| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thundershirt for dogs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i may have to invest in one of these for vet visits for this particular dog.

ive only heard people rave about thundershirts so i think it's worth a shot.

has anyone seen one of these in action?
they freak me out.

http://www.thundershirt.com/calmingcap/?gclid=CJXtuLrH4bQCFdKd4AodcFUAVw

we've often joked that our super reactive dog needs horse blinders cause when he SEES another dog regardless of how far or close it is he loses his shiitake.
i guess this doesnt block their vision but is kind of like pulling a thin tshirt over your face. you can see but your vision is less.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LisaPunk wrote:

has anyone seen one of these in action?
they freak me out.

http://www.thundershirt.com/calmingcap/?gclid=CJXtuLrH4bQCFdKd4AodcFUAVw

we've often joked that our super reactive dog needs horse blinders cause when he SEES another dog regardless of how far or close it is he loses his shiitake.
i guess this doesnt block their vision but is kind of like pulling a thin tshirt over your face. you can see but your vision is less.

i didn't know these existed! BUT they look pretty much exactly like the muzzle/mask we used to have for one of our cats, who was super cranky at the vet. he was all black, too, so he looked hilariously spooky with it on (and adorable when his little pink tongue would flick out occasionally). it tOtally helped, though, times a million.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know of a couple of dogs who used calming caps. One dog was super reactive in the car, barking at people, animals, other cars, etc. With the calming cap, he didn't notice outside things as much and was able to focus enough for his human to do behaviour modification (as opposed to freaking out too much to take a treat the entire time he was in the car). But you have to do a lot of work to acclimate the dog to the cap. I am sure most dogs would flip out of you just tried to stick it on their face!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Signe needs a Calming Cap!! I think it could really help her! And it might look so weird that people will actually stay away from us on walks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 am 
Saggy Butt

My favorite thing about the thundershirt is that i get to say "Thundershirts Roooar!" every time i put it on my dog. And he looks super cute in it.
I don't notice a big difference in him when he wears it though. He still gets anxious, fear-barks and hunkers down in his crate but i put it on him in the hopes that it's calming him a little bit at least.

Those caps reminded me that i've looked into doggie earplugs before. I swear, if my dog couldn't hear, he would be so much less fearful. It would totally change his life!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my issue with the calming cap is i wonder if it would make my personal dog situation worse. Willy our reactive dog is the most reactive dog on the planet. sight is definitely the worst but if he hears a collar jingle or a dog bark he is immediately on high alert. smells also set him off. there is a particular spot on our walk where he always goes a little bonkers and it's right by a heavily wooded area and i think he smells either coyote or deer. we cant even go back there in February-ish because he just completely melts down and i think that is coyote mating season.

i wonder if the calming cap would work him up more because he wouldnt be able to see as well? also we use a nose harness type collar to walk him so i dont think we could do both.

i think i will invest in the thundershirt for our other dog though who is terrified of the vet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just wanted to mention for those who are cash-strapped...before the Thundershirt was invented some people found good results by putting a tight-fitting t-shirt on their dog. (Thundershirt also refunds your $ for any reason.)

Before Thundershirt I used an ace bandage for a swaddling effect on my thunder phobic dog (just don't make it tourniquet tight, just snug...so you can still get your hand between the dog and bandage.) I'd wrap it around the barrel of his ribcage behind his elbows, crisscrossing a couple of times across the front of his chest and back under the elbow, then up and over his back again. Easier to picture if you give it a try. Anyway, hope that helps.

Thunder phobia in dogs is tricky, lots of variables. But if swaddling helps that is a great thing to do. It is also perfectly ok to comfort someone who is panicking, it does not make it worse (unless maybe you are wigging out yourself). If it helps to speak softly to your dog or hold/stroke her, you'll notice her calm down a bit. Not sure who started the notion that dogs should be ignored when they are acting afraid. (Personally I would want a calm, confident person to put their arm around me and let me know it was going to be fine.) There is no evidence that it is counter-productive and in fact it helps some dogs to have that tactile reassurance.