| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My partner is so awesome thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My partner had some rare free time to himself today and he chose to go thrift shopping to look for winter clothes for Scarlett. I thought that was so sweet. And he found some awesome stuff! Red overalls and a weird hoodie that says "dog club"!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 am 
Semen Strong

My partner was out of town, so today he took the baby and is making me waffles while I watch Bones :) YAY!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Semen Strong

My partner took Leela to Rhyme and Rhythm Time at the Library. I suggested it, he didn't even argue or make a face. Instead he is going to be dancing and singing with a bunch of under 2 year old kiddies and their moms mostly.

I love how open-heartedly he sings and dances with her, even with the RA, which sometimes makes it harder for him. Its really sweet too, because at 6'4" he often gets self-conscious about his size and its nice that he can overcome that and it didn't even seem to be a consideration. He's just happy to be spending time dancing with her :)

I am in bed, drinking coffee in a quiet house and it is BLISS. Like awesome superblissful and quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm 
Semen Strong

She had the best time and is asleep about 90 minutes after they got back. He was adorable - he played with her at the play group, and then when she insisted on going to the playground with her new friends, he obliged even though he HATES the cold. She played until she was freezing and promptly fell asleep. Nice job, partner!

This is the most relaxing day ever so far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My husband surprised me by coming home early and taking us to go get our Christmas tree. Then we had takeout Thai and decorated the tree. I really needed a nice distraction today, so this was perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Over Christmas all 3 of us caught a nasty cold (Giles' first illness!) and my husband who was hit hardest of all (had more of a flu-ish illness) was such a trooper and took on so much of the baby care so i could rest (I also sliced into the tip of my index finger chopping potatoes Christmas eve and had to get stitches so baby care is that much harder for me at the moment.) He drove the whole way from NC to FL so I could try to sleep in the car and has been cooking and cleaning since we got home.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 pm 
Semen Strong

My husband gave me a day off to just watch Scrubs :) He made me 3 meals (waffles, pasta with butternut squash and pizza (oh and pie :) ) and I got to eat them in bed. He watched Leela the whole time, besides an hour and a half when he went shopping (during which time the dog and the kid both decided to poop on everything we own).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm 
Impressive boner

Whenever I'm sick or have trouble sleeping Mr8 reads to me until I start to fall asleep. When I was really sick a while back he took time off work to look after me and read to me for hours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My partner has been taking over putting babynut down at night. I read her three books, we nurse, and then he steps in to walk her to sleep. So nice not to be the only one responsible for that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

We're moving tomorrow, Henry has been sick since Christmas, and Adam has taken charge packing up all of our stuff. Right now H is sleeping on me while Adam and his dad pack our uhaul and his stepmom cleans up our kitchen. I'm so incredibly thankful, because H was up most of the night so we're all exhausted and it's way easier for me to be in charge of baby naps than heavy lifting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yesterday morning Sven woke up at 6 and my husband got up with him and let me sleep in. He did all the dishes and cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, tidied up, then they met me back in bed at 9 for some snuggles. Bliss!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

8ball wrote:
Whenever I'm sick or have trouble sleeping Mr8 reads to me until I start to fall asleep. When I was really sick a while back he took time off work to look after me and read to me for hours.

That's so sweet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We had to take tiny wu to the embassy in Copenhagen this week to register her as an American citizen, get a passport, etc. My husband did all the paperwork in advance, took 21 tries at getting a passport photo of her, printed the photos, made copies of her birth certificate, our passports, and our marriage license. And he wore tiny wu on the train ride home so I got to nap for an hour on the train.

All I had to do was translate the Danish birth certificate and pack lunch. He rocks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My husband really is pretty much unfailingly thoughtful and sweet but for my birthday weekend he totally went above and beyond. This morning he insisted I stay in bed and sleep late late late - made me my favorite breakfast. Then suggested I go out and buy the flowers I wanted for our porch garden (got some beautiful poppies and gerbera daisies!). Was taken to my favorite restaurant for lunch and then got to have an afternoon nap with a brand new pillow he had bought for me. When I got up from my nap he said he had to run an errand and came home with HIS EYEBROWS WAXED. This is the ultimate present. He normally has a pretty bushy nearly unibrow that I tease him about and so he prettified just for me!!!! We were also going to go on the ferris wheel at the beach, but between baby with a cold and piggy me eating too much at lunch we decided to save that for tomorrow. I also am now the proud owner of a gift certificate to my favorite day spa for a massage and facial - I won't own it long I can tell you that! Anyway. I just had a lovely day with my husband and baby.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I had a really long day running around with my stepmother, as she bought all the things, while chasing a toddler around a mall. So my husband took her to the shops for the rest of her shopping. They left at 6:30 pm and came back at 10:30 pm, after the stores had closed. He and I both hate shopping, and he did it so I wouldn't have to. He helped her pick about a thousand small things for a thousand different people. It was amazing and very kind.

