| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I'm not sure if this applies to anyone here or not, but one of the recent Obamacare rules that went into effect January 1st requires insurance companies to cover the cost of a breastpump for lactating mother's at 100%. I just called and ordered mine (my carrier BCBS fep carries Ameda brand). I have read some insurance companies are trying to find work-arounds such as insisting the order must be placed within 60 days of delivering your child or only offering manual pumps - but I know lots of carriers are playing by the rules and opening access to all their breastfeeding moms!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jildez, that is awesome! What a great feeling that must be!

annas, that is very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Just happened upon a vegan Vitamin D liquid - thought you lactating mamas might be interested for your babes.

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Vegan-Nor ... s=vegan+d3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

Holy awesomeness Ariann! Thanks! On a similar note, has anyone tried the Vitashine vegan D3 spray? Now I can't decide which one to order when our current bottle of non-vegan D runs out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mandy- we are using the global health trax vegan D3 spray. It's kind of gross- it's like spraying a tasteless oil in your mouth- but our baby is still young enough (he's 3 1/2 months now!) that he opens his mouth for anything that goes near it, so it's still easy to give it to him. We try to pretend it's yummy and my sweetheart sometimes takes a spray at the same time to show LittleMap that it is fun for the whole family (I already take a D pill and I don't want to overdose on it so I don't take the spray with him). And it says in small print "made with vitashine" so, yes, we are using the D you asked about :).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am 

Thank you to you milk donors SO SO MUCH. When littlemap was in intensive care before my milk came in he was receiving donated milk and I dreamed of being able to donate, but when I pump I get so little that there's only enough in our freezer for rare occasions when I go out, and now I'm trying to get some stored up for when I go back to work. Thank you for doing what I can't and for providing what my baby needed. Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 am 

Mandy, the brand we use is Pure Vegan, but it's a spray and works great. It doesn't have any sugar, etc but tastes vaguely sweet to me. Freya's been using it since 4 or 5 months old. I take it with her.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

For the last couple days tiny wu wants to nurse in what seems to me to be a new and weird way, but maybe some of you experienced moms can weigh in on it? She's always been a quick eater, short feeds around 12-15 minutes, but lately during the day she wants to just nurse REALLY slowly for about 40 minutes or more. Like she'll fall asleep for a few minutes, suck for a few minutes, sleep, suck, etc. But heaven help us all if I close up shop during one of the mini-sleeps, because she'll wake herself up rooting around for the nipple again. It's the same deal at night--last night she wanted to eat at 2 AM, and I woke up at 3 and she was asleep, but still glommed on. Two minutes after I move away, she wakes up mouthing and rooting again. This goes on all night. I'm pretty sure she's not eating that whole time, but I've never really been able to feel my let-down, plus I am really really sleepy.

So what gives? Is this a mouthy sucky phase (she'll be 3 months next week), a growth spurt, did she catch a bug? I'm all supportive of the bf-ing on cue/demand, but this is wearing me out.

ETA--I'm wondering if my supply is low? How do I know if it is, outside of watching for weight gain?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm 

Scandia- I really think the only truth to low supply is if weight gain is too low. Everything else is a type of normal. Tiny wu might be starting to have gum pain and the milk and/or sucking and/or closeness is giving her comfort. Littlemap is 3 weeks older and he is having gum pain. I froze him some breast milk popsicles to suck on and he LOVES them. He chomps right down and it seems to give him some comfort, or at least its fun enough that it distracts from the pain. Tiny wu is also old enough that if you wanted to give her a pacifier it shouldnt harm your milk production. If you can hear if she is swallowing it should give you a clue if shes really eating all that time or if shes sucking for comfort or closeness.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks, mapmapmap. My general feeling is to let her do her thing, the last few days have just been rough with spending hours and hours nursing day and night. Interesting about the gums--I was thinking maybe a growth spurt, plus maybe some extra need for comfort what with the visitors and hecticness of the holidays. I will try to listen for the swallowing too.

The most recent session was hilarious though. tiny wu just wanted to make eye contact the whole time, which made her smile, which made her fall off, get confused, start sucking again with renewed vigor, and then repeat over and over. Like she wanted to say, "see, I'm cute! Feed me more!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yep, it seems to coincide with teething. E-baby has been doing this for the past 2wks. Sooo tiring!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annasrobbie wrote:
So I'm not sure if this applies to anyone here or not, but one of the recent Obamacare rules that went into effect January 1st requires insurance companies to cover the cost of a breastpump for lactating mother's at 100%. I just called and ordered mine (my carrier BCBS fep carries Ameda brand). I have read some insurance companies are trying to find work-arounds such as insisting the order must be placed within 60 days of delivering your child or only offering manual pumps - but I know lots of carriers are playing by the rules and opening access to all their breastfeeding moms!

This is awesome! I called and checked with my insurance and I think I'm going to be able to get a new one! I just recently broke a piece and was planning to use flex money to buy a new one.... this is even better!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

halp! I have something that sounds like (according to Dr. Google) a milk blister BUT its on the far side of my right boob, like by my armpit! I didnt even notice it, Dahlia pointed it out while I was nursing. It was a flat bump a couple days ago but just now I was sorta fiddling with it and a lot of blood came out. Anyone ever hear of such a thing, not on the nipple? hmmph I really don't want to spend my Saturday at a clinic!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This is awesome! I called and checked with my insurance and I think I'm going to be able to get a new one! I just recently broke a piece and was planning to use flex money to buy a new one.... this is even better![/quote]

I hope that works out for you! I just received my new pump today - It is an Ameda Purely Yours. I used it tonight and it worked great (I got 1.5 ounces more than usual at this time!)

