| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food at daycare/school
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had a nice meeting with the director of Carlitos' daycare today. Mostly we have been bringing his food in, but as he is getting closer to a year (OMG! Jan 29th!) we are ready to have him transition more to the regular menu. They have vegetarian options but I wasn't sure what was vegan. It was mostly good news. The director brought me to the kitchen to meet with the cooks and go over some ingredients. Their legumes, rice dishes, and veggie burgers all checked out. Even their animal crackers were cool. They even offered to make him stuff (not sure what though - it would feel be weird to ask). Also, they asked if I could give them a few recipes. One of the cooks even has a vegan friend who he helped open a restaurant - who I happen to know from eating there all the time - I even ate there for lunch today! Anyway, all and all it was very positive and it looks like I won't have to make him too much. For now we will still be making stuff as we introduce a different foods, but I am looking forward to not having to do so much work in the future.

Post subject: Re: Food at daycare/school
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh how exciting! I can't believe that Carlito is already almost a year old! And hurrah for them being so veganfriendly.

I feel like almost every kid in our circle has some allergy or sensitivity and its kind of nice that veganism can provide some baseline for children.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's so exciting! How great to be able to pass on a lot of that work to someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome!

I'm a bit worried about this now that Kai is starting a new daycare. They have a meal plan with a vegetarian option, and from the sample menu online it seems like some is ok but not all.

Luckily they let you bring in lunch so that's ok, but it would be nice if I didn't have to make his lunches. I'm also a bit worried that he'll feel left out if not a lot of other kids bring their own lunch.

I already asked the director about it and she said I can get the menu for the month in advance and pick out the things he can eat. Then I guess i will try to make lunches for him similar to what the kids are eating on the other days.

I hope once we start and get talking to them more we'll be able to go in the kitchen like you did and make some suggestions!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If they know there's a demand for it, they might be willing to make more vegan stuff! I would definitely try to talk to the cook/meal planners.