| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 533  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I know it's been said a thousand times but I am so sick of gratuitous honey in food.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i am sick of seeing honey in 'vegan' cook books...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:29 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't think I've seen honey in a vegan cookbook before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I spotted a book that is due to be realised soon that claims to be vegan so I looked up the author and a good chunk of her recipes called for honey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I went to an alleged vegan restaurant while on a business trip. I was going to order a beer and, out of habit, asked which of their selection were vegan. The waitress looked at me and said, "What do you mean? What's vegan beer? Like, you mean it's not made with yeast?".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I don't think I've seen honey in a vegan cookbook before.

I've seen it mostly in older ones, but I just got Vegan Indian Cooking, which lists "honey or agave" in some recipe(s), and she says that "some vegans do not consume honey."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 am 
WELFARIST!

I was bored and looking at all of the photos on the Food Fight! FB page and they posted about Target selling fur and asked people to call up the company and ask them to stop selling rabbit fur and someone replied with, "Eating vegan should be primarily about human health, and we should focus on compassion toward other humans. When we can get along with those "animals," it will be much easier to respect "animals" that aren't us. Prioritize your causes."

What?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I was bored and looking at all of the photos on the Food Fight! FB page and they posted about Target selling fur and asked people to call up the company and ask them to stop selling rabbit fur and someone replied with, "Eating vegan should be primarily about human health, and we should focus on compassion toward other humans. When we can get along with those "animals," it will be much easier to respect "animals" that aren't us. Prioritize your causes."

What?

Uhhhhh....??? So how does protesting the use of fur interfere with being compassionate to people? Whatever. Would it be lacking compassion if I said fork that person?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 am 
WELFARIST!

I started reading their Yelp page and I can't tell if some of these reviews are fake or not. An excerpt from someone who gave them two stars:
Quote:
It's extremely small, about the size of a corner store (really wouldn't call it a "grocery store"). A high point was a wide selection of veggie jerky, which my GF loves. Besides that it was your normal vegan fare AND VEGAN DOG FOOD!

Oh man this really pissed me off, I mean YOUR POOR PUPPY IS A CARNIVORE, don't rope him into your rhubarb crusade (like that vegan couple who killed their baby with soy milk). Vegan dog food should seriously be illegal, and besides, isn't just keeping a domestic animal somewhat exploitative? It seems to run counter to the ideals of veganism.

My thoughts on veganism aside, this place is kinda weak. Gave them a two star though, cuz I don't want to totally slam a small business, and if you are vegan, you should definitely check this place out. Afterwards hopefully you'll reevaluate your lifestyle and I'll cook you some bacon.

A three star reviewer:
Quote:
I know they're working with limited space and it's hard to get vegan junk food, but I wish the was more of a focus on real food here. Shelves are crammed with the vegan equivalents of crappy processed food that's been killing omnivores for decades

Y U NO SELL MORE GRANOLAAAA???

A one star reviewer:
Quote:
heaven forbid you even have a shopping budget, might as well have your Whole Foods (filter!) sent straight there ahead of time.

Maybe it's the customers more than the staff, but it feels more like a fancy nail salon or country club for fixed gear bikers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Olives wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

What?

Uhhhhh....??? So how does protesting the use of fur interfere with being compassionate to people? Whatever. Would it be lacking compassion if I said fork that person?

BAD VEGANISM: when my way is better than your way

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

torque wrote:
Olives wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

What?

BAD VEGANISM: when my way is better than your way

I <3 Torque

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

We must be so compassionate that we never even suggest by word or deed that anything anyone does is in any way questionable. In fact we should probably all wear fur while eating steak just to show how compassionate we are.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Olives wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

What?

except they are suggesting people call Target which last time i checked is a human being. are we going to hurt the CEO of Target's feelings by suggested they not sell rabbit fur?

oh wait i forgot, large corporations are people too. let's all go give Target a big hug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk wrote:
oh wait i forgot, large corporations are people too. let's all go give Target a big hug

Hahahahahahaha!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i have never seen target sell rabbit fur...i am a target hors d'oeuvre...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I bought a sweater at Target a few years ago, wore it and washed it once, and then discovered it contained 5% rabbit hair. I was PISSSSSED. I couldn't even return it at that point.

My fault, though. I failed to read the label. It just felt like a cotton sweater (and was, in fact, 95% cotton) so I wasn't thinking about wool... or rabbit hair. Which I would never think about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:26 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I always read labels of knit stuff - knit stuff is tricky!

PP of the day: oil free everything. Oil is not the devil!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm 
Impressive boner

missmuffcake wrote:
Oil is not the devil!

I don't get the anti-oil thing. Are people concerned about others drinking litre bottles of the stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Went to a restaurant last night that is pretty vegan friendly...labels things on the menu and all. Last night we got stuff from their booze menu for the first time. I chose a drink that was described as a chai with bourbon...I was really just expecting spiced tea and bourbon...which I thought sounded good. Boy was I surprised to find out when she sat it down that it was a chai LATTE with bourbon. Made with cow's milk. We had both ordered it too, so we felt really bad about wasting two of them. She apologized, but how could she have known, and honestly, I didn't think to ask, since to me just plain "chai" is spiced tea, no milk involved unless it's a latte.

Next time I will not assume.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When we've ordered chai in Indian restaurants they haven't been able to figure out how to give it to us without milk. I think the tea is usually steeped in milk traditionally and "chai latte" is an invention of Starbucks (or similar).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Ariann wrote:
When we've ordered chai in Indian restaurants they haven't been able to figure out how to give it to us without milk. I think the tea is usually steeped in milk traditionally and "chai latte" is an invention of Starbucks (or similar).

Yeah, chai is generally black tea bags with spices steeped in milk for a long time and then sugar added. I would always, always, always assume chai is milky.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

chai is usually milk and honey is another common thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 am 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Yeah, chai is generally black tea bags with spices steeped in milk for a long time and then sugar added. I would always, always, always assume chai is milky.
This.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:16 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Stumbled upon a forum on which I found a thread where someone asked for help with a school project about veganism. They wondered in which way it can be difficult to get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet. Someone answered that "vegans don't eat anything from animals so they don't get any protein which means they don't have any muscles and are really weak". TS thought it was a great answer and said they would include that in their essay.

I assume these people aren't studying at university level, or at least I hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Oh, and another highlight from the same thread: "A vegetarian diet can be really healthy if you eat chicken and fish".

What does that even mean.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 533  Next