It also meant that I got to talk to my Dad alone, which I haven't done in nearly 20 years. So that was awesome. My Dad said that he couldn't imagine a better daughter and that he loves and is proud of me. So that was nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish, that is so nice. I'm glad you're having a good visit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Its been an exercise in acceptance for sure! My stepmother and Leela get along really really well, and Leela is in the middle of a full on talking explosion, so my stepmother is really proud and adoring and L is superhappy with her attention.

That said, she has very different ideas on potty learning, and was pretty shaming of L when she peed on the floor. Also,L is so excited by everything that she kind of is forgetting when she needs to pee and didn't poop for 2 days. Part of why I asked B to take my stepmother shopping was because I wanted L to be able to poo - and she went once my stepmom left. My stepmother was telling us that her granddaughter said at 18 months "Mummy, I want to go in the potty. No more diapers." And never had a single accident after that. And she said that she potty trained her own kids by sending them to daycare with no diapers, telling them, either you go in the potty or you get transferred down to the baby group. Her point (which I have heard before) is that its easy to pottytrain 18 month olds and the longer you leave it the worse it becomes.

And my other petty vent is that whenever she comes to the US, she brings the worlds longest shopping list. And then all of the visit time is eaten away by obligations and shopping, and we're all running on her schedule, which doesn't work with a toddler. Today was pretty good - we went pumpkin picking and during L's 2 hour nap in the stroller, we basically went through the mall, shopping and got tons of stuff. When L woke up we went to the carousel and had lunch, but then on the walk home my stepmother was in full shopping frenzy, and Leela was in full run everywhere and be uncontrollable frenzy. So that was a not so fun combo. They're of the school that you just drag your kids along and follow the adult's pace, not that you adjust your pace to a toddler, so for a while yesterday and today, they were so far away from us while I was trying to peel L off something she was obsessed by.

But for the most part its great! I think its the run of the mill, old school versus newer school parenting conflicts that we mostly haven't had to deal with, what with having no family.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am so glad to hear it worked out as well as it did. and especially glad to hear you had some good time with your dad.
[as for the shopping list, this sound is me whistling and trying to disappear into the woodwork, hehe]

we just kind of fell through the door only to have my phone light up with my husband skyping me from out in the country, where he is visiting all the old folks in his family (he and his counsin went to harvest the bamboo shoots, which i usually help them do), who miss us so much. i got to talk to all the old aunties and uncles and it was so wonderful i cried. they are all so genuine, family that sticks together no matter what, and just decent people, and i know that he knew i needed a good dose of that right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 am 
Chip Strong

I've been having sort of a rough time lately with being home full time without any time to myself. On the weekends I feel bad going out because we are either having family time or I want to take Ada out for some one on one time. And for various reasons I really don't want to find some random babysitter. Anyway, after a little emotional meltdown the other night my husband came up with the idea to work a half day from home one day a week and then work a few hours that night after the kids are sleeping. So I would either have a morning or afternoon to go out. He emailed his manager to see if it would be possible so I'm not sure it will actually happen. But it's awesome that he actually went ahead to see if it would be a possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I hope you get some respite, Sashi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's really cool, Sashi! I really, really hope it works out for you and it's so nice of your husband to try to get you some free time. Let us know what happens!

I go to bed early and get up at the crack of dawn to have 2 hours to myself every morning. My sleep schedule got all screwed up when we had some guests around New Year's (I was cooking for 11 and trying to be a polite host, so I was staying up way later than usual) and I have only just now gotten back to my sleep schedule a week later -- I was even crabbier than usual without any time to myself!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sashi, I hope that works out for you!

I'm at home with the kids Monday-Friday my own, and then I work a couple evenings and the weekends, so between getting to spend time with my partner and doing anything else important that I can't do with the kids/without partner, I feel like I also get very little me-time. (And the little I get is relegated to doing my math homework for the course I'm doing online.) J and I have been talking about me working one less evening a week so I have time to get out for a couple hours before the kids go to bed. Also, he let me sleep in with the baby half an hour later than him while he packed his lunch and made me coffee. Yay!

Crabby, I like your idea of morning time. Two hours in the morning without kids sounds awesome. Do they all stay asleep while you have that time?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 pm 
Chip Strong

It's a go! I'm really excited! Starting next week he'll work from home one day (split up between the day and after bed time). I do get some time when the kids nap at the same time and when they go to sleep at night but by the end of the day I'm too wiped out to do anything productive and nap time is pretty unpredictable. Plus it's not like I can go anywhere. I just really need to be able to get out and do something on my own. And start to do things that are not just about the kids.

Bodhi, that's rough with work and a course! That would be awesome if you could get that break one night a week.

Crabby, morning time is a good idea but I am so not a morning person. Ha. Plus I'd probably wake Alice if I got up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah Sashi!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next