| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:12 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Mozzarella question: does anyone know if it needs to sit in the brine to "harden up"? I might have my first failure here. It has taken shape in the brine, but it seems a little soft.... (cry!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yes, the mozz will get a little more firm if you refrigerate it in the brine, but in my experience, it is always a little softer than dairy mozzarella.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

How long do raw cashews stay good for? I've had some in my cupboard for about 5 months, and I'm wondering if I should use them to make cashew cream cheese or throw them out and buy new ones. I'm having a hard time telling by taste because I'm used to roasted cashews and really don't know what raw ones are "supposed" to taste like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

They taste absolutely disgusting when they go off- rancid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks Cgvegan, good to know. They're probably fine then because they didn't taste bad, just different. Cream cheese, here I come!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:31 pm 
Impressive boner

The brie is mostly good! Sometimes I detect a bit of an odd after taste but Mr8 said he couldn't detect it. I'll try it again tomorrow to determine if it does taste odd, if so I won't share it with my vegan friends this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm in love with this book. I made the gouda and brie for Xmas and both came out so well! Still have a bit of brie left, but almost done with the gouda. :) The gouda cracked in strange ways while air-drying, but the taste made up for the looks. The brie was a little more coconuty than I wish it was (have to check my oil, I may have been using virgin), but the texture was so great. I had ominvores going nuts over this stuff.

I let my rejuvelac go bad :( but I'm about to make another batch and make as much cheese as I possibly can so I can fill up the freezer with these treats! Love that this exists. First batch of rejuvelac was made with brown rice, but I'm going to try quinoa this time.

My cheese! The black spots on the brie are peppercorns that sunk in a bit. Not shown are two more small bries. http://www.flickr.com/photos/turkeybot/ ... hotostream

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Loomi wrote:
The incubation temperature being a bit low shouldn't matter. Sounds like your starter yoghurt was a dud, unless the milk was too hot when you added it.

In regards to the starch, do you mean the yoghurt was runnier after you incubated it? If so, that's weird!

You could try a different brand of yoghurt, if there are any available. But i guess buying some starter would be the most certain way to yoghurt.

Yes, it was nice and thick when I started incubating, and really runny after! Weird! I may try a different yoghurt. The one I bought says it contains "cultures", not "live cultures", so that may be it. It's the Alpro soy that comes in a plastic container. I started some cream cheese with it about 36 hours ago, and nothing much seems to be happening with that either.

Meanwhile, my rejuvelac seems to be done, so I'm going to try the Basic Cashew Cheese! I have high hopes for this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

rainbowwine wrote:
I'm in love with this book. I made the gouda and brie for Xmas and both came out so well! Still have a bit of brie left, but almost done with the gouda. :) The gouda cracked in strange ways while air-drying, but the taste made up for the looks.

Looking delicious! My gouda (and also air-dried camembert) formed a lot of deep cracks, probably almost one inch deep in some places. It looked hideous but tasted great and the flavor only got better in the fridge.

Made the boursin and it was very easy to make and pretty flavorful, though I only used dried herbs. The texture came out good also, firm enough to make a log. Been spreading it on some sesame-rye crackers and it's yummy.

At the moment I have the pub cheddar culturing and it tastes really good. I think I'll culture it for almost the full 48 hours since the next step of cooking it with beer will probably dilute the flavor a little.

I've made quinoa rejuvelac twice now and it's turned out fine, but after about two weeks in the fridge the jars start to form a white film on the bottom inside. I usually just shake them up every once in a while, but I was wondering if the film was normal or not...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

amonik wrote:
Loomi wrote:
You could try a different brand of yoghurt, if there are any available. But i guess buying some starter would be the most certain way to yoghurt.

Yes, it was nice and thick when I started incubating, and really runny after! Weird! I may try a different yoghurt. The one I bought says it contains "cultures", not "live cultures", so that may be it. It's the Alpro soy that comes in a plastic container. I started some cream cheese with it about 36 hours ago, and nothing much seems to be happening with that either.

I've tried making yogurt with Alpro as a starter a couple of times, and it never worked out. I thought my incubation setup was at fault, but maybe that yogurt is just dead. I'll try it again with Sojade. (Provamel is from the same company as Alpro, so I don't trust that either.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

amonik wrote:
I started some cream cheese with it about 36 hours ago, and nothing much seems to be happening with that either.

Give it another day or 2, I've made cream cheese many times and it seems to "suddenly turn". Nothing much happens at first, and then, heaven!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:27 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm going to get sprouting again with some brown rice. I hope it works this time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am 
ugh

My fiance has been on a yogurt kick lately, and I mentioned offhand that this book has a recipe for homemade yogurt. The next day he ordered the book! If I had planned for that to happen I would feel really clever. But either way, cheese will be happening soon, yay!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I used Alpro for my starter, some time back, still going strong!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I used alpro for both the batches of yoghurt that I've made. The first one that I made yesterday separated, 50 C was apparently too hot. I gave it another try today, but I failed with this one too because it didn't thicken. Don't know if it was the starter's fault or if I didn't heat the mixture long enough or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am impatiently waiting for yet another rejuvelac to sprout. I used quinoa, which I had the most success with last time around, but gosh, is it chilly in my apartment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

Herve (stincking eastern belgian cheese), made from natto: first prototype

I need a way to get it thicken though -has anyone tried tapioca?

