| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela has been grabbing my finger for the last week, to pull me where she wants to go. When I was pregnant, I would dream about having my baby pull me with her tiny baby hand around my finger. And today, she grabbed my finger and Brett's and pulled us into the bedroom, so we could both put her to sleep. We almost cried, it was just so sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:56 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's just that she's above the median curve for height and below it for weight, and has been for a while, maybe 60-65% for height and 25-30% for weight. She is gaining/growing steadily, and is otherwise healthy, so my feeling is that it's OK. Especially since her dad's tall and I'm slight. The health visitor just kept saying not to worry YET, BUT... BUT... which was a bit frustrating.

In any case tw goes in for the first round of vaccinations next week, after turning 3 months, so we'll see what the family doctor says. So far he has been really pleased with her, and maybe not so hung up on weight as the home health visitor is. If he thinks she is doing well then I won't worry about it at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

miss z turns one tomorrow! i can hardly believe it. i had planned a party for her with the little girl who was born 17 hours after her with the same midwife, but on thursday at our playgroup in the park, her mum turns up saying, "oh i probably shouldn't have brought h today, she has this funny rash" and show us her belly which was covered in what looked like measles. MEASLES! and then she tells us that she's going up to ask the pharmacist what he thinks. the pharmacist. (who is incidently my cousin, and definitely not a doctor). le sigh. so i spent 2 days thinking fork, measles, i hope she decides to not go to the party (at my house.) i can't have a potentially infectious baby in a room full of babies. etc etc. i didn't want to call her and tell her not to come. coz, you know, telling someone you think they are germy and can't come to their own birthday party is an awkward thing to do. so i just waited around for her to cancel. and she didn't. so i cancelled the party. and today she calls and apparently it's a heat rash. the doctor didn't do any tests, so i'm glad i cancelled, i would have still felt weird tomorrow knowing the diagnosis was with the doctor's eyes. and my neighbour tells me brisbane has had an outbreak of measles (which is a city about an hour's drive from here) so again i still have doubts, and i am still fine with cancelling. thing is, i'm bummed i cancelled z's first birthday, even though i'm happy with her avoiding potential sickness. i wish the other mum had just pulled out. i would have if my kids was sporting a horrible rash. GAH. and! my partner got called out to a wildfire tonight, he won't be let off until late tomorrow morning, so he won't be here until midday of z's birthday. forking arsonists. and then, he will probably go straight to bed, as you do when you've been awake for over 24 hours and the last 14 hours of that have been firefighting. blergh. i just feel blergh. oh and we're in a heatwave, maybe that has something to do with the blergh as well. sorry ppk mums, rant over, i swear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Jesus..measles! Let's hope the doc is correct. Do you know when/if other baby had a,fever? Man, I think I would flip out if someone did that at playgroup.

Have a happy birthday regardless. We had similar disappointments with birthday plans, but my other half reminded me that a good day for a one year old doesn't really require a lot. In our case, a visiting cat a couple of presents, and some spaghetti for dinner. Z will love the day because you and dad are there! Hope you all have a nice time and he's not *too* tired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ScandinaVegan wrote:
It's just that she's above the median curve for height and below it for weight, and has been for a while, maybe 60-65% for height and 25-30% for weight. She is gaining/growing steadily, and is otherwise healthy, so my feeling is that it's OK. Especially since her dad's tall and I'm slight. The health visitor just kept saying not to worry YET, BUT... BUT... which was a bit frustrating.

In any case tw goes in for the first round of vaccinations next week, after turning 3 months, so we'll see what the family doctor says. So far he has been really pleased with her, and maybe not so hung up on weight as the home health visitor is. If he thinks she is doing well then I won't worry about it at all.

I know this is hard, but Grey was this tiny baby and we kept hearing about how he was gaining poorly, etc, now he is one of the tallest kids and 50th percent for weight. His friend was a big guy as an infant and ow he is 15th percent for weight, so you never know. Just keep doing what yu are doing. Now that I've been through it I say if she is making all the milestones, then she is probably fine. She is also not off the chart. And just in perspective, Grey is about 90th for height, so he is still skinny since he is so tall!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm 
Semen Strong

LB is so wise! Its also really important to remember that the difference between 25% and 50% is sometimes an inch or a few ounces. So your baby can move up and down the curves at every appointment. Plus weighing and measuring babies isn't an exact science - L screams and wiggles and her weight measurement came out as just around 22lbs at her 1 your appt, which is ludicrous. On a different scale she was about 25. Don't know why it was off that day by so much, but hey, it happens.

