| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245 ... 1872  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm afraid to throw away my too-large undies that are still in good shape, because I'm afraid I'll get fat again. Or more likely, pregnant and therefor larger, if not "fat."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:

You pretty much just articulated my life.

Awkward twins!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
I'm afraid to throw away my too-large undies that are still in good shape, because I'm afraid I'll get fat again."

This is pretty much why I have 400 pairs of pants and only 2 that actually fit me. I keep them for my ever changing weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did finally get rid of all my too-big pants, and I wear my pants on the snugger side, so if I gain weight, I'm shiitake out of luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I feel like I am getting sick and I am terrified it is the flu. (I haven't had a flu shot yet. I was planning on trying to get one next week.) I went from feeling perfectly fine to achy/congested/tickly throat/exhausted in the span of about 5 minutes. Noooooooo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

Hellooooo Friday night! I've missed you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Bradford, Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Paris.

You know.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

T. doesn't think his family was rich even though they grew up with a live-in nanny and he and his sister were involved in this exchange program where they got to travel the world! I think it's because relative to other kids he grew up with, they weren't as well off. But coming from where I came from, that's damn rich!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

That's rich to me too! But then I have a funny interpretation of 'rich' based on what i've learnt via here and elsewhere...

It is all relative, I guess? Where I grew up my family would have been considered impoverished. But then I went to school with a bunch of middle class (i think middle class is different in the US than here?) kids who's parents earned a shit-ton of money. By shit-ton of money I mean over £30K. Which... is probably pennies to many people here. Urgh. It's hard, this stuff. it's difficult to talk about.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:01 pm 
WRETCHED

When I grew up, I had a range of experiences from damn poor to 'comfortable'. We lived in a poor neighborhood but for the later part of my childhood, we did pretty good for ourselves. I owe it to my mom who worked 2 full time jobs at one point, then 1 full time job and 1 part time job. We also were able to get food from people around us that grew it including my grandparents. We never used heat and didn't have AC. I don't know how much money exactly my mom made but it was probably around $15k (give or take - less in the earlier years, more in the later years). I think around the end of my college, she was around $20k and that was after years of raises. At that point, she was married to my stepfather so they had a combined income.

I remember one time there was a church in the neighborhood that would hand out food because there were so many poor people with kids to feed. I was walking near it once and they insisted I take a bag of groceries. I told them that we didn't need it, but they didn't believe me and thought maybe I didn't know or something. My mom ended up giving the food to a family that she knew needed it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
Mediocre Tart

We were 'average' in the Thatcher-ravaged town I lived in as a wee kid. Then we moved (because of the demolition of Ravenscraig to a wee village surrounded by quarries. And then I went to high school with a bunch of middle-class kids who had teevees in their bedrooms and whos parents had cars. And that was pretty shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh we had a car, it led to many amusing incidents as well. Luckily we never really had to drive it long distances.

In high school, one girl I knew (she was part of a club type thing I was doing, not a friend) got a brand new car for her 16th birthday and I was like what the hell. Her parents decided to present it to her on the day when a bunch of people were at her house doing something for the club.

Meanwhile many people in my neighborhood dropped out of school to get jobs to help support their families, many were working under the table due to the need to skirt legal requirements as there are restrictions on how many hours one can work before 18 and limits on working prior to being 16.

Last edited by linanil on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
Mediocre Tart

It's still unbelievable to me that Thatcher isn't dead. I mean, for fork's sake. I would never normally wish anyone dead, but she has a special forking rotten place in my heart. And they had better bury her in an unmarked grave unless they want the whole of Scotland and the North of England to stage a dance party in the cemetery.

I don't care if that sounds horrible. No one can reduce me to tears like that forker.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

paprikapapaya wrote:
So, my photoshoot yesterday went great, the pictures turned out well and I was pleased with the outcome.

Then another run-in with Douchey Co-Worker happened. You guys know the guy I mean, right? The one who harasses me and bullies me? Yeah. Well, he did it again. Then he stormed out of the office. So it's a new day, and I'm sitting here waiting to see how this will play out today. This guy is exhaaaausting. And like, he's older than my father, and yet he behaves like an absolute child towards me and all my co-workers. The snarky email he sent another co-worker yesterday over the same "issue" is priceless and so immature.

