeout massaman curry i dont really like the cooked cherry tomatoes.

i thought it was weird that the directions seem to think broccoli will be cooked in two minutes so i left it in for longer so it was actually cooked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Did anyone add the tomatoes to the massaman curry?

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I added tomatoes! Not cherry tomatoes, though, just regular ones. I love tomatoes, I'd never leave them out of anything!

Last edited by Shukriyya on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Inflexitarian

Just me....?

Okay, this explains so much, because I really liked the sauce and the baked tofu, but the final result was meh. I'm going to make it again sans broccoli and tomatoes and maybe add some more fu and potatoes or peas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:
Did anyone add the tomatoes to the massaman curry?

I did, but I think I'd prefer it without.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I made the Asian baked tofu today--it was very good and easy to make! I only added a small pinch of cayenne as I can't tolerate a ton of heat. I did line my pan with foil, but didn't have a problem with the sauce burning as some have mentioned. I used a 9x13 baking sheet, which left some room to spare around the tofu. Maybe my oven runs cooler? I don't think I've checked my oven temp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I didn't add the tomatoes either! My husband thinks hot tomatoes are gross.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

bookwormbethie wrote:
do y'all think i could sub sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter the massaman calls for? i'm allergic to all nuts.

Technically, peanuts aren't nuts. But I'm guessing you know that already and also know that you are still allergic to peanuts. Anyway, I am not allergic, I just hate peanuts and usually sub sunflower butter for peanut butter in recipes. It should work great!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Haha, I've made the massaman curry like a million times and I only included the tomatoes the first time. Broccoli does cook in two minutes though! I usually let mine cook for even less time than that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:15 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Chicki wrote:
I didn't make the baked tofu for the Massaman curry, I just dry-fried some tofu in a non-stick pan with cooking spray and added some soy sauce at the end. Then I tossed that in. I thought it was EXCELLENT. I don't even think I will bother with baking the tofu for this next time.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I will be using the tomatoes and broccoli since I got them in the shopping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 am 

I made the Bahn Mi for lunch. Oh M Frickin' Gee. Bloody divine. My tofu wasn't extra firm and I don't have a press so it was a lot softer than it should have been and I only had a loaf of rosemary olive bread rather than a baguette so I had it as an open sandwich but it was damned impressive.
I also made a mess up and forgot to add the madras to the broth mix so had to add it in near the end.

I'm having a total mouthgasm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

creep wrote:
I show up as allergic on allergy tests, and I haven't tested this theory fully, but I think this awful rash I get on my thighs and stomach is related to eating peanuts.

If you're willing to experiment try organic. I get a rash from conventional peanuts, but have no problem with organic ones. This makes sense to me because of the amount of pesticides used. I do have known sensitivities to some pesticides. For instance I can't eat Spanish tomatoes (which means no tomatoes for a large part of the year).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fruitbat wrote:
creep wrote:
I show up as allergic on allergy tests, and I haven't tested this theory fully, but I think this awful rash I get on my thighs and stomach is related to eating peanuts.

If you're willing to experiment try organic. I get a rash from conventional peanuts, but have no problem with organic ones. This makes sense to me because of the amount of pesticides used. I do have known sensitivities to some pesticides. For instance I can't eat Spanish tomatoes (which means no tomatoes for a large part of the year).

Just peanuts and not other conventional produce?

Interesting though, I'll keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The bahn mi is so amazing! And the pickles! I want to put them on everything! I also added slices of avocado to the sandwich and it was just so crazy good! The scramble was even good on its own, since all of it didn't fit in the roll.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:38 pm 

So I realised I could use the bag of fried tofu I had in the massaman rather than the baked tofu. I also got lazy and used store bought chinese 5 spice. Despite all that laziness it turned out really good. It will be definitely made again.

I used the broccoli... I just chopped it small enough and left it in for 5mins rather than 2. It added a nice crunch to the curry. I also added the cherry tomatoes. I loved them in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yes! Tomato lovers unite! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

So, I ate some leftovers with the tomatoes and broccoli picked out, and it was better, but I still didn't love it. I think it reminds me too much of this spicy potato curry I make all the time rather than Massaman curry. If I could get it through my head that it's not like other Massaman curries I'd probably love it (I love that potato curry!). I might try again with more peanut butter....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made a couple of things from here this weekend..

pickled red onions: really basic, but really good. I made these for taco night and everyone approved.

carrot-semolina halvah: this was good, but I think my cardamom must be super strength or something because it was all I could taste. I'll probably make this again because I always seem to have carrots around, but will definitely add less cardamom next time.

pistachio date quinoa salad: amazing!! I just had my third bowl of this, and I can't believe how good it is. I made a few adjustments - used a whole can of chickpeas, steamed and chopped collard greens instead of spinach, and shallot instead of onions. Looking forward to having this for lunch this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I loved the tomatoes in the massaman curry!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yes, the massaman curry is amazing, and no, I did not use the tomatoes. We don't think it needs tomatoes, either. Perfect just the way it was

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Does anyone know if Indonesian sweet soy sauce is the same as Thai? I have managed to gather all the others and my local shop has an Indonesian one. Otherwise I'll probably have to get the sweet one online.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I just read this whole thread to see if anyone else made the Ethiopian, because I had problems with the injera, and the one other person who made it didn't make the injera. I couldn't get it to cook right. I think maybe the yeast didn't activate. No matter how long I kept it in the pan it didn't get to a good texture - it was just kind of slimy and gross. I ended up throwing it away and just making quinoa because people were arriving for dinner and I didn't have time to start over. But other than that, everything was amazing and it tasted like an Ethiopian restaurant! I did the spice blend and the buttery oil the day before, and then everything else came together pretty quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 39  Next