If they're hitting milestones, you're golden :)

And madameD, that is my pettiest of pet peeves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

nnej, i keep trying to remind myself of that, that she's one and she has no idea and will have a great day if i let her eat dirt hahaha.

oh and i woke up this morning remember that there's one person i didn't un-invite :/ so uh, um. they may come over. awkward. but, upside, z is sleeping in!

and sv, i can't imagine what it's like to be told your baby isn't getting fat enough, it was a fear of mine before i had kids because people love to think being vegan is akin to child abuse. the simple fact of the matter is that babies are all different. skinny and fatty. are you breastfeeding? because i reckon, if your diet is good, your bf'ing regularly and the babe seems healthy, then they're fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

Ditto to those offering reassurance about weight. Grownups come in all different shapes and sizes, so why shouldn't their children too?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ScandinaVegan wrote:

My 2.5m old is 95% height and 60% weight (but the curve keeps dropping every few weeks to even lower... he was 90% at birth). I still havent seen a doc, but I think since he's still growing, its okay. And he is healthy... I wouldnt worry about it, hun.

talking about weight, here's his stats since birth...
Percentiles... (WHO chart)
Birth: 94%
1month: 86%
1.5month: 81%
2months: 61%
2.5months: 57%

But he's still up at 95% height so he's growing in height. The thing that concerns me is they say babies should gain 5-7oz in a week. Eli seems to be on a 3oz gain road. Is that enough??

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

V is 95% height, 25% weight. She's always been at 25% weight and at least 75% for height! But she's obviously meeting all her milestones and it was a tremendous relief to find pediatricians who look at her, not at numbers. As long as they "follow their curve" it probably won't raise any red flags. I don't understand it because an unhealthy child should be recognizable as such to a pediatrician without the growth charts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, most pediatricians seem to just watch for "following the curve." Going down in percentiles before a year seems potentially worrisome; staying at 25% all along is not worrisome at all. It's not just that people come in difference sizes, although that's obviously true, it's the freaking definition of the curves that half of the kids should be below 50% and half above! Anything else would not make sense (and would mean the curves don't mean what they claim to mean).

And my kid went down in percentiles - 50% to 10-25% over a 3 month period and had been sick for a month and wasn't eating hardly anything and nobody was worried. So who knows what these people are thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Zephyr's first tooth finally broke through! And he is crawling. And pulling himself up to stand while holding onto furniture. Isaiah is adding and subtracting and problem solving (use 3 numbers to make 10 - 5, 2, 3 or whatever) and even doing a little bit of multiplying. For fun! Love it. Things are getting exciting over here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's good to hear that from others too! I totally get the "we can't all be above average" concept of the curves, but also I definitely do feel that extra pressure of needing to prove that veganism is healthy and my baby does not need meat-fortified breastmilk.

bodhi, that's so exciting! So neat to see your kids progressing and learning like that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah Z!!! That is amazing to be crawling and pulling up already!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just another thought on the weight thing. Grey, like I said is at 50th perentile, he eats so much food. I don't think I could get him to eat more, he eats nearly as much as I do (well, some days). He eats a huge variety of food too, so I have stopped worrying if he weighs enough because I don't think I can get him to gain weight anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Gah...not that I was ever a frequent poster, but I've been away for so long, and so much has happened! We are in the process of building a new home (moving at the end of the month), and work has been crazy lately. So fun to see all the new and exciting things the PPKids are doing. Charlie is 11 months, and after some early difficulties with BLW (lots of gagging and vomiting), he now pounds food like a mad man. There really hasn't been a food we've offered that he hasn't eaten - it's kind of hilarious, actually. He's also 23 pounds, which is more than Lucy weighed at her 2-year app't. He's crawling everywhere, climbing, etc. Much different than his cautious older sister, which has been interesting. I'm a little terrified about handling our move (and husband goes out of town the day after we close), but I'm sure we'll survive since we have no other choice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm 

Glad to hear Charlie and Lucy are doing well! So exciting to be building a new home, good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Good luck, sofrito! I wanted to tell you that I passed the newborn diapers you sent me way back when to other good homes after Scarlett outgrew them, and they're now on their third New England baby!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 pm 

Inez turned two yesterday!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm 
Chip Strong

Two! These babies are growing up too fast. Happy birthday to Inez!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Happy Birthday Inez!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Happy birthday Inez! And thanks guys. So glad to hear the diapers are getting lots of good use!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Happy birthday Inez!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Happy birthday Inez, and congratulations on two years of parenting, Pinko! : )

I find it really hard to believe our little girl is two weeks old, I can't imagine two years! It already feels like she's been here forever [in a good way].
At her two week check up with my midwife she was up to 4.48kg [9lb14oz], having put on 330g in a week when apparently the average is 200g so she's obviously feeding well, which makes me really happy and relieved.
I'm also feeling incredibly lucky because so far she has been sleeping a six hour stretch most nights, usually from around 12 - 6am. She hasn't been sleeping so well during the afternoons because it's been really hot and humid, but I can deal with a bit of late afternoon grumpiness when I get a decent sleep at night!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 am 
And you never will.

poopiebaby had his 2 1/2 year well visit today. He loves going to the doctor, and he kept taking books over to her while we were talking and she was so sweet and read them and chatted with him about them. He's in the 50th percentile for height and 50-75th for weight. Anyone who remembers the FTT problems we had when he was little will know how relieved I am that he's doing so well now. Due to stuff I've talked about before (and won't bother you with again) we're still in the process of catching up on vaccines, and he got two new ones today - one in each leg. When we told him it was time to get some shots, he said okay and he watched the whole process without squirming or fussing at all. Then afterward I said to him "okay, we're all done!" and he turned to the nurse and said "thank you". You guys. I almost lost it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 106  Next