(more pics here)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm 
Impressive boner

I still think the brie has an odd aftertaste, there's a sort of fishy taste in the back of my throat after eating it but Mr8 doesn't detect it. I have a sneaky feeling that my rejuvelac was a bit off so I've tossed it and am soaking some amaranth now for sprouting. If it doesn't work I'll try another grain until I get one that works well for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 am 

Max&Moritz wrote:
amonik wrote:
I started some cream cheese with it about 36 hours ago, and nothing much seems to be happening with that either.

Give it another day or 2, I've made cream cheese many times and it seems to "suddenly turn". Nothing much happens at first, and then, heaven!

Yeah, this morning it was nice and sour. I think I'll put some chives in it, I'm not really fond of plain cream cheese. It's a little grainy too, not quite blended enough - won't be as noticeable with herbs in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

So far I made the brie and boursin. They were ok but not great. Maybe I should have cultured the basic cheese a bit longer, I waited for about 24 hours and it smelled pretty strong so I put it in the fridge, but it didn't really have a cheesy taste.
My bf and I both felt a bit queasy after eating the cheeses, but I'm not sure if it was the cheese itself or something else caused it. I'm a bit squeamish about eating the rest so I might just throw it in the freezer and eat it some other time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

amonik wrote:
Max&Moritz wrote:
amonik wrote:

Yeah, this morning it was nice and sour. I think I'll put some chives in it, I'm not really fond of plain cream cheese. It's a little grainy too, not quite blended enough - won't be as noticeable with herbs in it.

Hmm, i have an experiment for you that might be worth a go. Try using some of your cream cheese as a yoghurt starter. Perhaps thicken a cup of (whatever) milk with a couple teaspoons/ a tablespoon of starch, add a teaspoon of cream cheese and pop it in a warm spot till it gets a bit tart.

There are a couple of possibilities that i can think of: the first being that something went wrong when you tried the yoghurt and the culture 'failed to thrive' but in the cream cheese they have survived and multiplied. Or perhaps they were a bit slow and sluggish in the yoghurt and needed longer. Anyways in this case your cream cheese should work as a starter.
The second is that the sourness in the cream cheese comes from 'wild' lactobacilli, which are inclined to make foods sour. ( i guess the AVC macadamia ricotta works this way). There's a good chance that what you'd end up with would be pretty yoghurty, even if not the exact strains found in yoghurt, and that it would at least be perfectly good to use in the air-dried cheddar, gouda etc.

Oh, and i used the cream cheese as the starter for a batch of yoghurt once and it worked very nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm 

Loomi wrote:

Hmm, i have an experiment for you that might be worth a go. Try using some of your cream cheese as a yoghurt starter. Perhaps thicken a cup of (whatever) milk with a couple teaspoons/ a tablespoon of starch, add a teaspoon of cream cheese and pop it in a warm spot till it gets a bit tart.

Interesting! I may try it this weekend.

Also: I used some of the Cream cheese in a mushroom pie today and it was great! Easy recipe: cut a Pound of mushrooms into big pieces and Cook them until most of the moisture is gone. Add some bouillon powder, salt and black pepper, garlic powder and a teaspoon of powdered ginger (no, not fresh!) Stir in a cup of Cream cheese, put it in a pie crust and bake until it seems done/you're too hungry to wait any longer.

I have no idea why random Words are capitalised when I'm Writing. I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Cornelie wrote:
I've tried making yogurt with Alpro as a starter a couple of times, and it never worked out. I thought my incubation setup was at fault, but maybe that yogurt is just dead. I'll try it again with Sojade. (Provamel is from the same company as Alpro, so I don't trust that either.)

Sojade works for me. But, I'm not sure it's yoghurt by definition because it has Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidus, and for a cultured product to be considered yoghurt it has to have Lactobacillus bulgaricus and/or Streptococcus thermophilus.

Either Alpro or Provamel has worked once for me, but not again. Joya (Austrian brand) has worked once, too, but never again. So, I use Sojade, although it has different cultures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have the cream cheese culturing now and I am very impatient to make faux lox-flavored cream cheese. I also have the smoked provolone cooling on the stove. I scraped the pan and tasted it and it is amazingly good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I think I was able to save my yoghurt. I added another 3 tablespoons of (Alpro) starter after it had cultured a couple of hours, and after that it thickened up. Haven't tried it yet but it smells nice and sour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 63  Next