I'm sure you've thought about this, but can you get HR involved? The way he treats is you is absolutely unacceptable and if your boss isn't going to do his(I think) job then HR should be doing theirs. Sorry you keep having to deal with this crasshole!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I just randomhappenstanced upon this and it's funny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

DarthCupcake wrote:
I had a crazy uncomfortable wedgie for the first two periods today and now it's my prep period and I can finally pluck it out and LIFE IS SO GOOD.

Ohhh man, this one time I was grocery shopping and my underwear fell down (like my pants were still on, but my underwear had slid off my butt) and I had to do my whole grocery shopping like that because what the hell else was I gonna do?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

What is with all you over achievers doing your taxes before January is even half over? I don't think we even have received all the necessary forms to do our taxes yet. But I feel like the universe is grading me on taxes and the later I get them done the lower my grade will be. What is the matter with me?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

choirqueer wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:
I had a crazy uncomfortable wedgie for the first two periods today and now it's my prep period and I can finally pluck it out and LIFE IS SO GOOD.

Ohhh man, this one time I was grocery shopping and my underwear fell down (like my pants were still on, but my underwear had slid off my butt) and I had to do my whole grocery shopping like that because what the hell else was I gonna do?

This has happened to me! I think the offending undies are gone now but I've spent many a school day like that, waiting for my chance to run to the bathroom and pull them back up.

I have a pretty huge underwear collection starting. I have a fear of running out of undies with no way to do laundry and it's not about to be realized. I have undies for every occasion, in fact.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think I finally know where I want to be, but I have no idea how to get there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

interrobang?! wrote:
That's rich to me too! But then I have a funny interpretation of 'rich' based on what i've learnt via here and elsewhere...

It is all relative, I guess? Where I grew up my family would have been considered impoverished. But then I went to school with a bunch of middle class (i think middle class is different in the US than here?) kids who's parents earned a shit-ton of money. By shit-ton of money I mean over £30K. Which... is probably pennies to many people here. Urgh. It's hard, this stuff. it's difficult to talk about.

I went to see Toshi Reagon in Prospect Park one time. She made some statements about being anti-war and pro-equality or some such and the audience filled with upper class and rich gave great big cheers each time she called on people to be more tolerant or more anti-war (this was back in the days of Bush and entering Afghanistan). And she then went on to talk about how she didn't think we were on this planet to make our own lives as comfortable as possible, that we should also be on this planet together to help each other out and to be kind to others and not work so much on our own comfort but to help others. And that audience barely made a sound and she called them on it and that is a moment I will always remember. And it really sums up a lot about the US and class for me. And maybe that doesn't relate to your post real well, but I think it's a nice story and I've tried to live better since I heard that.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
What is with all you over achievers doing your taxes before January is even half over? I don't think we even have received all the necessary forms to do our taxes yet. But I feel like the universe is grading me on taxes and the later I get them done the lower my grade will be. What is the matter with me?!

We have to do the self assessment online by end of Jan for the year ending the April before. The bill doesn't come until later in the year. I'm not over achieving: I'm two weeks off getting fined for slacking!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:57 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Moon wrote:
I think I finally know where I want to be, but I have no idea how to get there.

Where! Sounds intriguing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm off to get EVEN MORE OF MY HAIR CHOPPED OFF! Whooooooo! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Growing up I only knew one rich kid. She used to get to go on holidays and lived in a massive house. She was so grounded though and normal. She was expected to work in the summers and weekends once she got to 16. Meanwhile I got to go on one holiday which involved staying in an aunts apartment in London for a few days and I had to squeeze into a bed with my parents.

I'm really praying my dog is not in the mood for an enormous walk today because I'm not. I'm blooming shattered. To top things off my neighbour woke me up this morning calling me to invite me for dinner. I felt bad declining but her cooking is atrocious and flavourless and it's not like I will be able to eat anything anyway! I had to say I already had my dinner cooked since last night but I would call over after.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 am 
Semen Strong

Its always so weird to try and figure out if people you know on the internet have broken up. Their statuses change, they make subtle hints and their partners disappear from photos and photos with their partners disappear. I want to wish you a happy New Year, but I don't know if I should mention your husband...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1239, 1240, 1241, 1242, 1243, 1244, 1245 ... 1872  Next