Audrey wrote:
halp! I have something that sounds like (according to Dr. Google) a milk blister BUT its on the far side of my right boob, like by my armpit! I didnt even notice it, Dahlia pointed it out while I was nursing. It was a flat bump a couple days ago but just now I was sorta fiddling with it and a lot of blood came out. Anyone ever hear of such a thing, not on the nipple? hmmph I really don't want to spend my Saturday at a clinic!

I have not - hope it goes away on its own so you don't have to go to the clinic!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I loved my Purely Yours when I had one. I want a double! I am tired of my Medela Swing... takes forever to get 3oz

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am 

Audrey, was your spot white like a milk blister? That sounds a little scary.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 pm 
Chip Strong

Scarlett seems to nurse more and more frequently at night as time goes on and I'm starting to lose it. She obviously isn't actually hungry every hour all night, but seems to look for a boob out of habit every time she wakes up, and so far I've always given it to her whenever she wants it which I'm afraid has created a habit and inability to soothe herself back to sleep any other way. I think she would probably sleep for a much longer stretch if she were in her own room and didn't have instant access to me, but that's not an option until May or June, when we're moving out of our 1 bedroom. Until recently I've just had the attitude that she's a normal young baby and there's no point putting any effort into trying to change her sleeping habits since it probably wouldn't work anyway. Now that she's almost 7 months and I haven't slept more than 2 hours in a row since she was born (and these days she is literally waking up every hour), I need to work on this or I am not going to be able to function. It's not like I'm talking about night weaning her, but the past few days I've just been trying to not give her a boob for a 4 hour stretch or so, but just lying there next to her and trying to see if she'll go back to sleep without it. She gets pissed and I sometimes end up giving her the boob eventually. HELP!!! Any suggestions are welcome! I know this is kind of more of a sleep issue than a breastfeeding issue, but the actual thing I'm trying to change is her breastfeeding habits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Just checking in! I haven't been on the PPK in a while due to a move and getting out of the Navy and being super busy with the holidays. I start college on Monday and I'm at home with Lorelei all the time. I haven't pumped in months! I don't miss it at all, I was so excited to not have to pump three times a day at work anymore. I still breastfeed Lorelei 3-5 times a day. Once in the morning when she wakes up, once before her nap, and once before bedtime. There is usually one to two feeds at night still. She slept through the night for the first time at 15.5 months old (she is 16 months now). I am still supplementing with fenugreek. I feel like I have trouble with my supply if she suddenly decides she wants to breastfeed more and nothing else will do... such as when she is teething. I cannot keep up during those times and we have a rough night here and there. I kind of want to wean her around 18 months but I have no idea how. She is very strong willed. I think I will let things continue to run their natural course since I have no problem breastfeeding her. We have started talking about trying to conceive again maybe in late 2013 which is why I'd like to have her off the breast. I think it would be nice to have a boobie break finally, especially if I'm going to be doing it all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:21 pm 

Oh, nice to hear from you! Glad things are going well both with bf'ing. How cool that you are back in school and at home with Lorelei...sounds like a welcome change from the stressful life you had before. :)

@moo...this is where we were around 7 months too. Freya had only *just* sorted out the whole overactive letdown thing though, and we were getting ready to take a vacation, so we put off any sleep changes/night weaning. I sure wish I knew how to tell when babies really need the physical nourishment/thirst quenching, etc. and when it's "just" comfort. I don't mean to diminish that aspect at all, just that you can comfort them in other ways and maybe discourage the all night buffet. I thought F was too young for night weaning then, but I would've loved to cut down on the number of feedings. Even now, sometimes she chugalugs at night, and I wonder if she's starving.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm 

Stuckunderhere- I have a medela swing- the new version with two bottles, but I think it actually works better when I only do one breast at a time plus then I can read or internet with the free hand, so I'm usually using it in one breast mode. My point being- I get very little milk, and I thought that was a very well respected pump, but you say you get more milk using a different pump? I'm going back to work soon, and if a different pump would make my life better, I'm totally interested in getting a different pump. I know I'm making enough milk because my baby is gaining enough weight, but I only get about 1.5 ounce when I pump, so maybe the pump isn't as effective as it could be?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 pm 

mooo, I am going through the exact.same.thing, except we are not moving and Sierra has her own big crib in an alcove in our room - she just won't sleep in it past midnight and then expects the all night buffet. I wrote a couple weeks ago about starting to fork things up at work because I am sooo tired. We just entered the 8th month of this...some days it's doable and I don't mind that much because I'm used to it, but some days like today I am sore, exhausted and foggy-headed.
I'm afraid I don't have any advice but just wanted to say, I hear ya...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 pm 

also mapmapmap, my body has a terrible reaction to the pump and I've never pumped more than 3oz - most often its just under 2oz - per breast ever. It truly sucks, and I've tried several different pumps...it's just how I am I guess. I can only pump 6 oz while I'm at work and that's not enough for Sierra while I'm gone ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

ugh 3rd post in a row, sorry I've been "unplugged" all weekend - what I have is not a milk blister, but something else I guess. The swelling went down but it's like a flat dry spot with a hole in the middle. I've had something like this before, I suspect it is possibly from bra chafing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Audrey wrote:
also mapmapmap, my body has a terrible reaction to the pump and I've never pumped more than 3oz - most often its just under 2oz - per breast ever. It truly sucks, and I've tried several different pumps...it's just how I am I guess. I can only pump 6 oz while I'm at work and that's not enough for Sierra while I'm gone ever.

I actually just looked this up, because my pumping output is pathetic, and apparently the average per breast pumping output in a session is between .5 and 2 oz. LLL says if you're getting more, you're lucky and probably have overactive letdown or are less than 6 weeks postpartum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Do you do breast compressions while pumping to get everything out?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 115  Next